QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they do.

Over the last 5 years, by my estimation they would have been finalists in all 3 grades in every single season, usually Top 3-4.

don't think any other club in the QAFL could say the same

Similar numbers for their GF side in 2019 too?

Sorry missed 2019

2016 -10
2017 - 6
2018 - 10
2019 - 10

It should be noted these numbers (across those 4 years) doesnt include long term players like Stephen Thynne (Captain), Jackson Emblem, and Josh Woolley who probably shouldnt be regarded as recruits.

There are some others that now have spent multiple years at the club, so although yes they are recruits they are hardly mercenary types (which is the implication). PBC have also picked up players out of Southport now who have multiple years at the club.

Also, doesnt include juniors who have come via otherclubs like Jacob Dawson, Caleb Graham, Jacob Heron, Dirk Koenen and AJ Dawson

Players that are included in these GF teams that are long term club juniors (not just arrivals at U16 from another club) include Jesse Derrick (multiple club B&F winner), Tom Thynne (multiple club B&F Winner), Tyler Cornish (multiple B&F runner up), Zac Harrison (2020 Club B& F Winner), Max Spencer (2020 Club B&F Runner up), Jed Harrison, Liam McNeven, Brock Askey, Angus Munro (previous Club Captain), Callum McBurnie, Josh Lys, Tyson Dyer, Jake Goody, Curtis Marsden, Dale Neuhaus

It's easy to sitback and take uniformed potshots but the proof is in the pudding. Most of these guys are first choice senior players and would be so at any other QAFL club.

All clubs recruit but developing junior talent must be the go to plan for all QAFL clubs. Other clubs also do this very well and probably dont get the credit either.

The average punter usually knows the junior names from his own club but not the opposition clubs. It's too easy to just assume that clubs are just recruiting top end talent (short term) because the results dont fall your club's way.

Sorry missed 2019

2016 -10
2017 - 6
2018 - 10
2019 - 10

It should be noted these numbers (across those 4 years) doesnt include long term players like Stephen Thynne (Captain), Jackson Emblem, and Josh Woolley who probably shouldnt be regarded as recruits.

There are some others that now have spent multiple years at the club, so although yes they are recruits they are hardly mercenary types (which is the implication). PBC have also picked up players out of Southport now who have multiple years at the club.

Also, doesnt include juniors who have come via otherclubs like Jacob Dawson, Caleb Graham, Jacob Heron, Dirk Koenen and AJ Dawson

Players that are included in these GF teams that are long term club juniors (not just arrivals at U16 from another club) include Jesse Derrick (multiple club B&F winner), Tom Thynne (multiple club B&F Winner), Tyler Cornish (multiple B&F runner up), Zac Harrison (2020 Club B& F Winner), Max Spencer (2020 Club B&F Runner up), Jed Harrison, Liam McNeven, Brock Askey, Angus Munro (previous Club Captain), Callum McBurnie, Josh Lys, Tyson Dyer, Jake Goody, Curtis Marsden, Dale Neuhaus

It's easy to sitback and take uniformed potshots but the proof is in the pudding. Most of these guys are first choice senior players and would be so at any other QAFL club.

All clubs recruit but developing junior talent must be the go to plan for all QAFL clubs. Other clubs also do this very well and probably dont get the credit either.

The average punter usually knows the junior names from his own club but not the opposition clubs. It's too easy to just assume that clubs are just recruiting top end talent (short term) because the results dont fall your club's way.
I'm not even sure why you guys feel you have to defend your club. Every QAFL clubs success is built on the back of your junior base, or local feeder clubs, plus some top up senior recruits. This is fake news folks

Palmy averaged in the 30's for PPV in 2020, I think that says it all doesn't it?

yeah I think that’s the easiest way of working out who is recruiting and who is relying on a junior base.
good to see that lions qualified too that most of the guts were long term juniors not kids parachuted in at U16 level. Mind u those kids don’t become 1 pt players anyway.

Sorry missed 2019

2016 -10
2017 - 6
2018 - 10
2019 - 10

Correct
Maybe someone will push that Ablett off
His lawn mower while doing his brainless
Job

yeah I think that’s the easiest way of working out who is recruiting and who is relying on a junior base.
good to see that lions qualified too that most of the guts were long term juniors not kids parachuted in at U16 level. Mind u those kids don’t become 1 pt players anyway.

I will further qualify and this is an educated guess (because I'm only 99% certain) but of all those longterm juniors I dont think any of those would have played junior footy anywhere else and most of them would have gone through from as early Under 8/10

Correct
Maybe someone will push that Ablett off
His lawn mower while doing his brainless
Job

I have a Gardiner that mows my lawns while Im relaxing on the balcony of my Mansion.

And I bet Jim’s Mowing makes more money than you, although I hear you get paid well to collect samples at the sperm bank via your mouth.
Voted Fluffer of the year 10 years running, congrats !

I will further qualify and this is an educated guess (because I'm only 99% certain) but of all those longterm juniors I dont think any of those would have played junior footy anywhere else and most of them would have gone through from as early Under 8/10
It is an impressive stat although I’m sure some juniors were poached from Burleigh and Cooly over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is an impressive stat although I’m sure some juniors were poached from Burleigh and Cooly over the years.

Realising that are probably just trolling now but I will humour you with a response. At the very least, you will be more informed moving forward.

I wont say it's never happened as I dont know 100%. But I can say that I personally am not aware of any active "poaching" of other clubs juniors. As a club PBC don't need to do this. We usually have strong juniors in most cases and good numbers.

And there's not that many that I can think of that have come over - the Dawsons from Burleigh (already mentioned as GF players), the Crossleys from Burleigh and the Joyce boys from Cooly - I'm sure there might be some others that have come through at juniors but these are the only ones that come to mind immediately that have been at Senior Level over the last few years.

And of those 6 guys, 2 were drafted to Suns and 3 have been GC Academy players - so all looking for higher level of footy

But this is to be expected as Burleigh and Cooly Seniors play at levels below QAFL and some players will always want/need to go through a pathway.

As you should be aware the Academies advise a lot of the kids to move to QAFL clubs to further their development. Is this right or wrong? this is another whole conversation. But it doesn't matter what opinions we have because this is what they do and we have no control over that.

Realising that are probably just trolling now but I will humour you with a response. At the very least, you will be more informed moving forward.

I wont say it's never happened as I dont know 100%. But I can say that I personally am not aware of any active "poaching" of other clubs juniors. As a club PBC don't need to do this. We usually have strong juniors in most cases and good numbers.

And there's not that many that I can think of that have come over - the Dawsons from Burleigh (already mentioned as GF players), the Crossleys from Burleigh and the Joyce boys from Cooly - I'm sure there might be some others that have come through at juniors but these are the only ones that come to mind immediately that have been at Senior Level over the last few years.

And of those 6 guys, 2 were drafted to Suns and 3 have been GC Academy players - so all looking for higher level of footy

But this is to be expected as Burleigh and Cooly Seniors play at levels below QAFL and some players will always want/need to go through a pathway.

As you should be aware the Academies advise a lot of the kids to move to QAFL clubs to further their development. Is this right or wrong? this is another whole conversation. But it doesn't matter what opinions we have because this is what they do and we have no control over that.
This is why lower comps Colts age should always be a year less so when when Burleigh/Cooly Colts etc are too old to play 17’s they then move to QAFL Colts 18’s if they want to play a higher level

I don't understand the obsession with where kids come from.

We have a hub and spoke system. The QAFL club is the centre piece of an area and all the best locals then go there as they develop their footy, usually at around 15-17, sometimes earlier depending on coaching capabilities etc at their home club.

Without the spokes the system doesn't work, and without the hub - it doesn't work either. The issue is that some clubs don't like being the spokes and some of the 'hubs' think their s**t doesn't stink.

Cooly and Burleigh kids that are any good should absolutely go to Palm Beach, why wouldn't they? Coorparoo and Wynnum kids should go to Morningside. Kenmore and Jindalee to Sherwood, Park Ridge and Springwood/Beenliegh kids to Mt Gravatt and so on.

The issue is that some clubs like to attack outside those obvious links and it gets everyone offside, but at the end of the day if you're a gun 15 year old playing state footy and your home club seniors play Div 1, 2 or 3 - then find the nearest QAFL club. If your current club has any genuine interest in your development, they will be pushing you to do so anyway.

This is why lower comps Colts age should always be a year less so when when Burleigh/Cooly Colts etc are too old to play 17’s they then move to QAFL Colts 18’s if they want to play a higher level

The better kids usually miss Colts altogether.. any kid who is even close to being drafted or playing State Level footy would likely be playing Senior Footy at 16-18 years of age. But this is not a terrible suggestion

The issue is that some clubs don't like being the spokes and some of the 'hubs' think their sh*t doesn't stink.

I think you have nailed the issue right here.

Personally, I think way too much weight is put on Junior Club success and it seems to, in many cases driven by parents and coaches need to win rather than the kids

Junior Club success should not be measured in Premierships

Point of order SMY. The kids parachuted in at U16 (i.e. less than 40 junior club games) commence as 2 points no matter where they land but can revert back to one point upon 3rd year of senior footy at for years service.

Personally, I think way too much weight is put on Junior Club success and it seems to, in many cases driven by parents and coaches need to win rather than the kids

I can speak for Thommo here but Sherwoods attempt to create the hub and spoke was well designed through Western Magpies yet despised and worked against by some of the neighbouring clubs some of the time. Hence they're now back at their heritage name.
I wonder if the junior clubs were not called the senior club name if it would make any difference? I.e. along the lines of what Western Magpies had.....although I suppose I answered my own question above

Yes a big problem at most Clubs is too many Glory Coaches at junior level instead of development coaches but most Clubs don’t have the luxury to pick n choose the desired Junior coach due to a small pool of quality junior coaches available.

Doesn’t help when some clubs have junior premiership reunions 😅😅

Yes a big problem at most Clubs is too many Glory Coaches at junior level instead of development coaches but most Clubs don’t have the luxury to pick n choose the desired Junior coach due to a small pool of quality junior coaches available.
Too many junior coaches believe they are good coaches bc they win a premiership. There in lies the issue. Can forward tgat to colts to a lesser degree. Many don’t stop and look at their list to work out how much progressed they are from the rest of the comp.

Too many junior coaches believe they are good coaches bc they win a premiership. There in lies the issue. Can forward tgat to colts to a lesser degree. Many don’t stop and look at their list to work out how much progressed they are from the rest of the comp.
So premierships are easy to win? Back to the peanut gallery champ

So premierships are easy to win? Back to the peanut gallery champ
I didn't read anywhere that SMY said they were easy to win.
However I agree with him that a club can mask its future prospects as being better than it actually is by holding its best players back in U16s and Colts to inflate those teams ladder positions when others support the notion that you're old enough if you're good enough.
The only reason an under-age coach holds a player back from promotion is purely for his own purposes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back