QAFL 2018

Discussion in 'Queensland Footy' started by damochandler, Jan 18, 2018.

1. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Most have a central venue. Well they do in the metro far as I know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. ablett

ablett Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Wow Morningside smashed the Vultures!
    I wouldn’t of been that surprised if they beat’m in a close one at home but that’s a convincing scoreline, in both grades, have Morningside turned the corner did Mt.Gravatt have a lot of outs?
    All the other games results went as predicted although Labrador pushed Magpies for most of the game.

3. Dezario

Dezario Team Captain

Geelong
    Morningside had some huge inclusions which help a pretty young side. Nash is underatted and is a the glue for their team. 100 points though wow!

4. thunderdoc

thunderdoc Senior List

Brisbane Lions

Mt Gravatt very ordinary, Mallan and Wolbers exceptional. Vultures will lose by 100+
    to PBC with a similar performance.

5. FAN THE MAN

FAN THE MAN Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Mt Gravatt overrated, said it 2 weeks ago. Got sides early when they had a few key outs and just snuck over the line.

Will get found out back half of the year.

If you believe in % telling a good story, there are 5 sides with a better one.

PBC, Broady and Sherwood are cleary the best 3 sides in it - the rest are making up the numbers. I'd suggest there is a fair gap between PBC and the other 2 as well.

Denchy likes this.
  6. thunderdoc

thunderdoc Senior List

Brisbane Lions

Fair appraisal of Vultures, they were dreadful. I actually think the score on Saturday flattered them.
    If PBC have a full list this week the Vultures will gone by 100+ again.

7. DoItForCaptBlood

DoItForCaptBlood Club Legend

Richmond
    And then Palmy play Sandgate the following week. Looking at the Cats score just now, how ugly could the Palmy vs Sandgate game get. I don't remember so many blowouts last season.

8. smy1305

smy1305 Premiership Player

Gold Coast
    I'm sure there was - aside from this weekend don't think there has been that many. Vultures were sitting on top to lose by 100pts mind you. Tough time of year, tests depth and motivation for some players. PBC obviously have depth and can afford to lose a few without upsetting momentum.

9. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    be wary of Morningside ,,, are improving with every game , in both seniors and reserve grades, ,, possibly will finish up higher then the Magpies ,, making for a great contest this saturday.
    My Broady Cats travelling along ok as well ... had Searl, Blood , and Pantic out on saturday ,,and their are another 2 or 3 to come in ,,, .. all going well, I think we will give Palmy a good contest the next time we meet.

YOULL DO ME likes this.
  10. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Very quiet on here ,,, lol .
    any tips for the weekend games ,,,, labrador to beat the grange ,,,, palmy to defeat the vultures ,,, and Morningside to upset the magpies

11. 2010premier

2010premier All Australian

Brisbane Lions
    Yep agree with those tips. Morningside are on the up and I reckon the maggies could be due for a bit of a flat week.

And Grange just aren’t very good and it does seem like Labrador are getting their shit together and could still make a late run at the finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Watched the Palmy vs Vultures game today ,,, was a good contest and the Vultures did well considering they had a couple of good players out ...but Palmy had it in control .
    See the Panthers accounted for the Magpies ,,,, as I said last week,, the Panthers are building...

13. DoItForCaptBlood

DoItForCaptBlood Club Legend

Richmond
    Vultures may have had a couple of good players out, but Palmy had more than a couple, all will be back towards the back end of the season. So for me, I thought it was a missed chance for the Vultures to grab some points today.

14. switchingplay

switchingplay Team Captain

Essendon
    I only follow the qafl through the results and have not seen a game this year. Would i be right in saying Grange seem to be a major dissapointment this year. Bit of talk preseason about their recruiting but does not seem to have translated into performance. I see coach Clarke who must be nudging 40 fronted up yesty. Grange great club full of good people but seemes any decent success has alluded them for a fair while now.

smy1305 likes this.
  15. smy1305

Gold Coast
    And i see Bazza o’brien having a kick in 2s. Yeah agree switching, saying same thing to someone tonight. Always been a grwat club personnel wise from my experience but a lean time right now.

16. goalkicker11

goalkicker11 Senior List

Essendon
    Clarkey didn’t play and we are struggling with injuries had 5 18s double up for the 2s, been a very tough season for the gorillas

17. smy1305

Gold Coast
    More importantly how did you go mate.. :)

Yeah there is this false assumption that QAFL clubs do things easier/better than say Div 1 clubs. I know Broadbeach had 5 blokes over 40 (one over 50) fill in for a 2's game at the last minute vs UQ a couple of years ago just to put a side on the paddock. At all levels different clubs have their issues, and it should never be taken for granted that it is easy to get 3 sides on the oval every weekend.

18. FAN THE MAN

FAN THE MAN Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Morningside and Sherwood put 4 out on the park this week, as do Mayne, Maroochydoore, Coorparoo each week as well.

Not a bad effort from Mayne and Sherwood given both their senior sides are smashed with injury and unavailability.

In my estimations though, apart from Sandgate and to a lesser degree Grange - QAFL Reserves Football has increased in standard exponentially in the last 2 or 3 years. The example above of ringing in old guys like that just wouldn't happen anymore.

smy1305 likes this.
  19. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Well barry, although a very good player in his day, by his own admission i reckon would say that he isnt in “football shape” right now. Bottom line is you do what you have to do i suppose to put sides out there.

20. Thommo 42

Thommo 42 Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    We have one senior player injured. (had 4 others out on the weekend due to weddings, OS trips) but we are doing much better in 2018 with injuries.

21. smy1305

Gold Coast
    That's no good mate - hard to get past injuries unfortunately.

22. goalkicker11

goalkicker11 Senior List

Essendon
    You are correct I'm not in footy shape, I'm still feeling it now from playing Saturday, I don't see the point in colts playing 8 qtrs so I will fill in when we are short, The standard is ok but it's still 2s footy and would be on par with senior footy in div 2.

YOULL DO ME and smy1305 like this.
  23. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Agree - we will be in a similar situation in a few weeks time when we play down the GC and a wedding on plus colts on sunshine coast. May be pulling the boots on then... :)

24. Gazzaa

Gazzaa Rookie

Gold Coast

I think that your comment is incorrect regarding reserves standard. Reserves standard for QAFL is equivalent to Div 1 if not better. It is a blight on a club if they have old guys running around in the 2s - no offence to the old guys that help their club out hats off. I would imagine a club won’t be successful if there 2s aren’t any good injuries or not.

Not a good look for the QAFL?

25. Gazzaa

Gazzaa Rookie

Gold Coast
    What are the QAFL going to do with Sandgate? There past match was 175 point loss in reserves and 148 in seniors... and this is at Lemke Rd