QAFA (A) 2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit I was a bit cynical initially - now i think it will just go ballistic. It is such a good sport for those girls looking to be part of some rough & tumble, with skill, with speed. No different to why it is a great sport for blokes - caters for all shapes. I've watched a little bit of it this year and have to say, super impressed with the ability of many of the women.
Think we will find that if you dont have a womens team then it will be a disadvantage..

What I meant by previous comment was that I think there is no way the comps will be left alone and allowed to run the same as this year.

Must admit I was a bit cynical initially - now i think it will just go ballistic. It is such a good sport for those girls looking to be part of some rough & tumble, with skill, with speed. No different to why it is a great sport for blokes - caters for all shapes. I've watched a little bit of it this year and have to say, super impressed with the ability of many of the women.
Think we will find that if you dont have a womens team then it will be a disadvantage..

What I meant by previous comment was that I think there is no way the comps will be left alone and allowed to run the same as this year.
I don't have an issue with women's footy. The more playing our game the better.
My point is the afl think it's going to rival men's footy now in terms of numbers I highly doubt that will happen.
I absolutely agree that if your club doesn't promote women's than you will be behind the eight ball. Was told that funding is beaing given to clubs that go down that line.
Better get Carro onto it has be a story of sexism there for her to comment on.

Last edited:

I don't have an issue with women's footy. The more playing our game the better.
My point is the afl think it's going to rival men's footy now in terms of numbers I highly doubt that will happen.
I absolutely agree that if your club doesn't promote women's than you will be behind the eight ball. Was told that funding is beaing given to clubs that go down that line.
Better get Carro onto it has be a story of sexism there for her to comment on.

Our club has had girls footy since we started until this year and whilst I am all for the women's footy not sure the talent pool runs that deep up here at present.

We have some exceptional girls like Harris, Bates, etc around the 20-22 year old mark that were more than competative as state side at U18's carnival.

But behind that there is the odd girl that is their level but not many.

I just think the sustainability of a national competition is questionable? Once the novelty wears off in the next 2 years it will be interesting to see how much coverage it will get and how much sponsors will support.

Would be good for AFL to support community clubs with finances as much as they put into women's footy and talent programs. After all it is our clubs where the next Buddy Franklin could be coming from.

The year before the last re-structure, a lot of people on here and at clubland voiced their concerns over the travel factor and the associated difficulties of getting full numbers to the away games that required an hour or more of travel. This was part of the reason why the nth/Sth divisions were introduced. Hope the same people who voiced these concerns back then won't be saying the same after the next re-structure.

Yes, but they introduced the North/South split at the wrong level of footy.

You can't have Div 2 split regionally, then Div3 not. Makes absolutely no sense.

I honestly reckon they couldn't work or what to do about the Noosa - Cooly trip and just gave up. When in reality the obvious choice would have been to push Cooly down to Div 3. They've been getting smashed pre and post restructure, so going from Div1 to 3 souls have been fine

Our club has had girls footy since we started until this year and whilst I am all for the women's footy not sure the talent pool runs that deep up here at present.

We have some exceptional girls like Harris, Bates, etc around the 20-22 year old mark that were more than competative as state side at U18's carnival.

But behind that there is the odd girl that is their level but not many.

I just think the sustainability of a national competition is questionable? Once the novelty wears off in the next 2 years it will be interesting to see how much coverage it will get and how much sponsors will support.

Would be good for AFL to support community clubs with finances as much as they put into women's footy and talent programs. After all it is our clubs where the next Buddy Franklin could be coming from.
I think your right about the quality and growth of girls footy.
The numbers don't support the expectation of growth.
Untill they get girls playing at under 8s and above in a stand alone competition you won't have any depth to support the expectations.
That is probably at least 10 years away so in the meantime it could all just fall away.
The drop out rate from youth to seniors is quite large in men's footy. No one knows how it will be for girls to women's.
That makes it very hard to plan any future with certainty.
I think if money was spent on local clubs with a solid junior base it would be more beneficial in the long run.
Getting clubs to try and get all girl's teams at junior level is what's needed.
If you build from the top down the foundation's are sure to fail.
Feels like a very rushed proposal and if it doesn't work it will be very difficult to resurrect it a second time.

When the last re-structure was introduced, a few of us said it wouldn't work but we were told to give it time, water finds it own level and all that crap, and here we are, on the verge of another re-structure. Surely the lesson here is that time doesn't fix things and they just got it wrong last time. This time, they must get it right. Consult with the clubs first, get some sort of consensus and implement a system that will work for longer than 3 years. That's why I and others have been pushing the promotion/ relegation theme-- it works everywhere else and it will work up there.

Couldn't there just be a Gold Coast comp with
Robina
Cooley
Carrara
Bond uni
Burleigh
Coomera
Beenleigh
And maybe Southport enters a team or Pimpama whom are getting a big grant for Ovals to make it 8 teams.
Be careful with logic like that you might end up working with aflq.

Seniors:
Carrara vs G.Moorooka - Roosters by 4
Ipswich vs SES - Suns by 60
Kedron vs Wynnum - Lions by 80
Pine Rivers vs Park Ridge - Pirates by 44
Redcliffe vs Vic. Point - Tigers by 17

Reserves:
Saints by 23
Suns by 49
Lions by 38
Pirates by 6
Tigers by 40

Seniors:
Carrara vs G.Moorooka - Roosters by 4
Ipswich vs SES - Suns by 60
Kedron vs Wynnum - Lions by 80
Pine Rivers vs Park Ridge - Pirates by 44
Redcliffe vs Vic. Point - Tigers by 17

Reserves:
Saints by 23
Suns by 49
Lions by 38
Pirates by 6
Tigers by 40

Roosters by 23
Suns by 100
Lions by 65
Pirates by 85
Vic Point by 43

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow.

What a game at sixth ave.

Vikings dominated in the conditions for 3 quarters. Looked like the game was done for all money halfway through the 3rd with Vikings up by about 5 goals. Deserve some recognition for a gutsy performance. Huge last quarter from the Kedron boys.

Final score Kedron 11.11.77 defeated Wynnum 10.14.74

Wow.

Vikings dominated in the conditions for 3 quarters. Looked like the game was done for all money halfway through the 3rd with Vikings up by about 5 goals. Deserve some recognition for a gutsy performance. Huge last quarter from the Kedron boys.

Good day for duck's, what was the ressies results ?

Pine rivers played a tough wet weather game credit to them. Absolute improvement from 2015 good work .

Wow.

Would have been a huge result for Vikings if they pulled off that win at Kedron.

Poor old Macman will be pulling out his hair. That has been a few close ones that Wynnum have been on wrong side of ledger. Will hurt them now at business end.

Looks like all games were reasonably tight. Pine Rivers took it up to Pirates all day. In the end glad to get the points in those conditions.

Would have been a huge result for Vikings if they pulled off that win at Kedron.
Poor old Macman will be pulling out his hair. That has been a few close ones that Wynnum have been on wrong side of ledger. Will hurt them now at business end.

Haha no Blocker, very proud of the boys today. They gave everything they had. Probably best game of the year, we just tried a bit to hard in the last quarter and maybe paniced a little. Only disappointment for me is that we did not play like that over the last month or we would be sitting in a very different position. But it is what it is. Still disappointed but very proud today!

seen an umpire give away a free kick against a pirates supporter today, if the game was closer at that point I reckon the big fella behind the whiteboard would have lost his s**t!
What a disgusting rule, needs reviewing, cant happen we dont want to see decisions like that.

Also, is there a bigger flog pea hearted crowd than the peanut gallery up at Rob Akers reserve? About 4 teeth between them collectively.

y
seen an umpire give away a free kick against a pirates supporter today, if the game was closer at that point I reckon the big fella behind the whiteboard would have lost his s**t!
What a disgusting rule, needs reviewing, cant happen we dont want to see decisions like that.

Also, is there a bigger flog pea hearted crowd than the peanut gallery up at Rob Akers reserve? About 4 teeth between them collectively.
you have been quiet flog . were you the one who gave away the free kick???

y

you have been quiet flog . were you the one who gave away the free kick???

No it wasn't me? Although I did let Moro know about his descision making throughout the day.

Very in consistent with same rulings but was tough conditions .

Was that the kick they got at club house end after kicking a goal from an original free kick. They then got another shot for another goal. I thought that free kick was normally if a goal has been scored and all clear given and someone does something that would have to be very crude to give another shot.

Surely someone in crowd abusing doesn't warrant another shot at goal from goal square ? If it was I think umpires getting a bit precious? How would they go at MCG with 80,000 pies supporters abusing them?

No it wasn't me? Although I did let Moro know about his descision making throughout the day.

Very in consistent with same rulings but was tough conditions .

Was that the kick they got at club house end after kicking a goal from an original free kick. They then got another shot for another goal. I thought that free kick was normally if a goal has been scored and all clear given and someone does something that would have to be very crude to give another shot.

Surely someone in crowd abusing doesn't warrant another shot at goal from goal square ? If it was I think umpires getting a bit precious? How would they go at MCG with 80,000 pies supporters abusing them?
is old mate jack your angry alter ego blocker ? you got the chocolates so it probaly doesn't matter aye .

The bloke was a flog , I would have him banned from games , good on the boys in green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back