QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

without the innuendo and rumour (yes, I am guilty of this all the time) genuinely how many of the Premiership 22 do you think Morningside have retained? (Same goes for the cats GF 22)

My best guess would be 5 or 6. Thats a fairly decent hole to fill, history suggests they will fill it - but probably not to the same level.

My ladder:

Labrador
Maroochydore
Redland
Sherwood
PBC
Broadbeach
Noosa
Mt Gravatt
Morningside
Grange
Surfers

Pretty bullish on that top 3, reckon you probably through a blanket over 4-9, while I feel Grange and Surfers will struggle again.

If the VFL is cancelled, the competition gets blown wide open - but would think that much like last year, all the alignments will be blown up and players can negotiate from a position of being available full-time.

I do like the look of Labrador, Pearce Hanley is the best player this competition has had in 10 years and they have good talls and have recruited well to support the big guns.

Miller I’m wondering if you still think the grand finalists from last year will finish as low?

I still think the Panthers will miss the finals. I think will struggle one the VFL aligned players return.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yes Morningside have lost plenty and not gained a lot . They will still field a competitive side and have the right coach in Clinton Watts to develop the side its young players and game plans.
What surprised me is Palmy ,,, a totally different team list from last season so they to have lost heaps.
I think both clubs will be in a battle with 3 or 4 other clubs to make the finals, l

Miller I’m wondering if you still think the grand finalists from last year will finish as low?

Not sure who Broadbeach get back this week from Southport but you would think Boston and Nutting won’t be there as playing VFL.

Should be great test for Morningside young brigade again and see where they sit amongst the big boys.

If they back up last weeks effort will be cracking game💪

Not sure who Broadbeach get back this week from Southport but you would think Boston and Nutting won’t be there as playing VFL.

Should be great test for Morningside young brigade again and see where they sit amongst the big boys.

If they back up last weeks effort will be cracking game💪

Boston and Nutting should play for the Sharks on a regular basis onw eould think but thats not a certainty as the Sharks have recruited 6 or 7 VFL players ... this will not be a walk in side come selection.
Also one must recognise the Panthers win over Palmy on the weekend was against a side that are no where ner the playing list of last season

Boston and Nutting should play for the Sharks on a regular basis onw eould think but thats not a certainty as the Sharks have recruited 6 or 7 VFL players ... this will not be a walk in side come selection.
Also one must recognise the Panthers win over Palmy on the weekend was against a side that are no where ner the playing list of last season

Not disagreeing about Palmy but Morningside also had 15 new faces from last years GF side as well, so I thought it was a fair effort with huge new influx of kids.

Definitely a huge step up and challenge this week but I think it’s exciting for competition when you see all these sides with young kids coming through.

Not disagreeing about Palmy but Morningside also had 15 new faces from last years GF side as well, so I thought it was a fair effort with huge new influx of kids.

Definitely a huge step up and challenge this week but I think it’s exciting for competition when you see all these sides with young kids coming through.

Dont forget Palmy are in a similiar situation. A vastly different line up to last year

Jeffrey, Colenso, Dale (?) as a start.

I think many games during the year are going to be impacted by VFL players dropping down. Look at the Broadbeach game with Nutting kicking 5.

Think most clubs will have 2-3 VFL players most weeks you would think? Both Aspley and Southport will have 18 players available to drop back pending injuries. Think Palmy get a nice influx this week

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

overestimated Palmy probably. Time will tell, think the comp could be a bit uneven this year.

Compromised by making the alignment process free agency and who is available seems like a lottery. Southport being allowed to use QAFL just to run 2 stars into fitness in Boston and Nutting is paying no respect to our local state league competition.

overestimated Palmy probably. Time will tell, think the comp could be a bit uneven this year.

Compromised by making the alignment process free agency and who is available seems like a lottery. Southport being allowed to use QAFL just to run 2 stars into fitness in Boston and Nutting is paying no respect to our local state league competition.

Yeah tend to agree - the QAFL was the last bastion of uncompromised tier 2 footy but now is a dumping ground for list players who don't get a gameat NEAFL/VFL level. Think its going to have to be carefully managed to prevent manipulation. Not sure all coaches will open arms lovingly for a handful of players to be coming in and out each week through Aspley/Southport whims. Can be incredibly disruptive.

On the Gold Coast to my knowledge no player changed alignments due to free agency. Boston and nutting both Broadbeach juniors.

availability of Neafl/vfl and academy players has long been a bit of a lottery in this comp and will continue to be. Young 17 year old Uwland debuted for the Cats Sat, did well and is now playing VFL maybe for the rest of the year who knows.

yes of course as it turned out Nutting and Boston both coming off injury and very limited pre season turned out to be great contributors on the day. Labrador chose to play Leigh Osbourne in the reserves due to similar limited pre season which of course is their right and they got decent service from their other sharks boys.

pretty much Miller last year you were banging on about clubs getting neafl boys in ruining their clubs - players leaving as a result , stuffing up your club going forward and you made particular point of the grand finalists. So of course you predict a big fall for both- it’s your story.

If the Cats and Morningside both finish in the bottom half of the ladder this year as you predicted I’ll be first to acknowledge.
Just Won’t happen.

Last edited:
On the Gold Coast to my knowledge no player changed alignments due to free agency. Boston and nutting both Broadbeach juniors.

availability of Neafl/vfl and academy players has long been a bit of a lottery in this comp and will continue to be. Young 17 year old Uwland debuted for the Cats Sat, did well and is now playing VFL maybe for the rest of the year who knows.

yes of course as it turned out Nutting and Boston both coming off injury and very limited pre season turned out to be great contributors on the day. Labrador chose to play Leigh Osbourne in the reserves due to similar limited pre season which of course is their right and they got decent service from their other sharks boys.

pretty much Miller last year you were banging on about clubs getting neafl boys in ruining their clubs - players leaving as a result , stuffing up your club going forward and you made particular point of the grand finalists. So of course you predict a big fall for both- it’s your story.

If the Cats and Morningside both finish in the bottom half of the ladder this year as you predicted I’ll be first to acknowledge.
Just Won’t happen.
Must be really hard to get used to though 2010 -obviously big difference when it is juniors coming back but attitude is king and if a bloke was to waltz in like the mayor and started barking orders (remembering this bloke has probably been omitted) then it must be a tough situation?

Just Won’t happen.

Didn't like the NEAFL arrangement before COVID but understood it and the need for it, then felt last years QAFL was a joke as a result of them all flooding back in and forcing clubs to make cultural calls like that.

Don't like it this year due to the free agency nature of it, among many other reasons.

Also think there should be limits on how they can be used, almost like core lists in junior footy. Nutting and Boston are broady juniors, but they are legitimate walk up starters at Southport - to play Round 1 in QAFL simply because their VFL team has a bye compromises the competition.

Didn't like the NEAFL arrangement before COVID but understood it and the need for it, then felt last years QAFL was a joke as a result of them all flooding back in and forcing clubs to make cultural calls like that.

Don't like it this year due to the free agency nature of it, among many other reasons.

Also think there should be limits on how they can be used, almost like core lists in junior footy. Nutting and Boston are broady juniors, but they are legitimate walk up starters at Southport - to play Round 1 in QAFL simply because their VFL team has a bye compromises the competition.

Bit of a miserable campaigner aren’t you

Won’t happen very often, players of that calibre coming back to influence results.Just wiseguys asking for a favour and having it granted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back