QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I just read on fox sports the afl is serious about bringing back the reserve grade comp for 2019. Does this kill the neafl and leave 3 big clubs without a comp to play in ?

I just read on fox sports the afl is serious about bringing back the reserve grade comp for 2019. Does this kill the neafl and leave 3 big clubs without a comp to play in ?

Obviously they come back to the QAFL with NT Thunder probably also. Totally ruin the comp: Aspley v Sandgate or Southport v Surfers wow

I wonder if the proposed $65-$70 k salary cap would still apply? Like to see the NEAFL clubs manage that!!

Obviously they come back to the QAFL with NT Thunder probably also. Totally ruin the comp: Aspley v Sandgate or Southport v Surfers wow

I wonder if the proposed $65-$70 k salary cap would still apply? Like to see the NEAFL clubs manage that!!

Sandgate, Surfers and probably Broady/Magpies would make way.

Surfers and Sandgate drop down a division , Southport , Aspley and Redlands into QAFL making it 10 Teams again and no bye, good scenario I reckon.
I’m sure same would happen at Aspley , but the Gold Coast club players aligned to Southport would most likely go back to home club permantly which would strengthen their club and a lot of Southport southern recruits wouldn’t be attracted as much if they weren’t allowed to spend as much due to a salary cap so Southport may not be as dominant as first thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think there may be a line of thought that with AFL aligned clubs leaving the VFL competition it will mean a readjustment of that competition. So balance of NEAFL Clubs may be asked to play in a new VFL or old VFA style competition.

I know that is one of ideas being floated as I have a mate that is involved at Williamstown.

Think there may be a line of thought that with AFL aligned clubs leaving the VFL competition it will mean a readjustment of that competition. So balance of NEAFL Clubs may be asked to play in a new VFL or old VFA style competition.

I know that is one of ideas being floated as I have a mate that is involved at Williamstown.
what benefit to anyone is redland, aspley and southport playing against williamstown

what benefit to anyone is redland, aspley and southport playing against williamstown

Would benefit the Qld teams because it gives recruiters a god look at blokes vs VFL quality. For the VFL teams nil advantage - these guys are already listed players

Would benefit the Qld teams because it gives recruiters a god look at blokes vs VFL quality. For the VFL teams nil advantage - these guys are already listed players
I would love to see Richmond's VFL team play Southport or Redland. We saw last season what Sydney did week in week out. Sending Southport Redland Aspley down to take on the AFL teams' 2nds would result in 100+ demoralising defeats every week. Cant believe Sydney have stuck witth it.

Swings and roundabouts, AFL 2's teams fluctuate wildly in quality depending on their injury list at a Senior level

Every injured player at senior level means a 2's player goes to the AFL. Every 2's player laying at AFL level is replaced by a top up player, and top up players in the NEAFL has been done poorly for years. Mostly 18-20 year old ids that are barely good enough to play senior QAFL football are playing as top ups for AFL aligned NEAFL sides.

So you replace an AFL listed player with a 19 year old QAFL reserves player that met his teammates that morning, and the result shouldn't be surprising

Swings and roundabouts, AFL 2's teams fluctuate wildly in quality depending on their injury list at a Senior level

Every injured player at senior level means a 2's player goes to the AFL. Every 2's player laying at AFL level is replaced by a top up player, and top up players in the NEAFL has been done poorly for years. Mostly 18-20 year old ids that are barely good enough to play senior QAFL football are playing as top ups for AFL aligned NEAFL sides.

So you replace an AFL listed player with a 19 year old QAFL reserves player that met his teammates that morning, and the result shouldn't be surprising

Agreed - too much airtime for this topic considering most of us have expressed views around the NEAFL being irrelevant.
GWS were mostly flogged by all last year and Suns not long ago as well and Brisbane before that. And it wasn't that long ago that Southport and Aspley both beat Brisbane in one season when they had 17 listed players.

More importantly - any results known from the weekend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back