QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the feeling about the realignment of Sandgate NEAFL players? I hear they all go into a mini draft along with Redlands players

Surely its done as normal?

1. Players have option to retain existing alignment
2. Players who have a junior or recent connection apply to align to a certain club (if they are newly NEAFL listed)
3. Unaligned players go in the mini draft (or players seeking re-alignment)

For many gun NEAFL listed players, their alignment is irrelevant as they will never play QAFL footy anyway unless coming back from LTI

I actually think depth is their strength. I'd back Maroochy 2's to be certain finalists from what I've seen of them over the years.

Their strength is the colts basically. Have had one of the best colts teams in SEQ for nearly 6 years now. This makes a huge difference when it comes to putting decent senior teams on the paddock. And it wont change this season either.

I actually think depth is their strength. I'd back Maroochy 2's to be certain finalists from what I've seen of them over the years.

Have you seen any QAFL reserves games lately?

I doubt Maroochydore 2’s will win a game, especially since Sandgate have gone, and that’s not being critical but reality is there’s a big difference in standard between Div1 2’s & QAFL 2’s.
Infact the QAFL 2’s premiers the last few season would give the top 3 Div1 seniors team a shake.

Have you seen any QAFL reserves games lately?

I doubt Maroochydore 2’s will win a game, especially since Sandgate have gone, and that’s not being critical but reality is there’s a big difference in standard between Div1 2’s & QAFL 2’s.
Infact the QAFL 2’s premiers the last few season would give the top 3 Div1 seniors team a shake.
No wrong there.The Maroochy and Noosa senior teams of the last three years would easily account for any top qafl reserve team.The Roos will be competitive in all 4 grades of qafl this year and that why they jumped at the chance to go up.They will be there to contend!

No wrong there.The Maroochy and Noosa senior teams of the last three years would easily account for any top qafl reserve team.The Roos will be competitive in all 4 grades of qafl this year and that why they jumped at the chance to go up.They will be there to contend!
Great debate that time will start answering from 18th April. I've watched a bit of both and can only say that Maroochydore have gone where they need to for the good of their club, footy on the Sunny Coast, SEQ footy, and the QAFL comp.

The only caveat is that both the Maroochydore seniors & reserves braced themselves for a hard game after the benefit of 5 soft games so this is a different challenge. Lack focus for 10 minutes in any game and they, like every team, could see 5 goals laid against and the game gone before they know it. They haven't had that scoreboard penalty applied in QFA very often.

Div1 standard has decreased the last few seasons and Noosa nor Maroochydore Seniors would easily beat the QAFL 2’s premiers of the last few seasons, Div1 Seniors still have some overweight battlers carried by the better players, QAFL 2’s is mostly made up of young fit guys in n out of the academy and seniors.
Noosa have played practise games V Surfers paradise a few times in recent years and what was the 2’s score?
Smashed on all occasions I believe?

QAFL Reserves in recent years has had huge disparities in talent between Top 3 and bottom 3. Some absolute cricket score racked up in some games.

Some clubs have very little depth, others have heaps. Some clubs have heaps of NEAFL guys playing every week, so their 2's are really strong. Then those NEAFL guys play NEAFL for a few weeks and suddenly their 2's are getting smashed.

Look at the Vulture as one example. Their senior side is known to usually have 20% NEAFL listed guys every week, so their 2's are always strong.

Rounds 1 and 2 last year they beat the Magpies by 100 points and Broady by 80 odd, lost to PBC then went on a rampage thumping Grange by 15 goals and Sandgate by 25 goals. Then after defeating the Magpies and Broady by 100 and 80 points respectively in Rounds 1 and 2, they lost both return games finished 4th after being top most of the year and the 5th placed broady beat them by 80 odd in the elimination final.

In my view, Maroochy will be a very strong 2's team as they are consistent and have good depth. Only have to look at their 3rds to know the 2's must be going ok. Unlike the Vultures, Magpies, Tigers etc who can put out some absolutely rubbish 2's teams one week, then have 14 changes and put out a good team the next - the Roos will have a consistent outfit and that makes all the difference in 2's footy.

Their strength is the colts basically. Have had one of the best colts teams in SEQ for nearly 6 years now. This makes a huge difference when it comes to putting decent senior teams on the paddock. And it wont change this season either.

I can't say that I'm too knowledgeable about the history of the Colts program at Maroochydore.

However, having watched the 2019 QFA Colts GF where Maroochydore beat Coorparoo,I'm confident that all of the top 3 sides in QAFL Colts last year (Grange, PBC and Broady) would have beaten them by 5-10 goals on any given day, and I think Sherwood would have beaten them too.

The standard in QFA Colts last year was very ordinary, in my view Maroochydore Colts will really struggle to play finals this year with the big step up in class.

Last edited:
Agree, they would not have got near the best 4 Colts teams from the past 3 years in any of their own Colts years. Miles off it.

2017 Colts was incredibly high standard, it did drop off a bit in 18/19.

Compared to what Dusty? Are you suggesting there is no gap between QAFL & QFA?

Of course there is a gap. But saying that Reserve Grade QAFL sides would easily beat the better QFA is laughable. It would be like saying a reserve grade NEAFL side would easily beat PBC or Surfers. No chance.
Just because players are playing a level below doesn’t necessarily mean they are worse players. Most top 10 or 15 players in QFA clubs would be top end reserve grade premier league players or mid to bottom tier senior players.
There are a variety of reasons why player play the level below (work family commitment). They train differently but talent wise they would be better or at worst on par.
I even read somewhere on here that QAFL clubs has better depth them EDFL O and M, EFL etc.... somewhat over rating the competition.

Last edited:
Agree, they would not have got near the best 4 Colts teams from the past 3 years in any of their own Colts years. Miles off it.

2017 Colts was incredibly high standard, it did drop off a bit in 18/19.
Disagree again but let’s just wait and c.Certainly agap between qafl and qfa and so it should b the gap between qafl and Maroochydore is not that big imo.Thoseftom Broadbeach,Labrador,my Gravatt and Morningside May have that opinion as they haven’t played in a Comp against the two strongest sunny coast clubs ofthepast 15 years.Im sure people from the magpies,palmy or surfers will certainly b showing respect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I even read somewhere on here that QAFL clubs has better depth them EDFL O and M, EFL etc.... somewhat over rating the competition.

The bottom 4 players from most of the Top 6 QAFL clubs would be better than the bottom 4 from plenty of O&M and EDFL sides. However, the Top 10 from O&M and EDFL sides would be far and away better than the QAFL equivalent. This is no overrating QAFL, its just a more balanced league in that regard.

The depth of talent in Victoria as an example is huge, but it is spread far and wide across the country and suburban leagues.

I would also suggest the gap between QAFL and the top end of QFA is far smaller than the gap between QFA Div 1 and Div 2, which is like the grand *ing canyon!

The bottom 4 players from most of the Top 6 QAFL clubs would be better than the bottom 4 from plenty of O&M and EDFL sides. However, the Top 10 from O&M and EDFL sides would be far and away better than the QAFL equivalent. This is no overrating QAFL, its just a more balanced league in that regard.

The depth of talent in Victoria as an example is huge, but it is spread far and wide across the country and suburban leagues.

I would also suggest the gap between QAFL and the top end of QFA is far smaller than the gap between QFA Div 1 and Div 2, which is like the grand f*n canyon!

I could not disagree with this post more and you are overrating the standard.
The bottom 4 players you are talking about in most O and M sides are generally those who have come through junior programs, dominated district footy or are apart of the Bushrangers program. All of which are of a better standard then the QAFL equivalents.
the bottom 4 or 5 from QAFL clubs would possibly walk into 3 O&M clubs. North Albury, Corowa and Wodonga.
They wouldn’t be in the top of half reserve grade players at Lavington Albury Wang or Yarra.
The QAFL is a good standard no doubt but I think there is some over rating going on here.
As for the gulf between Div 1 and 2, Div 2 must be bad because the skill level of Div 1 can be average at times.

Last edited:
There was a bloke that came from the Pigeons last year up to the QAFL, had been in the bushrangers program etc. Still 20 odd, 50 senior O&M games for Yarra.

Played more 2's than 1's at a club that didn't play QAFL finals. Thats just 1 example off the top of my head.

There was a bloke that came from the Pigeons last year up to the QAFL, had been in the bushrangers program etc. Still 20 odd, 50 senior O&M games for Yarra.

Played more 2's than 1's at a club that didn't play QAFL finals. Thats just 1 example off the top of my head.

My bet is he came up and got stuck in the QLD lifestyle and footy took a back seat.
Happens to a lot of players that move up. Hence the reason they end up going back.

There is a player that came up last season out of a district league near Albury and ended up In the leadership group of a QAFL side.

the point I am making is that I believe you are over rating QAFL. How much of an impact Maroochydore make coming up is tbd. But I expect they’ll make an impact. Especially at home.

the point I am making is that I believe you are over rating QAFL. How much of an impact Maroochydore make coming up is tbd. But I expect they’ll make an impact. Especially at home.

As do I. I also think their reserves will be strong.

They will retain players they may have otherwise lost by moving up, and I hear a few local guns from other guns have moved across to play up the level.

so they will be stronger than they were in 2019, and they will need to be.

There is a player that came up last season out of a district league near Albury and ended up In the leadership group of a QAFL side.

you missed my point

The top end players in any bush league down there will always be very very good.

Murray League, GFL, Gippsland, Riverina, Loddon Valley etc. all would have some genuine guns running around thatr would dominate or be top tier QAFL players.

I'm simply saying that while Albury Tigers and Wang Rovers would smash Surfers or PBC, it would be because of players 1-10, not players 18-22. I actually reckon players 18-22 at Surfers and PBC would be better than their opposite numbers, but the disparity as the top end would mean its irrelevant.

Look at Shaun Daly, he played Div 1 instead of QAFL - but we know he would have been just as dominant at QAFL level. Went back to O&M and is still a handy player in his twilight years.

People tend to overestimate the footy they follow or grew up with- human nature. My view on vic country v qafl is the following:

Really depends on the player. Different footy up here with generally large dry fast grounds with fast running footy. Victoria generally smaller wetter slower footy, but more physical and skilful often.

Plenty of Victorian’s over the years have come up here with great footy resumes and struggled with the heat and running required in qld footy ( neafl and qafl). Others that are suited that footy do well up here.

PBC would be plenty competitive in O & M comp I reckon but agree the top couple of teams would get them imo

I can't say that I'm too knowledgeable about the history of the Colts program at Maroochydore.

However, having watched the 2019 QFA Colts GF where Maroochydore beat Coorparoo,I'm confident that all of the top 3 sides in QAFL Colts last year (Grange, PBC and Broady) would have beaten them by 5-10 goals on any given day, and I think Sherwood would have beaten them too.

The standard in QFA Colts last year was very ordinary, in my view Maroochydore Colts will really struggle to play finals this year with the big step up in class.

Yeah it was a poor comp in 2019 judge but maroochy have been best colts team on a consistent basis in seq over the past 6 years. When the comps weren’t aligned they always finished top 3, won it one year, never missed finals.
Always hard to judge too the different standards imo..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back