Autopsy Q-Clash XXIV vs Brisbane Lions @ Brisbane Cricket Ground - 20/05/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

How about that Bailey Humphrey kid!? I can’t remember the last time I saw an 18 year old kid with 7 games to his name play as well as him and with so much maturity. He belongs out there every week I’m sure of that. His hardness at the contest is incredible he plays fearless.

And how about Charlie Ballard? Not sure how many intercept marks he finished with as I was at the game but I think I counted 8 at the end of the third quarter. Surely he’s got to be in contention for an All Australian blazer if he keeps his form up.

Really liked what I saw from a lot of players last night besides Day I think Chol definitely would have offered more and is much more flexible and diverse in the contest. Day is a one trick pony and very lazy.

Interestingly when Cam Rayner took a mark and had a set shot for goal (which he missed and hit the post from memory) Brando absolutely sprayed Noah as it was his man and Noah was about 15 metres away from the contest and left Rayner all on his own. It was great to see the boys holding each other accountable and to a high standard, can’t say I’ve seen that too often.

About all Ellis did was spray his teammates last night. I dont mind players giving each other a reminder but when it's your turn you better back up your words with actions. Ellis is one of the softest players in the afl so would be hard to take criticism from him.

Don't worry, I will be hoping for a straight sets exit from finals led by no-shows from Daniher and Hipwood who stay true to form when it counts. No injuries so no excuses.

Seems to be a comment made more by emotion than evidence. Those guys were crucial in the finals series last year.

We wouldn't have beaten Richmond without both of them.

Then Hipwood stepped up even more vs the Dees while Joe was at his child's birth.

Without them, it was likely straight sets.

Last edited:

Seems to be a comment made more by emotion than evidence. Those guys were crucial in the finals series last year.

We wouldn't have beaten Richmond without both of them.

Then Hipwood stepped up even more vs the Dees while Joe was at his child's birth.

Without them, it was likely straight sets.
ok

The day Brisbane folds and gets sent back to Fitzroy where it belongs can't come soon enough
We are the true Queensland club

Perhaps, but you might need to let Queensland know this, as I’m not sure they’ve noticed.

Perhaps, but you might need to let Queensland know this, as I’m not sure they’ve noticed.
Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

No matter what the scoreboard said, we were never in the game. We were rubbish, they were good. Polished team game from Brisbane, too few played well for us.
Staying in the game despite not playing well is something the good teams do.

Obviously would have liked to play better but being within a goal into the last is positive.

How about that Bailey Humphrey kid!? I can’t remember the last time I saw an 18 year old kid with 7 games to his name play as well as him and with so much maturity. He belongs out there every week I’m sure of that. His hardness at the contest is incredible he plays fearless.

And how about Charlie Ballard? Not sure how many intercept marks he finished with as I was at the game but I think I counted 8 at the end of the third quarter. Surely he’s got to be in contention for an All Australian blazer if he keeps his form up.

Really liked what I saw from a lot of players last night besides Day I think Chol definitely would have offered more and is much more flexible and diverse in the contest. Day is a one trick pony and very lazy.

Interestingly when Cam Rayner took a mark and had a set shot for goal (which he missed and hit the post from memory) Brando absolutely sprayed Noah as it was his man and Noah was about 15 metres away from the contest and left Rayner all on his own. It was great to see the boys holding each other accountable and to a high standard, can’t say I’ve seen that too often.
I understand what you mean but can you enlighten me on Days one trick because I have never seen it.

Sent from my CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way, he was on late in the third, and we were five points down a minute into the last quarter. The game should have been still alive.

Berry just didn’t impact the game at all. A sub should be fresh enough to at least do something.
Yeah, Berry was non-existent. Berry could be waiting a long time for another opportunity. Where was my favourite boy Ace (was pretty average in VFL though)?

Think Sam Walsh, Nick Daicos and Will Ashcroft have something to say about that but he is very very impressive for a 7 gamer. I think he also has a clear point of difference to those accumulator types though in his power and impact per possession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About all Ellis did was spray his teammates last night. I dont mind players giving each other a reminder but when it's your turn you better back up your words with actions. Ellis is one of the softest players in the afl so would be hard to take criticism from him.
Yeah, Ellis was a bit embarrassing with his sprays while having a bad game. Wil gave him spray too and Ellis was not happy.

The day Brisbane folds and gets sent back to Fitzroy where it belongs can't come soon enough

Fitzroy were folded and sent to the Bears sunshine 😘

ETA: The one true Qld club is the club that was using carrara oval looooooooooong b4 you lot were a thought in the AFLs mind. Remember that.

Last edited:
Our time will come and when it does it's going to be a sweet, sweet victory over the Lions. Bottle this emotion and let it out at the return QClash later this year when our boys will need every bit of energy they can get to pulled off an inspired win.

Not sure if others felt this way but sitting in the stands at the Gabba last night, I felt there was a lot of worried Lions fans contemplating what a loss to us would mean up until the fourth quarter when they ran away with it. They felt it and they knew what it meant if they were going to lose. It's just a matter of time.

Berry spent 38 mins on the ground and had 2 touched
Day spent 68 mins on the ground and also had 2 touches.

You can’t tell me 105 mins of Jeffrey or Sexton or even someone out of form like Hollands would t have been more productive and a bigger scoring threat

I said after last week Oea is the perfect sub

someone out of form like Hollands

There is such a big difference between these two it's unbelievable.
Bear was our best player in a Q-Clash
Hollands got 7 touches against Werribee
One needs to have a fn good look at himself and start having a go.

I don't mean 🐻 just for clarification

Our time will come and when it does it's going to be a sweet, sweet victory over the Lions. Bottle this emotion and let it out at the return QClash later this year when our boys will need every bit of energy they can get to pulled off an inspired win.

Not sure if others felt this way but sitting in the stands at the Gabba last night, I felt there was a lot of worried Lions fans contemplating what a loss to us would mean up until the fourth quarter when they ran away with it. They felt it and they knew what it meant if they were going to lose. It's just a matter of time.

Of course it is. You can't keep winning forever. There's no doubt we'll drop a game (maybe two) before the end of the 2024 or 2025 season.

And when we do, I sincerely hope we lose to the Suns. Whatever helps grow the game in Qld.

Edit: Seriously though, the next five games are very gettable for the suns. Nothing there that is insurmountable by any stretch, even the Pies at HBS.

Last edited:
In the end outclassed by superior opposition.
After the first 15 minutes never really looked like winning even though the scores were close.
POSITIVES
Humphreys outstanding performance ,someone to get excited about.
Ballard best form of his career .
Witts to battle manfully with no help.
King had some good moments (except for his kicking)
NEGATIVES
Midfield worst performance i can remember from our midfield group.
Disposal generally is well below average, needs to improve quickly otherwise we can not expect to beat top teams.
Too many players not contributing in any way .
Forward line barring King lacks consistent goalkickers .
Doesnt get any easier next week .

On a side note watched the 2nd half of reserves (yuk) wasnt a pretty watch.
Reality we have depth but very few potential best 22 players going forward.
Too many players not good enough for First team.
Big question ??where are Flanders Holland and Chol at.
Flanders no X factor , maybe just maybe give him a run of 3 or 4 games in the seniors in the midfield rotations
to see if he has any thing to offer us going forward .
Holland huge disappointment showing nothing , dont care where he is playing should be dominating this grade of football.
Doubt he will be here next year unless huge change of attitude.
Chol we need his size and goalkicking in the seniors but again attitude and effort stinks.
We need at least two of these guys to find form or change attitude to help us challenge the top teams.
Have a GOOD WEEK ALL.

I have written a bit of a post-mortem on that 4th quarter and the fixes that are necessary

1) The midfield got clobbered when it mattered, probably due to fatigue SO

Rotate the centre bounces a bit more like the rest of the league so that our best players aren’t completely cooked with 20 minutes to go.

2) The defence could not escape their own half whether from kick ins or when under pressure SO

Simplify the kick in strategy to suit the Suns strength in contested footy AND

Drop one of the talls in the forward line and bring in a small forward who can apply more pressure at ground level.
Dissecting the Suns 4th Quarter collapse vs Brisbane

I have written a bit of a post-mortem on that 4th quarter and the fixes that are necessary

1) The midfield got clobbered when it mattered, probably due to fatigue SO

Rotate the centre bounces a bit more like the rest of the league so that our best players aren’t completely cooked with 20 minutes to go.

2) The defence could not escape their own half whether from kick ins or when under pressure SO

Simplify the kick in strategy to suit the Suns strength in contested footy AND

Drop one of the talls in the forward line and bring in a small forward who can apply more pressure at ground level.
Dissecting the Suns 4th Quarter collapse vs Brisbane
Well written and good analysis.
Should send it to the coaches

Of course it is. You can't keep winning forever. There's no doubt we'll drop a game (maybe two) before the end of the 2024 or 2025 season.

And when we do, I sincerely hope we lose to the Suns. Whatever helps grow the game in Qld.

Edit: Seriously though, the next five games are very gettable for the Suns. Nothing there that is insurmountable by any stretch, even the Pies at HBS.

Despite the best efforts of the umpires.

One down four to go :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back