Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, you cant argue an injury occurred without medical evidence but he Jewel was definitely concussed whether he was diagnosed or not, just think it’s sad knowing he was KO’d yet trying to get Burge off on a technicality based on there wasn’t a concussion report submitted to the tribunal.
Poor form really and I bet you wouldn’t like it if shoe was on other foot

Finally we agree on something.

But Burge did not get off on a technicality, he was found not guilty due the fact he had no other course of action to take than brace to protect himself.

And don't go there with the shoe on the other foot. Palmy have had broken spines from tunnelling with minimal penalty and fractured eye sockets and permanent loss of vision from head over the ball bumps without penalty. Palmy has had people being karate kicked and king hit. So yeah Palmy has been on the other side plenty of times. You might realise Palmy gets targeted by the opposition fairly regularly

Comparing Haberfield with Burge, two totally different incidents
Agree they are two completely seperate incidents. Cant be compared in their actions. Only in the disproportionate responses to each

1. Burge is involved in incidental contact due to a player cannonning into him and is expected to cop 3 weeks for something that is not his fault and he had no intention to do anything other than instinctively protect himself. All because there is an injury to the other player which isn't even diagnosed. (this opinion is endorsed by a tribunal hearing also)

2. Haberfield lines up Mallan from 5 metres away, go get the still photo and look at how he prepares to bump and see where his eyes are looking. He deliberately shirtfronts Mallan, but gets his charge rated as careless not intentional, and gets watered down to a reprimand because essentially the bloke he hits is hard as nails.

You tell me whats fair?

Time to let it go - he was concussed end of story.
It is grubby this whole affair and AFLq are as bad as the ignorance from PBC
Haberfield was never in danger - I hope Burge plays but really - let’s move on
You have made your points on here and people don’t all agree

Of course it is time to let it go. It's all your way.

If you be truthful, Haberfield is extremely lucky. Good luck to him, he can run out and have another go at it this week if he likes

And why is it a grubby affair? Because Surfers couldn't accept the tribunal decision, which was held correctly and they ruled there is no case to answer.

At the moment Jason will be there, unless the tribunal is deemed to be a bunch of complete morons who couldn't interpret the evidence presented. Which I have clearly stated what that was.

It's fine anyway, keep throwing fuel on the Palmy fire

LionsPBC dishing out a lesson here.

Surely everyone understands the tribunal doesn't deal in opinions or hearsay - just clear and concise facts relating to the case at hand and the rules as they are written.

We took a case to the tribunal last year when a player was offered 2 weeks down to 1. (thanks Labrador for specifically requesting it be looked at...)

We used a solicitor who plays Reserves and sits on the board. He didn't have a good understanding of how the tribunal operates, and made some pretty clear errors and the player in question ended up getting 3 weeks (after being offered 2 down to 1) - which was a horrendous result, as its well documented we missed finals with a % of 140 and 10 wins and some close losses without that particular player could well have been different. We thought it was fair accompli he would get off given the incredibly minor nature of the incident, but went in with emotional arguments and didn't deal with the incident within the boundaries of what the tribunal looks at.

As a result, I did a fair bit of research and reading on about how the tribunal works and we got schooled plain and simple. I also sought AFLQ's advice on how to deal with the tribunal and it was honest, forthright, clear and offered voluntarily without agenda. I'd recommend any footy manager or responsible person at a QAFL club educate themselves in this area, as it can prove to be crucial knowledge and AFLQ won't help when the case is already open, by then the horse has bolted.

Sounds like PBC are well versed on how it works, and you can't just emotionally walk in there and say someone was concussed, you need to have had the trainer/physio/doctor have done a proper sideline concussion test and have it documented (you are surely doing this already anyway?) and then submit that documentation.

If that wasn't done, then the player needs to see a medically qualified doctor prior to the hearing, get a proper diagnosis and have that submitted.

It's really not that hard to understand is it? The independent tribunal can't sit there and listen to water carriers and emotional parents giving out amateur medical opinions, they can only deal in clear an concise facts.

I'd personally like to take a look at both incidents just for my own interest, can someone tell me the time and quarter of each of them?

Finally some sense. Thanks Thommo

Palmy too have used advocates/lawyers who were not highly schooled in the AFL/AFLQ procedures. The way it runs in court is not the same as a tribunal and they often utensil things up and you end up with some horrendous results. You need people who know the rules and how they work, or else I guarantee you will get taken for a ride.

You can see the Jason Burge incident in the opening few seconds of the Match against Surfers at Salk Oval a week ago

The Haberfield incident is about 4 mins into the second quarter of this weeks match

However its been amateur hour from the league. The league tells its clubs that MRP provides it ruling from a matrix (which we are meant to have faith has been fairly & consistently considered by impartial administrators) but if you like you can take your chances at the 'Independent' tribunal (and most of us would with a GF at stake) but expect extra penalties if you don't make your case. In this case the tribunal says no case to answer and PBC are justified in their cause of action. Then the league appeals the decision of the Independent tribunal. This is the same tribunal that the administration says the clubs can go to for consideration if they feel the MRP has got it wrong. The lawyers in the house may say its all good but that doesn't instill much confidence in me.

Only just saw this from earlier. This is the essence of where I'm coming from

Wow, watched them both.

Can't believe we've had 3 pages of discussion about 2 incidents that don't deserve even mention. Burge was stationary and a guy ran into him at an awkward angle, play on.

Haberfields was an absolute ripper of a shirt front, also play on.

Fair opinion. The Haberfield one like most other is able to be argued in a couple of ways against the matrix. Do I think that was careless rather than intentional. Absolutely not. But it matters not for the MRP make the determination, they offer the penalty to Surfers and they accept it. Case closed. No other club has the right to challenge this and neither should they. It would become untenable.

Burge is different in that the MRP makes the determination. Player and club are unwilling to accept the set penalty as handed out with the decision (as is their right) and choose to have it heard at the tribunal. Again, all well within their rights to do so. The tribunal should be the the last voice on whether a charge is sustained or not.

If both of these are just play on, then play on. But Palmy are here again and being labelled as the scum of the earth because they choose to defend their players in a manner in which all clubs should and would likely do.

Lrts get back to the grand final guys ... can Surfers beat Palmy ,,, your thoughts ..

Exciting day for both clubs. Either result is amazing effort. Palmy could be the 3 peat which is an extraordinary achievement or Surfers complete a 3 year or so revival with home grown talent to beat off a very good footy side. As I said before Surfers clearly the 2nd best side through the year and deserved Grand Finalists

Both GC rival clubs being repped in both Ressies and Seniors should see a great crowd. The crowd was fantastic at Palmy 2 weeks ago and hopefully there is another decent turnout at Metricon. Although that week last time was the AFL bye so there was no where else to get a footy fix that weekend.

And Palmy in all three grades with a genuine chance at all would be a crazy result.

It will be interesting to see how the main game plays out. Surfers well versed in the larger ground and Palmy will fancy themselves ok on the big deck too. If Anthony is on he will be hard to stop with all that space. Both sides will have plenty of guys who have played there before so I doubt either senior team will be overawed by the venue. Should be a great game

Keen to see how the day is at Metricon, the players are pumped. Speaking to some ressie boys tonight they are excited to get out there on such a premo venue.

I have no issue with palmy defending their players.

Agree stuyd I tip palmy to get it done pretty comfortably but funnier things have happened.

And the crowd on sat id estimate as around 800 to 1000. Solid but no where near the crowd at Salk a week ago. Had a game at sharks and afl competing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exciting day for both clubs. Either result is amazing effort. Palmy could be the 3 peat which is an extraordinary achievement or Surfers complete a 3 year or so revival with home grown talent to beat off a very good footy side. As I said before Surfers clearly the 2nd best side through the year and deserved Grand Finalists

Both GC rival clubs being repped in both Ressies and Seniors should see a great crowd. The crowd was fantastic at Palmy 2 weeks ago and hopefully there is another decent turnout at Metricon. Although that week last time was the AFL bye so there was no where else to get a footy fix that weekend.

And Palmy in all three grades with a genuine chance at all would be a crazy result.

It will be interesting to see how the main game plays out. Surfers well versed in the larger ground and Palmy will fancy themselves ok on the big deck too. If Anthony is on he will be hard to stop with all that space. Both sides will have plenty of guys who have played there before so I doubt either senior team will be overawed by the venue. Should be a great game

Keen to see how the day is at Metricon, the players are pumped. Speaking to some ressie boys tonight they are excited to get out there on such a premo venue.

Agree,, to play on a AFL ground is a great thrill for players ,,, And my congrats to Palm Beach for what they are acheiving in all 3 grades and obviosly the off field management .. thats a huge acheivement over the past 4 years especially ,,, gotta give credit where its due.

Agree stuyd I tip palmy to get it done pretty comfortably but funnier things have happened.

And the crowd on sat id estimate as around 800 to 1000. Solid but no where near the crowd at Salk a week ago. Had a game at sharks and afl competing
Good point Premier. The Lions home final will draw away potential QAFL GF spectators?

Well I think the crowd on grand final day may well be some 2500 or so due to no other afl games going on locally and 2 Gold Coast sides playing.
Will be interesting to see the crowd the next day at the NEAFL Grand final at Southport.

Won

Keen to see how the day is at Metricon, the players are pumped. Speaking to some ressie boys tonight they are excited to get out there on such a pre

Won’t be any afl finals clashing with this game this week. Love to think 5-6000 people which would be 9ne if the bigger crowds at Metricon this year..... 😂

Hopefully it’s not as resounding victory as PBC v SP on this forum just now or PBC might hand out a flogging.....

Haberfields was an absolute ripper of a shirt front, also play on.

Agree. In this outcome based system, if Mallan had gone off or been reported as injured - Haberfield would be screwed.

However, he got up and took the kick and played out the game - so any penalty is inappropriate.

Didn't even think it warranted a free kick, I'd love to know what rule he actually broke for that free kick to be awarded?

Well I think the crowd on grand final day may well be some 2500 or so due to no other afl games going on locally and 2 Gold Coast sides playing.
Will be interesting to see the crowd the next day at the NEAFL Grand final at Southport.

No offence to Palmy or Surfers, but I wouldn't be confident of anyone from Grange hanging around for the main game on Saturday - the day will be long enough as it is.

I'm sure we'd prefer that the Colts GF was being held at Yeronga, but we're obviously used to playing on the GC and the boys are looking forward to having a run on the Metricon surface.

Agree. In this outcome based system, if Mallan had gone off or been reported as injured - Haberfield would be screwed.

However, he got up and took the kick and played out the game - so any penalty is inappropriate.

Didn't even think it warranted a free kick, I'd love to know what rule he actually broke for that free kick to be awarded?

Regardless of the contact, once the umpire deemed it a reportable offence, it gets awarded as a free kick anyway. But the MRP did classify as high contact also

No offence to Palmy or Surfers, but I wouldn't be confident of anyone from Grange hanging around for the main game on Saturday - the day will be long enough as it is.

I'm sure we'd prefer that the Colts GF was being held at Yeronga, but we're obviously used to playing on the GC and the boys are looking forward to having a run on the Metricon surface.

Maybe they should stick around... get a glimpse of what a successful senior team looks like!

Grange knows what a successful senior team looks like, and how far away we are from being one, but we're working on it.

Hopefully we'll be busy celebrating somewhere else anyway, we give our Colts a 50/50 chance.

have heard that the Colts coach is going to move up a couple of grades to oversee the senior group in 2020 Judge?? Any truth to that??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back