QAFL 2020

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So what is a pass mark for Maroochydore then?
Is Making the finals a realistic goal?
Is 6 wins par for the season?
Their biggest issue will be depth, the reserves standard is a lot higher than Div 1 reserves which they will soon learn.

I think they will aim high but in reality making finals will be a damn good effort.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Knowing the strength and mindset of the Maroochy Roos making the finals will surely be in their sights.Such a strong junior base quality administrators coaches and really the centre piece of Sunshine Coast Aussie rules.Hope they go really well!

I expect Maroochydore to be mid table maybe sneak into finals but probably just miss. Their entry provides some additional competitiveness and I for one am keen for an excuse to have a weekend on the sunny coast.

Overall I like the look of the comp this year. With Sandgate dropping out and expected improvement from other lower sides particularly Grange and Lab it should be pretty competitive, making interesting viewing.

The Grand finalists look like they will be up there again but obviously Surfers showed last year that any team can be beaten so unlike previous years where it felt like there was a clear and obvious favourite and everyone else playing for 2nd, this year seems pretty open with 4-5 sides having a genuine opportunity.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ablett as you well know as a worldly educated football person that any club or team that is promoted up a division anywhere on the eastern coast of Australia be it Vic, NSW or Qld the aim is to be competitive. I assume the Roos are no different

Define competitive in their view.......as the definition differs from team to team.
I would presume 6 wins to be a pass mark and no blowouts against the top sides.
Their big test will be travelling away in the last 3 rd of the season, especially if finals are out of reach, and if they are experience a bad run with injuries.
Have no doubt it won’t take them long to climb the ladder in the coming years.

Noosa should be keeping a careful eye on them to help their transition into the QAFL which is seeming realistic in 2021.

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok but thats 4 seasons ago in the Piney Cup !!!,, whats he done since ?
He has been i think in Kingaroy teaching doing his rural service. Not 100 per cent sure but played there last couple years. Yes i know not a great comp but was a very good player before this. TAC cup player and as the 3rd or fourth best forward he will be a handful for the 3rd or 4th best defender.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He has been i think in Kingaroy teaching doing his rural service. Not 100 per cent sure but played there last couple years. Yes i know not a great comp but was a very good player before this. TAC cup player and as the 3rd or fourth best forward he will be a handful for the 3rd or 4th best defender.

Thanks for your info here..... hes got a battle to be a gun in this comp if thats his past 3 or 4 seasons history...but in saqying that ,, good luck to him.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure he will be a gun Stuyd but be more than handy in the role SP described and as an ex skipper is a good person to have around club.
Few other really good blokes to be announced by Maroochy in next few weeks - one I would go as far to say will be in the best 2-3 players in comp.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure he will be a gun Stuyd but be more than handy in the role SP described and as an ex skipper is a good person to have around club.
Few other really good blokes to be announced by Maroochy in next few weeks - one I would go as far to say will be in the best 2-3 players in comp.

Thats good news ,,, looks like they are really building ,,, its creating a lot of interest

Magpieboy

Senior List
Mar 4, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Heard a whisper that Matthew Payne from Aspley has gone to Maroochydore.Anyone else heard?

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
SMY, are you talking one Matthew Payne !!

Jan 3, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Heard a whisper that Matthew Payne from Aspley has gone to Maroochydore.Anyone else heard?

Massive win for the Roos if true. I know Trewella and the Gorillas have been working hard for his signature for a number of years.

Still think Payne has plenty to offer at NEAFL level and Aspley aren't short of a dollar.

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven’t heard that although it was mentioned even last year. He would be a decent pick up.
Yes smy I remember hearing that also last year.Be a terrific get ! I’d think blokes like Tom Templeton, jai Fitzpatrick,Tom Baulch and will odwyer who are all on neafl lists from Noosa would be aligned with Maroochydore also if not playing for Aspley or Redlands

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes smy I remember hearing that also last year.Be a terrific get ! I’d think blokes like Tom Templeton, jai Fitzpatrick,Tom Baulch and will odwyer who are all on neafl lists from Noosa would be aligned with Maroochydore also if not playing for Aspley or Redlands
Gee that could create some motivation for those guys to get a game at neafl level 😂😂 love to see fitzy roll out in a maroochy jumper and in fact like to see his old man there supporting 😂😂

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What's the feeling about the realignment of Sandgate NEAFL players? I hear they all go into a mini draft along with Redlands players

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What's the feeling about the realignment of Sandgate NEAFL players? I hear they all go into a mini draft along with Redlands players

Is there a fairer way? A few of Redlands players will potentially come from Noosa. Possibly with being the only side on Coast in 2020 it might be seen as unfair for Redlands and aspley sc players to all go to maroochy outside of those already Roos players.

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is there a fairer way? A few of Redlands players will potentially come from Noosa. Possibly with being the only side on Coast in 2020 it might be seen as unfair for Redlands and aspley sc players to all go to maroochy outside of those already Roos players.
Just wondering how the numbers end up

FAN THE MAN

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So what is a pass mark for Maroochydore then?
Is Making the finals a realistic goal?
Is 6 wins par for the season?
Their biggest issue will be depth, the reserves standard is a lot higher than Div 1 reserves which they will soon learn.

I actually think depth is their strength. I'd back Maroochy 2's to be certain finalists from what I've seen of them over the years.

Back