QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Judge if I was cynical I would consider who runs AFLQ and where he used to play, and his sons currently play, and then wonder who decided grange was the ‘right place’. I would’ve thought Brendale and Burpengary being north side that maybe somewhere closer in or south/east/west might’ve been more appropriate.
BUT I’m not cynical so I trust the decision has been made in the interests of afl in Brisbane.
Space for multiple grounds is an issue everywhere, it’s a good sign of growth in the game.

My ladder FWIW:

Palmy
Labrador
Morningside
Magpies
Broady

Mounties
Surfers
Grange
Sandgate

It’s really throwing darts at this time of year though.

If you’ve been paying attention all of the Lions AFLW “home” games so far, since 2017, have been at Brendale or Burpengary, neither of which are spectator friendly or easy to get to for a lot of supporters.

Care to name the other venues “south/east/west” you think would be more suitable than Grange?

The Lions approached Grange, not vice versa, about hosting a game due to our ground having better elevation for spectators than other venues in Brisbane, and being only 5km from the CBD, but if conspiracy theories involving Dean Warren suit you better go your hardest.

Last edited:
Hey Thommo, I think you’ve answered your own question.😉

You don’t really think that the AFLQ could get s**t like this done quickly and to a high standard, do you?

yeah, probably a silly question.

Geez it would be nice to have two full sized ovals. We actually have one next door with just a single senior and reserves side playing out of it, so one can only hope!

My thoughts on ladder positions for the upcoming season in the QAFL;

Palm Beach
Labrador
Broadbeach
Morningside
Western Magpies

Mt Gravatt
Surfers Paradise
Sandgate
Wilston Grange

Any ideas on favourites for the Grogan?

My thoughts on ladder positions for the upcoming season in the QAFL;

Palm Beach
Labrador
Broadbeach
Morningside
Western Magpies

Mt Gravatt
Surfers Paradise
Sandgate
Wilston Grange

Any ideas on favourites for the Grogan?

Geez, a tad to early on who will win the Grogan ... lol.
A lot of us have predicted the ladder and most of us have left out Surfers from the finals ,,, ummmh ,, could we be wrong

See Surfers have recruited a gun midfielder by the name of Jack Yellard. 23 year old that has won his clubs best and fairest 2 years in a row playing with West Coburg in the powerful Essendon and District comp ... he will be a gun in the QAFL.

Correct me if im wrong, but why would a 2 night a week club waste a night in mid feb, main training night, boxing, when they, imo should be working on their skills on the paddock, especially considering poor recent performances #gorillas

It’s not as powerful as it use to. It has been dominated by 1 club really lately and west coburg have finished last and second last in the last 2 seasons

Damo ,,
The comp is still of a strong standard in surburban Melbourne and this guy is a gun in a team as you said have been cellar dwellars for the past 3 years. He will be a gun in QAFL for Surfers .

Correct me if im wrong, but why would a 2 night a week club waste a night in mid feb, main training night, boxing, when they, imo should be working on their skills on the paddock, especially considering poor recent performances #gorillas

may not have access to their ground, like 2 other QAFL clubs currently.

may not have access to their ground, like 2 other QAFL clubs currently.

Correct (for 3 more days).

Plus, Grange are coming off a 3 day training camp at Bribie last weekend which was pretty intense, hence a lighter week than usual before cranking things up next week when they return to Hickey Park full-time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done a bit, was unaware the ground was not available and a boxing session in lieu of a football session if adequate space not available is as good as anything. I trust your highly involved, if not coaching them, Gorillas are due to deliver, good luck champ
So you spoke s**t without knowing any facts? Nice work dickhead

So you spoke s**t without knowing any facts? Nice work dickhead
Now now settle down, too many Sunday beers by the sounds of it! If your capable of reading I did preface it with 'correct me if im wrong'. Youve made a great impression in your 1st 2 posts, youve already 'champed' me and called me a dickhead, be careful you dont use all your best work early, its a long season on the forum!

Took my neice and her friend out to Hickey Park yesterday arvo for the AFLW.

Whilst I didn't particularly enjoy the footy being played, it was a fantastic atmosphere and the Gorillas should be very proud of what they had on display from a facilities perspective.

No doubt they had plenty of help, but the playing surface looked magnificent - the availability of food and booze was acceptable (though pricey, felt like I was at the Gabba!), the general feel of the place was fantastic and its a great place to watch footy.

Their new clubhouse and seating area will make it the best facility in the QAFL to be watching footy I would think, with permanent tiered seating etc.

Obviously sacrificed access to their ground for a while etc to be able to put on such an event, but would think the long term payoff is huge.

Would think they essentially got the best surface going around without having to put up any $$ themselves, and probably profited a tidy 5 figure sum from the day itself, probably over $20k at least.

Judge, are you at liberty to share the sort of funds that came from council/AFL to get the field in that shape?

~$80k thereabouts?

I'm just interested due to the result we have at ours after $150k expenditure.

Judge, are you at liberty to share the sort of funds that came from council/AFL to get the field in that shape?

~$80k thereabouts?

I'm just interested due to the result we have at ours after $150k expenditure.

It wasn't our money so can't be sure, but that $80k estimate might be around that mark, including water and lots of sand to level the ground out initially.

The surface looked amazing yesterday, but let's see how it's going by August after myriad training sessions and junior/senior games before we get too excited.

Does anybody know how any of the central Brisbane teams are traveling this year so far? E.G Mt Gravatt, Morningside, Grange, Sherwood? - New players? Coaches?

Does anybody know how any of the central Brisbane teams are traveling this year so far? E.G Mt Gravatt, Morningside, Grange, Sherwood? - New players? Coaches?

Mt Gravatt have added a playing coach in Boon and recruited a good player in Blood from Broadbeach - other than that, seem pretty silent - but i've heard they are aggressively recruiting top enders from Div 1 and 2, not sure if successful or not.

Morningside have a new coach from Redland and he brought plenty over with him, some ex Morningside returning home and others like ex St Kilda player Brad Howard - would think they could be pushing it to stay under points tally given recruited NEAFL blokes not aligned to them.

Sherwood have added Claye Beams and Jack Goodall, though they've had Goodall playing regularly for them last few years. Lost De Winter and Corrie. Otherwise, seem to have stayed pretty silent on announcing recruits. Another club that may struggle with the points system, given they have 2 AFL retirees on their list.

Grange - who knows? they recruited heavily last off-season and it didn't work out. Most of the news coming out of there has been relating to facilities and hosting an AFLW game, which has all been good news. They have a new coach, a surprise appointment in my view - but will wait and see! Seem to be building a solid junior base by targeting rep players as young as u14s and getting them over. Good long term strategy.

Mt Gravatt have added a playing coach in Boon and recruited a good player in Blood from Broadbeach - other than that, seem pretty silent - but i've heard they are aggressively recruiting top enders from Div 1 and 2, not sure if successful or not.

Morningside have a new coach from Redland and he brought plenty over with him, some ex Morningside returning home and others like ex St Kilda player Brad Howard - would think they could be pushing it to stay under points tally given recruited NEAFL blokes not aligned to them.

Sherwood have added Claye Beams and Jack Goodall, though they've had Goodall playing regularly for them last few years. Lost De Winter and Corrie. Otherwise, seem to have stayed pretty silent on announcing recruits. Another club that may struggle with the points system, given they have 2 AFL retirees on their list.

Grange - who knows? they recruited heavily last off-season and it didn't work out. Most of the news coming out of there has been relating to facilities and hosting an AFLW game, which has all been good news. They have a new coach, a surprise appointment in my view - but will wait and see! Seem to be building a solid junior base by targeting rep players as young as u14s and getting them over. Good long term strategy.

Any current players on those 4 team lists that you think should be set to improve this year? Up and coming players who have now played a few years and should stand out a bit?
Open question to anyone who wants to chime in..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back