QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

cracka jack 4

Rookie
Mar 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Does anyone know how Carrara are traveling this year? Interesting result against Moorooka on the weekend?

I know a few of their players and they're keeping a lid on things at the swamp, when you finish last the year prior there is only one way to go. I did hear they were missing up to 10 senior players Saturday and were in control all game vs the chooks, they rested some new recruits in the last qtr when the chooks scored most of their goals. Might be the big improverrr!

Blocker Roach

All Australian
Mar 14, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know a few of their players and they're keeping a lid on things at the swamp, when you finish last the year prior there is only one way to go. I did hear they were missing up to 10 senior players Saturday and were in control all game vs the chooks, they rested some new recruits in the last qtr when the chooks scored most of their goals. Might be the big improverrr!

New threads(pages) set up now boys for each div

king lonhro

Rookie
Aug 23, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting comments Benny,

When I was appointed to coach the Suns the directive from the President and committee was to put together a playing list that can move up into a higher division within two years, hopefully win a premiership in that time frame. The playing group were clear on the intended direction from day one. This was no secret with all recruits aware of the clubs on field plans to become the premier club within the area.

In regards to under the table payments, yes there were 4 players who received payment in 2015 from myself, all of which the President (Benny Head) was fully aware, I also arranged two other sponsorships that enabled the Suns to be financial at the completion on 2015.

In season 2015 the Suns received $26K in membership payments and sponsorships were 5 times higher than the previous year yet the Suns only had loose change in the piggy bank all without paying players and coaches.

For season 2016 the committee in December under Benny Heads leadership approved a coaching and player budget of $10k which was honoured by the club though out the season. My financial contribution was to pay my son’s and one other players memberships, and the purchase of playing jumpers directly from the supplier due to the club’s credit issues.

This season the Suns achieved something the Beenleigh Cobras, Logan Cobras were not able to achieve during the 31years previously whilst playing in the lowest divisions. Any ideas on why it took so long?

Unfortunately for the Suns whilst they achieved their on-field goals, off the field running of the club was very poor for the most part with massive disharmony amongst the committee and thus the Suns were held back in division 3 which has resulted in the current situation. Nothing to do with current finances as from all reports all accounts have been settled, not the AFLQ’s fault as they had no choice at the time. I had grave fears that the club would fold midseason such was the off-field mess. The committee did a terrific job righting the ship during the last 3 months.

If the Suns had been placed in division 2 I believe they would have kept and added to their playing list and been very competitive in that division, although with NO juniors (only up to U12’s not up to U19’s as I was told when accepting the position) and a weak financial situation the Suns were always going to be walking the tight rope. You can’t progress when lacking both.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day most the players were not prepared to continue to play at the Suns in a watered down weaker comp than the comp we had just aced. It’s that simple.

In regards to myself, the Suns were advised prior to the season that I would not be continuing as coach in 2017. All players and officials were made aware of my plans; it was no secret around the league.

Together with the playing group we reached our goals set by the committee back in 2014, we put together a list strong enough to progress up, won a flag, lost a senior grand final, lost a reserve grade grand final. I strongly feel we punched well above our weight considering the off-field issues that we were forced to contend with. I make no apologies for the on-field success, after all that’s what we should all be aiming for isn’t it? I make no apologies for providing and seeking other sponsorships for the club, how wrong is that? I also make no apologies other than to my wife for slipping a few players some coin in the first year of the Suns to attract some quality people, coaches and players, all at no cost to the club and for the benefit of the club. Without them we would have struggled.

It’s a sad situation the Suns are currently in, when your promised the World and are given an Atlas these things are bound to happen.
well said Sir , facts are facts you cant argue with facts. Jealousy is rife in this part of town. Move on and move up.

Last edited:

king lonhro

Rookie
Aug 23, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting comments Benny,

When I was appointed to coach the Suns the directive from the President and committee was to put together a playing list that can move up into a higher division within two years, hopefully win a premiership in that time frame. The playing group were clear on the intended direction from day one. This was no secret with all recruits aware of the clubs on field plans to become the premier club within the area.

In regards to under the table payments, yes there were 4 players who received payment in 2015 from myself, all of which the President (Benny Head) was fully aware, I also arranged two other sponsorships that enabled the Suns to be financial at the completion on 2015.

In season 2015 the Suns received $26K in membership payments and sponsorships were 5 times higher than the previous year yet the Suns only had loose change in the piggy bank all without paying players and coaches.

For season 2016 the committee in December under Benny Heads leadership approved a coaching and player budget of $10k which was honoured by the club though out the season. My financial contribution was to pay my son’s and one other players memberships, and the purchase of playing jumpers directly from the supplier due to the club’s credit issues.

This season the Suns achieved something the Beenleigh Cobras, Logan Cobras were not able to achieve during the 31years previously whilst playing in the lowest divisions. Any ideas on why it took so long?

Unfortunately for the Suns whilst they achieved their on-field goals, off the field running of the club was very poor for the most part with massive disharmony amongst the committee and thus the Suns were held back in division 3 which has resulted in the current situation. Nothing to do with current finances as from all reports all accounts have been settled, not the AFLQ’s fault as they had no choice at the time. I had grave fears that the club would fold midseason such was the off-field mess. The committee did a terrific job righting the ship during the last 3 months.

If the Suns had been placed in division 2 I believe they would have kept and added to their playing list and been very competitive in that division, although with NO juniors (only up to U12’s not up to U19’s as I was told when accepting the position) and a weak financial situation the Suns were always going to be walking the tight rope. You can’t progress when lacking both.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day most the players were not prepared to continue to play at the Suns in a watered down weaker comp than the comp we had just aced. It’s that simple.

In regards to myself, the Suns were advised prior to the season that I would not be continuing as coach in 2017. All players and officials were made aware of my plans; it was no secret around the league.

Together with the playing group we reached our goals set by the committee back in 2014, we put together a list strong enough to progress up, won a flag, lost a senior grand final, lost a reserve grade grand final. I strongly feel we punched well above our weight considering the off-field issues that we were forced to contend with. I make no apologies for the on-field success, after all that’s what we should all be aiming for isn’t it? I make no apologies for providing and seeking other sponsorships for the club, how wrong is that? I also make no apologies other than to my wife for slipping a few players some coin in the first year of the Suns to attract some quality people, coaches and players, all at no cost to the club and for the benefit of the club. Without them we would have struggled.

It’s a sad situation the Suns are currently in, when your promised the World and are given an Atlas these things are bound to happen.
Well said Sir you can't argue with fact, honest facts. I say move on and move up. Jealousy everywhere but who cares. Fix your own mistakes

Oct 19, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat
17757608_1810445075648108_6204883432377067212_n.jpg

Suns field at Tansey Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back