QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about Mills ,, but ive heard the same rumour ,,, they have also lost full back in Young ,, whom is having a crack at NEAFL level. He is a good player and a loss to the Tigers

The tigers will be certainly there abouts again in 2018, Featherstone and Hall have retired, Young is having a crack at Southport. Mills is going around again, and I'm pretty sure they will announce shortly a few good recruits I've heard they are talking too from the GVFL. And as for coin running out they have had the same budget for the last 4 years for 4 Grand Finals... Luke Black football manager runs the place like clock work! Expect the tigers to be right in the mix with Palm Beach again, and Broadbeach will be right in it also...

How many Labrador juniors playing Senior footy there?

If the answer is less than 10, is he really doing a good job as a footy manager? Or is he just a good recruiter?

IF HE PUT MORE EFFORT INTO RESERVES AND COLTS THE CLUB WOULD BE IN A BETTER PLACE GOING FORWARD.

Not sure you are in fact all knowing!!

Labrador have used their resources well in the main. My thoughts are that they have used the same recruiting model as always and have always been relatively financial - just that the recruiting for the NEAFL years were a bit off. Back at QAFL level without Southport, Aspley etc - they are the powerhouse.

I believe also that over the next few years as the northern corridor grows they will have a higher intake of home grown players.
Not sure the Qafl is really designed to be a development league - think country footy in Victoria.
Palmy have a free hit with the AFL program at the high school that Neil Mackay runs and Owens coaches as well. Always have a few good juniors coming through - but recruit heavily as well.
My club has the most home grown players but sadly without the ability to recruit some players of the calibre of our coast counterparts we cannot get the level.

The tigers will be certainly there abouts again in 2018, Featherstone and Hall have retired, Young is having a crack at Southport. Mills is going around again, and I'm pretty sure they will announce shortly a few good recruits I've heard they are talking too from the GVFL. And as for coin running out they have had the same budget for the last 4 years for 4 Grand Finals... Luke Black football manager runs the place like clock work! Expect the tigers to be right in the mix with Palm Beach again, and Broadbeach will be right in it also...

So basically you are going out on a limb here and tipping the top 3 from this year to be strong again ?
Gutsy November tip!!

Not sure you are in fact all knowing!!

Labrador have used their resources well in the main. My thoughts are that they have used the same recruiting model as always and have always been relatively financial - just that the recruiting for the NEAFL years were a bit off. Back at QAFL level without Southport, Aspley etc - they are the powerhouse.

I believe also that over the next few years as the northern corridor grows they will have a higher intake of home grown players.
Not sure the Qafl is really designed to be a development league - think country footy in Victoria.
Palmy have a free hit with the AFL program at the high school that Neil Mackay runs and Owens coaches as well. Always have a few good juniors coming through - but recruit heavily as well.
My club has the most home grown players but sadly without the ability to recruit some players of the calibre of our coast counterparts we cannot get the level.

Where do all the Helensvale SHS boys go - similar to PBC with quality.

Obviously the points system needs a rejig. With Brisbane clubs alleged to be spending <50% of GC clubs on match payments, the point system should be the equalizer

Obviously the points system needs a rejig. With Brisbane clubs alleged to be spending <50% of GC clubs on match payments, the point system should be the equalizer

It’s a difficult one. The points system didn’t stop Morningside being undefeated premiers in 2014, neither should it have.

Another consideration is the differing populations with Bne being 2.3 million people and the GC around 600 thousand.

That was an anomaly in the rejigged competition. Strong NEAFL side dropping back a division that kept a majority of their list.

Apparently there is a president s meeting coming up and equalisation is on the agenda. Points system and salary caps are needed IMO but also need to be thoughtful as to not pull back the comp too much.

Fan the man how do you know what clubs are paying?

And for what it’s worth I’m pretty sure the points cap is at 42, probably needs to get to about 37/38 over a couple of years .

And regarding a salary cap I believe there should be one in place for minimum and maximum. Hard to enforce but use stat decs etc and the f clubs cheat then poor form.

A minimum of 25 k to a max of about 75k is what I think is fair, and that includes coaches.

Rejig and a salary cap. Points system a waste of time without salary cap.
Call me a cynic but I'm not sure a salary cap will be policed well either. Strong rumour that a particular club was found to be over a few years back and league took no action.

What should the salary cap be 75k?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do all the Helensvale SHS boys go - similar to PBC with quality.
Have to disagree...over the last 3 years Palm Beach with both teams at full strength have been 10 goals + better. That is now reversing and there seems to be a swing with numbers at Helensvale coming through the junior school. Having said that, some of the Helensvale boys who graduated could develop into decent QAFL players, whereas the Palmy boys you should know well. And few nervous boys this week I'd imagine hoping to get picked up.

Some Victorian Clubs spend around $200k a d they aren’t even State level.

There should be no minimum but even maximum caps can be exploited if clubs are smart n cunning enough.

Some Victorian Clubs spend around $200k a d they aren’t even State level.

There should be no minimum but even maximum caps can be exploited if clubs are smart n cunning enough.

I think regarding the QAFL as a state league is a bit of a stretch - its of similar standing to country competitions.
Agree no minimum - we would fail to reach the said minimum!!

If a cap is in. It needs to be heaps more then 75k.

If you look at the premier leagues in Vic that have caps its around 200k. Obviously its bit high for here but the "premier" comp in the state needs a decent cap if it even needs it.

Magpies have just signed corrie. And with harwood. Both ex afl.

Now I'm only guessing they wouldn't get out of bed on a Saturday for anything less then 600 surely. Otherwise an absolute steal.
Now between them that's around 30k.
Nearly half of the say 75k cap.

So with just a low cap you can't attract good players to keep the standard of the league at a decent level.

Just my opinion.

haha, absolutely dreaming if you think those boys get (or even ask for) $600 a game.

AFLQ sent us all the numbers, and Brisbane clubs do spend about 50% of the average GC Club match payment bill.

I don't believe in a cap, because its impossible to police. We assist players in far more beneficial ways to them as people than just flicking them some match payments. Obviously the trade off is that they have to be people we are happy to help out as good blokes, not just good footballers. Corrie and Harwood both fit that criteria.

The points system clearly needs a re-think. Some of the GC clubs go on annual raids to GVFL, O&M, EDFL etc and throw big coin at blokes worth 2 or 3 points. Meanwhile, if some local kid comes from a QFA Club to us to test themselves at a higher level, they are worth 3 points! Madness.

there should be an interstate recruit minimum points of 4 straight off the bat.

haha, absolutely dreaming if you think those boys get (or even ask for) $600 a game.

AFLQ sent us all the numbers, and Brisbane clubs do spend about 50% of the average GC Club match payment bill.

I don't believe in a cap, because its impossible to police. We assist players in far more beneficial ways to them as people than just flicking them some match payments. Obviously the trade off is that they have to be people we are happy to help out as good blokes, not just good footballers. Corrie and Harwood both fit that criteria.

The points system clearly needs a re-think. Some of the GC clubs go on annual raids to GVFL, O&M, EDFL etc and throw big coin at blokes worth 2 or 3 points. Meanwhile, if some local kid comes from a QFA Club to us to test themselves at a higher level, they are worth 3 points! Madness.

Thommo .. must agree with you ,, the points system has been in place down in country victoria ,, and really ,, it has done nothing to improve the even ness of the comps ...

My concern is current clubs in the QAFL surviving in this comp or nominating to exit and drop down a level ,,, we had UQ drop out in 2017 and one must admit Sandgate are battling and even Surfers are finding it tough to participate in this comp financially ... Is a concern and in reality there is no formula to amend it !!!!

If a cap is in. It needs to be heaps more then 75k.

If you look at the premier leagues in Vic that have caps its around 200k. Obviously its bit high for here but the "premier" comp in the state needs a decent cap if it even needs it.

Magpies have just signed corrie. And with harwood. Both ex afl.

Now I'm only guessing they wouldn't get out of bed on a Saturday for anything less then 600 surely. Otherwise an absolute steal.
Now between them that's around 30k.
Nearly half of the say 75k cap.

So with just a low cap you can't attract good players to keep the standard of the league at a decent level.

Just my opinion.

It's not the premier comp in QLD - that's the NEAFL which has turned into a shmozzle!
The QAFL is several rungs below in standard if we are being honest.
$600 a game - I have that at around 20k for the season.

Maybe Sandgate and Surfers will go in time when the NEAFL dissolves - which I think is looking more likely each year.
When setting a salary cap you have to factor what the current clubs can pay - my understanding is that 2 clubs can pay well in excess of 75k and one club about that figure. the remaining 6 clubs would struggle to get there.
So what figure is fair?

So AFLQ sent your club the numbers? Pray tell about the publication of these figures.

Thommo .. must agree with you ,, the points system has been in place down in country victoria ,, and really ,, it has done nothing to improve the even ness of the comps ...

Sth Croydon won the EFL Div 1 premiership, Wangaratta Rovers the O&M - think there has been some affect...

My concern is current clubs in the QAFL surviving in this comp or nominating to exit and drop down a level ,,, we had UQ drop out in 2017 and one must admit Sandgate are battling and even Surfers are finding it tough to participate in this comp financially ... Is a concern and in reality there is no formula to amend it !!!!

Dont think you need a formula, just relegation/promotion. Allows for clubs to reset, get house in order.

The hard thing is availability of NEAFL players imo - because QAFL clubs dont pay the players wage when they drop back its basically a free kick. If the NEAFL was to fall over (and I agree, think its a comp that is struggling along despite being good football but just too heavily compromised for the average punter to really take a great deal of interest or for the players to get genuinely excited) then it would be interesting to see where all those 90+ players fall back to. Obviously a number would stay at the 3 NEAFL clubs but I think clubs like Morningside, Magpies, Broadbeach would benefit from the exodus coming back in. The 3 NEAFL clubs would no doubt be strong still but throw in 3-4 others and you have a ripping comp. Problem previous was 3 clubs on the north side hammering each other for players (but Grange far better off now than 4 years ago), and probably a similar situation on the GC. Reckon PBC would love to take on Southport right now and the interest generated would be immense. Same with Broadbeach.

One thing I do know is that the coaching of many of the QAFL sides is very good with blokes like Wildschutt, Webby, Clarkey, Morgan and obviously Owens and BA down south - apologies dont know a few of the others - but this is a really solid sign for Qld footy.

Agree - not sure what the thinking here is - any Qld player should be automatically less points even if far better than the southern counterpart!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back