Certified Legendary Thread Q: Why did Freeman Leave St Kilda? (A: He was delisted)

Should the thread be closed

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough that he left. At the end of the day he knows that there are to many in front of him. With the Aints he is a certain walk up as they paid him premium $$$.
Remember with Scotland?? Went to the Scum and played every game. But with the elite midfield we had he couldn't.
That's my take and I'm not KB.

He be gone,good wishes.
And that is that

There's no hate. It's just weak that Freeman didn't even try. It's not like he had no shot at all considering we had Derek Hine and Rendall rating him enough to take him at pick 10.

He was injured for two years, he didn't have chance to try. He still had shot with us, but it was long shot with all our midfield depth, he was offered a better shot by the team he grew up supporting and more money.

Conversely Scharenburg is entering his 3rd year in a row on the injury list. Speaks volumes about the two.

Scharenberg wasn't injured when he re-signed and actually played some games. The situations aren't comparable.

His form whilst well down due to injury was still best 22 every day of the week and certainly better than any other alternative playing in the VFL that we had on our books that year.

I disagree with that, we had Adam in the VFL racking up possessions whilst Swan was struggling. We should have played and let Swan rest for a couple of weeks to get to fully fitness.

He was injured for two years, he didn't have chance to try. He still had shot with us, but it was long shot with all our midfield depth, he was offered a better shot by the team he grew up supporting and more money.

Scharenberg wasn't injured when he re-signed and actually played some games. The situations aren't comparable.

No two situations are ever exactly the same...but Scahrenburg has been injured longer and almost broke into the best 22 at years end...Freeman didn't even try.

Injury has nothing to do with it in present anyway because he is over it and didn't even back himself for a year or two year contract either now he is over the injury concerns. It's weak, especially after all the rehab and medical bills on his behalf.

No doubt you'll have something else to say but I don't care. Good riddance and this is the last bit of effort Ill spend when it comes to talking about Freeman.

No doubt you'll have something else to say but I don't care. Good riddance and this is the last bit of effort Ill spend when it comes to talking about Freeman.

Can only be a keyboard warrior for long I guess.

Some of the attacks on Freeman on this board are terrible and shows that some of the posters on here really have no idea about life in general

I also think it is poor for Posters to come on here at Abuse Posters and Saying the have no Life:mad:

No two situations are ever exactly the same...but Scahrenburg has been injured longer and almost broke into the best 22 at years end...Freeman didn't even try.

Injury has nothing to do with it in present anyway because he is over it and didn't even back himself for a year or two year contract either now he is over the injury concerns. It's weak, especially after all the rehab and medical bills on his behalf.

He doesn't owe Collingwood anything for fulfilling their duties as an employer.

I assume where you are coming from is Freeman is weak because he didn't take the riskier choice of pursuing his football career at Collingwood. So far in this thread I haven't seen one good reason for Freeman to stay with Collingwood. So what does taking the risk achieve, apart from proving he is strong to some of the population?

He doesn't owe Collingwood anything for fulfilling their duties as an employer.

I assume where you are coming from is Freeman is weak because he didn't take the riskier choice of pursuing his football career at Collingwood. So far in this thread I haven't seen one good reason for Freeman to stay with Collingwood. So what does taking the risk achieve, apart from proving he is strong to some of the population?

You raise a good point (especially compared to the other poster).

I agree that it is a risk and he doesn't owe Collingwood anything but neither did Scahrenburg or Ramsay (who I think re-signed this year), fact is he took the easy road and that is the end of it really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What he said in the article seems to match what - I believe - PieBeast posted from his conversation with Freeman a few months ago.

When Freeman knew we were chasing Aish and Treloar, he found himself on the outer and feared not getting regular games. His quotes also hinted at frustration with our handling of his hamstring problem.

Maybe he acted like an impatient 20yo, maybe he had good reason to leave.

I'm spewing both our top 10 picks haven't proven to be what we hoped, it's not too often we get two top 10 picks in a draft, and I don't think many of us want to be in that position in the near future.

But we've recruited to stem our losses, let's just hope they perform to our expectations.

Hey folks, interesting reading. One thing I think that hasn't gotten enough of a mention in this thread is the injury management side of things as one of the reasons he chose to leave Collingwood and why he ultimately chose St Kilda.

Whether or not the rumours that he and his family weren't happy with the way his injury was treated previously are correct, they do talk in the article about how the "medical and fitness staff played a big role in the club he chose" and that "It was not so much that I was looking for a better approach, but a different approach to getting my hamstring right".

It was reported earlier in the year that one of the reasons the previously injury-riddled Shaun Higgins left WB for North last year was that North reputedly have one of the best injury management records of any team in the comp and he felt that going there would give him the best chance to get his body to where he wanted it to be, to allow him to play his best footy, and we all saw how much that paid off for him this year. From what I'm told, we have someone at our club who is considered a bit of a "guru" when it comes to treating hamstrings, and I think that would have played a big part in him choosing to leave Collingwood and to come to us.

If he felt that this guys team's approach was going to give him a better chance of getting his body and in particular hamstring into 100% condition, then I think he would have been nuts to knock back the opportunity to find out, and when you combine that with the promise of a longer, more lucrative contract (whether he plays or not), the likelihood of being able to get games sooner and play a key role in the future of a club- the one he grew up barracking for no less, the fact he would get to play with those he grew up looking up to (plus others like Billings, who he is mates with) and the fact that that club is soon going to be based about 10 minutes from where he grew up, I don't think it's a particularly unreasonable choice that he made.

In fact, if you take emotion out of it, I would think it could have been a bit of a no-brainer, from a personal career perspective. There are no guarantees of course, but there were none if he stayed, either, so I'd suggest he just did what he believed was in his overall best interests, to give himself the best chance of having the successful career that he clearly wants to have.

Hopefully this works out well for everyone concerned. Our two clubs, Nathan, and Aish, who this trade helped you extract from Brisbane. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
From what I'm told, we have someone at our club who is considered a bit of a "guru" when it comes to treating hamstrings, and I think that would have played a big part in him choosing to leave Collingwood and to come to us.

If he felt that this guys approach was going to give him a better chance of getting his body and in particular hamstring into 100% condition, then I think he would have been nuts to knock back the opportunity to find out.

Andrew Wallis (Saints head physio) is an outstanding all round physio but his special interest area is hips and groins. Sam Fisher's hamstring problems over the past 24 months sound very similar to Freeman's. Both involved the tendon and both couldn't get top speed and zip back. Wally took Fisher to Craig Purdam (AIS head physio) who is a hamstring "guru". I think Wally will have learnt a lot from that that he will apply to rehabbing Freeman. Basically Purdam wanted Fisher to focus on his strength at greater muscle length for both his glutes and hamstrings. I am a physio who has actually been treated by both Wallis and David Francis. They are both jets. However, I think a new program is exactly what Freeman needs. I would be very, very surprised if Freeman didn't achieve success with Wallis and co at St Kilda.

Andrew Wallis (Saints head physio) is an outstanding all round physio but his special interest area is hips and groins. Sam Fisher's hamstring problems over the past 24 months sound very similar to Freeman's. Both involved the tendon and both couldn't get top speed and zip back. Wally took Fisher to Craig Purdam (AIS head physio) who is a hamstring "guru". I think Wally will have learnt a lot from that that he will apply to rehabbing Freeman. Basically Purdam wanted Fisher to focus on his strength at greater muscle length for both his glutes and hamstrings. I am a physio who has actually been treated by both Wallis and David Francis. They are both jets. However, I think a new program is exactly what Freeman needs. I would be very, very surprised if Freeman didn't achieve success with Wallis and co at St Kilda.
Yeah what I was told is that Freeman is going to be doing a very similar type rehab to the one Fisher did for his hammy and that he's already doing things like running in waist deep seawater, while dragging a tyre behind him, to really build up his lower and/or middle body strength.

I also think it is poor for Posters to come on here at Abuse Posters and Saying the have no Life:mad:

I didn't say have no life. I said have no idea about life. It just frustrates me seeing some terrible comments about 20 year old kid who made the best decisions for himself.

Greenwood left north for more opportunities and money, what is the difference between what him and freeman did?

Crisp + Adams are a lot better than Freeman and offer a lot more, Greenwood right now would also. Aish is debatable.

Are they though? They have currently played better but who knows what Freemans ceiling is.

We can't complain about Freeman in one breath then extol like Aish and Treloar in the next. The whole thing worked out well for everyone. Freeman decision is understandable and not indicative of a pea heart. Love that accusation coming off the internet. Sure would have loved to have him and see what he could be. But then we might not have ended with Aish and there is no argument which of those 2 you would choose.
Of course we can.

Treloar and Aish chose to join our club. Freeman chose to leave our club. Simple. I don't care for the feelings of Brisbane or GWS as they are soulless AFL creations anyway. Our clubs welfare is what interests me and is what I'm passionate about and stuff everyone else. If your with us you're one of us. If you're not you aren't.

I don't like this "it's a business nowadays", cold eyed thought process and meek shrugging of the shoulders at players leaving us that seems to be creeping into certain supporters mindsets these days. Why should we be rational about these things? Why can't we be passionate about our club? Why do we have to accept players leaving? Because that's what the media tells us to? Stuff that.

If we can get one over an opponent by getting one of their guns then great. If they poach one of ours then they and the player in question are pricks. I emotionally and (in my small way via membership) financially support this club and I'm stuffed if I'll feel bad for us doing to them what they're only too happy to do to us.

I don't wish Freeman any ill will re injuries and a shortened career but I wish him absolutely zero team success as our teams success is the only thing I care about. I hope he earns plenty of money and regrets leaving Collingwood for the rest of his life. Maybe he will.

Back