Certified Legendary Thread Q: Why did Freeman Leave St Kilda? (A: He was delisted)

Should the thread be closed

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Olympics should be held in Athens every other time.
Can't agree.
The country alas is too financially in trouble.
Moving it every four years has given it a chance for the world.
Pity the various bad IOC delegates have stuffed it up for many good people.

But when you watch Bolt and co.... All is forgiven

Can't agree.

apparently a permanent home, maybe Athens, is already being discussed at the IOC.

Bomber supporters are so touchy. I couldn't agree with them putting Merrett alongside Bont and Cripps as the best young talent in the league, and they are having a meltdown hahahaha.

Can't agree.

Who's faster over 25,50,100mts ...bolt or a horse? Real question

apparently a permanent home, maybe Athens, is already being discussed at the IOC.
Melbourne would be ideal in my view.

MCG: opening, closing, athletics
Etihad: swimming (imagine 50,000 there for swimming, have to build pool on top of ground)
Rod Laver: gymnastics
Hisense: cycling velodrome
Third in the tennis centre: tennis and outside courts
Docklands: rowing, canoeing
Brighton / St Kilda beach: beach volleyball
Albert park lake: bmx bikes
Albert park: pentathlon
Beach road:marathon to MCG via Albert Patk lake
Beach Road: cycling time trial
Flemington: equestrian and cross country horses etc (Werribee as well)
Great ocean road to Melbourne: cycling road race
Port Phillip bay: sailing
Etihad: soccer finals (after pool removed)(other soccer at various stadia etc)
AAMI park: soccer
Hockey centre: hockey
Royal Melbourne: Golf
Beach Road and Bay: triathlon
Albert Park: Rapids etc
Melbourne exhibition centre: fencing
Art Centre: weightlifting
New exhibition centre: wrestling, judo, martial arts various
Festival Hall (revamped) Boxing
Moonee Valley: Archery and shooting
Basketball Centre: basketball

Something like that

Who's faster over 25,50,100mts ...bolt or a horse? Real question
I've given it more thought.
Usain Bolt would start quick, now assuming a horse jumps straight away (both participants are on their preferred surfaces) in a super short distance I'm thinking maybe not the horse easily, though just the horse.
The moment the distance moves to 50 meters then it's all over its the horse.

Horse all the way. Not close.

A decent sprinter (equine) can churn out 5.5s 100m splits at the end of a 1200m race. Granted they're going to be slower getting out of the blocks but come on, if Usain is running a 9.8s 100m, then his first 25m is going to take nearly 3.0s, in that time the horse is fast approaching the 40m mark and pulling away.

To put it another way, Usain is not noted for being a great starter, he would have been very close to Jahvid Best of St Lucia at the 40m of his 100m heat before stoking up and pulling away. Jahvid Best was a former NFL running back for the Detroit Lions, he retired due to concussions. Anyway, Jahvid Best at the NFL combine ran a 4.35s 40 yard dash. Any decent sprinting horse would nearly double that distance (of 40 yards) in 4.35s.

Last edited:
Horse, horse, horse

That's my instinct.
Depends on the horse i'd say. Bolt runs an average of 37 - 38 kmh over 100 metres, with a top speed of somewhere around 47kmh (?) in part of that 100 metres.
Horses gallop at around 40 - 48 kmh (depending on the horse). But they take a few metres to get to that speed.
So, if you take a slow horse V's Bolt, it might be close.
Perhaps: Bolt, Bolt, Horse. ??

A decent sprinter (equine) can churn out 5.5s 100m splits at the end of a 1200m race. Granted they're going to be slower getting out of the blocks but come on, if Usain is running a 9.8s 100m, then his first 25m is going to take nearly 3.0s, in that time the horse is fast approaching the 40m mark and pulling away.

To put another way, Usain is not noted for being a great starter, he would have been very close to Jahvid Best of St Lucia at the 40m of his 100m heat before stoking up and pulling away. Jahvid Best was a former NFL running back for the Detroit Lions, he retired due to concussions. Anyway, Jahvid Best at the NFL combine ran a 4.35s 40 yard dash. Any decent sprinting horse would nearly double that distance (of 40 yards) in 4.35s.
How about a really really old horse?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the horse i'd say. Bolt runs an average of 37 - 38 kmh over 100 metres, with a top speed of somewhere around 47kmh (?) in part of that 100 metres.
Horses gallop at around 40 - 48 kmh (depending on the horse). But they take a few metres to get to that speed.
Perhaps.
If we are using Bolt, then to be fair we should use a horse that's reasonably quick. Not a horse that I'd back, they are slow.
Horses can go 100 m in 5.5 seconds or so at top speed.

To put it another way, Usain is not noted for being a great starter, he would have been very close to Jahvid Best of St Lucia at the 40m of his 100m heat before stoking up and pulling away. Jahvid Best was a former NFL running back for the Detroit Lions, he retired due to concussions. Anyway, Jahvid Best at the NFL combine ran a 4.35s 40 yard dash. Any decent sprinting horse would nearly double that distance (of 40 yards) in 4.35s.
I'd peg your numbers as correct.
We only need accept the horse will want to get going from the barrier.
But in this hypothetical it's about speed of human v equine beast.
It's the horse ofcourse

A greyhound will beat both.
Except in NSW ;)

(Getting banned there, if people didn't know the cntext. Totally dumb move by the way. If the animal cruelty is the issue make the laws to imprison them, don't hurt thousands who earn fairly from the industry and live their dogs.)

Perhaps.
If we are using Bolt, then to be fair we should use a horse that's reasonably quick. Not a horse that I'd back, they are slow.
Horses can go 100 m in 5.5 seconds or so at top speed.
Yep. I know how you feel :(
You are correct. Racehorses can run at speeds of up to 75-80 kmh in short distances, so against this, no contest.
But an old, fat draught horse? My money is on Bolt...
(and like my punting, i will probably lose :'()

Yep. I know how you feel :(
You are correct. Racehorses can run at speeds of up to 75-80 kmh in short distances, so against this, no contest.
But an old, fat draught horse? My money is on Bolt...
(and like my punting, i will probably lose :'()
Lol.
The dreaded punt. I'm lucky I just don't bet much. Love the racing history though.
You can't lose on Usain Bolt

40-48 km/h?

Black Caviar's Flemington track record for 1000m of 55.42s gives an average speed of 64.96km/h. Over an entire kilometre. It's not close.

40-48 km/h?

Black Caviar's Flemington track record for 1000m of 55.42s gives an average speed of 64.96km/h. Over an entire kilometre. It's not close.
She was a handy mare, that Black Caviar, handy indeed

40-48 km/h?

Yep, you are right. Racehorse every time.
My post wasn't clear on what i was trying to convey. i was trying say "Depending on the horse" Say a Draught Horse, and the results might be different, would you say?

Anyway, how fast would Black Caviar be with Usain Bolt as the jockey.... Wait, it doesn't work that way, does it...
I'll show myself out....:oops:

Back