QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee pretty full on but exciting set up I reckon!Just keen on seeing where it leaves lower tiered comps although we have been told the hierarchy in charge would prefer a ten team Comp in the qafl so I suppose it’s out of us and Redlands as I currently se it!
Yes. It does seem like a race of two between Redlands, who still need to make love with Vic Point, and Noosa for the 10th place in QAFL. Still plenty of jostling below depending on Noosa and of course Kenmore had a provisional licence for Div 1.

Aspley still to decide 100% that they're in this top league but I reckon if it adds up they will. Be good for QLD footy imo

Gee pretty full on but exciting set up I reckon!Just keen on seeing where it leaves lower tiered comps although we have been told the hierarchy in charge would prefer a ten team Comp in the qafl so I suppose it’s out of us and Redlands as I currently se it!

Think it will fill the boots of the lower comps - Caloundra comes back in to Div 1 with Kenmore, makes it 9. I think if Noosa was to go up then possibly a south Bris club might look more favourably on coming in - Caloundra to Noosa is 60km - its not a leisurely drive. Just for distance and possible competiveness. MB might even consider in the end. Interesting times

Think it will fill the boots of the lower comps - Caloundra comes back in to Div 1 with Kenmore, makes it 9. I think if Noosa was to go up then possibly a south Bris club might look more favourably on coming in - Caloundra to Noosa is 60km - its not a leisurely drive. Just for distance and possible competiveness. MB might even consider in the end. Interesting times
MB is Moreton Bay? Great complex. May depend on Sandgate rebuild

I dont see a problem with 11 teams in the QAFL. Having a bye is no biggy. A weekend off to go camping/fishing etc, or just to give the body a rest is a positive thing IMO.

I dont see a problem with 11 teams in the QAFL. Having a bye is no biggy. A weekend off to go camping/fishing etc, or just to give the body a rest is a positive thing IMO.

I think most would agree a 10 team comp, play each other twice , traditional final 5 is the best outcome.

Having said that I agree if Redland and Noosa are both able to come in, be competitive based on points and salary cap then I don’t have any big issue with an 11 team comp. Everyone plays 18 games with a couple byes, and just try and structure the fixture so where possible SC and GC teams only play each other once.

someone should have an investigation into why there was an investigation.

Email to clubs today was clear that Cats not over the cap and have been charged with minor admin/lodgement breaches (like late lodgement of a Covid adjusted contract for a guy that played one match). The sort of stuff you would find at every club if you look hard enough.

Club declared every beer and pizza voucher given as awards and still way under.

At the end of Covid lockdown, clubs had no money as no events/sports lunches allowed, sponsors were hit by Covid and it was unclear if spectators would be allowed at games until just before RD 1.

There was a real prospect of virtually no income for the year. Therefore the decision by all clubs to either go amateur or pay token amounts. Cats no different.
Premier I am interested in your take on the Facebook posting on QAFL page about points. Seems to be some tension between Broady & AFLQ. A bit of banter from other clubs players and officials also

I think most would agree a 10 team comp, play each other twice , traditional final 5 is the best outcome.

Having said that I agree if Redland and Noosa are both able to come in, be competitive based on points and salary cap then I don’t have any big issue with an 11 team comp. Everyone plays 18 games with a couple byes, and just try and structure the fixture so where possible SC and GC teams only play each other once.

Think 10 team comp id best fit. There are byes in the year anyway with easter, rep round etc.

Premier I am interested in your take on the Facebook posting on QAFL page about points. Seems to be some tension between Broady & AFLQ. A bit of banter from other clubs players and officials also

Lagging it’s a fair question so I’ll answer.
Basically due to the perceived talent on the Cats list (Morningside and Palmy has plenty of talent too) the local footy world just assume “Broady are paying big money”. It didn’t seem to matter that Sharks capt and Broady junior Andrew Boston and previously aligned Josh Baxter decided against playing at the Cats in favour of M1 travel. We like all clubs were concerned about finances from COVID with events cancelled, sponsors closed, and no guarantee spectators allowed so like all clubs we made this clear to our players , some of which played for nothing (like other clubs)and most on $50 per game

So It came as a massive shock when AFLQ after having never before investigating a QAFL club decided to appoint a paid investigator (in a COVID year when nobody has any money especially the AFL) to go through everything forensically and interview everyone. Knowing that we were way under ( and I mean WAY under) we fully cooperated within hours when the rules allowed for a week to comply.

The lines of questioning upset a number of our players and officials.

Of course once you launch an investigation it looks silly if there’s no findings, so things like a late submission of a COVID adjusted contract for a reserves player that played 1 senior game for fifty bucks ( all declared) all of a sudden was a major breach that we had to answer to.

The whole thing was rather disappointing, problem is it doesn’t matter that emails to clubs and AFLQ statements confirm we were under, simply having an investigation is mud that sticks.

Last edited:
Lagging it’s a fair question so I’ll answer.
Basically due to the perceived talent on the Cats list (Morningside and Palmy has plenty of talent too) the local footy world just assume “Broady are paying big money”. It didn’t seem to matter that Sharks capt and Broady junior Andrew Boston and previously aligned Josh Baxter decided against playing at the Cats in favour of M1 travel. We like all clubs were concerned about finances from COVID with events cancelled, sponsors closed, and no guarantee spectators allowed so like all clubs we made this clear to our players , some of which played for nothing (like other clubs)and most on $50 per game

So It came as a massive shock when AFLQ after having never before investigating a QAFL club decided to appoint a paid investigator (in a COVID year when nobody has any money especially the AFL) to go through everything forensically and interview everyone. Knowing that we were way under ( and I mean WAY under) we fully cooperated within hours when the rules allowed for a week to comply.

The lines of questioning upset a number of our players and officials.

Of course once you launch an investigation it looks silly if there’s no findings, so things like a late submission of a COVID adjusted contract for a reserves player that played 1 senior game for fifty bucks ( all declared) all of a sudden was a major breach that we had to answer to.

The whole thing was rather disappointing, problem is it doesn’t matter that emails to clubs and AFLQ statements confirm we were under, simply having an investigation is mud that sticks.

Might be disappointing 2010 but from my understanding it takes more than a bitter phone call to HQ. It requires a number of complaints from a variety of sources. Bottom line the club was cleared. It takes into account coaching monies as well and pretty comprehensive incl 3rd party arrangements. It’s good to know for everyone sake that they do investigate.and I’m not sure mud will stick in this case bc the process sounds really thorough. If it was just tokenism then it would raise more questions imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either do I.

In fact, I reckon we would prefer it. Bit of consultation would be great.

Especially when one of the potential entrants has a list built off juniors from the clubs in this comp.

Either do I.

In fact, I reckon we would prefer it. Bit of consultation would be great.

Especially when one of the potential entrants has a list built off juniors from the clubs in this comp.

Redlands?

That may be true. To be competitive they will have to draw good players from somewhere. New clubs provide opportunity for players who may think they should be in the top grade at their current club, and may see the new mob as an opportunity? I understand that. Dont die wondering.

I will say though, Victoria Point Sharks have a LOT of ex juniors running round at other clubs, in Juniors and in the QAFL. They would have been a good established, competitive club had they not gone the NEAFL route.

Just a question; What team in the QAFL had the least amount of NEAFL imports this year, and comparatively finished the best on the ladder? Or, which team would be expected to do better once all the NEAFL imports have dispersed? Grange?

Last edited:
Maroochy had one - young Jai Larkins that played between Sandgate/Redlands in 2019 . Was previously a junior at Roos. Otherwise nobody came from NEAFL. Like 2010 said, maroochy easily.

Drank out of a premiership cup. It’s one thing to get the players it’s another to get them playing together and they did that. So enjoy the spoils of victory. What happens next season is yet to be seen but they may stay after enjoying themselves.
I have to agree on the sentiment of the first line. Too many sooky lala comments on here about recruits etc and swinging dicks contests about who produces the best juniors. Like proud parents some clubs supporters on here seem to suggest recruitment is a big dirty word. There is a salary cap and points cap. It is there to prevent or at least limit mass recruitment. It is very noble and will always be the preferred option to create your senior players from your own juniors, and every single QAFL does that to a large degree imo, as they should. But stating recruiting quality players whether from NEAFL, Victoria or the club next door is somehow poor management of your club it is simply a badge of honour, as FleetFooted stated, to prevent your club from drinking from the premiership cup.
All clubs should be planning their junior pathways, recruitment, improvement in off field programs etc.
Each club could name 10 excellent juniors. Move on.

I'm not sure why anyone would still be worried about what happened this year, the race has been run and won and no rules were found to have been broken in the process.

Regardless of where they came from this year's recruits will only matter now if they stay and play in the QAFL, and despite any post-Covid hangover it's hard to see too many guys who supposedly played for the love of the game, to have a run with their mates or the old club jumper this year doing so next year if they have higher aspirations and/or get a better offer from elsewhere.

At the moment I don't think any club can do too much specific list management work until four critical questions are answered about the 2021 season, namely:
  • which Qld club/s are playing in the new second tier league;
  • by extension, which clubs will be playing in the QAFL;
  • what the QAFL salary and points caps will be.
Hopefully all of these question will be answered pretty quickly after this weekend's GF, but you'd have to think that whatever happens the QAFL comp will be stronger and more interesting than if Covid had never happened.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back