QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as all the Ferg haters, maybe you can lay off kicking a guy when he is not around to defend himself. Kicked a few goals for us at important times and was one of the best coaches I have ever had the pleasure of playing for. The guy pretty much gave everything for the club, even playing when injured when we needed him. So give the guy some respect okay.

Looking forward to the start of the season and catching up with you all as we go along.

I think you misunderstood.

no matter how good a player he was, or how good a coach he was. Or how good a clubman or bloke he is, is irrelevant to what I was saying.

My point was that he is an older forward pocket and doesn't get up the ground. Plenty of them around, nothing wrong with that.

However, its extremely hard to coach a team from that vantage point. You can't genuinely know whats going on up the ground, and match day moves would be very minimal as a result. I rarely saw him take himself to the bench to get a better look at things, which would have made it even more difficult.

For all I know, he runs the best drills in history on a tuesday night - but coaching from there would be a tough proposition for Norm Smith, let alone 'ferg'.

no matter how good a player he was, or how good a coach he was. Or how good a clubman or bloke he is, is irrelevant to what I was saying.

My point was that he is an older forward pocket and doesn't get up the ground. Plenty of them around, nothing wrong with that.

However, its extremely hard to coach a team from that vantage point. You can't genuinely know whats going on up the ground, and match day moves would be very minimal as a result. I rarely saw him take himself to the bench to get a better look at things, which would have made it even more difficult.

For all I know, he runs the best drills in history on a tuesday night - but coaching from there would be a tough proposition for Norm Smith, let alone 'ferg'.
Agree with this, I tried coaching from a forward pocket myself and did a s**t job and whilst I saw plenty up the field, the reality is I was always watching and setting up for the next play.

Not a problem QAFL and I agree that it would be difficult to coach that way. I would certainly not want to. But maybe in your original post you take the "lazy" word out and then I would probably not feel I have to defend a good mate. I would then probably agree with you as it would be a statement about coaching and not a personal comment about the man.
But all good!!

i found coaching from full back was easier than coaching from the ruck, and surely a forward pocket has less to worry about than a defender
how hard could it be, the closer you are to goal the more of the game you can see in front of you

i found coaching from full back was easier than coaching from the ruck, and surely a forward pocket has less to worry about than a defender
how hard could it be, the closer you are to goal the more of the game you can see in front of you
Yeah but you're a god amongst men Len, us mere mortals need to concentrate.

Playing coaches in my opinion are glorified captains who make a few changes at the breaks.

Playing coaches who play on the flanks or through the middle, but also take regular spells on the pine make a bit of sense to me.

Playing coaches playing permanently deep at either end have never made any sense to me at all.

Macman,

the word lazy to describe 30+ year old forward pockets is like a default word, I can't not use it. Sorry, its like asking me to have apple juice without any apples.

Yeah but you're a god amongst men Len, us mere mortals need to concentrate.

Playing coaches in my opinion are glorified captains who make a few changes at the breaks.
lol, please
absolutely non playing is shitloads easier than playing in any role, just a spot on the ground where teh whole game is open in front of you enormously easier to coach with than where you're in the thick of the action

Since you put it that way, I agree.

Since you seem to know all, when do all the transfers start and where does one find out who goes where?
Not a problem QAFL and I agree that it would be difficult to coach that way. I would certainly not want to. But maybe in your original post you take the "lazy" word out and then I would probably not feel I have to defend a good mate. I would then probably agree with you as it would be a statement about coaching and not a personal comment about the man.
But all good!!
you going around again mate?

Since you put it that way, I agree.

Since you seem to know all, when do all the transfers start and where does one find out who goes where?
you going around again mate?

Hey Swampy, Hope you are going well mate. Well I officially retired from the serious stuff at the end of last year. The plan was to just relax and maybe play a few ressies games this year. Have actually been enjoying training so far but still doubt I will be playing any seniors games.
What about you? Playing for anyone or officially retired?

Hey Swampy, Hope you are going well mate. Well I officially retired from the serious stuff at the end of last year. The plan was to just relax and maybe play a few ressies games this year. Have actually been enjoying training so far but still doubt I will be playing any seniors games.
What about you? Playing for anyone or officially retired?
Must be in a good spot for you to get pushed out of the squad I'm good, I'm playing masters down in Geelong now (finally qualify) getting to old to chase around kids anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of juniors signed up for redcliffe. Are the tigers going down the youth path? If so I hope they don't stack their ressies like last year!
Surely your fishing Randall??
There were about 10 blokes around or over 40 in that 2's side.
Also I think the juniors are getting clearances from the Junior comp to the new Tigers Under 19's which falls under the Senior comp banner.

Plenty of juniors signed up for redcliffe. Are the tigers going down the youth path? If so I hope they don't stack their ressies like last year!
Tigers would be crazy not to go down the youth path, they had a heap of aging retirees after winning the two's flag. Not sure if they stacked Their team, most blokes over 35 are no longer playing senior football and Redcliffe's ressies were the oldest in comp and were in top 2 or 3 all year. More a case of dads army having a final year together, if they had of played seniors they would have got smashed, so can't see how it was stacking, sorry Randall

Tigers would be crazy not to go down the youth path, they had a heap of aging retirees after winning the two's flag. Not sure if they stacked Their team, most blokes over 35 are no longer playing senior football and Redcliffe's ressies were the oldest in comp and were in top 2 or 3 all year. More a case of dads army having a final year together, if they had of played seniors they would have got smashed, so can't see how it was stacking, sorry Randall
This year I believe they are fielding an under 19's side and 2 master's sides - Over 35's and Over 45's. Add Seniors and Reserves and that could stretch the numbers fairly thin. It'll be interesting to see if all 5 teams have sufficient numbers. Personally, unless it's top standard state footy, I have never understood Under 19's. I'd like to see more 18 year olds pushing for senior selection.

U/19's in a talent drained area like Brisbane is ridiculous.

they shouldm play Div 2 senior footy, QAFL colts or QAFL ressies

Morro are you eluding to a step into the green brigade ranks?? That Id like to see!! As I've always said, I get along fine with those who know the rules and can make reasonable interpretations... As a student of the rules and game, I can get into debate mode at times when those who know less than me put an argument forward...

Thanks Blocker, I surprised myself, almost youthful exuberance there! Maybe it was just first night back excitement!! ;)

Let's get this party started
Who's going we're and who's picked up who ?

Will the saints take the next step ?

Can the buffs get off the bottom ?

Will the suns go through undefeated ?

Will the pirates big recruiting drive
Pay off ?

Can the Roosters continue to dominate as they have for the past 2 seasons ?

Tell us your thoughts and don't hold back

Pay off ?

Billy can't speak for the other clubs mate but the Pirates are hoping all the hard work we have done around the whole club not just recruiting, pays off.

Like every club at this time of year the anticipation of how the year will unfold is nerve racking. We know with our track record with injuries we cannot get to far ahead of ourselves, but we feel we have out a lot of things in that we feel given a fair run we should be thereabouts when the whips are cracking.

I personally think it will be a cracking comp this year with some good signings by a lot of clubs taking it up another notch.

I would be still very wary of some clubs that have remained tight lipped about their recruitment. I remember nothing much was said about both Bond and Carrara early last year and both had very successful years along with the Suns.

Good luck to all clubs for 2016. Our boys are off to straddie for a weekend training and bonding camp this weekend so hopefully the weather holds up ok, otherwise I will be heading for the pub .

Pay off ?

The last 3 words of your post enticed me William Ocean.
No Carrara can't take the next step and will go backwoods, junior club battling to become a senior club, still shattered after loosing twos GF.
The Buffs will get off the bottom but not because they have improved in fact they will be worse but there will be one or two teams that are totally s*^t, hard to believe but trust me on this.
No the Suns will not go through underfeated, Park Ridge will smack the beejesus out of them. Plus they will drop ( or throw)another 4 games in order to collect from the bookies to pay their massive payroll. good blokes don't play for free in Logan lol.
Yes Pirates recruiting drive will pay huge dividends, see previous.
Rooster will make finals but will not scare top 3, Pirates will smash em
You forgot about the maddest man in the whole dam town, Doggy Browns boys, they will be thereabouts , Vic Point will have skill and legs. Pirates will smash em. In fact the Pirates could steel the treasure in 2016

Last edited:
No Carrara can't take the next step and will go backwoods, junior club battling to become a senior club, still shattered after loosing twos GF.
The Buffs will get off the bottom but not because they have improved in fact they will be worse but there will be one or two teams that are totally s*^t, hard to believe but trust me on this.
No the Suns will not go through underfeated, Park Ridge will smack the beejesus out of them. Plus they will drop ( or throw)another 4 games in order to collect from the bookies to play their massive payroll. good blokes don't play for free in Logan lol.
You forgot about the maddest man in the whole dam town, Doggy Browns boys, they will be thereabouts , Vic Point will have skill and legs. Pirates will smash em. In fact the Pirates could steel the treasure in 2016

Lol smart I see what you did there,

But we have a group of about 14 players that haven't played a game of football together so i would dare say getting a game style that suits us will take some time .

Suns will not be shaken, I've said it before and ill say it again, to well coached and match winners on every line.

Agree beenleigh will not be the worst team in the competition.

Vic point could really suprise.

Kedron could be flying right under the radar.

No the Suns will not go through underfeated, Park Ridge will smack the beejesus out of them. Plus they will drop ( or throw)another 4 games in order to collect from the bookies to pay their massive payroll. good blokes don't play for free in Logan lol.

Ease up Karma. Asking a bit of a side 2 years ago was getting flogged by 100 points every week and then last 2 years have improved but still haven't made finals.

Sure we have added to our list but we are still a very young outfit that has done nothing yet.

On the other hand the Suns have been to the big dance last season and now know what it takes to lift the silverware.

I honestly think there are 4 or 5 live chances this year and yes I would like to think we are amongst them, but gee we have a lot yet to prove.

But I did admire your outlook on the comp.

Ease up Karma. Asking a bit of a side 2 years ago was getting flogged by 100 points every week and then last 2 years have improved but still haven't made finals.

Sure we have added to our list but we are still a very young outfit that has done nothing yet.

On the other hand the Suns have been to the big dance last season and now know what it takes to lift the silverware.

I honestly think there are 4 or 5 live chances this year and yes I would like to think we are amongst them, but gee we have a lot yet to prove.

Big Blocker, The Karmaking and Junior should all get a room together, Its almost like the old days of the Boys from Buff Land blowing their own trumpet every week.

Been a fair bit of hype out your way blocker, which there is nothing wrong with, you guys just need to put it on the park now. Pretty sure that's what karma was eluding to.
But you can't have it both ways-- what happened 2 years ago is irrelevant now. Anyhow, good luck for the season, I hope you guys can convert pre-season excitement into a finals campaign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back