QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A strong performance from the cats today.

in the first half surfers got squeezed defensively and the pressure was of a top level. Cats had the goods on the outside.

nasty incident in the last 1/4 which I reckon will see a suspension. Very dangerous tackle I think by Green that actually could have ended really badly. Fortunately Burton was walking around after the game. Will certainly be looked at

A strong performance from the cats today.

in the first half surfers got squeezed defensively and the pressure was of a top level. Cats had the goods on the outside.

nasty incident in the last 1/4 which I reckon will see a suspension. Very dangerous tackle I think by Green that actually could have ended really badly. Fortunately Burton was walking around after the game. Will certainly be looked at
Looking forward to next Saturday when PBC Host the cats. Should be a belter

What has he done now? Has he told his players not to have a beer in opposition club again?

Old school shouting and swearing at players and threatening them with getting dropped/dragged etc. Sending the runner out to tell them off about skill errors or other mistakes. The assistants seemed like good guys and were trying hard but also a bit young. Not much experience in the playing ranks to offer good advice on the bench either. Just didn’t look that positive overall. Quite a contrast to the Sherwood bench even though they also aren’t the strongest team. Observed this as a neutral.

Fair effort by Maroochydore to be leading panthers for most of the game. Sounds like it was only a bit of extra class and talent that got them in the end.

Fair effort by Maroochydore to be leading panthers for most of the game. Sounds like it was only a bit of extra class and talent that got them in the end.

Maroochydore are doing very well. Good on them. Coming up a division and then with COVID and no NEAFL it’s a credit to them how competitive they are. I wasn’t there but without NEAFL players Payne and Hamellman they beat Morningside today by the looks.

Labrador should be better than they are

Old school shouting and swearing at players and threatening them with getting dropped/dragged etc. Sending the runner out to tell them off about skill errors or other mistakes. The assistants seemed like good guys and were trying hard but also a bit young. Not much experience in the playing ranks to offer good advice on the bench either. Just didn’t look that positive overall. Quite a contrast to the Sherwood bench even though they also aren’t the strongest team. Observed this as a neutral.

Sorry, but that’s a complete beat-up.

There’s absolutely no concerns about the coach either within the playing group or the club administration, in fact it’s the complete opposite, and we literally couldn’t GAF about what any outsiders think.

Grange’s biggest problem today was that we had 8 guys out of the side which beat Mt Gravatt last week on top of losing at least 2 other senior players from the PBC game, so depth was an issue and it showed. Still, we won the Colts and Ressies games so it wasn't a bad day on the whole.

There’s simply no comparison between the experience Sherwood had in their playing ranks today and Grange’s, them having Beams, Harwood and Dawson is a pretty fair start. However, their ruckman was the real difference between the sides today, and we had lost our 2 best rucks over the past fortnight.

Grange was beaten fair and square on the day, but coaching had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Maroochydore are doing very well. Good on them. Coming up a division and then with COVID and no NEAFL it’s a credit to them how competitive they are. I wasn’t there but without NEAFL players Payne and Hamellman they beat Morningside today by the looks.

Labrador should be better than they are

I wasn’t there either prem but a morningside supporter said exactly that to me as well. So be it. They are competitive and fantastic to see blokes like scholard leading a young group around

From a neutral viewpoint.

I thought the same thing about the abusive bullying of the the Gorillas coach. It didn’t seam to fix any problems. It ended up with players mouthing back at Maloney. If he’s going to threaten players with dropping them, he will he a small team next week. Otherwise his antics will never work again.
The Gorillas didn’t play that badly considering the playing list. Experience and a better ruck on the day saw Sherwood through.
I wonder how long Maloney will continue with his tirades. Education and inspiration will always be a better coach.

Sorry, but that’s a complete beat-up.

There’s absolutely no concerns about the coach either within the playing group or the club administration, in fact it’s the complete opposite, and we literally couldn’t GAF about what any outsiders think.

Grange’s biggest problem today was that we had 8 guys out of the side which beat Mt Gravatt last week on top of losing at least 2 other senior players from the PBC game, so depth was an issue and it showed. Still, we won the Colts and Ressies games so it wasn't a bad day on the whole.

There’s simply no comparison between the experience Sherwood had in their playing ranks today and Grange’s, them having Beams, Harwood and Dawson is a pretty fair start. However, their ruckman was the real difference between the sides today, and we had lost our 2 best rucks over the past fortnight.

Grange was beaten fair and square on the day, but coaching had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Not a great look for the Gorillas if this is what the club is fully condoning.
At least the the young players and families of all ages joining know what to expect at WG.
Bullying is bullying.
Good luck improving your club with those underlying viewpoints Judge.

I was there for the 2nd half and didn't witness any of that stuff from Moloney. Granted I was a fair distance away, but if it is bad as suggested its something you would notice.

It felt like more of a 2019 QAFL game yesterday for sure, wasn't aware Grange had that many out, but given we were missing 6-8 as well, it probably showed. Youngsters in Samson Ryan in the ruck and Ethan Sivijs down back certainly played very well and its really pleasing to see them take a game by the scruff of the neck like that when the likes of Baulch, Franks, Greene, Stallard, Briskey and Johnson are out, plus guys like Resuggan and Dennis who would be walk up starts with those guys out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a great look for the Gorillas if this is what the club is fully condoning.
At least the the young players and families of all ages joining know what to expect at WG.
Bullying is bullying.
Good luck improving your club with those underlying viewpoints Judge.

Given that what you're alleging, namely "bullying", didn't happen, the club is not "condoning" anything other than Brent Moloney coaching a senior footy team in the way he sees fit.

"Young players and families"? Please.......

i think our footy club will be just fine, but thanks for your input.

21George and NotQuiteJezza may be different people, but I’m always suspect when 2 different accounts back each other up on something using similar language, both claiming to be a “neutral” and misspelling Moloney as “Maloney”.

21George and NotQuiteJezza may be different people, but I’m always suspect when 2 different accounts back each other up on something using similar language, both claiming to be a “neutral” and misspelling Moloney as “Maloney”.

No I'm not the Not Quite Jezza guy although I did notice that kind of thing too and wondered if others would think that. Look I wouldn't put it in the bullying bracket and I don't cast aspersions on the whole club (quite the contrary have much respect for WG). I also agree that coaching didn't cost them the game as they were obviously younger and less experienced. Sherwood had some good performers on the day - the ruck in particular. I thought the WG boys put in a really good performance and effort certainly wasn't an issue which was sort of my point. They are a young and developing team doing their best so screaming/swearing and threatening and telling them to 'wake up' and 'go hard' and generally being one of those sort of old school coaches really doesn't seem a very productive way to go for that team in particular. Happy to leave it to others and the club though.

I was at the game and didn't hear anything particularly concerning from Beema other than the odd angry burst that you would expect from any coach at this level when their team is getting beaten.

What astonished me was the sheer number of coaches and people in the Grange box. There must have been at least 10 upstairs in the coaches box, plus another 5 coaches or managers or assistants at ground level - surely a 15 person strong footy department is overkill in the QAFL?

yet they amounted to a mere 47 points, while you had 56 points. Some fair experience in Fabian, Baxter, Thomson, Boston among others against what appeared to be a bunch of kids + a handful of underperforming big names.

yet they amounted to a mere 47 points, while you had 56 points. Some fair experience in Fabian, Baxter, Thomson, Boston among others against what appeared to be a bunch of kids + a handful of underperforming big names.

We lose 8 guys from the team which beat Mt Gravatt yet go from 51 points to 56, which shows both the anomalies in the points system and the fact that points are a poor guide to quality.

As I’ve said before, Grange presently have too few 1 pointers who are first choice players, but that is going to change very quickly. I hope you’re around to see it ( not really).

Last edited:
Disagree Judge - thats not an anomaly in the points system - it just means there was probably a few low point players (academy kids possibly that had their game on the weekend) that were replaced by guys who were 2's players that came from other clubs and hadnt cracked a game yet. The points system will be the saviour of clubs like Grange to compete in years to come.

We had 12 players 20 or under who have less than 20 games QAFL experience in the side we named. Baulch and Franks were late withdrawals, which resulted in 2 debutants (both over 20). So we got older, but less experienced again.

I would argue that on balance we're a very young side.

We had 12 players 20 or under who have less than 20 games QAFL experience in the side we named. Baulch and Franks were late withdrawals, which resulted in 2 debutants (both over 20). So we got older, but less experienced again.

U must be pretty happy how the season has gone so far thommo. Be a good game v maroochy thisxwend u would think.

Sherwood is definitely a younger side than I thought, which is a good sign for their future.

Grange had 9 guys under 20 out there on Saturday, but in most games this season we have been playing 8 boys turning 17 or 18 plus a couple turning 19 so we were actually a bit "older" than usual v Sherwood.

Grange Colts are on top of the ladder without having access to any of those top end 17/18 yo's, so we're very happy with what we've got coming through.

U must be pretty happy how the season has gone so far thommo. Be a good game v maroochy thisxwend u would think.
Yes and no. We've battled injuries for a few years now and been hit again this year.

Would be nice to have Stallard, Greene, Baulch, Franks & Johnson out there again, and we should see 3 of them before too long.

Dennis, Bulley and a few others being out as well isn't helpful.

Would have been nice to knock off over one of the so called big 3, but we were pretty depleted in 2 of those 3 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back