Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Any news on Sherwood candidates? Hearing Adrian Fletcher applied again for gig?

All other coaches reappointed for 2021?
Wow! Serious CV right there. Has a 16yo son in the academy who may or not be ready for some senior footy. Would possibly bring some Coorparoo boys with him.

Last edited:

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Be a good person to have coaching at QAFL level.
Certainly has the experience. Played at lot of games at AFL level, kicked so neat, even the umpires would mark his kicks!

Coched the LIons academy u18s, coached a NAB Tasmanian side (correct me if im wrong).

I listened to some of the stuff he said to the u18s academy boys on youtube. One thing he seems to repeat is 'make your team mate a better player'. (by sharing the ball, making good decisions etc).

Others here may know him better. A club coach needs to be more than just a game day coach. He has to get along with everyone and have people buy into his brand. But as far as game day goes, he obviously has a clue.

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coached in the aFL at Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon. From line coaching to development coaching to senior assistant roles.

They allegedly reckoned they had him last year and it never eventuated, so I doubt he would be coaching at this level next year - asking price would be way too high for QAFL footy.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Coached in the aFL at Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon. From line coaching to development coaching to senior assistant roles.

They allegedly reckoned they had him last year and it never eventuated, so I doubt he would be coaching at this level next year - asking price would be way too high for QAFL footy.
Currently at Coorparoo, his son is 17yo next year and is in Academy and no doubt has draft aspirations. I think the lad had a one or two games for Coorparoo Kings seniors this year. One would think its time to move to a QAFL club and may inspire Adrian to align/coach in the QAFL?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Currently at Coorparoo, his son is 17yo next year and is in Academy and no doubt has draft aspirations. I think the lad had a one or two games for Coorparoo Kings seniors this year. One would think its time to move to a QAFL club and may inspire Adrian to align/coach in the QAFL?

Not sure he would want to coach his own son in that year to be fair.
I knew him as the State 16's coach (pretty sure he never coached the Lions Academy side) and he was the Allies coach as well plus worked as the high performance manager of Qld footy (or whatever the pointy end person was who over saw all the U18/U16 programs). Was a typical country bloke with great affability to both players and staff. Just a good footy person who it is good to have back in the state and Im sure Barry & co utilise his knowledge a bit down there at the Kings.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hearing Vicky Point/Redlands very active already on the recruiting and snared a few from Kenmore and Sherwood that originally played NEAFL.

Will definitely be spending the full $80K cap.

Be interesting to see how points set up if they take blokes back that were original Sherwood juniors like Johnson, Franks etc? Will they be hit with loading like every other club or given dispensation around the points.

Fun and games have begun for 2021 season by the looks.

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Redlands or whatever they call themselves this week are able to retain players from QAFL clubs without them being rated as at least 4 points, then there will be riots. Just can't happen.

Reckon points cap will be around 50 or thereabouts, so they should be able to retain them all on 4 points anyway as the big guns like Hammelman, R.Williams, Oxley etc will surely have a crack at playing higher levels.

21George

Debutant
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Nice player but not sure he's at that level

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure where all this info comes from, but working with a number of exceptional candidates. Very happy with where we are at in that space.

Clubs recruiting before points cap, salary cap and competition structure are known is interesting to say the least, clubs must get given information at different times or somehting.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I heard $200.000 from a coach

200k is the cap for VFL or whatever they call the new comp with Sharks and Aspley. Down from about 350k. SANFL and WAFL are the same.
Most leagues around the country salary cap in about half or 2/3 of what it was pre Covid.
QAFL should be the same which would be 40-50k

Agree it is interesting and risky recruiting players before caps are known

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree it is interesting and risky recruiting players before caps are known

especially with the numbers flying around. Hopefully the points cap is the equaliser its meant to me. Imagine sending one of your juniors to a club, then have them play against you as a 1 pointer for years of service in another competition :rolleyes:

Mudsticks

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure parents coaching their kids is a great idea

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
especially with the numbers flying around. Hopefully the points cap is the equaliser its meant to me. Imagine sending one of your juniors to a club, then have them play against you as a 1 pointer for years of service in another competition :rolleyes:

So my mail is right Thommo? Don’t think Sherwood will be only club effected by this decision.

Funny how the leniency from headquarters works for certain clubs.

Think if Redlands has produced enough juniors over the journey why they should be given bonus leg up for other clubs juniors that they sent to their club to play at a higher level.

Surely somewhere in the middle would be a fairer result at least rather than 1 point?

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would think any player that went from Mt Gravatt, Sherwood or Morningside to Redland would be rated 4 points at a minimum, whether they've been at Redland 5 minutes or 5 years.

Don't think they should get the 2 point penalty, just be rated according to where they are recruited from.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Still think this needs a QAFL 2021 thread. All the talk is next season. FFS lets end 2020!

Last edited:
Back