QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Toucan Soup

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you're attending the Grand Final at Yeronga this Saturday, why not drop into the Q150 History tent to say G'day. We would love to let you know more about what is happening with the soon-to-be-launched 900+ page history book, "More Of The Kangaroo: 150 Years of Australian Football in Queensland -1866 to 2016".
We will be located just inside the Cansdale Street entrance.
Good luck to all teams involved. Enjoy.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well the Grand Final day is nearly here .....both the reserve grade and 1st grade games look like its any teams game to win .
The seniors ,, wow ,, what a team list on paper have Palmy ,,, such a strong side . In saying that , my Broady have their strongest side this year ...
Hopefully we can knock Palmy off ......

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Broadbeach can apply even half the pressure and against Palm Beach that Pies did tonight against Richmond the they are a big chance.
Need to start well and stop Jack Anthony getting up n about early.

Anything is possible.

Here’s to a ripping game!

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting article I read today about Broady and what changed their momentum. All their footy department giving up their wages.

Am I missing something, do any other QAFL Clubs pay anyone in their footy department other than the Senior Coach??

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting article I read today about Broady and what changed their momentum. All their footy department giving up their wages.

Am I missing something, do any other QAFL Clubs pay anyone in their footy department other than the Senior Coach??

Yeah Thommo the article lead one to believe that the cats have had an army of paid staff who turned volunteer to attempt to attract players. Not true.

We have traditionally paid our senior coach reasonably and assistant coaches a token amount. The footy department people have always been volunteer except back in the days when the league provided a development manager. All coaches have been volunteer once we dropped out of NEAFL, and they have done a terrific job.

The point about professionalism is spot on, after dropping out of NEAFL we needed to relax the professionalism given the comp and heavily reduced budget, but in hindsight we perhaps went too far.

The footy dept recognised this as noted in the article and players like Evan Panozza and boosting the coaching support around BA have been instrumental in driving standards and made us a better footy club.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well there you go .. Palmy win the flag which was predicted at the start of the season . They are just a side with a list of very good players, well drilled with very high skills especially in their disposal of the ball and Jack Anthony is a elite player at this level. They get numbers to the ball so well and are very well coached.
Broadbeach did a great job but just not up to the class of Palmys deep list of quality players.
Broadbeach had a great win in the reserves which is good for the club. One particular player be it Irwin won the BOG medal , he was being dropped from the senior side for O Shea who played in Southports premiership last weekend , and because he was eilgible came into our side today and didnt perform for us at all today ... We would of been much better off to have retained Irwin in the senior side today imo.
Crowd of apprx 2000....not to bad I guess considering Broady and Palmy participated in all grades and the only other club particpating was the Magpies in the colts.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Congrats to Palmy too strong in the end and the best side all season deserved premier. Anthony was unstoppable and clearly best afield. Disappointing crowd pretty much zero neutrals. 1500 at best and making everyone travel up the M1 is madness

And it doesn’t matter now Stuyd with selection but mcguane came in for Irwin. O’Shea came in for a small.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course and no doubt a few of our guys that went in under injury clouds didn’t perform to their best.

But after a long season and tough finals series some 6-8 guys were sore and some managed to play well and some didn’t, and as the game went on , the week off to freshen up clearly assisted palmy.

Overall though, no shame in making a GF and pleased for the reserves.

And heard that lab have appointed their coach for next season.

Super Paradise

Debutant
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Congrats to Palmy too strong in the end and the best side all season deserved premier. Anthony was unstoppable and clearly best afield. Disappointing crowd pretty much zero neutrals. 1500 at best and making everyone travel up the M1 is madness

And it doesn’t matter now Stuyd with selection but mcguane came in for Irwin. O’Shea came in for a small.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course and no doubt a few of our guys that went in under injury clouds didn’t perform to their best.

But after a long season and tough finals series some 6-8 guys were sore and some managed to play well and some didn’t, and as the game went on , the week off to freshen up clearly assisted palmy.

Overall though, no shame in making a GF and pleased for the reserves.

And heard that lab have appointed their coach for next season.

Can be excused for playing a couple of underdone players I think - Still had a couple of quality players out - when you lose you always look a bit silly but its not as though you hadn't beaten them recently.

Expected more speed and quick ball movement to be honest. Young "Ace" was clearly your best in the first half, but you kept kicking it back to the PBC numbers through the middle and half forward. Palmy got more numbers to the ball the more the game went on. Burge, Anthony and Woolley way too good.
Also needed to convert in front of goal during second qtr.
Still a great effort by Broady.

So who did Lab appoint?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Can be excused for playing a couple of underdone players I think - Still had a couple of quality players out - when you lose you always look a bit silly but its not as though you hadn't beaten them recently.

Expected more speed and quick ball movement to be honest. Young "Ace" was clearly your best in the first half, but you kept kicking it back to the PBC numbers through the middle and half forward. Palmy got more numbers to the ball the more the game went on. Burge, Anthony and Woolley way too good.
Also needed to convert in front of goal during second qtr.
Still a great effort by Broady.

So who did Lab appoint?

Liam Burke - ex player at Casey Scorpions & Lab for 5 years. Coached colts at Labrador for 2 years and then went home and coached Upwey Tecoma seniors for 2 years. Well respected player and coach. Teacher by profession.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Must give a huge credit to the Gold Coast Bulletin and its QAFL reporter/writer be it Tom Boswell . Ive lived up here for some 14 years now after moving from my born and bred town of Albury where aussie rules footy is a way of life.
After the prelim final, this reporter presented articles on the upcoming grand final every day and im talking full page articles including... colour pics of players etc . Then in Saturdays edition it was a 2 page spread on the grand final including comments on the reserve and colts games .
In mondays paper it was another 2 page review spread on the results of the games with a cartoon style lift out of Palm Beach Premiers .
Then today, he has done a report card on the 4 Gold coast clubs season .
Wow, ive never seen this amount of qafl exposure in the media here ... great promotion of the competition by this guy ,,, Tom Boswell .. take a bow .

Gazzaa

Debutant
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seriously s**t umpiring in Saturday and ruined what was a great game. I have watched a lot of QAfl this season and I am sick to death of umpires. Want to know why so many coaches and volunteers are walking away... because of the disgraceful umpiring and organisation of the qafl.

any thoughts on this but people have had enough

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Umpire bashing doesn’t achieve anything. Hard enough to get umps as it is. Everyone gets frustrated when they perceive they are on the wrong end but I’m of the view umpires do their best and more often than not do a reasonable job. It’s a bloody tough sport to adjudicate.

That said I felt the cats missed out on a few particularly in the first half in the GF, but this did not affect the outcome of the match, PBC better end of story.

And agree the GC Bulletin’s coverage of QAFL in the past 2 weeks has been first class. Hats off to them. Daily articles.

Seems a good coaching appointment by Lab and interesting to see what happens with the grand finalists coaching.

It’s a tough job at this level, the standard is high enough to require a big time commitment but not high enough for coaches to get paid reasonably given the hours they put in. Understandable if BA and Owens to consider their futures.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Grand final free kick stats ;
1st quarter ; pbc 8 and Cats 2
2nd ; pbc 4 and cats 2
3rd ; pbc 8 and cats 1
4th ; pbc 2 and cats 4
Total ; PBC 22 TO CATS 9 .
Wow ,, thats a big difference ..

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
they are pretty funny commentators. If you just listen with an open mind and don't expect expert opinion and profressional broadcast quality - they are great. they probably reflect the standard of footy.

Comedic value and if you don't want to listen, just mute it and watch the feed silent.

Gazzaa

Debutant
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did anyone else find the commentary a bit over the top? I'm not trying to bash the commentators because the play by play stuff and the crosses to the bloke doing the boundary line was great but it seemed like were trying to channel their inner Brian "BT" Taylor, everytime something of important happened especially when a scuffle broke out.

Yes commentary has been biased and shocking all season. That loud mouth commentator has no idea and is always calling the wrong names etc.

Your right does reflect the standard of the league ha ha

Gazzaa

Debutant
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Grand final free kick stats ;
1st quarter ; pbc 8 and Cats 2
2nd ; pbc 4 and cats 2
3rd ; pbc 8 and cats 1
4th ; pbc 2 and cats 4
Total ; PBC 22 TO CATS 9 .
Wow ,, thats a big difference ..

Yes stuyd1 pbc scored most of their 1st quarter goals from free kicks

Dezario

All Australian
Dec 14, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes stuyd1 pbc scored most of their 1st quarter goals from free kicks

The free kick count may have been lopsided but the majority of them were there. I thought the umpires were quite good. But then again I am a palmy man

Also first quarter goals
- 2.05. John Anthony mark and goal
- 11:29. Yak Douglas mark and goal
- 25.40 Tom Thynne Mark and goal
- 29.20 Caleb graham Mark and goal

No goals from free kicks. If you can’t admit palmy were the better side blaming umps doesn’t really cut it.

In saying that don’t think they have ever been consistent in this league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back