Certified Legendary Thread Q: Why did Freeman Leave St Kilda? (A: He was delisted)

Should the thread be closed

• Yes

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That year we actually got pick 6 (used on Scharenberg) from West Coast, and gave them 11 (Sheed). Some other lesser picks were thrown in as well. At West Coast they're probably still smiling over that one, and who could blame them! The Eagles were seemingly very confident of still getting their man with pick 11, and were prepared to do that deal to get a couple of mid-range picks (31 & 49) in exchange for the one (44) they gave us. Funny how these things work out!
So to make it all work beautifully we need to win the flag (this year) with Scharenberg making the side and winning the Norm Smith Medal.

(I’ll retrieve this post when it happens :D)

The great shame for us (and I suppose St Kilda) and really for Freeman is, with all his injury issues we’ll Never know what his real abilities could have been. (Ofcourse his attitude might have played a role.)

It’s the great unknown.

Interesting question, if you could only have 1 of Bont, Cripps, or Brown, who would it be?

It’d have to be Cripps ...

... ‘cause I’d wanna hear the commentators continually stuff up “Crisp kicks it to Cripps” (Try to say that aloud, it can’t be done. The commentators struggle now even when they are on different teams!)

Yeah I do, that's a little personal.

I meant his phantom draft (which was incredibly accurate), not his ranking, but anyway I get your point I'm just not convinced yet.
My apologies. Didn’t mean to get personal.
I have to ask, since suddenly Sheed has entered the conversation, is he that good?
Apart from that one kick, is he a superstar? I don’t follow the Eagles enough to make the judgement.

I have to ask, since suddenly Sheed has entered the conversation, is he that good?
Apart from that one kick, is he a superstar? I don’t follow the Eagles enough to make the judgement.

Superstar I don't believe so, in their best 22 yes.

I accept your apology, though I have shifted slightly towards what your saying and realise it's not that easy to choose the best player (top 10 or so ) as it might seem. I just wonder the bad luck we had in 2013 could it have been mitigated?

Averages 27 disposals, 5.5 clearances and a goal per game this year. Those are numbers that Freeman was unlikely to ever replicate, even without getting injured.

Superstar I don't believe so, in their best 22 yes.

I accept your apology, though I have shifted slightly towards what your saying and realise it's not that easy to choose the best player (top 10 or so ) as it might seem. I just wonder the bad luck we had in 2013 could it have been mitigated?
Thank you for accepting my apology.
I don’t think that the 2013 recruiting could have been mitigated.
You just don’t know what the future holds.
As a counterpoint to taking two supposed healthy, fit players, we took recently a player with a known heart condition!
So far, that one’s working a treat.

That year we actually got pick 6 (used on Scharenberg) from West Coast, and gave them 11 (Sheed). Some other lesser picks were thrown in as well. At West Coast they're probably still smiling over that one, and who could blame them! The Eagles were seemingly very confident of still getting their man with pick 11, and were prepared to do that deal to get a couple of mid-range picks (31 & 49) in exchange for the one (44) they gave us. Funny how these things work out!
Rage.png

We did the deal to get us closer to Bont. Had we not done the deal I suspect that both Bont and Sharenberg would have been gone and we would have had 10 and 11 to pick someone. Sheed was going at 6 nonetheless if WC still had that pick.

We did the deal to get us closer to Bont. Had we not done the deal I suspect that both Bont and Sharenberg would have been gone and we would have had 10 and 11 to pick someone. Sheed was going at 6 nonetheless if WC still had that pick.
Yes, it seems very likely we made that move thinking it would get us Bontempelli, while West Coast wanted the local lad all along. They must have had a very good idea of who clubs picking from 6-10 would take, for them to do that deal. I was ecstatic when we ended up with two top 10 picks, but unfortunately the deal has worked out much better for West Coast than for us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former top-10 draft pick Nathan Freeman is within touching distance of a rookie spot with a third AFL club as the Suns battle to split his summer form with Magarey Medallist James Tsitas.
The Suns are close to a decision on which of explosive midfielder Freeman or ball magnet Tsitas to select with a summer rookie spot given their desire to finalise their list in the next fortnight.

The decision will go down to the wire given there is only one list spot but both have shown they could easily make an impact with the Suns this season.

Gold Coast is determined to add another experienced player to its list given the scourge of omicron, which at any time could wipe out a chunk of a club’s first-choice midfield.

More than half of the Suns players are believed to have already had the omicron strain of Covid, which should give them some immunity for at least the next few months, but the Suns believe both players could play an instant role if called upon.

Both are 26 years of age, with Freeman playing two AFL games after his career was jeopardised by a series of hamstring strains at Collingwood and St Kilda.

Freeman and Woodville-West Torrens star Tsitas again performed strongly in Suns match practice on Saturday.

Freeman averaged 37 disposals for Frankston last year and while some recruiters wanted him to be more damaging he kicked at 59 per cent efficiency and has built a more robust body.

Tsitas averaged 28.6 disposals as the joint Magarey Medallist alongside Bryce Gibbs, averaging 4.7 clearances, 5.6 tackles and 122 ranking points.
05f180fca9458449f3977c82990accbb

its interesting that as a mature player now, we can get an idea of how he would have played. Given that inside midfielders have low disposal efficiency, his is at 59%..... which was noted in the article...

Maybe another choice who couldnt hit targets. It's not unusual from the pies recruiting dept...

its interesting that as a mature player now, we can get an idea of how he would have played. Given that inside midfielders have low disposal efficiency, his is at 59%..... which was noted in the article...

Maybe another choice who couldnt hit targets. It's not unusual from the pies recruiting dept...

His kicking was at 59% according to that article. I'd assume when handballs are included his disposal efficiency would be higher than that. Not sure where 59% kicking efficiency would sit for a mid - I'm not sure it would be particularly low. It's the defenders who have the high efficiency ratings - Chris Mayne was the highest in the league, so it's an odd stat

Back