QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

People tend to overestimate the footy they follow or grew up with- human nature. My view on vic country v qafl is the following:

Really depends on the player. Different footy up here with generally large dry fast grounds with fast running footy. Victoria generally smaller wetter slower footy, but more physical and skilful often.

Plenty of Victorian’s over the years have come up here with great footy resumes and struggled with the heat and running required in qld footy ( neafl and qafl). Others that are suited that footy do well up here.

PBC would be plenty competitive in O & M comp I reckon but agree the top couple of teams would get them imo

Must comment ,, and Ive seen this opinion shared by many posters over the years,,, and that is the belief QLD grounds are much larger then Victorian/Southern Riverina grounds ...that is so incorrect . Yes the Melbourne suburban grounds are smaller thats for sure but go out into the country areas and the grounds are very large ,, bigger then Qld grounds,, like all over the state of Victoria,, Albury/Wodonga , Wangaratta , Shepparton, Ballarat , Bendigo , Warranmbool, Mildura , Wagga, Narrandera to name a few,,,Then theres Deniliquin ,,,has 2 clubs, one participating in the Murray league and the other in the lower grade Picola league ,,, both their home grounds are larger then the MCG in playing surface ,,,
Weather wise;
The Melbourne suburban grounds become mud grounds with not a hell of a lot of rain .... the country areas need a fair bit of rain for the grounds clay soil to become muddy but once they do its very hard for them to dry out simply because of the cold winter temperatures and lack of sun compared to the Qld weather, thus yes I agree the footy down there is played on heavier tracks,( though September is usually recovery time and finals ground conditions are better.)

Standards ;
IMO, the top few comps in country victoria are more skilful and physical and dont doubt the quickness of the game that is created by this skilful play....to game plans ,,,
Its always difficult to judge standards but its something we as humans will always do.....Qafl is a good standard comp now ,,,its not as good as the top 4 Vic Country comps but I feel its not to far behind .

There was a bloke that came from the Pigeons last year up to the QAFL, had been in the bushrangers program etc. Still 20 odd, 50 senior O&M games for Yarra.

Played more 2's than 1's at a club that didn't play QAFL finals. Thats just 1 example off the top of my head.

Yeah same happened at maroochy but doesn’t mean o&m is not as good as you think. Guy came from wodonga, actually got dropped from their 2s. Came mid year though to a club that had 10 missing out already. Wasn’t a wise move.

People tend to overestimate the footy they follow or grew up with- human nature. My view on vic country v qafl is the following:

Really depends on the player. Different footy up here with generally large dry fast grounds with fast running footy. Victoria generally smaller wetter slower footy, but more physical and skilful often.

Plenty of Victorian’s over the years have come up here with great footy resumes and struggled with the heat and running required in qld footy ( neafl and qafl). Others that are suited that footy do well up here.

PBC would be plenty competitive in O & M comp I reckon but agree the top couple of teams would get them.

Good analysis

Yeah same happened at maroochy but doesn’t mean o&m is not as good as you think. Guy came from wodonga, actually got dropped from their 2s. Came mid year though to a club that had 10 missing out already. Wasn’t a wise move.
provide me with this players name and i will be able to provide you with accurate records on this player,,, something is so out of kilt here ,, if he got dropped from the Wodonga reserves ,,, wow he wouldnt play in QLD S DIVISION 3 SENIOR SIDES

Must comment ,, and Ive seen this opinion shared by many posters over the years,,, and that is the belief QLD grounds are much larger then Victorian/Southern Riverina grounds ...that is so incorrect . Yes the Melbourne suburban grounds are smaller thats for sure but go out into the country areas and the grounds are very large ,, bigger then Qld grounds,, like all over the state of Victoria,, Albury/Wodonga , Wangaratta , Shepparton, Ballarat , Bendigo , Warranmbool, Mildura , Wagga, Narrandera to name a few,,,Then theres Deniliquin ,,,has 2 clubs, one participating in the Murray league and the other in the lower grade Picola league ,,, both their home grounds are larger then the MCG in playing surface ,,,
Weather wise;
The Melbourne suburban grounds become mud grounds with not a hell of a lot of rain .... the country areas need a fair bit of rain for the grounds clay soil to become muddy but once they do its very hard for them to dry out simply because of the cold winter temperatures and lack of sun compared to the Qld weather, thus yes I agree the footy down there is played on heavier tracks,( though September is usually recovery time and finals ground conditions are better.)

Standards ;
IMO, the top few comps in country victoria are more skilful and physical and dont doubt the quickness of the game that is created by this skilful play....to game plans ,,,
Its always difficult to judge standards but its something we as humans will always do.....Qafl is a good standard comp now ,,,its not as good as the top 4 Vic Country comps but I feel its not to far behind .
Spot on

provide me with this players name and i will be able to provide you with accurate records on this player,,, something is so out of kilt here ,, if he got dropped from the Wodonga reserves ,,, wow he wouldnt play in QLD S DIVISION 3 SENIOR SIDES

Got dropped from Maroochys 2's - was playing seniors at Wodonga. Just trust me this happened as we tried to get him to come to Caloundra AND he came with the recommendation of Cresswell. Doesn't mean he wasn't any good, just to say there is a lot more that goes into performing than just ability.

Got dropped from Maroochys 2's - was playing seniors at Wodonga. Just trust me this happened as we tried to get him to come to Caloundra AND he came with the recommendation of Cresswell. Doesn't mean he wasn't any good, just to say there is a lot more that goes into performing than just ability.
Yes. I remember that bloke as we talked to him also after cresswell had messaged an ex coach of ours that he goes well.Actually from wodonga raiders his last name is blasyck or something close too.Pretty sure he has gone to Caloundra for this season

Yes. I remember that bloke as we talked to him also after cresswell had messaged an ex coach of ours that he goes well.Actually from wodonga raiders his last name is blasyck or something close too.Pretty sure he has gone to Caloundra for this season

Yeah and now back home to Wodonga. Nice guy but walked into a club with 10 blokes missing out on reserves footy in June.

Yeah and now back home to Wodonga. Nice guy but walked into a club with 10 blokes missing out on reserves footy in June.

yes got it ...his name is Dillon Blaszczyk ...He played about 35 senior games and 40 reserves games for the Wodonga Raiders whom in both grades finished around 5th or 6th on the ladder over those 4 seasons ,,,,,under Cresswell as coach and the clubs goal to acheive better results in country victorias best league I heard he lost the desire for his footy ... if that is correct then there is no way he would of come up here and perform to his background reputation at the Raiders....not that he had a reputation in the Ovens and Murray ,, but if fit and focused he should of been a good player up here..

On the topic of recruiting players from the southern states ,, unless the player a club is looking at has been a good player at senior level in the higher standard comps you would not bother chasing them ,,, if they have been good players ( not stars ) in a minor level comp I can tell you now they wont be good enough to play seniors at QAFL level...
I wont say names but for example , PBC got a player from Mildura with a big reputation ,,, he shopped himself to us at Broady and Labrador ,,, PBC won his services and I think hes played about 10 senior games over the past 3 seasons ,,,,,Mildura is in the Sunraysia League and is a minor comp .
Another example was last season where Labrador recruited 2 guys from the Hume League near Albury . Another comp similiar to the Sunraysia league and these 2 guys had never played a game at senior level in the Ovens and Murray comp ......they are playing in the lower comp cause they get paid good dollars compared to being paid little dollars at reserve grade level in the Ovens and Murray.....End result ...neither played a senior game for Labrador ...

On the topic of recruiting players from the southern states ,, unless the player a club is looking at has been a good player at senior level in the higher standard comps you would not bother chasing them ,,, if they have been good players ( not stars ) in a minor level comp I can tell you now they wont be good enough to play seniors at QAFL level...
I wont say names but for example , PBC got a player from Mildura with a big reputation ,,, he shopped himself to us at Broady and Labrador ,,, PBC won his services and I think hes played about 10 senior games over the past 3 seasons ,,,,,Mildura is in the Sunraysia League and is a minor comp .
Another example was last season where Labrador recruited 2 guys from the Hume League near Albury . Another comp similiar to the Sunraysia league and these 2 guys had never played a game at senior level in the Ovens and Murray comp ......they are playing in the lower comp cause they get paid good dollars compared to being paid little dollars at reserve grade level in the Ovens and Murray.....End result ...neither played a senior game for Labrador ...

those boys actually stayed in the lower comp because they were juniors there and stayed to enjoy their footy. But you’re right they hadn’t played o and m and I mentioned that in a post earlier.

those boys actually stayed in the lower comp because they were juniors there and stayed to enjoy their footy. But you’re right they hadn’t played o and m and I mentioned that in a post earlier.

Dusty,, no problems with that ,,, the point im trying to promote ,,,is the fact if a player from the southern states has not got a 2 to 3 year senior level playing history at a club thats in a major comp, well then aQAFL club should not bother with the recruitment process.

Dusty,, no problems with that ,,, the point im trying to promote ,,,is the fact if a player from the southern states has not got a 2 to 3 year senior level playing history at a club thats in a major comp, well then aQAFL club should not bother with the recruitment process.

not denying that and that’s up to the club to do due diligence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah disagree - if a bloke is winning b&f's in a 2nd tier country league in Vic (not sure where that starts and ends mind you) then I would say that he will be okay in QAFL footy. I look at some of the guys running around getting regular footy with clubs like Grange in years gone by (think Sandgate is probably an unfair example) plus the blokes who have come back to Div 1 footy and not done anything special, I think you are doing your club a disservice by dismissing out of hand. Like Dusty said, do your due diligence but plenty of gems in the lower comps that have never bothered to prostitute themselves around to the highest bidder.
I would be going after anyone who had won multiple b&f's or a league medal in the Sunraysia league to be honest mate. Not sure Id be paying them more than someone who has done the same thing out of the GV or GFL but still, must go alright.

Yeah disagree - if a bloke is winning b&f's in a 2nd tier country league in Vic (not sure where that starts and ends mind you) then I would say that he will be okay in QAFL footy. I look at some of the guys running around getting regular footy with clubs like Grange in years gone by (think Sandgate is probably an unfair example) plus the blokes who have come back to Div 1 footy and not done anything special, I think you are doing your club a disservice by dismissing out of hand. Like Dusty said, do your due diligence but plenty of gems in the lower comps that have never bothered to prostitute themselves around to the highest bidder.
I would be going after anyone who had won multiple b&f's or a league medal in the Sunraysia league to be honest mate. Not sure Id be paying them more than someone who has done the same thing out of the GV or GFL but still, must go alright.

SMY ,,
i hear what your saying and I am talking in general ,, as to become really specific we would be writing essays here. Im not talking about multiple award winners ,, Im talking about good players in a minor comp down south that get a huge wrap up to a prospective QAFL club ,and come here and dont make the cut,,,, and obviously its up to the due diligence of the hunting club,,, geez ,, thats a given isnt it ,,

well with the QAFL having a hit out vs the Ammos this year it will be interesting to see where they sit. TBH I think it would be a spanking with the number of AFL blokes who have entered the VAFA recently, Tom Boyd just being one, if they get close to their best side on the paddock. Its a massive money making exercise for these blokes now but all off the footy books but through private school connections. I was told Boyd did 3 lectures to Trinty Grammarians about some topic at $6k a pop each! Good money if you can get it. Then he waltzed off to St Kevins. Go figure.

well with the QAFL having a hit out vs the Ammos this year it will be interesting to see where they sit. TBH I think it would be a spanking with the number of AFL blokes who have entered the VAFA recently, Tom Boyd just being one, if they get close to their best side on the paddock. Its a massive money making exercise for these blokes now but all off the footy books but through private school connections. I was told Boyd did 3 lectures to Trinty Grammarians about some topic at $6k a pop each! Good money if you can get it. Then he waltzed off to St Kevins. Go figure.
For the QAFL v VAFA game no players from Premier A are eligible. Only Premier B to Division 4

For the QAFL v VAFA game no players from Premier A are eligible. Only Premier B to Division 4
The VAFA comp is and has been one of the states best comp going around ... it has like some 7 divisions at some 10 teams a division .. So what a joke ,, be it the VAFA players eligible are picked from Division B AND BELOW to play qafl ... wow we will get well beaten

Heard a rumour the Grange players still haven't been paid match payments for last year....

usually hear that rumour about clubs same time every year. It’s generally the player thinking he’s been short paid because the club has extracted his expenses for that year leaving him with less then he expected.
In my experience if the club is struggling to pay they are generally up front and square it away quick as possible.
The pub talk majority of the time is the player not understanding his terms.

usually hear that rumour about clubs same time every year. It’s generally the player thinking he’s been short paid because the club has extracted his expenses for that year leaving him with less then he expected.
In my experience if the club is struggling to pay they are generally up front and square it away quick as possible.
The pub talk majority of the time is the player not understanding his terms.
Waiting for Judges response to this!!!
A small band of people seem to get off bagging Wilston Grange but I reckon they have done a great job with their facility upgrade (not 100% sure about the position of the coaches boxes) and their junior footy program. Yet to produce the results they want in QAFL seniors but it's a club that has the foundations for a long future

Especially if they attract as much as 4 points in some cases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back