QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at Springwood watching Sandgate v broady yesterday and after a tight first 1/4 the cats got on top and in the end won by around 10 goals.

Not sure if the hawks had a few out but a bit worryingly they were very weak in the 2’s yesterday. About 25 goals to 2 in a shortened match.

If the hawks get a few injuries could be a long year.

Broadbeach looked ok but a fair bit of improvement needed to get near the top sides.

Ok fellow posters,,, the new season has arrived . Without really knowing what clubs have gained players and lost players I invite you to put your tips in ..here are my tips
Broadbeach
Mt Gravatt
Labrador
Grange

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you say they are chasing glory? They won it last year.

What are the off field issues that occurred that were mentioned here?

Anthony was signed to a club in rural victoria and ended up in a huge booze fuelled blue in that particular town, thus the club evicted him.
As of Grayson,, well I decline to comment on what I know ,, but to give you a example,one of the clubs he played for , Southport rejected having him return and Wodonga Raiders the same , due to his termination there half way thru the season .

What happened to the so called points system ! What a farce ! You then reward this club with the Minidraft !

Half their side are palmy juniors so only 1 point. Couple of others like Emblem and Woolley only 1 point also as they have been at the club for 5+ years.

I still don’t know how they police the system though ?

Any predictions for ladders / grogan

Mine

PBC - ridiculously strong on paper would challenge Redland in the Neafl I reckon
Cats - picked up a few looking ok hopefully
Lab - will be thereabouts but a question of legspeed in my opinion
MT Gravatt- very impressive in the preseason and could finish higher
West maggies - Harwood and a couple of others a big improver

———————

Grange- will improve but coming from a way back
Morningside- saw them today could use an injection of youth
Surfers- could be a surprise packet. Still young but will win a few
Sandgate - 0-16 a real possibility IMO

Tips for Grogan : Clarke from Lab, Harwood West Maggies, Neal Cats and burge

Interesting game today, surfers paradise looked like they have improved a lot. Looked better with the ball and ran harder. Big #21 gave them a good target up forward and their stalls looked dangerous. It was a great win

Interesting results so far in round 1 .... Mt Gravatt just getting over the Magpies, Surfers downing Labrador, and Broadbeach by 6 goals over Morningside. Watched the Broady game and it was a dour struggle up until the 20 minute mark of the third quarter where Broady then took over.
Broady have a very good list and some 5 regular senior players from 2017 where in the ressies side, thus good depth is apparent.
Dont discard Morningside either ,, they were more then competitive for 80% of the game.

Broady had something like 8 or 9 NEAFL listed players having a run. How does that happen?

Surfers looked great with their fresh recruits, and massive thumbs up to AFLQ who get alot wrong, but the live streaming is awesome!

Mt Gravatt vs Magpies was an absolute belter of a game, the Magpies will rue that dominant last quarter, especially the 50m penalty to Bain after the protected area rule had been ignored for the majority of the day!

Having said that, Mounties should have put them away in the 3rd, equally as wasteful as the Maggies were in the last.

Interesting results so far in round 1 .... Mt Gravatt just getting over the Magpies, Surfers downing Labrador, and Broadbeach by 6 goals over Morningside. Watched the Broady game and it was a dour struggle up until the 20 minute mark of the third quarter where Broady then took over. Broady have a very good list and some 5 regular senior players from 2017 where in the ressies side, thus good depth is apparent.
Dont discard Morningside either ,, they were more then competitive for 80% of the game.

Just need Sandgate to get over Grange to make my tips 0/4! Early days obviously, but good to see some upsets (if not upsets, interesting results to say the least). A more even comp this year?
The Vultures didn't look too bad at all given they didn't recruit heavily in the off season against the Magpies who went the other way (watched the live stream). Makes you wonder about the Magpies' claims of great depth this year given their reserves copped a flogging prior to the seniors going down. Early days, but on paper both of those results were surprising.

Did the Magpies recruit that hard? From what I saw, only new faces were Harwood and Adkins. Harwood solid, but unspectacular given his pedigree. Adkins competitive, but well beaten by his opposite number.

Both teams had some 'big ins' - but looks like only the Magpies decided to publicise theirs. Had to laugh at the Reserves result though, I didn't see the game - but same as you, heard all sorts of stuff about the Magpies new found depth, and they got pumped without firing a shot! Same old same old.

Great result for Surfers, and I'm really looking forward to the Anzac game on Tue night!

Could be a really really even season (apart from maybe Palmy if they really have added two more expensive deadshits who can play footy)

So is the Live stream a good idea or not?

If it prevents people needing/wanting to attend the game in person cos they can now sit home and watch it, this will effect the Clubs revenue from gate takings, food and beverage sales.

Even a loyal supporter of a Gold Coast club can now ponder.
why would I travel to Sandgate , incur a toll fee plus petrol expense, when I can sit home and watch it?
Which effects Sandgates home game revenue potential if less away supports attend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back