QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's 3 Grogans and 3 NEAFL MVPs. I think 12 senior B&Fs if he wins Morningside's medal this year. An outrageous record!
Was he ever on the radar for AFL clubs? I think he spent a season or two at Sturt with old Zillmere team mate Luke Crane but I never heard whether he was considered a possibility at the top level.

I think it's 3 Grogans and 3 NEAFL MVPs. I think 12 senior B&Fs if he wins Morningside's medal this year. An outrageous record!

Without doubt the most decorated QLD player ever not to have played AFL.

Imagine like Dayne Zorko who only got his opportunity after 4 QAFL B&F’s, if Payne got a chance in his mid twenties?

Zorko is an A Grader in AFL ranks now, and I would have now doubts given the opportunity, Payne could have been around same mark.

Without doubt the most decorated QLD player ever not to have played AFL.

Imagine like Dayne Zorko who only got his opportunity after 4 QAFL B&F’s, if Payne got a chance in his mid twenties?

Zorko is an A Grader in AFL ranks now, and I would have now doubts given the opportunity, Payne could have been around same mark.

Fully agree. Sometimes people just need to be given a chance.

Imagine if they had all the academy stuff back then. He would be a certainty to be on a list.

Agree with all that Payne should have had an opportunity on an AFL list especially 10 years ago when suns/giants entered and there was more opportunity.

I always thought Zorkos ability to explode from the contest made him more likely than Payne to make it as an AFL player but as we all know Zorko has an AA and 4 Lions bnfs. He is a genuine gun of the comp, and didn’t just get there.

I reckon Payne would’ve been a serviceable 100 game AFL player if given the chance.

Payne ,,, agree with all that has been said here but lets ask ,,why did he not get drafted ,,,obviously the afl clubs saw deficiencies and it did not happen ,
I have seen many players experience the same over the years ,, guns at local level, or 2nd tier level , but not shown enough to be recruited at afl level

Payne is more of a Sam Mitchell type, Zorks a completely different player.

Accumulates the footy, not particularly quick, makes good decisions almost every time and gets to the right spots. It's a mystery how he never got a chance, but one thing might just have been that it was an era when athletes were all the rage and Payne just a pure footballer.

Perhaps people just didn't rate QLD footy, maybe if he'd stayed down in Vic he might have had a better chance?

He must be 36(?) now and still playing at an incredible level.

Payne ,,, agree with all that has been said here but lets ask ,,why did he not get drafted ,,,obviously the afl clubs saw deficiencies and it did not happen ,
I have seen many players experience the same over the years ,, guns at local level, or 2nd tier level , but not shown enough to be recruited at afl level

I get what your saying but how many times have recruiters got it wrong in selecting players with “potential” and then being know where near the level to play AFL.

There would be a stack of players who have dominated local comps over the years that just needed a shot at the big time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn’t Fowler playing seniors for Broadbeach?
Why isn’t Fowler playing seniors for Broadbeach?
chooka broke some ribs in our first game of the season ,,,was out for about 6 weeks and has come back for the last 2 home and away games and one never catches up the fitness to be on par not to mention the 3 good talls we already have in the senior team .Must comment, to Choolas credit he has acceprted his bad luck this season and has no issue playing ressies,,,,a good clubman he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back