QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

So if Sandgate do leave and it’s back to 9 teams will the league change the salary cap to what is was last year?
The cap was raised this year to take into account the extra 2 games due to Maroochydore joining the Comp.
If so What about the teams that have already spent the maximum based on the extra amount allowed?
I’m sure recruits wouldn’t be happy if they were advised they will be receiving less now
Well that will only affect 3 Gold Coast clubs
Yeah not a bad thing though Akers - they need to be picked up and will make div 1 more competitive.
SMY, life will go on for us all, but I can't see how Sandgate goes to QFA Div1. When it's made official on Tuesday (from the mouths of Sandgate players) some, let's say 10-12, will seek to continue in QAFL wherever that is about the traps so their depleted numbers are diminished further. So Friday nights look like it is. Unbelievable outcome for $1m+ being spent on renovations

Last edited:
Well that will only affect 3 Gold Coast clubs

SMY, life will go on for us all, but I can't see how Sandgate goes to QFA Div1. When it's made official on Tuesday (from the mouths of Sandgate players) some, let's say 10-12, will seek to continue in QAFL wherever that is about the traps so their depleted numbers are diminished further. So Friday nights look like it is. Unbelievable outcome for $1m+ being spent on renovations

Very true Lagging - hopefully they can rebuild their footy club, get back into an appropriate division (imo div 1 and drop Aspley out) and have some success.

Very true Lagging - hopefully they can rebuild their footy club, get back into an appropriate division (imo div 1 and drop Aspley out) and have some success.
Maybe they can scrap Colts and let them play ressies in div one.
It's a long way back from div 5.
It takes years.
Aflq obviously plenty of help for them.

Maybe they can scrap Colts and let them play ressies in div one.
It's a long way back from div 5.
It takes years.
Aflq obviously plenty of help for them.

Every year we have one or two clubs being effected by lack of numbers either forcing them to fold or go back to Friday Night Footy and rebuild.

last year we had Park Ridge and Yeronga. Before that we have had Suns, Kedron etc before that. It just appears we have a short fall of numbers and it seems to catch one or two clubs a year.

But things need to be looked at when it hits our top level QAFL Competition.

Obviously headquarters are trying to protect the QAFL by introducing salary caps and points systems in Community Footy Levels. But it will back fire if teams drop straight to Friday Night Competitions where this doesn’t apply.

Not sure what the answer is, but just happens every year?

Every year we have one or two clubs being effected by lack of numbers either forcing them to fold or go back to Friday Night Footy and rebuild.

last year we had Park Ridge and Yeronga. Before that we have had Suns, Kedron etc before that. It just appears we have a short fall of numbers and it seems to catch one or two clubs a year.

But things need to be looked at when it hits our top level QAFL Competition.

Obviously headquarters are trying to protect the QAFL by introducing salary caps and points systems in Community Footy Levels. But it will back fire if teams drop straight to Friday Night Competitions where this doesn’t apply.

Not sure what the answer is, but just happens every year?

To be fair SM I think Sandgate we’re always better suited to div 1 than qafl footy. Needed to bite the bullet a few years ago. Do a good job with juniors but for one reason or another this doesn’t seem to transfer into senior footy.

I agree it is a poor look but again fri night footy ends up being a soft option for many clubs. I can’t see why we can’t have a Saturday comp where clubs only require one team to be part of. I’ve always felt number of clubs is irrelevant data, what’s more relevant is the strength of these clubs and if they live by hand to mouth every year or actually pay all their bills on time, have $$ to spend on facilities, create a solid environment.

Fri night footy is bullshit. The theory is it is for kicks and giggles. But you get w***ers that play for sheep stations and that should be playing a better level. Clubs that have 2 teams should not have a 3rd that simply dilutes the available talent for other clubs surrounding. It should be for those clubs aspiring to play with 2 teams. It is about time AFLQ grew some agates in both the junior and senior space and made some decisions on team numbers etc for the good of competitions rather than rampant growth in some areas to the detriment of others. The hypocrisy rolls out on a daily basis - no wonder so many walk away disillusioned.

Fri night footy is bullshit. The theory is it is for kicks and giggles. But you get w***ers that play for sheep stations and that should be playing a better level. Clubs that have 2 teams should not have a 3rd that simply dilutes the available talent for other clubs surrounding. It should be for those clubs aspiring to play with 2 teams. It is about time AFLQ grew some agates in both the junior and senior space and made some decisions on team numbers etc for the good of competitions rather than rampant growth in some areas to the detriment of others. The hypocrisy rolls out on a daily basis - no wonder so many walk away disillusioned.
Some valid points Freddy but I can assure you in every sport there are burglars chasing a lower level trophy. Not sure how it can be completely eradicated.

I also think most the clubs with a 3rd side have built those teams based on a nucleus of old boys as well as guys who work Saturdays and Friday night is their only avenue for a game. Not sure they would all automatically shift to the next club and form in nice clusters of 22 players to form teams.

would be really sad if this is all true, I think footy is a better place wiuth Sandgate in the QAFL. If not Sandgate, then Zillmere or another traditional club.

Footy on the Northside is really struggling due to the behemoth that is Aspley and AFLQ simply turn the other way as they continue to pillage the area.

You say Aspley and I agree
But I think it's clear NEAFL
Is dead
What will Southport and Aspley do

my opinion is I think it will be good
For all lower comps

would be really sad if this is all true, I think footy is a better place wiuth Sandgate in the QAFL. If not Sandgate, then Zillmere or another traditional club.

Footy on the Northside is really struggling due to the behemoth that is Aspley and AFLQ simply turn the other way as they continue to pillage the area.

Why does it not work the same with Southport and the GC clubs do you think Fan? Legitimate question.

Some valid points Freddy but I can assure you in every sport there are burglars chasing a lower level trophy. Not sure how it can be completely eradicated.

I also think most the clubs with a 3rd side have built those teams based on a nucleus of old boys as well as guys who work Saturdays and Friday night is their only avenue for a game. Not sure they would all automatically shift to the next club and form in nice clusters of 22 players to form teams.

Its interesting though Lagging that someone stated that a large number of Sandgates's 2's were going to play for Zillmere on a Fri night. You cant tell me you go from QAFL reserve grade to Div 4 or 5 standard even if you spend a summer eating pies. That's a lot of guys who could filter into Kedron or Aspley div 1 side at the least.

Why does it not work the same with Southport and the GC clubs do you think Fan? Legitimate question.
I suppose a lot of People don't want to play for Southport
and you got a lot of QAFL Sides and Div 1 right down to div 5
Lots of Div 2 and 3

But not knowing where and how the divisions work that could all change
Shame about Sandgate they should be allowed to play Div 1
Way different to what park ridge did bringing in a premiership and they all left !!!!!
If my memory Serves me right Sandgate went through the same thing about 20 years ago
and come back through Div 2 ( bottom Tier then )
And smashed everyone on the way back up the Ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its interesting though Lagging that someone stated that a large number of Sandgates's 2's were going to play for Zillmere on a Fri night. You cant tell me you go from QAFL reserve grade to Div 4 or 5 standard even if you spend a summer eating pies. That's a lot of guys who could filter into Kedron or Aspley div 1 side at the least.

Lucky players have a choice where they want to play. Friday’s fit for a lot of busy people. The standard is on par with most div 3 sides. There are 4 players from Sandgate who played this year moving to Zillmere.

Because Southport don't field a side in the QFA or QAFL and market it as a pathway to the NEAFL. they work with the GC clubs and take the best players from each of them to play NEAFL.

Aspley have their NEAFL side, but then pull another 60 blokes out of the northside talent pool by having a QFA Div 1 side that they openly market as their NEAFL pathway.

A young 18 year old kid is then told by Aspley they are more likely to get a NEAFL spot on their list in the future if they play QFA there, instead of playing QAFL at Sandgate or Grange. A QAFL kid might go and do a pre-season with Aspley, not get NEAFL listed and suddenly they are playing QFA for them instead of playing QAFL. Its rubbish.

Having essdentially 2 clubs, one over in Brendale - also allows them to monopolise the junior talent pool. Clubs should be limited to 2 teams per age group at Youth level.

Imagine if Southport just decided tomorrow to put a QFA Div 1 side in? 60+ blokes come striaght out of that QAFL talent pool over to Southport.

Redland heading in the same direction with Vic Point Sharks. Shouldn't be allowed in my view, but thats just my view and mine alone.

Lucky players have a choice where they want to play. Friday’s fit for a lot of busy people. The standard is on par with most div 3 sides. There are 4 players from Sandgate who played this year moving to Zillmere.
Being someone who has experienced both ends of the spectrum Ben what do you think about the idea of more 1 team clubs? Personally think people forget AFL needs more players than any other sport in Aust and we ask for 2 of these sides before we will let you play!!

Because Southport don't field a side in the QFA or QAFL and market it as a pathway to the NEAFL. they work with the GC clubs and take the best players from each of them to play NEAFL.

Aspley have their NEAFL side, but then pull another 60 blokes out of the northside talent pool by having a QFA Div 1 side that they openly market as their NEAFL pathway.

A young 18 year old kid is then told by Aspley they are more likely to get a NEAFL spot on their list in the future if they play QFA there, instead of playing QAFL at Sandgate or Grange. A QAFL kid might go and do a pre-season with Aspley, not get NEAFL listed and suddenly they are playing QFA for them instead of playing QAFL. Its rubbish.

Having essdentially 2 clubs, one over in Brendale - also allows them to monopolise the junior talent pool. Clubs should be limited to 2 teams per age group at Youth level.

Imagine if Southport just decided tomorrow to put a QFA Div 1 side in? 60+ blokes come striaght out of that QAFL talent pool over to Southport.

Redland heading in the same direction with Vic Point Sharks. Shouldn't be allowed in my view, but thats just my view and mine alone.

Yep - good points. I agree and it is amazing that blokes still believe they have a leg up by playing in the QFA side.

Being someone who has experienced both ends of the spectrum Ben what do you think about the idea of more 1 team clubs? Personally think people forget AFL needs more players than any other sport in Aust and we ask for 2 of these sides before we will let you play!!

Any new club should have to have 30 players registered who are new to the game or who didn’t play the year before.

After that, why shouldn’t players have the option of playing on the day that best suits them? People have this idea that Friday nights are ruining Saturday footy.. times are changing, people are busier, working weekends, players with kids that want to be involved in their kids footy etc etc. Having a comp where players can still have a kick and do what they need to on a Saturday is just the way it is. It’s only going to keep growing and the standard has improved the last 4-5 years to be on par with a lot of div 3 sides. I doubt there are to many 18 year olds with talent who are looking to play Friday’s. And if there is, good luck to them.

If people honestly think Friday footy is having an affect on QAFL level players they are deluded.

Last edited:

Bang on! Watch how Sunny Coast play out with the junior comp already on its knees.

I agree totally SMY we argued last year to stay in Div 1 with 38 players on list. But our little mate at Headquarters would not wear it along with around 8 other options.

Apparently Sandgate had a meeting last night to clarify their position. I hope they can stay at least in Div 2 with one team and give them 12 months to rebuild 2 Teams.

I assure you it’s a hard slog back from Friday Night Footy especially with the points now involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back