QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Would think any player that went from Mt Gravatt, Sherwood or Morningside to Redland would be rated 4 points at a minimum, whether they've been at Redland 5 minutes or 5 years.

Don't think they should get the 2 point penalty, just be rated according to where they are recruited from.

AFLQ definitely have to work through all this. Gotta grade players appropriately so Redland can be competitive but at the same time not have too much of a leg up beating up on clubs using juniors from existing Brisbane QAFL clubs

AFLQ definitely have to work through all this. Gotta grade players appropriately so Redland can be competitive but at the same time not have too much of a leg up beating up on clubs using juniors from existing Brisbane QAFL clubs
You would think so. But sometimes lobbying from.those with their own self interest wins too.
However the right place for Redlands in 2021 is in QAFL

A lot of Juniors have come out of Victoria Point. Many shifted to other clubs in junior years due to a variety of reasons. Some of which were just parents leaving the area. Some were just parents doing what parents do, change clubs.

Personally i think some geographical consideration of where a QAFL player lives should be brought into account. If a QAFL player lives in Redlands but plays for Mt Gravatt because Redlands have no QAFL side, he should be able to go 'home' with no penalty.

Also if the player began there as a junior. Not just played as a junior, but BEGAN there. (unless they didnt begin in Redlands because their family moved from another league. ie; GC or interstate as a junior BUT played juniors for Redlands, but went to QAFL club at u18s age).

No penalty for leaving their current QAFL club to return for the above reasons.

Give Redlands these compensations, Just for this 1st season.

My 2c.

Last edited:

Any news on Sherwood candidates? Hearing Adrian Fletcher applied again for gig?

All other coaches reappointed for 2021?

Well done Thommo on being awarded Life Membership at Sherwood at Presentation night.
Well deserved mate for the incredible hard work you have done for your club👏👏👏

Also congratulations on appointment of Fletcher as new senior coach, think will be good get for the club.

A lot of Juniors have come out of Victoria Point. Many shifted to other clubs in junior years due to a variety of reasons. Some of which were just parents leaving the area. Some were just parents doing what parents do, change clubs.

Personally i think some geographical consideration of where a QAFL player lives should be brought into account. If a QAFL player lives in Redlands but plays for Mt Gravatt because Redlands have no QAFL side, he should be able to go 'home' with no penalty.

Also if the player began there as a junior. Not just played as a junior, but BEGAN there. (unless they didnt begin in Redlands because their family moved from another league. ie; GC or interstate as a junior BUT played juniors for Redlands, but went to QAFL club at u18s age).

No penalty for leaving their current QAFL club to return for the above reasons.

Give Redlands these compensations, Just for this 1st season.

My 2c.

if a bloke played the requisite number of games as a junior with VP (or Redlands) then it doesnt matter what they have done since or where they come from, they will be a 1 pt player on return. Could have played 300 games at AFL level and will still be 1 pt if they played the 50 games as a junior..

if a bloke played the requisite number of games as a junior with VP (or Redlands) then it doesnt matter what they have done since or where they come from, they will be a 1 pt player on return. Could have played 300 games at AFL level and will still be 1 pt if they played the 50 games as a junior..
Spot on

I suspected the Fletcher to Sherwood rumour was right. Sherwood is also a Wests bulldogs pathway and they have some good kids moving up from u16s to u18 age next season. Some may choose to play in the QAFL next season instead of staying at Wests in the 'Maroon' u18s comp. Some boys from Coorparoo will probably go with Fletcher as they probably should align with a QAFL side being in the academy etc. Expect Pies Colts to be more competitive next season and some 17yo boys making their QAFL debut for Sherwood.

Hey fellas. What are QAFL seniors rules regarding footy boots? Can screw in nylon cleats be used or is it moulded soles only? I cant find it in rules. AFL recently released a statement saying metal cleats cant be used but screw ins can (nylon/plastic). Is that the rule for QAFL as well or is it moulded cleats across the board?

Last edited:
If a kid moves to Sherwood to play colts footy vs staying at Cooparoo to play senior footy then he is getting poor advice.
Honestly im not fan of 17yos playing vs men. Sure kids do it. But i think the risk (of injury) vs (what?) reward isnt worth it. I guess it comes down to a case by case analysis.

Our most likely draftee from QLD this season Blake Coleman played 5 reserve grade games and 10 colts games in 2019 at 17yo. That sounds about right to me for a player of his size and class. He didnt have to play 1st grade at all at 17yo to get drafted at 18. Mostly played colts at 17yo..

Last edited:
PBC on the hunt for a new senior coach as Jess Sinclair has stood down due to family commitments

Expect Pies Colts to be more competitive next season and some 17yo boys making their QAFL debut for Sherwood.

In the past 5 years our Colts have been 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 6th and in each of those years we've had 4-5 playing 1s and 2s as well.

I'd say we've been reasonably competitive in that space, and this year we probably under achieved but had truckloads of injuries and several playing 1s.

As far as 17 year olds making their debut, if they're good enough they will get picked. Off the top of my head, in the last 5 years we have debuted at least 5 x 16 years olds. (Copland, Easton, Fletcher, Franks & Scott off the top of my head). At least 5 or 6 more 17 year olds and too many teenagers to even consider counting. We debuted a 17 year old in this years prelim final.

If a kid moves to Sherwood to play colts footy vs staying at Cooparoo to play senior footy then he is getting poor advice.

Agree. But if a Colts age kid moves to us ( or any other QAFL club) and plays a mix of Colts, Reserves and Seniors its probably not a bad move, compared to senior footy at a lower level.

PBC on the hunt for a new senior coach as Jess Sinclair has stood down due to family commitments
Judging by the applicants we had, they will have no trouble finding a very good candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the past 5 years our Colts have been 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 6th and in each of those years we've had 4-5 playing 1s and 2s as well.

I'd say we've been reasonably competitive in that space, and this year we probably under achieved but had truckloads of injuries and several playing 1s.

As far as 17 year olds making their debut, if they're good enough they will get picked. Off the top of my head, in the last 5 years we have debuted at least 5 x 16 years olds. (Copland, Easton, Fletcher, Franks & Scott off the top of my head). At least 5 or 6 more 17 year olds and too many teenagers to even consider counting. We debuted a 17 year old in this years prelim final.

Agree. But if a Colts age kid moves to us ( or any other QAFL club) and plays a mix of Colts, Reserves and Seniors its probably not a bad move, compared to senior footy at a lower level.

Yeah but none of that can be guaranteed of course. Lets use the example CT gave and assume the kid is playing some senior footy at Coorparoo and moves to Sherwood to find he is playing colts with no guarantee of playing higher if he struggles for form - thats a major backwards step imo. I agree senior footy for kids needs to be case by case but nearly without fail it is better getting them into senior footy (esp in Qld) earlier rather than later. Doesnt mean they have to stay in senior footy unless their form demands it but from a development point of view better. QFA div 1 isnt rubbish footy and the coaching isnt necessarily better when going up levels (nice fallacy perpetuated by those involved at higher levels...). I've seen some damn ordinary coaches at Colts level in particular at QAFL level with some bloody good senior coaches in Div 1.

Totally agree. Case by case basis. Kid leaves Div 1 seniors for QAFL club and doesn't get a senior start and plays Colts, that's a backward step for sure - but he didn't leave to play Colts backed himself to play seniors and may have not been far away.

Also, would expect most Div 1 senior coaches to be very good, however match day senior coach is just part of the puzzle. As an example, young defenders at Sherwood last few years have had Justin Clarke as their development coach. An incredible resource.

Not anymore though, just announced as the latest Austtalian Rhodes Scholar and hes off to Oxford Uni!

Today I received a whispher that both Southport and Aspley have had their nominations to join the AFL 2nd tier comp rejected !!!!!!!
I find it hard to believe Southport would miss out. But who knows. The AFL is cutting costs all over the place.

Yes have heard the same thing.Have also heard in past day or two that redlands/Victoria point will play division 1 and Aspley heading towards re entering the qafl.And a ten team competition at qafl level is preferred.
[/QUOTE]
Can you confirm the big signing at noosa the ex blue Matthew Kreuzer

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back