QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

PBC and Labrador would have the same arrangements, every club just does it differently.

All clubs have an association with a NEAFL clubs and their excess players. Every NEAFL listed player is listed with a QAFL club as well, and there is a pre-season draft to determine this (for players that haven't nominated a former club of theirs etc)

If a club believes in their QAFL list and doesn't want NEAFL blokes coming in and out, they deliberately draft top-end NEAFL talent pretty safe in the knowledge that they will never see them.

If they feel like they could do with some top-up players, or have gaps in their list - then come NEAFL draft day - those clubs deliberately target the bottom end of the NEAFL lists in the draft, pretty safe in the knowledge that those blokes will play most weeks for them in the QAFL.

The place you don't want to be is have a bunch of guys associated with your club that are around the bottom of the best 22 for their NEAFL team, or next in line for the best 22 - as they are the types that will come and go week to week and continuity will suffer.

sounds like Broadbeach are in that scenario, while Labrador and PBC are not.

the structure is exactly the same for all clubs though.
The issue I have is that guys who should have been available for QAFL duty were used as top-ups for a NEAFL side they have absolutely no affiliation with. If they're serious about growing the game in Western Sydney, give a kid from the local comp there a go instead of disrupting our comp. Or as Thommo suggested, ask the guys who are on the bye if they want a run (if you can call being stuck in a pocket with a bunch of strangers and copping a flogging a run).

One of the boys used was a Maroochydore lad.
Look its a tough one, an ideal scenario would be for NEAFL clubs to have their own reserves teams but this would really dilute talent in Qld.
Anyway whats done is done, hopefully the kids did get a good experience playing with a different NEAFL side but in reality the Lions have not had to dig too deep this year bc of their lack of injuries so opportunity for some of these boys to play at that level.

The issue I have is that guys who should have been available for QAFL duty were used as top-ups for a NEAFL side they have absolutely no affiliation with. If they're serious about growing the game in Western Sydney, give a kid from the local comp there a go instead of disrupting our comp. Or as Thommo suggested, ask the guys who are on the bye if they want a run (if you can call being stuck in a pocket with a bunch of strangers and copping a flogging a run).

completely agree, I was merely replying to the post about Broadbeach lacking continuity due to ins and outs for Southport.

Kids going to GWS is a complete and utter joke

The next few weeks will be very interesting in the battle for the top five, positions 3 to 5 up for grabs and everyone down to 8 a possibility the next few rounds will be vital for all concerned.

In a quirk of the draw, we play the Magpies twice in the run home. Who gets the chocolates in those 2 games will play a big role in how we both finish.

I believe its a big day down at Chelmer tomorrow, so we will need to be really up and going.

Their % is the best of the mid table teams though, which is an advantage

The next few weeks will be very interesting in the battle for the top five, positions 3 to 5 up for grabs and everyone down to 8 a possibility the next few rounds will be vital for all concerned.

Very important next month. I don't think Surfers are a chance but they can have a big say on who finishes where.

Watched the Mt Gravatt vs Palm Beach today ,,, big upset here ,,,
The Vultures were so good ,,, man on man , huge pressure, great tackling and they played the old fashion game plan be it pushing the footy forward to the goal post. None of this sideways and backwards stuff ,,, just pushed forward and the players performed to this game plan .

The Vultures were so good ,,, man on man , huge pressure, great tackling and they played the old fashion game plan be it pushing the footy forward to the goal post. None of this sideways and backwards stuff ,,, just pushed forward and the players performed to this game plan .

3 losses in a row for palmy. Although their reserves have been playing really well it goes to show when 6 of their best players are missing makes a massive difference.

Huge win for my Gravatt though keeps them right in the mix

3 losses in a row for palmy. Although their reserves have been playing really well it goes to show when 6 of their best players are missing makes a massive difference.

Huge win for my Gravatt though keeps them right in the mix

Dezario
you say Palmy had 6 of there best players missing !!!.. Who are they ? I know Derrick and Douglas didnt play ,, but I notice that their guns like Burge, Headland, Digan, Troutman, Emblem, Cornish and Wooley played ,,,, so apart from Derrick and Douglas,, who are the players missing that are players as good as the ones I have just mentioned ...I dont know all of the player list at Palmy ,, so please update me ..
Palmy were totally outplayed,, got frustrated, gave away 3 50 metre penalities that cost them goals, players were arguing with each other, and 2 of their best players actually expressed huge dissatisfaction with the senior coach verbally from the sideline to the coaches box .. !!!

Dezario
you say Palmy had 6 of there best players missing !!!.. Who are they ? I know Derrick and Douglas didnt play ,, but I notice that their guns like Burge, Headland, Digan, Troutman, Emblem, Cornish and Wooley played ,,,, so apart from Derrick and Douglas,, who are the players missing that are players as good as the ones I have just mentioned ...I dont know all of the player list at Palmy ,, so please update me ..
Palmy were totally outplayed,, got frustrated, gave away 3 50 metre penalities that cost them goals, players were arguing with each other, and 2 of their best players actually expressed huge dissatisfaction with the senior coach verbally from the sideline to the coaches box .. !!!

Woolley didn't play.

Woolley, Derrick, Douglas. S.Thynne. Munro. Callinan.

A lot of experience out of the best 22. I think they are similar to broady in a way as to when they get 2 or 3 of their southport listed players they are much stronger.

But whatever the case, someone is going to have to play some mighty football to beat Labrador

Great weekend for us. Our thirds side had a huge win on Friday against a highly fancied side, we then had a training run in the 2s before a couple of cracking encounters in the 1's and Colts.

We were in a bit of strife at 3/4 time I felt from the sideline in the seniors, but then big Kent went bang, bang, bang and it was curtains. Magpies have a very small back half, and we were pleasantly surprised by the absence of Val Pope when we took the field.

Colts game was incredible, sadly we couldn't quite get 4 from 4 after a great twilight game in front of what was an exceptionally good and boisterous crowd.

Good weekend of footy between the Sides and Magpies in all grades.

Woolley didn't play.

Woolley, Derrick, Douglas. S.Thynne. Munro. Callinan.

A lot of experience out of the best 22. I think they are similar to broady in a way as to when they get 2 or 3 of their southport listed players they are much stronger.

But whatever the case, someone is going to have to play some mighty football to beat Labrador

Dezario,
thanks for that update.
Certainly shows a fairly even competition this season .... great battle for a finals spot now.
Labrador ,, well ,, say no more ... certainly the ones to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big E ,, you are not getting my drift here ... Blair is a very good coach ,, fantastic record ,, and I recognize this,,, but what I m saying ,, he had the players whom were paid good bucks both at Morningside and Aspley ,, and its comes to a time where a club has to say ,, no more big bucks to numerous players as our facilities have become so outdated its not funny... ( in Morningsides case ) Hence their change in progress for the club .
In Aspleys case ,, obviously a well funded club,, but after 4 seasons of good player payments, I feel the board are seeing the light here as well
Put it this way ... how much success would Blair have achieved if he had been coaching say a lower placed club that do not have the funds to pay lots of coin player payment wise ????
Amazing the garbage written here, haven't been on for a while, but is the Doddys even from Morningside...what era is he talking about, what does he consider a well paid Panther, take a stab at what Tangles Lillico was on, see if your around the mark cause what your writing would suggest your delusional

Amazing the garbage written here, haven't been on for a while, but is the Doddys even from Morningside...what era is he talking about, what does he consider a well paid Panther, take a stab at what Tangles Lillico was on, see if your around the mark cause what your writing would suggest your delusional
Just
Dogwarna,
I don't no where you get your information from.Morningside were the lowest paying club in Blairy's era.How do I know that because I did all the contracts so if you are going to write things gets your facts right champion because all your doing is looking like a twat.

Were
Yes ,, i believe you are spot on .... My employer is a major sponsor of the Panthers and has been for some 20 years or so .. it is no secret they were paying good coin to players in the Blair coaching regime ,,, something Blair demanded !!!!
In Blairs final season, the newly appointed heirachy concluded this has to cease as the clubs facilities were becoming so outdated it wasnt funny ...
Moving forward,, the club has gained grants , raised their own funds etc etc to assist them in improving the facilities ... give it 2 seasons and the panthers homeground will have great facilities,,, just like Broadbeach s .... these facilities will assist in attracting players without having to pay the big bucks to players .. to some degree.
May I also comment ,,, since Blairs move to coach at Aspley ,,, a wealthy club,,, success occurred in the first 2 seasons, but has dropped off ,, can you guess why !!!!!...Maybe, just maybe the same scenario ,, to much coin being paid to players ,, not to mention what Blairy is paid, ..
Champion I don't know what your employer has told you but what a lot of garbage.Unless I had 28 beers when I was doing the contracts the players were paid nothing.We were the lowest paid club in Blairy's era so champion get your facts right before you go writing garbage on here.

Just

Dogwarna,
I don't no where you get your information from.Morningside were the lowest paying club in Blairy's era.How do I know that because I did all the contracts so if you are going to write things gets your facts right champion because all your doing is looking like a twat.

Think that was his point mate... fair to ask "Doggie what's" his opinion on it, i would say he was pretty close to the team during the period Blair was coach...

Yeah think you might have missed dogs point hodge. ProbBly better off having a crack at doddsy and co who felt that the Siders era was not based around culture but around reasonable $$. Im sure there was an element of jealousy from other clubs that such a good playing list could be kept together without paying the likes of what southport were. A lot of people crap on about culture at their club, but others actually create it. And it doesn't come from winning games of footy either.

Making claims that you were the lowest paying club suggests you have intimate knowledge of what other clubs were paying.

If you're doing all the player contracts, that suggests every player was paid?

Nobody would ever suggest Morningside paid like Southport - but the old claim that Morningside didn't pay players has never actually been based on fact, as your own post about how much certain players got confirms.

Disputing the amount someone like Tangles got (which was no doubt unders) doesn't change the fact that he still got something.

When Mayne folded and Housey left for Morningside, it wasn't because he loved them - they had the best offer! (just as an example)

Not sure you should speak on Houseys behalf QAFL! Not sure anyone said Morningside paid nothing either!! And not sure how you assume that doing all the players contracts = all players get paid?? What about "all the players who got paid I did their contracts" therefore all the players??

Bottom line is Morningside reputedly had a player payment structure about 1/3 of Southports and quiet a few others - yet had much more success. I would say their success had a fair bit to do with their culture at the time...

Yeah think you might have missed dogs point hodge. ProbBly better off having a crack at doddsy and co who felt that the Siders era was not based around culture but around reasonable $$. Im sure there was an element of jealousy from other clubs that such a good playing list could be kept together without paying the likes of what southport were. A lot of people crap on about culture at their club, but others actually create it. And it doesn't come from winning games of footy either.
Sorry mate it was meant for Doddsy not dogs

I tho
Making claims that you were the lowest paying club suggests you have intimate knowledge of what other clubs were paying.

Nobody would ever suggest Morningside paid like Southport - but the old claim that Morningside didn't pay players has never actually been based on fact, as your own post about how much certain players got confirms.

Disputing the amount someone like Tangles got (which was no doubt unders) doesn't change the fact that he still got something.

When Mayne folded and Housey left for Morningside, it wasn't because he loved them - they had the best offer! (just as an example)
I think you we'll find he did champion.If he went to us for money then he is very easily pleased and can I get him working for me.You blokes have no idea it's so funny reading the garbage you write as you would not have a clue on what we paid players.

I never said we don't have a great culture, I just said we didn't mind reinforcing the myth that all our guns (including the ones we recruited from interstate or up north) played for us for nothing. Which was never the case.

Paying 1/3rd of Southport $ is pretty big $! I would have said even less.

you would not have a clue on what we paid players.

You're right, I (we?) wouldn't

But I do know you did pay them. How much, hardly anyone would ever know. The point is that the Siders have often liked to pretend they paid nothing, when they did pay something. How much? sounds like only you and the players concerned would know (which is the way it should be) but it was more than nothing...

Mate the post was that Blairy always had money to work with never was it suggested that we didn't pay.It was posted that we bought a premiership and payed alot for players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back