QAFL 2018

Discussion in 'Queensland Footy' started by damochandler, Jan 18, 2018.

1. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Palm Beach belt Labrador today ... I see they gained 3 of last years premiership back from injury ....... and wait for it ,,,,, they have 4 more to return from injury ,,,,, geez if they have close to a full list come finals time, they will win the flag easily .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. smy1305

smy1305 Premiership Player

Gold Coast
    Morningside coach a very good coach imo.

Denchy likes this.
  3. Mudsticks

Mudsticks Senior List

Collingwood
    Very very good coach

4. Dezario

Dezario Team Captain

Geelong
    A lot smarter than BA and co

5. Fleet footed

Fleet footed Debutant

Essendon
    Interesting that last week when they lost to surfers no one was saying that. They beat Broadbeach and he is a great coach. Does that mean you don't rate surfers?

What makes a very very good coach in your eyes?

6. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Wow, Magpies knocked off MT.Gravatt today .
    A blessing for Broady to retain 2nd spot on the ladder , and continues to create a battle for the final 3 spots on the ladder ... great competition this year.

7. Thommo 42

Thommo 42 Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    not sure how its a surprise?

5 point loss in Round 1 away from home, home today and 5 or 6 players that were missing in round 1 (and again recently) were back in the side.

8. smy1305

Gold Coast
    No judgement on BA or the Broady group at all - pretty sure they do a good job too. All I'm saying is that I think Steve is a very very good coach, and I think the Surfers coach (who I don't know at all) must be doing a really good job.
    In a nutshell I think a good coach gets the absolute best out of their group, not about compiling one with $$, plus communicates well with their players as well as understands that he/she are coaching more than just the squad of 30 that might play senior footy that year.

I've said it before to one other poster on here who was bemoaning the state of QAFL footy - from what I hear / see / know think that the coaching in particular is of a very good quality in this league from top to bottom. Steve W imo has a ripping background and I've seen him coach and know him and think he would be the sort of guy I would love to have my own kid play under (which I think is a pretty fair bench mark).

9. Fleet footed

Fleet footed Debutant

Essendon
    Yeah fair points you make I think. Just interesting the timing that is all I thought. I believe the surfers coach is doing a great job. It would be a tough gig coaching a team at this level

10. FAN THE MAN

FAN THE MAN Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Giving his team plenty of 'nourishment' - :rolleyes::think::poo:

Thommo 42 likes this.
  11. Tiger2000

Tiger2000 Rookie

Richmond
    Well done to the Western Magpies for putting on a great NAIDOC match day on Sunday. A real community event with one of the largest crowds seen at Chelmer for some time. Loved the indigenous design guernseys too!

YOULL DO ME and smy1305 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. smy1305

Gold Coast
    I agree FF re the Surfers coach. My comment was directed at the fact that the Siders knocking over Broadbeach was a damn good effort from what i could tell.
    I think you are right, coaching a team at this level would be tough. Is really a balance bn understanding blokes aren't getting paid enough $$ to make too many unrealistic demands and most aren't playing to "get somewhere else" or they would be playing NEAFL. At the same time it is a good enough level of footy to have to be able to demand some sacrifices from the group as well and there will be some younger blokes who you are looking to develop to get to the next level. Throw in the mix the unsettling affect having NEAFL guys coming in and out each week and I think it would be a frustrating task at times and a lot of man management!
    Like any coaching its about getting the best out of the group you have at disposal and creating an environment that ensures people want to stay / come to your footy club. Its a tough gig for sure. Again, from what I know / can see I think the QAFL is very fortunate to have a large selection of good coaches in charge right now - it means that the one and most important position that can influence footy positively in a footy club is in good hands.

13. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Is that a cryptic comment? Are you saying he is pretty vicious in his criticism of them??

14. FAN THE MAN

FAN THE MAN Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Not at all, have just noted Steve uses that term regularly and I find it amusing. The term itself is a bit cryptic and weird.

How about 'reward for effort' or are we replacing old cliches with new ones? :think:

15. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Haha. Fair enough. I quite like the term.

16. 2010premier

2010premier All Australian

Brisbane Lions
    Bolton and Fagan like nourishment too.

On the coach debate, on the whole I agree we are pretty well served at QAFL level.

On sat I don’t blame BA for our guys missing targets and falling off tackles- and plenty of our guys are having great seasons overall so I’m pretty comfortable with the job he is doing.

But credit to the Morningside coach for identifying our strengths and putting plans in place that put us off our game.

smy1305 likes this.
  17. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Agree with you about the quality of coaches in the comp. A tough gig with all the variances involved especially with Neafl clubs taking and dropping players to QAFL clubs andas for Broady, we bring in a young Suns Academy player who is all but 17 and totally not up to QAFL senior level........ we would of been better off playing a guy that has been playing well in the ressies ,,,eg Brennan ,,,,or Sorrenson, who was dropped after a few senior games !!!!

smy1305 likes this.
  18. Gazzaa

Gazzaa Rookie

Gold Coast
    Stuyd1 Broadbeach not outcoached pal - as premier2010 said the players weren’t there to play. Too many people played bad games.

QAFL coaching is a great standard. I’m sure most coaches get paid well but I believe Brett Andrews and all of his football department at cats are volunteers

Is this at any other clubs?

19. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Gazza,
    get it right ... I said Broady didnt turn up to play.....and We were outcoached, very much so with the plans and game moves put into place by the Panthers.

20. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Gee whiz, coaching for zero. I would think this is very unlikely. If true then good luck to him. Would imagine most would get bn $6-10k dependin on level ofexperience.

21. Upandabout23

Upandabout23 Draftee

Melbourne
    Lol

22. stuyd1

stuyd1 Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Broadbeach coaching hierachy are doing the job with no coaching payments.......... this is true !!!!

Gazzaa likes this.
  23. Gazzaa

Gazzaa Rookie

Gold Coast
    Incredible effort!

24. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Yeah that is Gazzaa. Hats off to BA and co.

25. ablett

ablett Premiership Player

Fremantle
    You know what they say about paying peanuts you get...........

Mudsticks likes this.