Autopsy Q-Clash XXIV vs Brisbane Lions @ Brisbane Cricket Ground - 20/05/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Skimmed the comments. Looks like people are angry, meh.

Imagine being upset that we lose a game that Every single one of us knew we would lose…

Sure I would of liked it a couple of goals closer but it is what it is.

Hope the boys brush it off and sweep the Darwin games.

Then it’s on. Lots of winnable games in the back half of the season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Turned it on right at the point where Charlie cameron was given that free off the ball for falling over and thought here we go.

Managed to stay in it despite Brisbane clearly being the better team.

They asserted their dominance last qtr.

Midfield got pummelled.

Humphrey, wow.

Good:
Humphrey,
Andrew (despite a few gaffs, clearly his best game I thought)
Atkins looks reliable
Lukosius marking improving - taking a few on lead under pressure - 7 contested marks last 3 games
2 red time goals (should have been a 3rd)

Bad:
Missed Touk badly
Ellis might be past it now - wingers banging down door in VFL Sharp or Hollands 😬
Selection - just play Jeffrey instead of Day.
Just too many c grade players in the team.
Lemmens hamstring with Adelaide’s small forwards coming up. Guess Ben Long the replacement.

Good:
Humphrey,
Andrew (despite a few gaffs, clearly his best game I thought)
Atkins looks reliable
Lukosius marking improving - taking a few on lead under pressure - 7 contested marks last 3 games
2 red time goals (should have been a 3rd)

Bad:
Missed Touk badly
Ellis might be past it now - wingers banging down door in VFL Sharp or Hollands
Selection - just play Jeffrey instead of Day.
Just too many c grade players in the team.
Lemmens hamstring with Adelaide’s small forwards coming up. Guess Ben Long the replacement.

Good post, let me add:

Josh Dunkley’s job on Rowell was the key to Brisbane’s win. If Rowell does not get the ball, he can’t give it to Anderson. If Anderson does not get the ball forward, we loss our strength going forward from clearances.
It was Humphrey's inside work that kept us in the match in the first half. When he puts together four quarters consistently, our midfield will be equal to any in the competition. Imagine Humphrey inside with Touk, Noah, Rowell, and Witts, not to mention potential B/A-graders, Davies and Hollands.

I'm going to back Mac Andrew’s development. Try kicking in stilts under pressure. He will grow into his body soon enough and be a key position defender for us for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And this is partly why the QClash is still yet to find its feet and deliver some real feeling to it. I'm hopeful we'll get there in time, but rivalries aren't built between everyone's favourite and second favourite teams.

Judging by this comment thread the sentiment probably isn't reciprocal among Suns supporters (good!), but it remains pretty common from our end I find.

Don't worry, I will be hoping for a straight sets exit from finals led by no-shows from Daniher and Hipwood who stay true to form when it counts. No injuries so no excuses.

And then a salary cap scandal (looks dodgy from here), and throw in Queensland Cricket starting a new IPL funded T20 winter comp at the Gabba featuring all the Indian stars so they take back the Gabba and the Brisbane AFL team has to find another ground to play at.

Spoken from the heart by a former Fitzroy member who still feels insulted by another club stealing our mascot, song and colours.

So, you know, Brisbane can get stuffed.

Just re watched the highlights they just simply set up across the ground way better and their ability to transition from defence to attack is much more superior than ours they just wait for our predictable forward bomb and run away with it especially towards the end of the last quarter because we’d cooked ourselves by continually turning it over.

I genuinely think the game plan Dew has implemented works, it's the players inability to hit targets that stunts it. We are just seriously lacking some good ball use on the wings, a 4th mid with footskills, another Wil Powell is needed down back and a small/medium forward with footskills. We have to target players who use the ball well.

We basically had the same plan as Brisbane they just executed better, got on top in the midfield and the home ground advantage helps. Missing simple set shots didn't allow early scoreboard pressure then the mark after siren really hurt.

Yeah, look. I could have expected it to go that way. The late goal flurry was very predictable. It’s what Lions do to us. They are in a massive win streak and playing at home. We needed everyone to play at full potential to win, which clearly didn’t happen.

The reality is that Day playing was a mistake. He played serviceable when he replaced Casboult, but having them both is criminal. He is not a good player and is our worst performing tall in the VFL by far. I refuse to believe that anyone can honestly tell me that a lazy Chol is worse than a mediocre Day.

Ainsworth playing was also a mistake. Hasn’t been good this year, and two weeks off didn’t help. Holman was also underdone, but at least contributed touches, tackles and a goal.

Witts dominated hit outs and we lost clearances. Our mids were beaten by probably the best mids in the comp. Anderson and Rowell got given a bath. Humphrey stepped up though.

Davies can go back to the VFL. Sorry lad, but he ain’t it right now. Last week was the anomaly, and this is what his game always looks like. We need to try a different mid/wing.

Ben King continues to find a few goals.
Unfortunately, so did Daniher (which shows we have no defender to run with giant talls who get up the ground).

We can’t play three talls plus Luko unless they are King + Chol using their mobility, with Casboult as the enforcer/ruck. Even then it’s an every now and then strategy.

Yeah, look. I could have expected it to go that way. The late goal flurry was very predictable. It’s what Lions do to us. They are in a massive win streak and playing at home. We needed everyone to play at full potential to win, which clearly didn’t happen.

The reality is that Day playing was a mistake. He played serviceable when he replaced Casboult, but having them both is criminal. He is not a good player and is our worst performing tall in the VFL by far. I refuse to believe that anyone can honestly tell me that a lazy Chol is worse than a mediocre Day.

Ainsworth playing was also a mistake. Hasn’t been good this year, and two weeks off didn’t help. Holman was also underdone, but at least contributed touches, tackles and a goal.

Witts dominated hit outs and we lost clearances. Our mids were beaten by probably the best mids in the comp. Anderson and Rowell got given a bath. Humphrey stepped up though.

Davies can go back to the VFL. Sorry lad, but he ain’t it right now. Last week was the anomaly, and this is what his game always looks like. We need to try a different mid/wing.

Ben King continues to find a few goals.
Unfortunately, so did Daniher (which shows we have no defender to run with giant talls who get up the ground).

We can’t play three talls plus Luko unless they are King + Chol using their mobility, with Casboult as the enforcer/ruck. Even then it’s an every now and then strategy.
Agree, too many talls and Day should not play. But let's be honest when Berry came in it made no difference.

As you said midfield got obliterated and as a whole the team did not perform well. I say it's because it's very difficult to back it up after Perth trip (haha, kidding). Despite that somehow, we were only 5 points down early in the 4th quarter.

It's just one game, I would not make some long-term conclusions e.g ., Davies who did have ordinary game but played just 21 games and turned 21 year old only 2 month ago. You could be also harsh on Rowell, Anderson and so on.

Ainsworth is best 22, yes, was average as he probably could not run last 3 weeks. That miss was as bad as it gets.

Unless Chol does improve his effort, I would have him in VFL. IMO, you can't have players who don't work hard, it kills team morale.

This loss did not bother me as much as Freo, Essendon and Demons ones. We were really never in it and Lions are a top team, currently humming. Dunkley was fantastic addition.

Last edited:
Agree, too many talls and Day should not play. But let's be honest when Berry came in it made no difference.
Yeah, game was mostly over when Berry came on for Day.
Unless Chol does improve his effort, I would have him in VFL. IMO, you can't have players who don't work hard, it kills team morale.
Personally, I’d rather a lazy Chol who kicks 2 and is actually a forward line threat that makes defenders accountable than Day, who must be the easiest job a defender at AFL level could ask for. Chol can also make something from nothing with a bit of X Factor which I think this team needs.

I also think Chol and Luko do not benefit from playing four talls, as King is the main target, then Casboult. Yet both can do so much with just a few moments in a game. Dunno. Forward line mix just isn’t working right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way, he was on late in the third, and we were five points down a minute into the last quarter. The game should have been still alive.

Berry just didn’t impact the game at all. A sub should be fresh enough to at least do something.
It might not have been over on the scoreboard, but Brisbane were the better side.

Berry’s lack of contributions are still sad. But I’m not sure where we tried to put him? Maybe forward (the place the ball didn’t really go). Not sure.

I don’t really like small forwards as a sub. That time Rosas was sub was fine though, as we played him more up the ground, so fresh legs can impact.

Haven’t seen the game yet but totally unsurprising result. Was just hoping it would be a bit closer. Strange selections (too tall), predictable last quarter.
Brisbane’s team remind me of the Wagner group - sadistic mercenaries who love beating up on inferior opponents but fail on the big stage against hardened opposition. We might need to recruit a few Ukrainians to outgrind them.
Simply put, they are a top 3 team, just about full strength playing on their home deck and we are a 12th-15th team missing our best player.

Berry spent 38 mins on the ground and had 2 touched
Day spent 68 mins on the ground and also had 2 touches.

You can’t tell me 105 mins of Jeffrey or Sexton or even someone out of form like Hollands would t have been more productive and a bigger scoring threat

I genuinely think the game plan Dew has implemented works, it's the players inability to hit targets that stunts it. We are just seriously lacking some good ball use on the wings, a 4th mid with footskills, another Wil Powell is needed down back and a small/medium forward with footskills. We have to target players who use the ball well.
Haven’t seen the game yet but totally unsurprising result. Was just hoping it would be a bit closer. Strange selections (too tall), predictable last quarter.
Brisbane’s team remind me of the Wagner group - sadistic mercenaries who love beating up on inferior opponents but fail on the big stage against hardened opposition. We might need to recruit a few Ukrainians to outgrind them.
Simply put, they are a top 3 team, just about full strength playing on their home deck and we are a 12th-15th team missing our best player.

We also need to remember we are probably 2yrs behind in team development & maturity than the Lions.

They are clearly a top 4 team entering their window. They have be able to trade in 2 x A grade game winning mids in Neale & Dunkley to compliment their developing mids. That’s massive.

And 1 x high profile, albeit B+ key fwd in Daniher for structure. Plus premiership hero Gunstan… (and Hodge before that).

This creates so much positive Vic media love. Which has a flow on effect for the club as a whole.

At full strength, I think we are currently a 10-12 side hopefully entering our 7-9 window next season. Miller and Weller are massive outs for us atm & we can’t cover them yet.

Our mature recruits are only B/C graders at best, which unfortunately comes with our unreliable reputation.

Casboult is too far past his prime to win us a final next year.

Chol has massive potential but lacks physical commitment. He wants to be a fwd flanker, not a key fwd. So we need to re-structure around that to get him back in the team.

Long has physicality but lacks the polish we need out of defence. Right age bracket, so hopefully he improves.

Ellis has been very serviceable but again too far past his prime to win a final next year.

And Sam Day hasn’t been best 22 for a couple of years now. Dew’s lost the plot on that one…

I think Jeffrey has the potential to become a 2nd Powell. Just needs more physical commitment and kicking polish which will come. Has got the aerial work covered in spades.

We need a couple of quality mature recruits in the right age bracket to help win us a final next year and beyond. Not more C graders plodding away in the ressies.

Berry spent 38 mins on the ground and had 2 touched
Day spent 68 mins on the ground and also had 2 touches.

You can’t tell me 105 mins of Jeffrey or Sexton or even someone out of form like Hollands would t have been more productive and a bigger scoring threat
Couldn’t agree more.

Although after Berry came on it was a Brisbane avalanche in the 4th, so I don’t think many of our forwards got near it. Day was on when we had a better contest and we were hitting the scoreboard.

Either way, we’re only as good as our weakest players. Gotta get the right balance.

Weller is a big out. Obviously Touk too; but I think Weller gives us the speed and ball use we really missed.

You may have missed the news that Wagner just took Bakhmut and the vast majority of Ukraines elite troops with it
Why Ukraine allowed itself to be drawn into protecting that meat grinder will be for historians to decide
But yes
The Gabba is a meat grinder and we are raw recruits in comparison to Brisbane
Missed Touk who is usually BOG in a losing team
Missed him so much
We desperately need a tall lock down defender
Damn your Lolly Legs Rory T
Damn them to Hell
It’s why I don’t understand Sandy Brock up forward in the VFL
I had him as the next guy in line

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The game really went in waves IMO. We were definitely dominating them in the first 10-15 minutes of the game but didn't take advantage of that dominance on the scoreboard. Then Brisbane started to get in their groove and did take advantage of it to go in with a slim lead at quarter time. The second and third quarters felt very similar to me where Brisbane dominated us for about 15-20 minutes but just didn't put the foot on the neck and we were about to kick multiple red time goals to keep the game close at the end of each quarter.

I must admit when Humphrey kicked the first goal of the fourth quarter, I started to believe we were going get on top of them. Brisbane had been working so hard and getting so little reward for their effort and the game was right there up for grabs if we were ready to take it, instead Brisbane went to another gear and made us look very uncompetitive in that fourth quarter. It sucks that we got within one kick in the fourth quarter and the end score suggests it wasn't really close at all. Did our boys tire after a trip the long trips to and from Perth last week? Did we make a mistake in selecting Day?

So many questions but there were definitely positive to take from the QClash as well. I was very impressed with Lukosius' contested marking and I think that's a string he really needs to add to his bow if he wants to play forward for us. It was also good to see King shaking off two early misses on goal to kick three straight. Humphrey was really good and I do wonder if he's the 'big game player' we've been looking for. Ballard was phenomenal and I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't in everyone's team of the week. Time to regroup and start our DarWIN stretch.

Wil Powell on the wing, Joel Jeffrey in his spot.

We also need to remember we are probably 2yrs behind in team development & maturity than the Lions.

They are clearly a top 4 team entering their window. They have be able to trade in 2 x A grade game winning mids in Neale & Dunkley to compliment their developing mids. That’s massive.

And 1 x high profile, albeit B+ key fwd in Daniher for structure. Plus premiership hero Gunstan… (and Hodge before that).

This creates so much positive Vic media love. Which has a flow on effect for the club as a whole.

At full strength, I think we are currently a 10-12 side hopefully entering our 7-9 window next season. Miller and Weller are massive outs for us atm & we can’t cover them yet.

Our mature recruits are only B/C graders at best, which unfortunately comes with our unreliable reputation.

Casboult is too far past his prime to win us a final next year.

Chol has massive potential but lacks physical commitment. He wants to be a fwd flanker, not a key fwd. So we need to re-structure around that to get him back in the team.

Long has physicality but lacks the polish we need out of defence. Right age bracket, so hopefully he improves.

Ellis has been very serviceable but again too far past his prime to win a final next year.

And Sam Day hasn’t been best 22 for a couple of years now. Dew’s lost the plot on that one…

I think Jeffrey has the potential to become a 2nd Powell. Just needs more physical commitment and kicking polish which will come. Has got the aerial work covered in spades.

We need a couple of quality mature recruits in the right age bracket to help win us a final next year and beyond. Not more C graders plodding away in the ressies.
Day is going to be the worst 150 game player of all time he's beyond terrible and playing him when a guy like Jeffrey and others clearly need game time is unbelievable.

Sent from my CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Day is going to be the worst 150 game player of all time he's beyond terrible and playing him when a guy like Jeffrey and others clearly need game time is unbelievable.

Sent from my CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I just don't get it
He was cooked 3 years ago
Probably even before he did his hip at Broady

Remove this Banner Ad

Back