QAFL 2017

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see Brent Maloney named in the guts for Wilton Grange Monday night so the rumour of him heading there was on the money.
If fit he'll be very dangerous especially around stoppages.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll try my hand at this weekends games.

Vultures by 28
Lions by 20
Tigers by 55
Gorillas by 40

I reckon you are on the money here. Agree with the winners and actually the margins look about right too.

I reckon though there will be an 80-100 point thrashing somewhere (due mostly to a team being way underdone) and a nail biter or upset that surprises somewhere too.

No idea which game these happen but it will be fun to see

Giorgianni

Draftee
Jan 21, 2010
boothman street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great to see big Riley O'Neil returning to Australia to play footy for the Noosa tigers after chasing the coin in the Taiwan National League. Rumours confirmed that the big fella dominated the TNL going back to back league bnf. Sticks has gathered a huge following on social media with his popular Aussie challenge videos. Rumours are that Noosa tigers agreed to share with all their mates in return for the prized ruckmans signature.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tiger2000

Rookie
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon you are on the money here. Agree with the winners and actually the margins look about right too.

I reckon though there will be an 80-100 point thrashing somewhere (due mostly to a team being way underdone) and a nail biter or upset that surprises somewhere too.

No idea which game these happen but it will be fun to see

You were right about a thrashing, but I don't think anyone saw this one coming. Magpies over Vultures by 74.
All the more unbelievable given probably more than half the Magpies side were aged 20 or under, with about half a dozen of them playing their first senior game. Fast accurate ball movement with ferocious takling and pressure blew the Mounties off the park.
We'll done to the new coach, Brydan Morgan. Whatever he has done with these kids is working. Obviously still a long way to go but coming out in round 1 and doing that to better fancied side, on paper at least, is a great start and hopefully sets the tone for the following weeks.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
yes ,, that Magpies result was somewhat surprising ..
I watched the Palmy vs Panthers game today,,,, a interesting contest .... palmys third quarter blew the game away ,,, but Morningside were ok ,,score may of been a little closer but for a number of missed goals from easy set shots ....
I was impressed by a young morningside player up forward, be it Bissett ,, number 15 ,,, plenty of talent .
Palmy ,, for round one ,, a good effiort ,, very even team ,, but lacking good tall timber ..

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
also, my club , Broadbeach have today confirmed that ex North Melbourne ,ex Aspley premiership player in Eddie Sansbury has signed with the club .
So we have recruited regular NEAFL players now ,,, be it , Sansbury, Shreeve, Brewer , Burton, Blood, Ellis, and Panozza .
We have retained most of the players from last season, with some real good youngsters developing ,,,
And the new coaching hierachy should see us ,, i hope ,, as being vastly improved and up there with the top sides ..

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
You were right about a thrashing, but I don't think anyone saw this one coming. Magpies over Vultures by 74.
All the more unbelievable given probably more than half the Magpies side were aged 20 or under, with about half a dozen of them playing their first senior game. Fast accurate ball movement with ferocious takling and pressure blew the Mounties off the park.
We'll done to the new coach, Brydan Morgan. Whatever he has done with these kids is working. Obviously still a long way to go but coming out in round 1 and doing that to better fancied side, on paper at least, is a great start and hopefully sets the tone for the following weeks.

Yes, I heard the Magpies had 14 players under 23 in their side and 10 were 19 or younger. That super impressive.

I imagine the likes of Stallard, Pershouse, Dennis etc won't see much QAFL action again though if they keep playing so well!

Despite being Sherwood Juniors, they are all NEAFL listed as far as I'm aware - so the Magpies could be at the mercy of their NEAFL counterparts when it comes to selection each week, especially when you see their reserves copped a hiding.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Grange have splashed some coin around, so should be interesting to see how they go against a young Sandgate outfit.

Might be a bit 'over coached' with the new bloke at the helm though.

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Grange have splashed some coin around, so should be interesting to see how they go against a young Sandgate outfit.

Everything I'm hearing about the Gorillas playing group's response to the new coach is extremely positive.

All at the Grange are expecting a good performance tonight from the seniors on what should be a big night for the club, looking forward to it.

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
No doubt they will be pleased to have a coach thats not a teammate as well for a change.

Clarkey is a well respected guy, but from all reports lost it a bit late last year. Probably the risk when you have to talk someone into coaching though.

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No doubt they will be pleased to have a coach thats not a teammate as well for a change.

Clarkey is a well respected guy, but from all reports lost it a bit late last year. Probably the risk when you have to talk someone into coaching though.

I agree that the player/coach set-up was not working, so Matt Trewhella is probably the happiest bloke around the Grange this year.

As for Clarkey, results will tell the tale but the vibe at this very early stage is certainly positive.

Northside Nomad

Debutant
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I agree that the player/coach set-up was not working, so Matt Trewhella is probably the happiest bloke around the Grange this year.

As for Clarkey, results will tell the tale but the vibe at this very early stage is certainly positive.

Gorillas Team list on AFLQ website have Nathan wearing #8 which would suggest he plans on playing a game or 2?

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Clarke would be be 37/38?

Moncur was kicking bags last year for Mt Gravatt and would be a bit older than that. Shame the body let him down, would have loved to see the big man play a few more years and teach the young bucks a thing or 2! (they could have used him on the weekend!)

Not sure how he plays Ressies when coaching seniors, and not sure how he could play seniors when they are trying to move away form the player/coach setup they had under trowel.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, I heard the Magpies had 14 players under 23 in their side and 10 were 19 or younger. That super impressive.

I imagine the likes of Stallard, Pershouse, Dennis etc won't see much QAFL action again though if they keep playing so well!

Despite being Sherwood Juniors, they are all NEAFL listed as far as I'm aware - so the Magpies could be at the mercy of their NEAFL counterparts when it comes to selection each week, especially when you see their reserves copped a hiding.

Not quite that young, but definitely a young developing side.

Lost about 10 guys under the age of 22 to NEAFL or Academy teams, but luckily our juniors are very strong.

Though it was nice to see Pershouse, Stallard, Johnson, Dennis having a run at their home club. Even better if we get Fletcher, Copland and Lawrence for a few - but i doubt it!

Couple of young kids a few weeks away from returning from 2016 injuries, so depth will build.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Clarke would be be 37/38?

Moncur was kicking bags last year for Mt Gravatt and would be a bit older than that. Shame the body let him down, would have loved to see the big man play a few more years and teach the young bucks a thing or 2! (they could have used him on the weekend!)

Not sure how he plays Ressies when coaching seniors, and not sure how he could play seniors when they are trying to move away form the player/coach setup they had under trowel.
Broadbeach had a couple of mid 50s guys play in their 2s last year.

2 Left feet

Debutant
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
As did Sandgate
LOL, not quite. A few masters threw their hat in the ring and had a crack with the young fellas in the 2's when numbers were s**t but they were early to mid 40's. Another 10 years makes a big difference. They just look old and bitter.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL, not quite. A few masters threw their hat in the ring and had a crack with the young fellas in the 2's when numbers were s**t but they were early to mid 40's. Another 10 years makes a big difference. They just look old and bitter.

Ha. I played a 2s game vs Sandgate and my opponent looked well into his 50s.

Must have had a tough life!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Not a fan QAFL?? I rate Clarkey highly. Like most coaches, not everyones cup of tea but has been effective where ever he has ended up. Bottom line I'd be happy to have my boy play under him...

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
watched Broady beat Surfers by a point today in very windy conditions and a big crowd. Must say , Surfers have a lot of very quick players.... and are at the ball in numbers.
Broady lucky to get away with this one. Taking into account it was their 1st game of the year ,, they got better as the game progressed. Shreeve, Blood , and Panozza were the best of the new recruits, whilst big guns in Brewer and Sansbury were ok , but rusty ...will improve with game time.
And Lyons was very good ,,, a big talent !!!!!

Back