QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes the 7 pillars that AFL bureaucrats have written down are totally unrealistic for most clubs that are run by a bunch of volunteers. Paid AFL employees creating work for volunteers is just a joke
No different to the AFL changing rules of their game and it trickles down to grass roots footy, ridiculous. I have said before the Administrators of the Professional League and the Custodians of the sport should not be the same body.It is a conflict of interest and there should be a Structure for all other Football and one for the AFL.

Interesting State side, no Palm Beach or Mt Gravatt players and only one from Broadbeach.

No disrespect to the selected players but when you have a total of 1 player from 3 of the top 5 sides something is wrong. Chad Owens putting club over comp bragging is understandable but regrettable as PBC if we were serious would have at least 4 in the team and definitely a couple more from the cats and vultures.

For mine it needs to go back to a QLD state team like a couple of years ago when NEAFL native Queenslanders were eligible.
More of an honour to get selected being able to play for your state rather than just a comp.

And I'd like to see a game vs NSW ACT with similar eligibility, ie the best from ACT, Sydney premier and neafl native Nsw.

Tomorrow's half baked game between a WAAFL under 23 and a half strength QAFL doesn't really interest me and I'm a footy tragic and it's being played at my clubs home.

No disrespect to the selected players but when you have a total of 1 player from 3 of the top 5 sides something is wrong. Chad Owens putting club over comp bragging is understandable but regrettable as PBC if we were serious would have at least 4 in the team and definitely a couple more from the cats and vultures.

For mine it needs to go back to a QLD state team like a couple of years ago when NEAFL native Queenslanders were eligible.
More of an honour to get selected being able to play for your state rather than just a comp.

And I'd like to see a game vs NSW ACT with similar eligibility, ie the best from ACT, Sydney premier and neafl native Nsw.

Tomorrow's half baked game between a WAAFL under 23 and a half strength QAFL doesn't really interest me and I'm a footy tragic and it's being played at my clubs home.

Don't think it was chad Owens call for them not to play. He would definitely encourage the boys to play.

Pretty sure a couple have niggling injuries and needed the weekend off otherwise would have missed multiple weeks.

Thought a few more cats players would have played also. I do agree with the above post about qld natives being eligible whatever league they are from.

I actually think that Brittain and co have made a genuine attempt to reinvent State footy but that will take more than one year to repair a decade of destruction but kudos for effort.

Thoughts on the weekends fixture?

Wonder if the weather will play a part. A few grounds will be fairly boggy I imagine.

Morningside vs mtgravatt would be the hardest to pick. Has always been a great rivalry over the years.

Pbc v magpies also a tough one. Palmy you would think have enough to win at home

I reckon Sandgate could give Broady a shake if the can deliver a physical contest which they are reknown for at home, heavy ground will set them better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to all Broady's NEAFL quality players and their facilities?? Doesn't that get them the extra point for a win??

Providing excellent facilities for the local community is nothing to be ashamed of...or trying to put a competitive team on the park.

But yesterday was a great example of a lower team having a crack and playing with spirit and a more favoured team thinking it will just happen. That's why footy is great, the unpredictable result.

Well done to Sandgate they deserved the 2 points and at the Cattery we take the 2 points that could be important later in the season and we dust ourselves off and there's always next week.

Took the opportunity of my club's bye to go watch Southport in the NEAFL. Absolutely woeful is the only way to describe Southport - Needless to say I ended up at Palmy for the second half - Think they would go close to beating the Sharks at the minute as would Labrador as well. Not good.
Palmy are really building - Cats may have got ahead of themselves a little? Heard they have a few injuries too?
Morningside may have steadied the ship which would make the second half of the season interesting. Top 2 sorted but a blanket over the rest.

despite Broadies result vs Sandgate, I'd suggest they will definitely play finals.

Between Magpies, Grange, Siders and Vultures for the last 2 spots in the 5 in my view.

If one of those 4 teams drops a game against Surfers or Sandgate - it will really hurt them

Took the opportunity of my club's bye to go watch Southport in the NEAFL. Absolutely woeful is the only way to describe Southport - Needless to say I ended up at Palmy for the second half - Think they would go close to beating the Sharks at the minute as would Labrador as well. Not good.
Palmy are really building - Cats may have got ahead of themselves a little? Heard they have a few injuries too?
Morningside may have steadied the ship which would make the second half of the season interesting. Top 2 sorted but a blanket over the rest.

Correct ,, Broady have quite a few injuries to players that are in our top group. and they are long term injuries,,

Looks like we have a clear favourite emerging, certainly Western Magpies have strongly indicated over the last couple of seasons that they have easily had Labradors measure:
"Coach Brydan Morgan was philosophical after the match noting his side was outplayed but he was happy with the endeavour of the team and that they fought the match out for the entire 120 minutes. The coaching group felt the Lions were by far the best side the Pies have played this year."

You can understand that feeling, despite it being a different coach. (I think Morgan was an assistant at Aspley last year?)

Last 2 times the Pies have played PBC, they have been pumped. Though they did beat them down at Salk in the qualifying final late last year.

2 of the last 4 vs Labrador have been decided by less than a kick, one by less than 3 kicks. Yet the boys from Chelmer are 1 from 4 vs Labrador in their last 4 outings, as opposed to 2 from 4 vs PBC.

Just quietly, they are 0-4 against us in their last 4

Tigers are actually 3-1 against palmy from their last 4 if you go back to round 9 last year (Labrador haven't lost a game since!)

to say palmy are favourites is a bit outrageous when lab have beaten them comfortably the last 3 times they've played

As for the magpies statement I think every team matches up differently against one another so comparing margins from different games is irrelevant.

If palmy beat Broadbeach this weekend you would think the top 2 would be settled. Hopefully it's a dry round of footy. Feels like forever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back