QAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've heard a whisper, from a very reliable source, that Brent Moloney is suiting up for the Gorillas this year.

Not sure how Moloney has gone injury-wise up at Noosa but he looked extremely fit when I saw him in the street in December.

swamp13

Senior List
Aug 27, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, San Antonio, taker
Actually that makes more sense now why Victoria clubs looking at qld players. Some damn good footballers up here who would attract minimal points in vic.
Yes. but you look at a guy like Rozynski. He was draftable 12-13 years ago. Yet when he no doubt could have had a long QAFL/NEAFL career, he played for the Magpies in Piney Hotel Cup and stuck with them in their return to QAFL in 09/10 when they didn't win a game.

As a result, he's probably played a maximum of 30 odd QAFL games and the rest in 'community footy'. So despite his ability, would probably be worth bugger all points.

Here's the confusing as hell run down of the points system down here. They would both be 3/4 pointers

Attachments

• IMG_8403.jpg
    IMG_8403.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8404.jpg
    IMG_8404.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 57

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I've heard a whisper, from a very reliable source, that Brent Moloney is suiting up for the Gorillas this year.

Not sure how Moloney has gone injury-wise up at Noosa but he looked extremely fit when I saw him in the street in December.

Gorillas will be full of selfish look at me roosters in the middle then. Good luck to them!

Moloney hardly lit it up in QFA North, give me a Caleb Brown type any day. Less pedigree, but a much better team man who gets his side over the line.

Ruffles00

Debutant
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the money attached to Hannaford, possibly bringing in Moloney on good coin and the likes of Brittain in the team you'd wonder what the other senior players, reportedly on next to no pay to cover them, think about their shiny teammates.

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gorillas will be full of selfish look at me roosters in the middle then. Good luck to them!

Moloney hardly lit it up in QFA North, give me a Caleb Brown type any day. Less pedigree, but a much better team man who gets his side over the line.

If you're including Hannaford in that group of "roosters" this was your take on him back in November:

"Bloke is a pretty good player, will do well at a decent club"

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
No, I'm interested to see how he will go. Looks a beast, but his conduct was less than impressive when he shopped himself around clubs. I know my club isn't the only one that thinks so.

No issue with how he plays the game at all.

Moloney on the other hand, he should be a gun recruit - but didn't do much in the QFA North, so another year older and a step up in level means he probably isn't a recruit to hand the hat on.

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No, I'm interested to see how he will go. Looks a beast, but his conduct was less than impressive when he shopped himself around clubs. I know my club isn't the only one that thinks so.

No issue with how he plays the game at all.

Moloney on the other hand, he should be a gun recruit - but didn't do much in the QFA North, so another year older and a step up in level means he probably isn't a recruit to hand the hat on.

No worries mate, only time will tell with both Hannaford and Moloney.

Regardless, the Gorillas definitely needed to strengthen their midfield as they struggled massively last year without Eric Kuret and with Brittain being perennially injured.

I'm obviously biased but I think a fit and firing Moloney would make for good viewing at QAFL level, and ultimately we all just want to watch good footy on a Saturday afternoon.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi everyone

If you are planning on going to the cats Sunday I recommend getting to the game early. It will take time to park, get through the front gate and get a decent spot to view.

Arrive by 2:30 would be a good idea.

Cheers

tigerhawk

Debutant
Apr 5, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No worries mate, only time will tell with both Hannaford and Moloney.

Regardless, the Gorillas definitely needed to strengthen their midfield as they struggled massively last year without Eric Kuret and with Brittain being perennially injured.

I'm obviously biased but I think a fit and firing Moloney would make for good viewing at QAFL level, and ultimately we all just want to watch good footy on a Saturday afternoon.
Maloney is finished as a midfielder hobbled around on one leg in QFA Nth still a booming kick tho but will be a more permanent fwd at this level...

Tiger2000

Rookie
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Beer, Morto and Woodsy will be back.

Unsure on Scott, but obviously would be huge loss - best player at the club. Weighing up retirement I imagine.

Copland and Fletcher at Lions NEAFL with Pershouse and Dennis also.

There are also some fresh faces, don't be fooled.

That's a real shame the club will once again lose good, young players to that Lions NEAFL nonsense. Being used as witches hats for listed Lions players while getting flogged every week doesn't help them at all. From my experience, the poor kids just go out there to make up the numbers, get no feedback week in week out and end up back in the QAFL anyway when the next lot of 17/18 year olds come through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
the false promises they are fed about being under the nose of AFL recruiters is the worst bit.

It impacts the development of the AFL listed Lions players as well as the top up kids. The difference in ability is so great that it would be a hard task to coach them each week.

I am aware of Will Fletcher and Lachie Dennis. They are good young players, but are not every going to be AFL players. They would be better off staying at their QAFL club and forging a solid amateur career. Copland and Pershouse both have a bit more ability, and being 'talls' are worthy of development time, but they'd be better off at Aspley or Redlands than the Lions.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
the false promises they are fed about being under the nose of AFL recruiters is the worst bit.

It impacts the development of the AFL listed Lions players as well as the top up kids. The difference in ability is so great that it would be a hard task to coach them each week.

I am aware of Will Fletcher and Lachie Dennis. They are good young players, but are not every going to be AFL players. They would be better off staying at their QAFL club and forging a solid amateur career. Copland and Pershouse both have a bit more ability, and being 'talls' are worthy of development time, but they'd be better off at Aspley or Redlands than the Lions.
I completely agree, and have no idea why any half decent kid would take up that sort of offer. You only have to have watched a Lions NEAFL game to understand. If they want to genuinely further their career, keep playing for their own clubs, or go play in Vic or SA. Playing at the Lions is about as big a dead end as their is. It's surprising they wouldn't get talked out of it by someone from their own club.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And the ground had more sand on it than most beaches in Queensland. Just to give the players an idea what living on the Gold Coast is all about !!

Peanut,
not entirely correct ,, the surface was in great shape ,,, and coaches Eade and Fagan confirmed they were happy with it ... i also spoke to Zorko , Close, and Rockliff after the game and they had no issues with the surface

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Peanut,
not entirely correct ,, the surface was in great shape ,,, and coaches Eade and Fagan confirmed they were happy with it ... i also spoke to Zorko , Close, and Rockliff after the game and they had no issues with the surface
That's good to hear. I spoke to Brandon Matera today and he told me he is still spitting sand out of his mouth after that tackle from Frost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back