QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only the clubs and players know exactly but the top paid players in the comp (like those mentioned and a few others) would be on between $500-$700 per game. In this comp it’s big money but chicken feed compared to what they could get in vic
Agree,,
Ovens & Murray have (and spend) a salary cap of 180k , GVFL some 160k ....even the minor leagues around Albury for example have (and spend ) a 100k salary cap .

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well done. Broady have the best ground/facilities in the comp. Natural site advantages, but utilised really well.

I don't think you post for the water on the fields do you?

We still pay rates btw!

We had pokies, opted to get rid of them. Bad look for a community facility imo.

Agree mate re pokies and community facilities. Would love it if all clubs decided this was the case.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree,,
Ovens & Murray have (and spend) a salary cap of 180k , GVFL some 160k ....even the minor leagues around Albury for example have (and spend ) a 100k salary cap .

Yep, in the past 3 seasons we have lost 2 blokes to the Loddon Valley league (which is like Div 2/3 standard) for big $ as FIFO players.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Small clubs like mot of the QAFL clubs do not have enough club vistors that attend the sports club and put plenty thru the pokies ,,, Broadbeach got rid of their dozen poker machines some 2 years ago, because they were actually costing the club money ,,, not providing profits ..

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep, in the past 3 seasons we have lost 2 blokes to the Loddon Valley league (which is like Div 2/3 standard) for big $ as FIFO players.

Its quite amazing stuff this whole FIFO thing involving Qld players! I simply dont get it except the points system must be biting and Qld blokes dont accrue many points

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Must comment ,, down in Victoria a few years ago the VCFL bought in a points system for all clubs after many clubs were folding or merging with a nearby club to survive... This points system is ok for the strong clubs to continue to have some success, but it hinders the clubs that are battling ,,, its got to a belief that the goal of the VCFL is to have the struggling clubs fold or merge !!!!
Trust me, we dont need this system in our QLD footy.!!

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also ,, the standard of comps in country Victoria has declined over the past 10 years... and please recognize the QAFL standard in comparsion is much better then the minor leagues down there... We do get to watch some good footy in a comp[ that is not so uneven..

Super Paradise

Debutant
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely nfi.

I just heard through the grapevine that all the clubs were told at a QAFL meeting what each of them spent on players. So not publicly released as claimed by Tommo, but the numbers were put on the table.

I was told that nobody was over $100k, but there were 2 clubs up over $80k (unsurprisingly the GF teams) and that it went all the way down to Sandgate at around $20k with Morningside/Grange the biggest spending Brisbane clubs around $30-$40k.

Surfers and Broadbeach more than that, but way less than their GC counterparts and Vultures and Magpies in the $25k-$30k bracket.

Based on that, Mounties clearly getting best value for money!

Surfers no where near that figure - around 20k more accurate.
I wouldn't hold much light to what is reported to AFLQ as I believe like clubs have done in the past - there are several "off books" deals.

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so their members and other people at the club don't know the money they are blowing chasing flags?

Especially if the funds come from their junior base!

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so their members and other people at the club don't know the money they are blowing chasing flags?

Especially if the funds come from their junior base!

Agree. It seems in clubs interest to downplay and underestimate what they spend, perhaps for the reasons you say but also to moderate expectations and so nobody from other clubs can say “you only won because of money”.

Also when recruiting every club wants players in it for the right reasons rather than ‘mercenaries’ so to announce to the world that you pay lots not only attracts the wrong types but forces you to pay overs due to the perception that the club can afford it.

Super Paradise is right, what was reported to AFLQ and what actually happened may not be the same thing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolutely nfi.

I just heard through the grapevine that all the clubs were told at a QAFL meeting what each of them spent on players. So not publicly released as claimed by Tommo, but the numbers were put on the table.

I was told that nobody was over $100k, but there were 2 clubs up over $80k (unsurprisingly the GF teams) and that it went all the way down to Sandgate at around $20k with Morningside/Grange the biggest spending Brisbane clubs around $30-$40k.

Surfers and Broadbeach more than that, but way less than their GC counterparts and Vultures and Magpies in the $25k-$30k bracket.

Based on that, Mounties clearly getting best value for money!

Can tell you Palmy n Labrador have paid well over $100,000 onplayers over the past few years.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
well if they have reported $80-90k to AFLQ, its not a big stretch to say it could be $100k

Fan,
all of this guessing as to how much clubs are spending on players is simply that ... guessing !!!
Why not ask the club presidents and treasurers to divulge the amounts !!! and you still wont get a accurate answer, lol.

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe they did divulge this info to AFLQ and it was in the order of $80-90k

So its not much of a leap to say it could have been $100k

They're not going to say they spent MORE than they did

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I believe they did divulge this info to AFLQ and it was in the order of $80-90k

So its not much of a leap to say it could have been $100k

They're not going to say they spent MORE than they did

Of cause ,,, but to quote spending well over 100k over the past few years is more then a stretch ,

YOULL DO ME

Senior List
Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Of cause ,,, but to quote spending well over 100k over the past few years is more then a stretch ,
I reckon the arguments surrounding who spends what can wear a bit thin as from where I'm watching no one is unbeatable.i certainly realise it helps to be able to attract quality players with financial reward which in turn gives you a much better chance of contending however still not sure there is a sure thing in qafl footy.a club like palm beach should be commended for obviously doing heaps right off the field and being able to sustain financial payments over such a long term(10 grand final appearances in 15 years)and ofcourse outside parties will continue where possible to help their clubs out.morningside are a prime example of where a niche has been found to attract quality players without heavy spending over the past two decades yet success follows,the western magpies also have been more than competitive in past 3 or 4 years without massive coin spent.money helps no doubt and well done to those clubs who work harder than others in order to increase their chances of contending however you still require plenty of luck along the way to get to the big dance and on any given day their will always be other contenders(money clubs or not)

Dezario

All Australian
Dec 14, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon the arguments surrounding who spends what can wear a bit thin as from where I'm watching no one is unbeatable.i certainly realise it helps to be able to attract quality players with financial reward which in turn gives you a much better chance of contending however still not sure there is a sure thing in qafl footy.a club like palm beach should be commended for obviously doing heaps right off the field and being able to sustain financial payments over such a long term(10 grand final appearances in 15 years)and ofcourse outside parties will continue where possible to help their clubs out.morningside are a prime example of where a niche has been found to attract quality players without heavy spending over the past two decades yet success follows,the western magpies also have been more than competitive in past 3 or 4 years without massive coin spent.money helps no doubt and well done to those clubs who work harder than others in order to increase their chances of contending however you still require plenty of luck along the way to get to the big dance and on any given day their will always be other contenders(money clubs or not)

Best comment I’ve seen on here in a long time

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Heard a rumour that Grange are flying in cam Ilett for 7 games plus finals. That can’t be cheap but what a gun.

Also heard that Lab have signed 2 midfielders from the VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back