QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

going to be an interesting year for clubs and how this is handled.

Lots of costs already spent, but can't be asking players for full registration, unsure on whether all sponsors will pay up, or those that have if they want rebates?

All the apparel is ordered and set for distribution, etc etc

tough out there in volunteer run community clubs, just as its tough everywhere I imagine in the coming weeks.
maybe we play into the months of October and Nov this year and have a short pre season for 2021

Last edited:
We will k

maybe we play into the months of October and Nov this year and have a short pre season for 2021

Its a good idea GK but all depends on grounds available etc I suppose with cricket kicking in and of course if people involved at club land can volunteer their time up until that point. TBH I think the only likely scenario is a reduced season finishing up in late Sept which probably wont coincide with the AFL anymore.

who knows, but there are a few clubs (well all the brisbane QAFL clubs) who don't share their facility with cricket, so the ground is available all year.

Not sure which clubs have big term deposits sitting there for a rainy day though, we put everything into facility upgrades each year!

I doubt any QAFL clubs have big term deposits for a rainy day, important that AFLQ suspend their monthly league fees because it will smash clubs if they don’t

I doubt any QAFL clubs have big term deposits for a rainy day, important that AFLQ suspend their monthly league fees because it will smash clubs if they don’t

Thommo would know for sure, but I'm told that all club Presidents will be attending a meeting next week with AFLQ to discuss this issue and many others associated with the suspension of QAFL competitions.

I can't answer for the GC clubs, but it's probably fair to say that most if not all of the Brisbane-based QAFL clubs are walking a financial tightrope at the best of times.

As a result, AFLQ won't really have much choice but to be reasonable unless they want a few other Brisbane clubs to follow Sandgate out the back door.

While not a great outcome, the financial impact will be mild I expect.

We've modeled it already based on no footy being played, refunding all rego to junior and senior players, and no sponsors paying up or refunding sponsorship. If you then assume we have no fees to pay AFLQ, and hugely reduced overheads due to no training, reduced use of lights, no physio, tape etc then the financial impact is not ideal, but it's not disastrous.

That's based on worst case and I think even if there is zero footy we would retain 60% of sponsorship at least, but would definitely refund all rego.

Net impact when you reduce the biggest costs as well as the biggest revenues is that the position isn't that dire. I'd imagine its the same for many clubs.

What will hurt us is that we've made massive changes to our licensed venue and increased revenues by immeasurable numbers and it all goes out the window now. Hard pill to swallow.

While not a great outcome, the financial impact will be mild I expect.

We've modeled it already based on no footy being played, refunding all rego to junior and senior players, and no sponsors paying up or refunding sponsorship. If you then assume we have no fees to pay AFLQ, and hugely reduced overheads due to no training, reduced use of lights, no physio, tape etc then the financial impact is not ideal, but it's not disastrous.

That's based on worst case and I think even if there is zero footy we would retain 60% of sponsorship at least, but would definitely refund all rego.

Net impact when you reduce the biggest costs as well as the biggest revenues is that the position isn't that dire. I'd imagine its the same for many clubs.

What will hurt us is that we've made massive changes to our licensed venue and increased revenues by immeasurable numbers and it all goes out the window now. Hard pill to swallow.

That's a really good analysis of the situation financially Thommo

How strange was it watching the Richmond vs Carlton game at a empty MCG !!!

Tell you what was ever stranger.......the players tackled bashed and crashed as per usual , hugged and shook hands post game as per usually yet Richo wouldn’t stand next to the players when interviewing them at the intervals and post game!
WTF.....but if a contradiction don’t ya fee?

Tell you what was ever stranger.......the players tackled bashed and crashed as per usual , hugged and shook hands post game as per usually yet Richo wouldn’t stand next to the players when interviewing them at the intervals and post game!
WTF.....but if a contradiction don’t ya fee?

Ablett ,, are watching the Bulldogs vs Pies ,,, wow ,, just isnt there,,, no crowd and very difficult for the players to go 110 %...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now it’s obvious the AFL is in deep doodoo financially will they try and keep extracting fees from local clubs?

AFLQ normally take money out 1st of each month let’s see what they do

So now it’s obvious the AFL is in deep doodoo financially will they try and keep extracting fees from local clubs?

AFLQ normally take money out 1st of each month let’s see what they do

AFL aren’t in financial trouble they’ll survive it. There will be obviously tightening of the belts. They have cash in reserves as well as the collateral of owning Marvel Stadium.
The NRL on the other hand is ****ed

Last edited:
AFL aren’t in financial they’ll survive it. There will be obviously tightening of the belts. They have cash in reserves as well as the collateral of owning Marvel Stadium.
The NRL on the other hand is f’ed

drastic measures today to remain financially viable mind u but yeah the nrl might be hitting ground zero in a couple of months. Agree.

Ablett ,, are watching the Bulldogs vs Pies ,,, wow ,, just isnt there,,, no crowd and very difficult for the players to go 110 %...

Ablett stopped watching Bulldogs I reckon before halftime. There was no crowd but no effort from Doggies!!

First time into the forum .. loads of banter on here which is great ..

Ive followed Queensland footy for almost 23 years . Played with and against some great players . Interested to see who the best players from the Gold coast and Brisbane would be ..

Ok, I'll have a crack at Bris 22. No doubt will cause discussion and probably have missed some.

FB: Trewhella (WG), Frame (M'side), Thomson (S'gate/WG)
HB: Hamill (Mt G), Brittain (WG), Scott (Sher)
C: Kinch (M'side), Neate (Mt G), Evans (M'side/Mt G)
HF: Pope (Sher), Abey (M'side), Carbone (Mt G)
FF: Estall (Mt G), Staker (Sher), Bain (Sher/Mt G)

R: Smith (Mt G)
RR: Kuret (WG)
Ro: Carseldine (Sher)

Int: Mollison (M'side), Overington (S'gate), Hannaford (UQ), Tronc (Mt G)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back