Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
All valid points, but park this aside and tell me this, how do they get into the state in the current climate?

Im not up on the permit process. I imagine a 2 week quarantine at their own, or a clubs expense? But THAT IS why you talk to them! Perhaps they aren't in Victoria right now? What if they come from Albury? for example.. All the more reason the talk to them!

And a wise club is already preparing the list for NEXT season. Id bet Panthers, MT Gravatt, Grange etc are. Mediocrity leaves clues. Telling talent (or not even bloody talking to them) a club isn't interested because its imagined to be complicated, or politically incorrect, is a clue...

Last edited:

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
any club taking on a guy looking for 10 weeks of footy 3 days out from Round 1 is culturally devoid of conscience. these are footy clubs, not franchises.

every club would be preparng their list for next season already, some planning for an exodus of all the guys they accepted with open arms 2 weeks ago, and others solidifying what they already have and looking at realistic targets for 2021.

Amusing you reference Grange, who have been panned for the last 2 pages for getting a points cap increase because they themselves declared themselves mediocre to get it!

I'd bet the Panthers and Mt Gravatt wouldn't recruit from Big footy 3 days out from Round 1 for some guys looking for a kick, because they are both great footy clubs. Don't reckon Surfers or Maroochydoore would either...

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Im not up on the permit process. I imagine a 2 week quarantine at their own, or a clubs expense? But THAT IS why you talk to them! Perhaps they aren't in Victoria right now? What if they come from Albury? for example.. All the more reason the talk to them!

And a wise club is already preparing the list for NEXT season. Id bet Panthers, MT Gravatt, Grange etc are. Mediocrity leaves clues. Telling talent (or not even bloody talking to them) a club isn't interested because its imagined to be complicated, or politically incorrect, is a clue...

I certainly agree that list management is ongoing and 2021 will be front of mind but I agree with Thommo regards how far do you go to win an abridged season of 8 games?

Whilst I accept the perils these VFL players are facing but are you guys arguing that if they can get out of the state this week they are coming up for no $? After doing 14 days iso which is rendering them personally available for 6 games? After each QAFL club has taken several NEAFL players?

In no way shape or form am I a Magpies supporter but Thommo should be congratulated for providing some integrity to the QAFL comp.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is that your thoughts or the whole clubs? Would you need to console with the other key stakeholders as well?

Who are the other key stakeholders??? A coach doesn’t pay the bills. He gets the squad the club can afford. Is where so many clubs go wrong. They consult a coach (vested interest) in their thoughts without considering the impact later on.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I certainly agree that list management is ongoing and 2021 will be front of mind but I agree with Thommo regards how far do you go to win an abridged season of 8 games?

Whilst I accept the perils these VFL players are facing but are you guys arguing that if they can get out of the state this week they are coming up for no $? After doing 14 days iso which is rendering them personally available for 6 games? After each QAFL club has taken several NEAFL players?

In no way shape or form am I a Magpies supporter but Thommo should be congratulated for providing some integrity to the QAFL comp.
Take into account no training for 14 days either.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
You all are missing the point, except perhaps smy1305. Here is an opportunity to privately talk to a couple of young guns regarding what they are looking for for the season and how long they are interested in staying for..

With the QAFL about to become a lot stronger because of the NEAFL being dropped, its likely the spread of talent may not be even across the comp. Those teams without the same influx of NEAFL players have an opportunity to at least talk to some kids who may be up for a move north for a longer period of time.

FFS. QAFL is now stronger. Loyalty to players who cant make the grade anymore will just lead to mediocrity. The clubs that realise the new standard the QAFL will become and act on it, will be the powerhouses going forward.

You may find these blokes don't want much cash as much as just a help up to get established here? Talk to them, whats the harm? Think of next year...

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
If a VFL standard player is genuinely interested in a move to Qld to play in the QAFL, I'm pretty sure that he'll be able to test the waters without having to make an anonymous post on an internet forum.

Why is that? Are they all generic? You have no idea of their circumstance. They may have played 10 VFL games over the past 4 years. You are generalising something that is totally an individual thing. Same as others here. Don't ask, just presume.

Last edited:

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If a VFL standard player is genuinely interested in a move to Qld to play in the QAFL, I'm pretty sure that he'll be able to test the waters without having to make an anonymous post on an internet forum.
Agree. There are 9 QAFL club websites with contact details

Fleet footed

Debutant
Jan 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Who are the other key stakeholders??? A coach doesn’t pay the bills. He gets the squad the club can afford. Is where so many clubs go wrong. They consult a coach (vested interest) in their thoughts without considering the impact later on.
I would have thought a key stakeholder would have been the football dept and the other board members. If a president thinks they are the most important person at the club and doesn't need to consult with others then I think that club would not be very successful (and I just don't mean winning premierships). A coach would surely have to have some input into what they think is in the best interests of their club?? You're right the coach doesn't pay the bills but is held accountable for when things don't go well. Players are usually good at being able to offer opinions on whether or not they think something would work or not. Anyway, let's just be thankful there are games to watch this weekend.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey boys, a bit of a long shot but with the vfl season cancelling myself and a mate are looking to play some footy up north. 22 and 23. There’s obviously a few hurdles to get through and very late notice but would any teams be interested to have a chat?
Hey lads email Steve Russ Morningside Panthers Football Club Football Manager

seniors.football@morningsidepanthers.com.au

Be great to get some more details off you guys

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
You all are missing the point, except perhaps smy1305. Here is an opportunity to privately talk to a couple of young guns regarding what they are looking for for the season and how long they are interested in staying for..

With the QAFL about to become a lot stronger because of the NEAFL being dropped, its likely the spread of talent may not be even across the comp. Those teams without the same influx of NEAFL players have an opportunity to at least talk to some kids who may be up for a move north for a longer period of time.

FFS. QAFL is now stronger. Loyalty to players who cant make the grade anymore will just lead to mediocrity. The clubs that realise the new standard the QAFL will become and act on it, will be the powerhouses going forward.

You may find these blokes don't want much cash as much as just a help up to get established here? Talk to them, whats the harm? Think of next year...

Several clubs, including the Magpies from many reports, have already knocked back multiple NEAFL listed players who would be stars in the QAFL competition (this year and the next). On that basis alone, I don't imagine 3 days out they are going to take some VFL guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qld footy fan

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Several clubs, including the Magpies from many reports, have already knocked back multiple NEAFL listed players who would be stars in the QAFL competition (this year and the next). On that basis alone, I don't imagine 3 days out they are going to take some VFL guys.
How are they even going to get in ?

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would have thought a key stakeholder would have been the football dept and the other board members. If a president thinks they are the most important person at the club and doesn't need to consult with others then I think that club would not be very successful (and I just don't mean winning premierships). A coach would surely have to have some input into what they think is in the best interests of their club?? You're right the coach doesn't pay the bills but is held accountable for when things don't go well. Players are usually good at being able to offer opinions on whether or not they think something would work or not. Anyway, let's just be thankful there are games to watch this weekend.

If you must know, we met as a board specifically in relation to the possibility of an influx of NEAFL players (or VFL or O&M).

We formulated a set policy and got buy in from the senior coaching group.

Without revealing full details, the policy was fairly simple. All Sherwood juniors were welcome back.

Other players who went to NEAFL via Sherwood were also welcome back.

We capped it at 10 total, and stopped there. We steadfastly stuck to an agreed policy despite some very attractive short term opportunities for players presenting themselves to us as an option to play in 2020 only.

So with a policy in place, whether someone outside the club agrees with it or not, no stakeholder is in the dark about decisions and how they are made.

We reached our cap of 10 as per the policy, and no further discussion is required.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you must know, we met as a board specifically in relation to the possibility of an influx of NEAFL players (or VFL or O&M).

Without revealing full details, the policy was fairly simple. All Sherwood juniors were welcome back.

We capped it at 10 total, and stopped there. We steadfastly stuck to an agreed policy despite some very attractive short term opportunities for players presenting themselves to us as an option to play in 2020 only.

So with a policy in place, whether someone outside the club agrees with it or not, no stakeholder is in the dark about decisions and how they are made.

We reached our cap of 10 as per the policy, and no further discussion is required.

I can confirm that Thommo is all over it as we had a conversation several weeks ago about some O&M players that wanted to come up here and Thommo told me exactly what he stated above.

Funny how these blokes weren’t coming before all the footy got canned in Melbourne. If they were long term prospects I’m sure they would have enquired long before now.

As it sits now most QAFL Clubs have abundance of players and some have heavily committed to NEAFL players and are already losing good club players who see writing on the wall.

I hear Carrara have picked up 10+ Broadbeach players and I’m sure that is pretty common across most competitions.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I don't get it with most of you fellas. NEAFL is finished. QAFL is about to get stronger. Yet you ignore that fact and blame 'loyalty for your inaction. What about loyalty to members and supporters? Dont they deserve a competitive side?

Go on, ignore the sudden developments in QAFL footy, don't work to get up to standard, knock back the suddenly available talent, and explain to members and fans next year why your asses are getting kicked. Tell them you were loyal to the past..

Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can confirm that Thommo is all over it as we had a conversation several weeks ago about some O&M players that wanted to come up here and Thommo told me exactly what he stated above.

Funny how these blokes weren’t coming before all the footy got canned in Melbourne. If they were long term prospects I’m sure they would have enquired long before now.

As it sits now most QAFL Clubs have abundance of players and some have heavily committed to NEAFL players and are already losing good club players who see writing on the wall.

I hear Carrara have picked up 10+ Broadbeach players and I’m sure that is pretty common across most competitions.
Think you will find the 10 Broadbeach Players left before pre season even started. Reserves players from 2019.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't get it with most of you fellas. NEAFL is finished. QAFL is about to get stronger. Yet you ignore that fact and blame 'loyalty for your inaction. What about loyalty to members and supporters? Dont they deserve a competitive side?

Go on, ignore the sudden developments in QAFL footy, don't work to get up to standard, knock back the suddenly available talent, and explain to members and fans next year why your asses are getting kicked. Tell them you were loyal to the past..

Exactly and the Neafl will more than likely not be around next year. Get them in now and then keep them next year. Southport want to play at the highest level possible and a lot of their current list would not be on their list next year if they were to play in the VFL for example.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

you don't get it. Just because the NEAFL is done, doesn't mean the NEAFL clubs are, they might be in the QAFL, they might be in some other mystery competition, but if one of their players says "I'd love to play for you in 2020, but I'll be straight back to my home club next year" then its not really short sighted to stick with your own players, its probably the opposite.

Sustainability is important, players with no local connection likely go to highest bidder, we're not making a bid at all. We're not in the paper and on the news telling everyone we're broke and asking for help one minute, then splashing cash on new players the next. We are happy to just get on with it.

Bring on the footy.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
you don't get it. Just because the NEAFL is done, doesn't mean the NEAFL clubs are, they might be in the QAFL, they might be in some other mystery competition, but if one of their players says "I'd love to play for you in 2020, but I'll be straight back to my home club next year" then its not really short sighted to stick with your own players, its probably the opposite.

Sustainability is important, players with no local connection likely go to highest bidder, we're not making a bid at all. We're not in the paper and on the news telling everyone we're broke and asking for help one minute, then splashing cash on new players the next. We are happy to just get on with it.

Bring on the footy.
I like the Pies. Best of luck to you.:thumbsu:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Hi Guys,

AFL Draft Central are expanding their coverage of football, and other sports, around Australia, and are looking for help.

Do you happen to know of any local photographers who follow the QAFL / QAFLW who might just need some exposure? Draft Central are going to do a weekly wrap of the competitions, and they would rather promote a local photographer who might need the extra exposure for a portfolio. Obviously it's not a paid gig and would only be maybe a pic or two a week, but if there's someone up there with a FB page who'd like to send them a couple of pics each week, they could promote them via socials, almost 25k on FB and 5k on Twitter (and some weeks they can chuck em up on Insta too), would be pretty handy. They’ll put a shoutout in the FB group, but in case anyone knows of anyone thought I'd try here first.

If you know anyone, could you contact Pie 4 Life.

Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back