QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Baulch is aligned to magpies as he infact lives in Brisbane whilst at uni,Templeton is aligned to Maroochydore if not playing at Aspley and Fitzpatrick and odwyer are aligned to their original club (Noosa) due to it being their first year on a neafl list.
why does it matter if they are first year NEAFL players, rules last year unless they have changed you play at your home club if the local QAFL club is over 50kms away.

why does it matter if they are first year NEAFL players, rules last year unless they have changed you play at your home club if the local QAFL club is over 50kms away.
I’m not sure goalkicker we were going off the rule u stated and thought they would all be aligned to Maroochydore if not playing neafl.Im told it is a new rule however don’t reckon will see much of any of them!

Fair enough I just thought that because he lives with his folks at sunshine beach he would be aligned to Maroochydore being the closest qafl club.Although I think things have changed with that rule as players that don’t make neafl team selection or are coming off injury can play back at their original clubs regardless of whether they are qafl
he goes to Kings college (where I went 20 years ago)

He was Primary listed at Magpies in 2019, so if he is NEAFL listed in 2020 (which he obviously will be) then he retains the alignment. Kind of irrelevant, as we will never see him!

Although Thommo will deny, you would think Harwood and Beams would on $500 minimum considering their resume and what clubs would’ve offered them around Australia?

Not really anyones business, but nobody at the Magpies (including those 2) get anywhere near $500 a game. We were just lucky they live 5 mins up the road and already had strong connections to people involved in the club.

he goes to Kings college (where I went 20 years ago)

He was Primary listed at Magpies in 2019, so if he is NEAFL listed in 2020 (which he obviously will be) then he retains the alignment. Kind of irrelevant, as we will never see him!

Not really anyones business, but nobody at the Magpies (including those 2) get anywhere near $500 a game. We were just lucky they live 5 mins up the road and already had strong connections to people involved in the club.
Fair response Thommo. It would be AFLQs business of course and Id suggest they would have combed these deals with some detail so I'd suggest they'd be all above board with valid employment contracts. Better than having one GC club pres who asked at an open forum about what the repercussions would be if their players were being paid and the president didn't know about it!!

Last edited:
Be interested in the Grange strategy on points. Forget Baxter has his by far largest monetary offer from Grange AND whatever agreement about how often he has to travel for training. On first glance isnt he 6 points? 4 for QAFL level played plus 2 for playing against previous club? The Sandgate guys will be 4 points.

For Palmy Douglas will be 1 point and Stubbs potentially discounted from 5 NEAFL points if he has played enough QAFL in past 3 years.

The irony is the idea of the points cap is for competitive equity. Not sure it's doing that if the teams outside the finals for the past few years can't load up

Could argue that its not allowing for a quick fix. Think its a great rule. Grange won the colts last year - maybe look there which I'm sure they are but lets not get too upset if they cant put together a final 4 side in 2020 suddenly.

If they let noosa players that are on a NEAFL list play for Noosa that means it’s different rules for them to what the Brisbane Div 1 clubs get.

has been the case for a while - major disadvantage for kids living on coast trying to make their way in top level footy and the powers to be are mindful of the travel factor. Kids (U22 I think) on NEAFL lists who didn't get games over the past few years went and played with Maroochy/Noosa/Caloundra if they still lived on coast. That's the context though. if Baulch lives in Bris then he will play for a Bris based club.

I’m not sure goalkicker we were going off the rule u stated and thought they would all be aligned to Maroochydore if not playing neafl.Im told it is a new rule however don’t reckon will see much of any of them!

I think most of these Noosa guys will only look to play games vs Coorparoo this year GK... :)

Could argue that its not allowing for a quick fix. Think its a great rule. Grange won the colts last year - maybe look there which I'm sure they are but lets not get too upset if they cant put together a final 4 side in 2020 suddenly.
Yep. Agree clubs have to be smart and develop their kids, but it's a slow burn. Grange couldn't possibly move 6-7 of their premiership Colts into the senior team and expect to be competitive. As I've said previously on this forum these "equalization" policies perhaps work against just that. Maybe we change the name to "same as' policies

Yep. Agree clubs have to be smart and develop their kids, but it's a slow burn. Grange couldn't possibly move 6-7 of their premiership Colts into the senior team and expect to be competitive. As I've said previously on this forum these "equalization" policies perhaps work against just that. Maybe we change the name to "same as' policies

It should be a slow burn - this invariably leads to sustained success unlike a quick fix. Its obvious that grange have opened the cheque book and good luck to them if they can turn this into on field success. But as you have alluded to the points system will possibly hamstring at some stage. From my calculations Baxter would be around 6pts. That's a lot for a 30+yr old unless he's played decent AFL footy. They will need colts to field a side! But I'm sure they are across this.

Disagree. The equalisation is working as I can guarantee you that Baxter would be playing for one of the GC clubs with out it. But Palmy and us at the Cats couldn’t go that hard due to points and salary constraints.

Personally I don’t think it’s a coincidence that just afterthe measures were put in a low paying club like surfers win a premiership. And this season looks as open as it ever has been with very few guaranteed results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I think its a different Stubbs,,,,could be wrong though ,,, I thought the Stubbs at Mt Gravatt has moved to Perth this season.
Disagree. The equalisation is working as I can guarantee you that Baxter would be playing for one of the GC clubs with out it. But Palmy and us at the Cats couldn’t go that hard due to points and salary constraints.

Personally I don’t think it’s a coincidence that just afterthe measures were put in a low paying club like surfers win a premiership. And this season looks as open as it ever has been with very few guaranteed results.

Agree Premier ,,,
there are so many issues at hand that are challenging for every club to acheive success... Developing your junior base is so important yes, but that alone will not win a club a premiership ,, its about ticking the boxes everywhere else ...its a business these days and u need a blueprint that will sustain for a number of seasons ,,, PBC have done it well ,,,, Albury Tigers have done it very well ..

I hear Daniel dzufer is back on the track at the Roos.He will strengthen them considerably just continues to find the footy and uses it really well.
The doors always open, but its more wishful thinking I reckon. I haven't seen him on the track yet, but there has been talk he may return.

Agree Premier ,,,
there are so many issues at hand that are challenging for every club to acheive success... Developing your junior base is so important yes, but that alone will not win a club a premiership ,, its about ticking the boxes everywhere else ...its a business these days and u need a blueprint that will sustain for a number of seasons ,,, PBC have done it well ,,,, Albury Tigers have done it very well ..
I've already stated previously that clubs need a medium and long term view. As you say Stuyd a junior base alone won't win a senior premiership at QAFL level. The example of Baxter also proposes both ways. From Grange to win him they have to throw the kitchen sink at him. His 6 points are a preventative factor for all clubs. PBC had already loaded up before the points system and therefore pose little issue for them and some now diminishing as they reach the 3rd year and beyond. Those trying to load up to catch up definitely are prevented from doing so. Not bagging PBC. I also think theyve done it really well as are now the benchmark. Trying to bridge the gap will take time as some sleepy strategies of the past 5-6 years finally awaken to the real world as you've stated

Crawley a good pickup, isn't he training with Aspley?

Fabian rumnoured to have tripled his matchies - good on him, was probably criminally underpaid, hes a good player.
Also heard a rumour which I find hard to swallow that Steve Brittain was interested in having a run with Grange again. Surely he's past it. Maybe Judge can confirm or deny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back