QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the VFL comp is officially a joke. Players getting loaned to other clubs left right and centre. I think about 10 Swans players are playing for Giants and Essendon.

Wilson Barry is an emergency for Brisbane Lions and Morningside seniors……

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not sure what you expected danske. It’s not a competition in the true sense, never has been.

Not QAFL specifically related but seems Giants are playing Lions in the VFL. How do the Giants get to travel to Qld? CN understand their listed players being in a bubble, but there top up players wouldn’t be. Are they being topped up from Queensland players? Just wondering……

Think you will find they have all their contracted players and may have got dispensation
Well the VFL comp is officially a joke. Players getting loaned to other clubs left right and centre. I think about 10 Swans players are playing for Giants and Essendon.

Wilson Barry is an emergency for Brisbane Lions and Morningside seniors……

Alex Rance playing for Essendon as well. Apparently Southport were lending Essendon 5 players and playing against them.

Another change coming for VFL competition next year as just hasn’t worked this year.

Think you will find they have all their contracted players and may have got dispensation

Alex Rance playing for Essendon as well. Apparently Southport were lending Essendon 5 players and playing against them.

Another change coming for VFL competition next year as just hasn’t worked this year.
Not exactly a great year to use as a template though SM.

You know there’s this pandemic thing, that’s ****ed everything up, right?

Tipping Ladder;

Judge and Magpie Boy the best this week with 3 tips correct .

1; Danske; 53
2; Stuyd; 51
3; Smy ; 50
4; Premier, Cluelless, Time To Retire ; 48
5; Dezario , Goalkicker; 47
6; Judge; 46
7; Magpie Boy; 45
8; Noosa Boy, Ruffles ; 41

If there was any leaning towards not being in VFL (which I personally believe is a great comp) previously by Aspley then surely its magnified now, COVID affected or not

Not exactly a great year to use as a template though SM.

i totally understand that mate and hope I am wrong but apparently AFL Clubs are the ones that will drive the agenda and they not impressed with half their list not getting consistent footy again.

Not sure Aspley or Southport Boards totally satisfied either.

Covid interrupted season haven’t allowed anyone to get a good gauge but just seems the appetite for change will win out yet again.

On a separate note well done to Sherwood and Thommo yesterday on their win, they completely outplayed Morningside in second half and played some good footy in ordinary conditions.

Haven’t forgot anything. Maybe the non AFL teams forgot what the comp is about for the AFL.

Lots of egos running around on here. 🙄
Dusty sure likes to throw in an opinion to shake things up but there are also plenty of egos on those VFL/AFL and pathways forums you particpate in frequently Briztoon.

Unlike those forums the community clubs on this forum do not exist solely for the elite level or pathways.

Your point about non-AFL clubs in VFL probably has some validity but there is also the trickle affect on community clubs and they have every right to propose how the elite level and pathways adversely affect them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I’m not interested in sharks coming back and dominating the qafl. Not sure where Aspley sit.

also I think without non AFL reserves in the VFL comp young players that just miss the draft will head south to chase their dream. At least with sharks and Aspley in the VFL there’s a spot for them keeping that footy talent in Qld

Personally I’m not interested in sharks coming back and dominating the qafl. Not sure where Aspley sit.

also I think without non AFL reserves in the VFL comp young players that just miss the draft will head south to chase their dream. At least with sharks and Aspley in the VFL there’s a spot for them keeping that footy talent in Qld
Yeah u might be right premier. But with new rules in place don’t think Southport or anyone for that matter can necessarily dominate like yesteryear.
agree there needs to be an Avenue for those who just miss out but gbh not sure there’s been a hell of a lot of blokes that have been picked up via this path in any case

Yeah u might be right premier. But with new rules in place don’t think Southport or anyone for that matter can necessarily dominate like yesteryear.

Smy, in terms of the QAFL equalisation rules involving a salary cap and player points, that might be correct in theory.

However, the validity of your point rests on an assumption that the salary cap is actually being enforced and that, financially, the QAFL is a level playing field, which we all know is simply not true.

There are at least two QAFL clubs in particular whom I believe could not possibly be abiding by the QAFL salary cap this year ($56k?), with the points cap not providing an effective handbrake on their match day 22's, and I have no doubt that Southport would easily find a way to bend the rules in the same way if they ever come back in.

Haven’t forgot anything. Maybe the non AFL teams forgot what the comp is about for the AFL.

Lots of egos running around on here. 🙄

The sooner the AFL/VFL (or whoever) realise the crucial role community clubs play in nurturing the game and developing local talent, the better off everyone will be. The issue is plain and simple, the AFL cronies in Victoria (and to a lesser degree the AFL clubs based in SEQ) don't rate the QAFL as an appropriate competition for both listed players not selected in their AFL team, or as a talent pathway.

While that remains the case, there will be constant meddling for a mysterious utopia that doesn't exist where a 2nd tier competition can exist, solely for the benefit of the 4 northern AFL clubs listed players to play in, and an academy system that is so incredibly flawed that it should be wiped out completed and started again from scratch.

If the AFL simply invested in the state league competition up here, instead of wasting their funds on so many other things - it could well be a suitable competition where listed players play and is a bonifide state league like the WAFL or the SANFL.

The VFL, with our without COVID was destined to fail, was just a weird competition with no soul. 22 teams, 16 rounds where you can get to finals without ever seeing 10 of the teams in the competition is just patently absurd

Smy, in terms of the QAFL equalisation rules involving a salary cap and player points, that might be correct in theory.

However, the validity of your point rests on an assumption that the salary cap is actually being enforced and that, financially, the QAFL is a level playing field, which we all know is simply not true.

There are at least two QAFL clubs in particular whom I believe could not possibly be abiding by the QAFL salary cap this year ($56k?), with the points cap not providing an effective handbrake on their match day 22's, and I have no doubt that Southport would easily find a way to bend the rules in the same way if they ever come back in.
Without naming names, are you thinking clubs of the feline variety?
Points cap only aiding the clubs that can recruit and pay for the privilege. Reducing the points cap by 30% wouldn't impact the majority, but might even things up.

The sooner the AFL/VFL (or whoever) realise the crucial role community clubs play in nurturing the game and developing local talent, the better off everyone will be. The issue is plain and simple, the AFL cronies in Victoria (and to a lesser degree the AFL clubs based in SEQ) don't rate the QAFL as an appropriate competition for both listed players not selected in their AFL team, or as a talent pathway.

While that remains the case, there will be constant meddling for a mysterious utopia that doesn't exist where a 2nd tier competition can exist, solely for the benefit of the 4 northern AFL clubs listed players to play in, and an academy system that is so incredibly flawed that it should be wiped out completed and started again from scratch.

If the AFL simply invested in the state league competition up here, instead of wasting their funds on so many other things - it could well be a suitable competition where listed players play and is a bonifide state league like the WAFL or the SANFL.

The VFL, with our without COVID was destined to fail, was just a weird competition with no soul. 22 teams, 16 rounds where you can get to finals without ever seeing 10 of the teams in the competition is just patently absurd
I don’t disagree with any of that.

Personally I believe the AFL & AFL reserve teams should be run separately from State based leagues. So no stand alone teams in the reserve team competition.

Reserve sides will need top up players. I honestly don’t know the solution here.

Personally I wouldn’t have any academies. Northern, nga, etc. If the AFL want to boost indigenous and multicultural participation and pathways, it should be done through community clubs.

Because we do have academies, as I’ve said before, the academies should be run as clubs, so kids aren’t split between community clubs and academy clubs. If a kid is in an academy, that’s where ALL his training and playing should be.

Without naming names, are you thinking clubs of the feline variety?
Points cap only aiding the clubs that can recruit and pay for the privilege. Reducing the points cap by 30% wouldn't impact the majority, but might even things up.

One of the clubs I'm referring to has a feline mascot, they were actively pushing for the QAFL salary cap of $100k before the start of the 2021 season and, I understand, are continuing to do so.

If you look at how many players with good pedigrees this particular club has brought in over the past 2 years, particularly from Victoria, they are obviously being very "creative" in terms of how they compensate them as ~ $56k only stretches so far.....

Second hand information given to me by a good source about player contracts given out by another (non-GC) club this year suggests that they are probably way over the cap as well, but unlike the AFL there's no policeman on the beat looking at cap compliance so in reality nothing for them to worry about.

One of the clubs I'm referring to has a feline mascot, they were actively pushing for the QAFL salary cap of $100k before the start of the 2021 season and, I understand, are continuing to do so.

If you look at how many players with good pedigrees this particular club has brought in over the past 2 years, particularly from Victoria, they are obviously being very "creative" in terms of how they compensate them as ~ $56k only stretches so far.....

Second hand information given to me by a good source about player contracts given out by another (non-GC) club this year suggests that they are probably way over the cap as well, but unlike the AFL there's no policeman on the beat looking at cap compliance so in reality nothing for them to worry about.

There is a "policeman" but think that person has been tied up doing 5 other jobs they have been lumbered with after HQ got streamlined. So possibly not the highest of priorities. In affect you are correct therefore but I still wouldn't want to be the president or treasurer of a club that is caught.

I don’t disagree with any of that.

Personally I believe the AFL & AFL reserve teams should be run separately from State based leagues. So no stand alone teams in the reserve team competition.

Reserve sides will need top up players. I honestly don’t know the solution here.

Personally I wouldn’t have any academies. Northern, nga, etc. If the AFL want to boost indigenous and multicultural participation and pathways, it should be done through community clubs.

Because we do have academies, as I’ve said before, the academies should be run as clubs, so kids aren’t split between community clubs and academy clubs. If a kid is in an academy, that’s where ALL his training and playing should be.
Problem with that idea I believe is that unlike Victoria where the talent pool is deeper and the population is more condensed a comp like the TAC can run okay. If we were to take your idea and run them like a club who do they play? And where do the players come from if/when a VFL side is short on players?
I think the Academies have their place but i do think they need shorten up the window or alternatively make it a really long window (like a club season nearly which they did do a couple of years ago and it was a 10 game season). Atm it seems to be a bit each way. If it was shorter then the Lions / Suns staff that are usually involved in the program could get out to club land and follow the progress of the players playing at senior level in either QAFL or Div 1 footy for drafting purposes and/or development. There is only 30 or so in the squad - easy enough to do with 3-4 coaches and many of the boys at the same club.

Problem is, they have 100 kids in there and don't pay much attention to 90 of them

Meanwhile, kids 'not good enough' to be even in that hundred, are playing senior QAFL footy at 15 and 16, dominating games by 18 and the Academy wouldn't even know their names.

Problem is, they have 100 kids in there and don't pay much attention to 90 of them

Meanwhile, kids 'not good enough' to be even in that hundred, are playing senior QAFL footy at 15 and 16, dominating games by 18 and the Academy wouldn't even know their names.
There isn't a 100 in the U18s squad. More like 30. Of which possibly 5-8 are half a chance. Thats rep footy tbh and has always been that way no matter how much you want to slice or dice it. I'd be interested to know how they run things in WA or SA with their under agers. Obviously both comps much stronger than QAFL footy so playing well as a top ager near guarantees drafting but they don't run academies do they? So for the state team how long do they stay together and outside of the National carnival do they play anyone else?

There isn't a 100 in the U18s squad. More like 30. Of which possibly 5-8 are half a chance. Thats rep footy tbh and has always been that way no matter how much you want to slice or dice it. I'd be interested to know how they run things in WA or SA with their under agers. Obviously both comps much stronger than QAFL footy so playing well as a top ager near guarantees drafting but they don't run academies do they? So for the state team how long do they stay together and outside of the National carnival do they play anyone else?
Both WA teams have nga academies, but I’ve no idea how they work in with their clubs.

I know WA colts lose all their private school kids to PSA footy during the season. But I believe WAFL seniors takes precedence over PSA.

Not many kids play reserves. They’re either in the colts team or senior wafl team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back