QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

why would it be good to be an academy player?

they will be playing acedmy stuff, not this comp. They might be top ups for AFL clubs reserves like always, so thats not different - they will be just further off the pace than they were before.

Apparently the AFL teams reserves up here will be signing mature age players as well -22-26 year olds, so QAFL clubs probably might lost a few players to this and don't even know it yet

Bc a kid in the academy who snags a game for aspleyor Southport or for either one of the afl teams will possibly play Richmond or Collingwood or Geelong rather than Sydney Uni. In a comp that will be highly rated. Play well here and u r ahead of the kids in TAC.
Makes sense the afl clubs will be looking for extra 24-26 yr olds. Need to fill the list to compete with half decent players. Might even get a mature age recruit come 5hrough. Their cap is only a $100k though.

16 games will mean even with a conference system you dont play every team the same number of times.

What will probably happen is Aspley/Southport will probably only face Lions/Suns reserves from the AFL clubs and basically play the remainder against stand alones, not because it's any cheaper on the AFL who are playing for the flights, but so the competition can basically be a suck up for the AFL reserves teams to keep playing "quality" opposition that supposedly only AFL reserves/aligned clubs can provide. The aim then is to push particularly the Victorian stand alone clubs into the 3rd tier giving total control of development of elite footy back to the clubs via their reserves.

What will probably happen is Aspley/Southport will probably only face Lions/Suns reserves from the AFL clubs and basically play the remainder against stand alones, not because it's any cheaper on the AFL who are playing for the flights, but so the competition can basically be a suck up for the AFL reserves teams to keep playing "quality" opposition that supposedly only AFL reserves/aligned clubs can provide. The aim then is to push particularly the Victorian stand alone clubs into the 3rd tier giving total control of development of elite footy back to the clubs via their reserves.
Havent they already got control of all the elite kids coming through via academies? Dont the stand alone clubs provide extra opportunity for those that didnt quite make, or stay in the system?

I think it adds interest in non VFL states for reserves grade footy, and gives more opportunities for 'Elite' footy players in NSW and QLD.

Lastly, i imagine the '3rd tier" group you are suggesting wont be officially called such but through the draw. The stand alone clubs would see through it pretty quick, and if it cant be shown to be a financial decision the stand alone clubs would see through it pretty quick.

More likely IMO that the draw will be geographically centric in case of further covid dramas in the near future.

Last edited:

I see Noosa are holding a EGM this Thursday to put to members whether to accept the offer of a licence to enter QAFL. Do you have the offer NB or are the committee just very confident of it coming soon?

I see Noosa are holding a EGM this Thursday to put to members whether to accept the offer of a licence to enter QAFL. Do you have the offer NB or are the committee just very confident of it coming soon?
Have not received offer yet bud and yes are pretty confident after a pretty positive pitch to headquarters.Just want to be ready regardless and make sure major stakeholders(sponsors,coterie groups etc) are on the same page

My mail is that qafl presidents voted unanimously to have a 10 team comp in 2021. The make up of which they don’t really mind who the extra club will be. The problem is the aflq powers sound like they want to take the easier option of allowing 11 teams and hedge their bet so let both Noosa and Redlands in. Not sure why the counselling of club presidents is done if the preferred aflq decision is going to be made regardless. Just lip service.

And you get a fair bit of interest at the back end of the year in QAFL footy for clubs striving to stay up rather than just going through the motions and accepting their year has been ordinary.
Sounds good in theory. What happens if a club like Surfers Paradise this year fall abit the year after a premiership. Are you saying that in 10 months time it is possible Morningside drops to QFA Div 1? And if say Coorparoo get a run on from say 4th and win QFA Div1 they automatically go to QAFL?
On this occasion SMY I reckon you are simplifying it too much but I do like the ideas of different thoughts on maintaining a high standard right through the season

Sounds good in theory. What happens if a club like Surfers Paradise this year fall abit the year after a premiership. Are you saying that in 10 months time it is possible Morningside drops to QFA Div 1? And if say Coorparoo get a run on from say 4th and win QFA Div1 they automatically go to QAFL?
On this occasion SMY I reckon you are simplifying it too much but I do like the ideas of different thoughts on maintaining a high standard right through the season

not sure whether promotion/ relegation is a great idea in QLD tbh. You can end up with the situation like park ridge a few years ago spent a few $$$, won a premiership, got promoted, ran out of $$$, lost a few players and then had to drop down 2-3 divisions to a Friday night comp.

any team to be considered for QAFL in my view needs decent facilities, to be financially viable, have a sustainable opportunity for a talent pathway (colts and access to local junior clubs for example) as well as on field results.

Likewise I wouldn’t be turfing out a team on the basis of 1 bad year.

not sure whether promotion/ relegation is a great idea in QLD tbh. You can end up with the situation like park ridge a few years ago spent a few $$$, won a premiership, got promoted, ran out of $$$, lost a few players and then had to drop down 2-3 divisions to a Friday night comp.

any team to be considered for QAFL in my view needs decent facilities, to be financially viable, have a sustainable opportunity for a talent pathway (colts and access to local junior clubs for example) as well as on field results.

Yeah disagree. Make clubs work each year rather than cherry picking. Salary cap and points system obviously prevent clubs trying to buy a premiership.
No one has a right to play at qafl level, think that’s pretty arrogant to assume so. If surfers or Broadbeach or god forbid morningside ended up on the bottom then go back, regroup, win the div 1 premiership and come back up. You don’t fluke a premiership and yes, a red hot favourite could be beaten on the last day butvso be it. We like to disparage the “everyone wins a prize” attitude at junior level but then apply it to senior level. If you want qafl footy to remain a high standard then the best 10 current sides should be playing in it. Not a club trying to “get there”.
Facilities should have bugger all to do with it. Too much made of this. Is a red herring. Is irrelevant to standard of footy. Redlands for gods sake had opposition sides bunkering down in a container for a long while. Didn’t matter an ounce to the standard of footy.
Qld footy not overly different to many areas of Australia at the upper tiers. Plenty of rubbish grounds/facilities in ammos and best country/metro comps in vic.

Park ridge scenario is exception rather than rule imo. Wouldn’t happen now with points/ cap in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure anyone has a divine right to play qafl lagging. The scenarios you paint could occur but probably only a 5% chance of actually occurring.

I think they are going alright, looking at the teams by year on merit. Also agree with 11 teams as the weekend or 2 off during the season is good for everyone in a long season.

Dont agree with anyone overruling the vote of clubs. It is a corporate owned sport though you do realise.. lower management dont make decisions unless told they can...

Relegation/promotion cant be an automatic thing. Lists change off season, clubs struggle for cash or find more money. Clubs strong this year might not be next year and vice versa.

Last edited:
2 of 3 years you had massive system failures with promotion and relegation.

Fairy’s at the bottom of the garden and AFLQ staffers believe the cap and points will keep everyone in check

Premier far from right there mate. We didn’t run out of money and would have more in bank than most clubs I reckon.

And lost no recruits when we went back to Friday Night. Our issue was more about not being ready as a club with playing depth to compete at DIv 1 and playing on a school oval.

Let’s get that straight mate. And Overington, Cestor, Taylor etc still at club because they enjoy it.

But agree that QAFL should be kept as is and unless a club like Maroochydore keep knocking on door and meet all the criteria then include them.

promotion/relegation wouldn't work due to the hub n spoke nature of qld footy.

A club could have one bad year and be relegated and it ruins the entire pathway for a region.

promotion/relegation wouldn't work due to the hub n spoke nature of qld footy.

A club could have one bad year and be relegated and it ruins the entire pathway for a region.
Yes, its important to be a destination club to attract kids with talent as they get serious in the late juniors. It provides a pathway to senior footy at the top level of club footy. There has to be more consideration to drop or elevate a club beyond just the ladder at the end of the season.

Drop a team to div1 and suddenly the club finds itself not a destination club and loses its attraction, which in turn puts the club in a worse position. One could ruin a club that way.

Last edited:
Not sure anyone has a divine right to play qafl lagging. The scenarios you paint could occur but probably only a 5% chance of actually occurring.
I agree no club has a devine right to play QAFL but I think it way too simplistic to have an automatic promotion/relegation arrangement. Whilst you rightly state facilities alone are not a sole factor but couple that with budgets, volunteers, junior programs, travel factors (imagine if Bryon Bay won Div 1 when borders reopened!!!) etc plus what happens when the tide turns and somehow the Brisbane clubs get an advantage over the Gold Coast clubs like they currently do with council spends on ground and suddenly there is a swag of Brisbane clubs strong and the Gold Coast regions drops off or whatever.
I reckon have it exactly how it is now and clubs bid for the right to be in the State League. Maroochydore & Noosa sit comfortable now to move up whereas potentially disaster if they went early. Beneath QAFL it has some merit for consideration

Would be expecting that Noosa be granted a license and Victoria Point follow their natural trajectory into Div 1, while Redland cease to exist.

When 2 teams are ready to go up, then they make it a 12 team comp.

2 of 3 years you had massive system failures with promotion and relegation.

Fairy’s at the bottom of the garden and AFLQ staffers believe the cap and points will keep everyone in check

When was promo/relegation in place? I cant remember that ever being the case?

Yeah I think the points system is easy to regulate, cap not so easy but at least there is something in place for people to be aware of and the consequence will be severe I've heard.

Would be expecting that Noosa be granted a license and Victoria Point follow their natural trajectory into Div 1, while Redland cease to exist.

When 2 teams are ready to go up, then they make it a 12 team comp.

Think we will find 10 teams will always be the preferred - there are already 2 byes in the regular season with easter and rep rounds. Not sure you need any more.

Yes, its important to be a destination club to attract kids with talent as they get serious in the late juniors. It provides a pathway to senior footy at the top level of club footy. There has to be more consideration to drop or elevate a club beyond just the ladder at the end of the season.

Drop a team to div1 and suddenly the club finds itself not a destination club and loses its attraction, which in turn puts the club in a worse position. One could ruin a club that way.

For some reason it works really well in other parts of Aust. Clubs that were strong holds in metro Melb in the 80's and 90's are now in Div 3 whereas clubs that didnt even exist play premier league. As soon as you start mandating certain clubs have a right to stay in a competition then you dilute that comp in due course. Destination clubs arent necessarily about what comp clubs play in, more attractive is coaching, environment and facilities (coupled with remuneration and possible job opportunities).

Facilities in QLD are driven by who can get a grant at the right time near an election, not by how well the club operates.

In fact, if you look at the biggest upgrades/grants and best facilities in the Brisbane region, they are mostly held by clubs who got themselves into so much strife due to poor management and performance, the clubs nearly folded before the giants grants came along and rescued them (not including Redcliffe in that, good club, new facility well deserved!)

Caboolture, Pine Rivers, Moggill, Kenmore etc have (or will have) facilities the envy of most QAFL/Div 1 clubs, and all done via massive grants the well run clubs could only dream of!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back