Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Grange knows what a successful senior team looks like, and how far away we are from being one, but we're working on it.

Hopefully we'll be busy celebrating somewhere else anyway, we give our Colts a 50/50 chance.

What are you working on exactly?? Seem to have gone no where in last few years??? Thought this year would be different but you just don't seem to have a winning culture???

What are you working on exactly?? Seem to have gone no where in last few years??? Thought this year would be different but you just don't seem to have a winning culture???

I could say "Thanks for that champ", but I'll give you a bit more detail instead.

If a turnaround happens for Grange it won't happen quickly, and as you say the "culture" has to change - it's not like we're not aware of that.

You might say that this year was a false start, but our depth was ordinary to start with and from there pretty much everything which could go wrong did go wrong in terms of injuries, players leaving/retiring mid-season or Grange regulars like Corvo and Lipscombe being taken by Aspley NEAFL.

We didn't have the funds this year to bring new players in anyway (I'd be surprised if our spend on players' wages was any higher than Sandgate's, we only just paid the AFLQ minimum), but it looks like that's about to change as it will have to for us to be competitive in the seniors.

Anyway, we're certainly not worried about or distracted by what outsiders think, we've got a plan, plenty of good people involved off-field and time will tell whether or not it works.

If you want to change the culture, making Moloney a senior coach is a short cut to not doing so.

I'm sure his 'party' style is pretty similar to the out going one.

Get Steve Brittain back!

If you want to change the culture, making Moloney a senior coach is a short cut to not doing so.

Get Steve Brittain back!

Fan, your account is a piss-take, right?

Has to be, no-one else on here has the ability to be invariably wrong about every thing, every time.

If not, it's time to take your afternoon meds.

Get Steve Brittain back!

Bit harsh Fan. Who knows if Brent has mellowed over the last few years? Think you can only judge on what is in front of you, not on past reputation and he has done a good job with the colts group.

Wilston Grange is a well run club with some very good people there. Things happen in a lot of different ways which can be outside your control.

They now have arguably the best facilities in the comp. obviously there has been some funding assistance from various sources. But every club needs grants and significant fundraising to complete infrastructure projects.

Playing depth has been a problem for WG for as long as I can recall. But Im sure they are working hard on that.

Best Juniior club in Brisbane, it will eventually translate.

successive poor coaching appointments is what hurts them at senior level in my view, but I've been wrong once or twice.

Wilston Grange is a well run club with some very good people there. Things happen in a lot of different ways which can be outside your control.

They now have arguably the best facilities in the comp. obviously there has been some funding assistance from various sources. But every club needs grants and significant fundraising to complete infrastructure projects.

Playing depth has been a problem for WG for as long as I can recall. But Im sure they are working hard on that.
Gee LionPBC you seem to be a lot calmer now Burge is playing Saturday.

I agree with your compliments to Wilston Grange workhorses

Also I think with the points system and salary cap in place the turnaround for the lower placed club will take an extra year or two. So get used to the two Grand Finalists being there abouts for the next 2-3 years at least

Hoping for a great game but my tip is palmy by 56 points. They have the greater talent, and surfers have been up for a while and look a bit whacked around to me.

A great achievement by the d’s to make the GF in seniors and reserves no matter what happens they can be proud of their season

Best Juniior club in Brisbane, it will eventually translate.

successive poor coaching appointments is what hurts them at senior level in my view, but I've been wrong once or twice.

Um....no they are not. How many junior division 1 grand finals were they in???? I believe they were only in 1 under 16 div 3 final. They are not even the best junior club on the north side of Brisbane. That would be the Hornets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um....no they are not. How many junior division 1 grand finals were they in???? I believe they were only in 1 under 16 div 3 final. They are not even the best junior club on the north side of Brisbane. That would be the Hornets

Junior footy is not all about Div 1 flags, this is where clubs get it wrong.

Grange would have 2 or 3 teams in each youth age group, a girls team in each age group (sometimes 2) and as many as 4 or 5 teams in each junior age group.

That is what junior success looks like. Participation and growing the game.

Sure, Wests, Hornets and Morningside might win more Div 1 flags - but Grange are the best junior club in my view. I've been critical of their alleged recruiting practices, but they aren't as bad as the other 3 mentioned and through pure numbers alone, getting 3+ teams in all age groups is a huge achivement

I honestly think Palmy will also be far to strong as Surfers looked a bit sluggish last week and the long campaign may be catching up with them.

Palmy by 46 points +
Jess Derricks BOG

Hope Surfers win 2's and get some consolation and Grange in Colts to share the glory around.

Good luck to everyone involved. Everyone has asked for a Coast GF so let's hope it is well attended.

Gee LionPBC you seem to be a lot calmer now Burge is playing Saturday.

One tends to feel calmer when one doesnt feel like their club and player is being bent over.

Palmy action in defending Jason totally justified and the perverse decision to challenge the tribunal decision was kicked to the kerb.

The grounds for the challenge never met the test and hence the appeal panel found that it was entirely reasonable that the tribunal panel made the decision to find Burge not guilty on the original charge.

To that end, although it was a 3 hour hearing, the appeal panel found there was no grounds to hear the appeal and ended the hearing.

The underlying issue though is that it does cost a bit to defend against these charges.

This can be the case in many instances of MRP and tribunal matters. Im not just referring to recent matters.

They don’t always get it right. And so if you don’t defend yourself you are open to being on the end of a bum deal.

It also costs the league, to conduct hearings. So they have incurred significant additional costs here also.

Also I think with the points system and salary cap in place the turnaround for the lower placed club will take an extra year or two. So get used to the two Grand Finalists being there abouts for the next 2-3 years at least

The points system has thrown up some quirky situations particularly around young players moving through Suns and Neafl. And moving to QAFL in order to play at higher level.

In the main, prob works pretty well and will get some tweaks over the offseason you would think.

The underlying issue though is that it does cost a bit to defend against these charges.

This can be the case in many instances of MRP and tribunal matters. Im not just referring to recent matters.

They don’t always get it right. And so if you don’t defend yourself you are open to being on the end of a bum deal.

It also costs the league, to conduct hearings. So they have incurred significant additional costs here also.
I've already provided my personal view on the incident and in the footy world differing opinions will continue and is a fun part of the game.

However I really struggle to see how anyone can have confidence in the system for the next MRP ruling. You couldn't help but wonder what if we take this on.

The points system has thrown up some quirky situations particularly around young players moving through Suns and Neafl. And moving to QAFL in order to play at higher level.

In the main, prob works pretty well and will get some tweaks over the offseason you would think.
Agreed. On the whole I think the premises of the points and cap are reasonable and just a few minor chinks to be ironed out. Surely it's not about preventing stockpiling top end players as opposed to preventing out of favour players seeking opportunity elsewhere.

I'd have to say that PBC's strategy to connect with higher ranking Southport players in Burge, Crowley, Anthony, Troutman & McKenzie was superior to clubs who went with the plan to access the fringe NEAFL players so they could get service from them during that year.

Junior footy is not all about Div 1 flags, this is where clubs get it wrong.

Grange would have 2 or 3 teams in each youth age group, a girls team in each age group (sometimes 2) and as many as 4 or 5 teams in each junior age group.

That is what junior success looks like. Participation and growing the game.

Sure, Wests, Hornets and Morningside might win more Div 1 flags - but Grange are the best junior club in my view. I've been critical of their alleged recruiting practices, but they aren't as bad as the other 3 mentioned and through pure numbers alone, getting 3+ teams in all age groups is a huge achivement

Still not sure about your assertion- Hornets get similar numbers across all age groups. I agree it isn’t about Div 1 flags. I love watching Friday night youth footy at Grange. Not sure about recruiting practices.....Aspley lost some kids this year.

Still not sure about your assertion- Hornets get similar numbers across all age groups. I agree it isn’t about Div 1 flags. I love watching Friday night youth footy at Grange. Not sure about recruiting practices.....Aspley lost some kids this year.
Grange and Aspley are both very good junior clubs. However I note that for the first time there appears to be players leaving both Aspley and Southport junior ranks to follow QAFL pathways as its generally way too big a step from Colts to NEAFL, particularly in a lower Colts standard comp. Sign of the time?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back