QAFL 2016

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Might have to eat humble pie Damo after yesterdays result (Time will tell) Contacted a mate from Grange to get his thoughts on the game - he was thrilled with the high pressure win but he quickly changed subject to - in his words - he was disgusted with the gutless Labrador thug in the Ressies who belted a young Grange player from behind, breaking his jaw.
Wonder if anyone else can elaborate?
it's only the first game. wonder how many weeks the labrador player got from the grand final cowards punch in the ressies game

Northside Nomad

Debutant
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Makes me sick hearing things like that. Throw the book at him

Don't know much about the incident, but heard the police are involved. No place for grubs - I don't understand what makes young blokes think they can belt someone like that on the field or in town on a night out for that matter. Thoughts with the young man on what can only assume will be a lengthy recovery.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was at the game. Disgraceful stuff from the Labrador thug. Hopefully caught on camera.

Great game in the 1's. Seems some clubs got much more out of NEAFL listed players dropping back than others, as Foster was enormous - whereas word on the street is that it was a different story over at Dittmer Park, where the Magpies rolled out 6 NEAFL players and apart from Lawrence, they gave them diddly squat.

Are clubs entitled to play blokes in the 2's if they want to? Surely it can't be good to have 25% of your team from other clubs?

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't know much about the incident, but heard the police are involved. No place for grubs - I don't understand what makes young blokes think they can belt someone like that on the field or in town on a night out for that matter. Thoughts with the young man on what can only assume will be a lengthy recovery.

I wasn't at the game and what a terrible thing for someone to be injured like that. I did hear that the Labrador player was distraught after the game due to it being out of character for him. A spectator told me it was retaliation to a few jumper punches so although it is not condoned, it is not a cowards punch. Still no one deserves that from a game of football.

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
it's only the first game. wonder how many weeks the labrador player got from the grand final cowards punch in the ressies game

No good at all. The Labrador lad involved is a 19 year old with a previously clean record, still the resultant injury is terrible. All the best with the recovery of the young Grange lad, no place for that at the footy.

Magpieboy

Senior List
Mar 4, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
No good at all. The Labrador lad involved is a 19 year old with a previously clean record, still the resultant injury is terrible. All the best with the recovery of the young Grange lad, no place for that at the footy.
Even with his clean record, it seems his intent was to do as much damage as was possible and to do it from behind to a player who wasn't expecting it - downright thuggery. I hope he receives the appropriate suspension, that is at least the number of weeks it takes to get the Grange player back on deck.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watched the first half of the Broady vs Panthers game ,,, was played at a good pace with some good passages of footy ,, Broady had 10 debuntants so they did ok for their first game of the season...I was expecting a 10 goal loss ,,
Then i slipped up to mt gravatt vs magpies.. and must say the vultures looked very impressive ,,, were all over the magpies ,,

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wasn't at the game and what a terrible thing for someone to be injured like that. I did hear that the Labrador player was distraught after the game due to it being out of character for him. A spectator told me it was retaliation to a few jumper punches so although it is not condoned, it is not a cowards punch. Still no one deserves that from a game of football.
still a cowards punch if done from behind as seems to be described. If it happened off field player would be arrested. If you upset with some jumper punches then lay some tackles and get the ball. best way of retaliation is scoreboard.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Fact

Aspley threatened to not enter neafl if weren't allowed to keep community team

Southport will always play in the highest competition available to them whatever the collateral damage

Redlands were financial enough to enter the NEAFL

Panthers at the time didn't think it was a good move to go into NEAFL

A my tip for the QAFL

Labrador unbeaten
Did you mean Labrador reserves unbeaten Dogwarna?

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was at the Lab v Grange game as well last week my observations are as such , Grange will have a lot of tribununal witnesses this year if things continue as they are and their home ground almost became the Windy Hill of QLD footy last weekend. Aflq have no idea.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good win by Broady today,,, they did well last week against the Panthers with 10 debuntants ,,, same today and coach Andrews is doing a good job ,,, they will only get better as they get to know each other and still have 2 or 3 senior/experienced players out injured..

Dezario

All Australian
Dec 14, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Geelong
Morningside v palmy was a cracking game too, Morningside built a four goal lead in the second quarter, palmy got to a 17 point lead mid way through the last but as always Morningside came hard and won by 2 goals. Lions cost themselves but going on results the Comp is evening out very nicely

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
Big bounce back from the Pies this week too.

Just goes to show that too many NEAFL listed players in a team is a negative not a positive.
Yes trying to get team cohesion when different players are playing each week is hard.

But be interested to note if the general skill level goes up even if the game plan is changed to accept the NEAFL players in team

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Shocked by that result, can't just blame NEAFL players as they still had a few of them this week. Obviously tweaked their gameplan and effort to get a result like that. Also combined with Grange probably thinking it would just happen for them after the respective Week 1's for each team.

I went to the Morningside vs PBC game. Very good standard, PBC have obviously done a bit of chequebook recruiting over the summer and done it well. Logan for the siders was huge, but PBC really should have won that game, took the gas a little bit.

AFLgreat101

Draftee
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Going back to last weeks game against lab and grange in the reserves I actually sore the incident and there was no punch from behind in was front on I know it's not a good look and I don't condone it but don't crucify a kid on here without knowing the facts the bloke got 8 weeks for it! There was def Not a coward punch from behind

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was at the game and saw it. He hit him from behind.

Unfortunately as I understand it, wasn't caught on camera. But 20 blokes near me will tell you the same thing

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hopefully the 8 week suspension shows others to not do it either. Not part of Football at all to throw punches. Choose boxing if you want that not a game of Football.

Back