QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Glass houses and all that but really should Sandgate be in the premier all QLD comp?

Can’t help but think a team from div 1 may be better equipped
Agree. You could definitely make a case for Burleigh (changerooms need an upgrade). Palmy loses out though as the Suns couldnt 'ask' the academy boys to move clubs. Surely there is a club in Brissie also with similar facilities or better, and with good junior numbers feeding the u18s.

Agree. You could definitely make a case for Burleigh (changerooms need an upgrade). Palmy loses out though as the Suns couldnt 'ask' the academy boys to move clubs. Surely there is a club in Brissie also with similar facilities or better, and with good junior numbers feeding the u18s.

It wouldn’t be Burleigh. They came 9th last year and didn’t have a team in colts.

Plus already 4 QAFL clubs on the Gold Coast.

The Sunshine Coast teams dominated div 1 last year which is the difficulty as my understanding is none want to step up. And I understand why, they are having success and the local derbies by all accounts are well attended and helping them stay financial.

Why step up, run into Labrador probably get beaten in front of 1/4 of the crowd due to the distance?

A Mayne or a Moreton bay would be the answer I reckon

Glass houses and all that but really should Sandgate be in the premier all QLD comp?

Can’t help but think a team from div 1 may be better equipped

No changes yet - wait for NEAFL problems to sort out first.
QAFL can barely sustain 4 GC teams imo and Burleigh certainly not the answer.

Mayne have the numbers and the strength to compete in the qafl plus the junior affiliation with Everton. but the facility and ground is pretty poor there that would be the only issue

Not sure I agree with the comment that the grounds and facilities being in poor condition at Mayne.

It wouldn’t be Burleigh. They came 9th last year and didn’t have a team in colts.

Plus already 4 QAFL clubs on the Gold Coast.

The Sunshine Coast teams dominated div 1 last year which is the difficulty as my understanding is none want to step up. And I understand why, they are having success and the local derbies by all accounts are well attended and helping them stay financial.

Why step up, run into Labrador probably get beaten in front of 1/4 of the crowd due to the distance?

A Mayne or a Moreton bay would be the answer I reckon

Mayne’s ground is something you’d expect in Divy 3 so no way for QAFL, Maroochydore ticks a lot of boxes

Bond Uni’s ground isn’t as good as any in Australia and they have new changrerooms nearly completed but don’t have a Colts team which I’m sure they could establish if work in conjunction with Robina and Carrara whose junior season stop at 16’s

If colts is the yardstick then surfers would struggle as well. Only had a side in recent years bc Southport gifted them one.
Colts is difficult. Im not sure the answer is allowing over agers unless special dispensation or terms and from my understanding only a couple of clubs kicked up about it.
In tassie there is no colts comp at all so we aren’t going too bad compared to other states.

Not sure Sandgate deserves a kicking, they battle hard against various odds and a new coach this year may bring a different environment that could propel them forward. Will be a young side anyway.

Bond Uni’s ground isn’t as good as any in Australia and they have new changrerooms nearly completed but don’t have a Colts team which I’m sure they could establish if work in conjunction with Robina and Carrara whose junior season stop at 16’s
But bond are a disgrace on the field in terms of quality

Not sure I agree with the comment that the grounds and facilities being in poor condition at Mayne.

Are you kidding?

Unless Mayne have expanded and reconfigured their ground and built new sheds at Nundah in the last 6 months, the conditions there are very ordinary.

However, did I see some mention of Mayne moving to a new ground next year?

Nothing overly wrong with Mayne's dressing sheds. Lets not get too precious. Their ground is problematic though - especially when we move into the drier months.

If colts is the yardstick then surfers would struggle as well. Only had a side in recent years bc Southport gifted them one.
Colts is difficult. Im not sure the answer is allowing over agers unless special dispensation or terms and from my understanding only a couple of clubs kicked up about it.
In tassie there is no colts comp at all so we aren’t going too bad compared to other states.

Not sure Sandgate deserves a kicking, they battle hard against various odds and a new coach this year may bring a different environment that could propel them forward. Will be a young side anyway.

AFLBJ partly to blame imo.

if they had left the highest level of youth footy at u17, then Colts could be U/19 and you wouldn't be competing with Saturday school sport.

Clubs lose so many kids who are in year 12 because Colts is Saturday footy, not just because they are focusing on year 12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you kidding?

Unless Mayne have expanded and reconfigured their ground and built new sheds at Nundah in the last 6 months, the conditions there are very ordinary.

However, did I see some mention of Mayne moving to a new ground next year?
Mayne has done some major refurb work to the clubhouse (new toilets and change rooms for umps) field over the Summer...I think the deck will be as good as its been ever (not saying its elite but it will be a lot better than previous years) basically the Cricketers had been mowing the grass very low for cricket and it was unable to grow back in winter but from all reports that hasn't happened this year so the field is in pretty good condition recent rain helps too...It basically gets flogged that facility at Everton, AFLQ play a lot of school footy there during the week and the local school uses it quite heavily and puts absolute zilch into the facility...

Had a look at the Western Magpies - Sandgate praccy match yesterday. Maggies too strong even though they played quite a few kids, but must say, Sandgate didn't look too bad at times especially on the rebound. Hopefully they'll be competitive this year.

Bond looking good be very hard to beat.
ABLETT your boys big improvers along with cooly...
PIENATION blockers boys going along nice but still need to improve to match bond/cooly/buffs .
Injuries for all clubs will play a big part ...
not long to go now..

[QUOTiger2000, post: 54756932, member: 176115"]Had a look at the Western Magpies - Sandgate praccy match yesterday. Maggies too strong even though they played quite a few kids, but must say, Sandgate didn't look too bad at times especially on the rebound. Hopefully they'll be competitive this year.[/QUOTE]
After pirates played magpies last week magpies were quietly confident of making top 4 this year...
Got some handy kids and picked up some good players. ..

No offence, Pirate Island - but we would have said nothing of the sort, and certainly wouldn't judge our progress on a pre-season scratchy against a side 2 divisions down.

Saturday was a genuine 4 quarter hitout, and we had 70-80% of the senior side going around, but still some significant players missing. The week before was to blow some cobwebs out and looks at some new faces.

We weren't far off it last year,and hopefully we have been on the positive side of the ledger with some gains offsetting any losses in the recruitment space. Everyone would be expecting finals this year.

No offence, Pirate Island - but we would have said nothing of the sort, and certainly wouldn't judge our progress on a pre-season scratchy against a side 2 divisions down.

Saturday was a genuine 4 quarter hitout, and we had 70-80% of the senior side going around, but still some significant players missing. The week before was to blow some cobwebs out and looks at some new faces.

We weren't far off it last year,and hopefully we have been on the positive side of the ledger with some gains offsetting any losses in the recruitment space. Everyone would be expecting finals this year.
Thommo not having a go at the magpies..
Just saying that people I know involved with the magpies feel they are a top 4 team...
as you said you weren't far off last year and with some good pickups and some good young boys coming through they are hopeful of climbing higher up the ladder...

Had a look at the Western Magpies - Sandgate praccy match yesterday. Maggies too strong even though they played quite a few kids, but must say, Sandgate didn't look too bad at times especially on the rebound. Hopefully they'll be competitive this year.

Sandgate are heading in the right direction. Coach Marsh is a good teacher and will have his group playing a modern accountable style of footy. They have some good young kids who, if they can stay together, will be a real force after à few years. Patience is the key.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back