QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but thats always just an opinion. Like selecting a team on Saturday. I would think that if I was the head coach and I didn't feel a kid was up to the grade then I would say so. And surely they go and watch local footy too - their opinions should rate.

Can't say they are not up to it, then you can't collect the fees...

The felines are the only two clubs that charge at the gate for home and away games (Surfers to a lesser extent with a parking fee) and it has always irked me on principle. I wonder where that money ends up? I stand to be corrected, but surely some of it never finds its way into the books and "unofficially" lands in the pockets of some handy recruits?
It’s called being proactive more clubs should charge, you pay to see footy in the other states why not here.

I find it interesting that people make a statement about clubs but don’t actually name the club or players . Eg $100k salary cap claims or for that matter going over this $57k or $60k salary cap ..
As an outsider it’s interesting to watch the comments ..

just come out and say what you really want to say !
Because they have no idea 😂😂

Entry fee to the game ; Braodbeach are very fortunate to have a fully exterior fenced amenity ,, so the only way in is thru the entry . This gives them the oppurtunity to charge the entry fee and they have done so for years.. thus its a avenue to raise funds for the club and Ive never heard anyone make a huge issue about it. .I f you can do it go for it , they are doing nothing wrong.
And for the prior poster to comment that these funds are not fully dsclosed and some of it goes to player payments is just absurd. Do you really think in todays day and age a club would take the risk and do these things ,,, I dont thinkl so .

This doesn’t address the claims of the salary cap accusations or the club names or the players ?

Gate takings are a way of life in football anywhere in the country if you have the ability to run a gate ..

Either way given recent results if these clubs are paying the alleged amounts that they are , then they are paying too much. Clubs that pay far less are getting the results without the large expenses or use of points .

I love watching clubs like western magpies go about there business without fuss or complaints. They just deal with what they have and play with heart and culture ..

Palm Beach should be applauded for playing with passion and blooding their youth . Other clubs are stacking their seniors and then seeing their colts players who would get a senior or reserves game at other clubs end up getting stuck in colts .

Maroochydore are doing a great job this season and seeing good results as well ..

Even Surfers seem to be finding form late and have to be considered a genuine threat..

It’s a great comp given any side can win on any day even despite these allegations of disparity (I think that’s the word)

This doesn’t address the claims of the salary cap accusations or the club names or the players ?

Gate takings are a way of life in football anywhere in the country if you have the ability to run a gate ..

Either way given recent results if these clubs are paying the alleged amounts that they are , then they are paying too much. Clubs that pay far less are getting the results without the large expenses or use of points .

I love watching clubs like western magpies go about there business without fuss or complaints. They just deal with what they have and play with heart and culture ..

Palm Beach should be applauded for playing with passion and blooding their youth . Other clubs are stacking their seniors and then seeing their colts players who would get a senior or reserves game at other clubs end up getting stuck in colts .

Maroochydore are doing a great job this season and seeing good results as well ..

Even Surfers seem to be finding form late and have to be considered a genuine threat..

It’s a great comp given any side can win on any day even despite these allegations of disparity (I think that’s the word)
I will add that i Redland Bays merge is a joke and their points allocation is in direction contradiction of the Leagues equalisation idea for points .

any players that left and went to another club incurred the NEAFL points allocation so the majority of Redlands list should incure the same points .
Thomson , Miller , Huddy, stallard, Kerr, Christenson, Williams, Baker, Steven, Frank’s , Salter . Just to make a few ….

Attachments

• 6CB2B728-4D6D-41AD-A9A4-608D5F396434.jpeg
    6CB2B728-4D6D-41AD-A9A4-608D5F396434.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 64
OK, for those who can't read the pretty obvious fine print between the lines, I'd love to know how Labrador will distribute only $56k among their entire list, within the AFLQ rules, given that:
  • over the past off-season they have brought in three quality mids from Victoria - Simpson, Meagher and Beattie - plus Pearce Hanley;
  • they also have Alex McKay from SA, who might actually be their best mid and would be worth a lot on the open market;
  • they have brought in Southport-listed players Travaglini and Burrows-Cheng from interstate this year who have played QAFL most weeks;
  • they still have guys like Osborne, Retzlaff and Goldsmith, who almost certainly aren't all playing for the love of the jumper;
  • most weeks they seem to have been playing 4-5 Southport listed guys who (I think) have to be paid at least $100 per game each;
  • I assume that of the remaining 40+ guys on their senior list at least some are getting match payments;
  • I also assume that they have a weekly pool to be distributed across the best 6 players in the seniors, or something similar.
I'm happy for any Labrador or GC "insider" to tell me where I have it wrong, as if Lab is under the cap they are certainly setting the standard for the rest of the league in list management.

I could also ask similar questions about Redland's player payments but there's really no point as, in the modern vernacular, "it is what it is".

Last edited:
OK, for those who can't read the pretty obvious fine print between the lines, I'd love to know how Labrador will distribute only $56k among their entire list, within the AFLQ rules, given that:
  • over the past off-season they have brought in three quality mids from Victoria - Simpson, Meagher and Beattie - plus Pearce Hanley;
  • they also have Alex McKay from SA, who might actually be their best mid and would be worth a lot on the open market;
  • they have brought in Southport-listed players Travaglini and Burrows-Cheng from interstate this year who have played QAFL most weeks;
  • they still have guys like Osborne, Retzlaff and Goldsmith, who almost certainly aren't all playing for the love of the jumper;
  • most weeks they seem to have been playing 4-5 Southport listed guys who (I think) have to be paid at least $100 per game each;
  • I assume that of the remaining 40+ guys on their senior list at least some are getting match payments;
  • I also assume that they have a weekly pool to be distributed across the best 6 players in the seniors, or something similar.
I'm happy for any Labrador or GC "insider" to tell me where I have it wrong, as if Lab is under the cap they are certainly setting the standard for the rest of the league in list management.

I could also ask similar questions about Redland's player payments but there's really no point as, in the modern vernacular, "it is what it is".

100% wrong and the list management is doing a great job, especially helping guys find suitable employment as well as the coach creating a great atmosphere around the place.

There were existing player relationships with the recruits you mentioned and they wanted to get out of Victoria (escape the lockdowns etc…) but didn’t want to fly to play footy in the VFL (with Southport). Similarly Pearce Hanley and the coach are friends and Pearce wasn’t to be playing VFL and is settled on the GC, he wouldn’t go elsewhere and play against a team one of his good mates is coaching.

I know unequivocally that Retzlaff plays for the sniff of an oily rag. That wasn’t the case early days when he came back from SA but it has been the case for a few years now.

I know the players were volunteer last season and the payments were put back in this season but severely decreased from previous seasons, to comply and be under the cap.

While I have no affiliation to Labrador, I find that fairly offensive, and much of it probably just downright false.

there is no set minimum or maximum spend for VFL listed players in the QAFL, it was free agency. Southport handled it much better than Aspley and tried to evenly distribute their players thorughout the GC clubs, I highly doubt any of them are particularly highly paid. I know several QAFL clubs just capped their VFL payments at $100 a game.

The 3 quality mids they brought in from Victoria may have just moved to the Gold Coast and walked in. Look at Maroochy, they had about 9 blokes come from the western region and a few with VFL experience. They may have chased them, but I imagine lifestyle was more of an attraction.

I would suggest that Retzlaff almost definitely IS playing for the love of the jumper, might be a foreign concept - but it definitely happens at many clubs.

It's quite hypocritical for Grange to be firing shots like this when they had Boston and Baxter last year reportedly on $1,000 a game, which alone would have blown the cap. Then this year, guys like Wasley-Black switched allegiance for reportedly 4 times the sum he was being paid or offered to play with Sherwood again. Just potting a club who is having an amazing year with all 3 grades on top of the ladder and less than 5 losses in total is lazy when there are other clubs who have far more questionable things going on, but the results aren't there.

Lab were always going to be a sleeping giant this year after some lean seasons, and alongside Broady are probably the only team that actually have to take any notice of the salary cap, but I highly doubt they would be breaching it.

Think the practices of fuelcardphil at Redland and the broadyboxoffice at Broadbeach are far more eyebrow raising, but because they aren't on top of the ladder they don't get these aspersions thrown at them.

There’s no doubt with covid and lockdowns etc in vic the players that come to QLD are genuinely coming up for lifestyle reasons and not for footy money. There is no footy money like in previous times.

it’s a silver lining of covid the reset of player payments at local clubs which have spiralled to ridiculous levels particularly in vic placing strain on club volunteers.

The points system assists too makes it harder for blokes to shop themselves around.

I believe that the vast majority of clubs adhere to the cap, got my doubts about div 2 Ballina though…

While I have no affiliation to Labrador, I find that fairly offensive, and much of it probably just downright false.

there is no set minimum or maximum spend for VFL listed players in the QAFL, it was free agency. Southport handled it much better than Aspley and tried to evenly distribute their players thorughout the GC clubs, I highly doubt any of them are particularly highly paid. I know several QAFL clubs just capped their VFL payments at $100 a game.

The 3 quality mids they brought in from Victoria may have just moved to the Gold Coast and walked in. Look at Maroochy, they had about 9 blokes come from the western region and a few with VFL experience. They may have chased them, but I imagine lifestyle was more of an attraction.

I would suggest that Retzlaff almost definitely IS playing for the love of the jumper, might be a foreign concept - but it definitely happens at many clubs.

It's quite hypocritical for Grange to be firing shots like this when they had Boston and Baxter last year reportedly on $1,000 a game, which alone would have blown the cap. Then this year, guys like Wasley-Black switched allegiance for reportedly 4 times the sum he was being paid or offered to play with Sherwood again. Just potting a club who is having an amazing year with all 3 grades on top of the ladder and less than 5 losses in total is lazy when there are other clubs who have far more questionable things going on, but the results aren't there.

Lab were always going to be a sleeping giant this year after some lean seasons, and alongside Broady are probably the only team that actually have to take any notice of the salary cap, but I highly doubt they would be breaching it.

Think the practices of fuelcardphil at Redland and the broadyboxoffice at Broadbeach are far more eyebrow raising, but because they aren't on top of the ladder they don't get these aspersions thrown at them.

Some of your best work yet Fan.

As someone who is "unaffiliated" you're obviously offended just as easily as you make accusations based on "facts" you simply invent.

Grange were way under the salary cap last year, and even further under this year, your figures on payments to Boston and Baxter last year are ridiculously inflated and I'm sure you'll find that Wasley-Black gets $100 per game at Grange, like all other Aspley-listed players.

Accepting that Labrador is paying $56k or less for its list this year, I'm still curious about why were they pushing AFLQ for a cap limit of $100k before the start of the season and why they were still talking about that cap figure more recently?

Anyway, if Lab is under the significantly reduced cap this year then their list manager has done an amazing job, good luck to the rest of the comp if he's ever given another $44k pa to spend.

100% wrong and the list management is doing a great job, especially helping guys find suitable employment as well as the coach creating a great atmosphere around the place.

There were existing player relationships with the recruits you mentioned and they wanted to get out of Victoria (escape the lockdowns etc…) but didn’t want to fly to play footy in the VFL (with Southport). Similarly Pearce Hanley and the coach are friends and Pearce wasn’t to be playing VFL and is settled on the GC, he wouldn’t go elsewhere and play against a team one of his good mates is coaching.

I know unequivocally that Retzlaff plays for the sniff of an oily rag. That wasn’t the case early days when he came back from SA but it has been the case for a few years now.

I know the players were volunteer last season and the payments were put back in this season but severely decreased from previous seasons, to comply and be under the cap.
Players volunteering v being paid certainly makes a difference to ladder position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who is "unaffiliated" you're obviously offended just as easily as you make accusations based on "facts" you simply invent.

100% - but you are doing exactly the same thing, with zero evidence other than a hunch based on jealousy.

Whereas suggestions around Boston and Baxter in 2020 for example aren't just imagined, it was well circulated around many clubs what Boston was asking for, was offered by others, and what he allegedly got so while its not a irrefutable fact, there is at least something informing the assumption. What Wasley-Black is alleged to have told his Aspley teammates he gets, is very different to what you suggest he gets. Then you take into account he switched allegiances after playing with another side in 2020, and another 'informed assumption' takes place as opposed to just a guess.

Big difference between just making something up (like you have done regarding Labrador) and having a bit of a punt on some well informed rumour.

100% - but you are doing exactly the same thing, with zero evidence other than a hunch based on jealousy.

Whereas suggestions around Boston and Baxter in 2020 for example aren't just imagined, it was well circulated around many clubs what Boston was asking for, was offered by others, and what he allegedly got so while its not a irrefutable fact, there is at least something informing the assumption. What Wasley-Black is alleged to have told his Aspley teammates he gets, is very different to what you suggest he gets. Then you take into account he switched allegiances after playing with another side in 2020, and another 'informed assumption' takes place as opposed to just a guess.

Big difference between just making something up (like you have done regarding Labrador) and having a bit of a punt on some well informed rumour.

Two of the many differences between you and me is that firstly I haven't made any assertions of fact or accusations, and secondly I at least have first hand knowledge of what goes on at one club.

In contrast you "hear", or you're "told", everything, but you don't actually "know" anything - Mr Unaffiliated - which is why you're a running joke on this board.

The irony is that on the one hand you purport to defend Labrador's practices based on supposition only, whilst at the same time you effectively call Redland and Broady cheats.

Never change mate, at least you provide some comic relief.

Some of your best work yet Fan.

Grange were way under the salary cap last year, and even further under this year, your figures on payments to Boston and Baxter last year are ridiculously inflated and I'm sure you'll find that Wasley-Black gets $100 per game at Grange, like all other Aspley-listed players.

Accepting that Labrador is paying $56k or less for its list this year, I'm still curious about why were they pushing AFLQ for a cap limit of $100k before the start of the season and why they were still talking about that cap figure more recently?

Anyway, if Lab is under the significantly reduced cap this year then their list manager has done an amazing job, good luck to the rest of the comp if he's ever given another $44k pa to spend.
Instead of assuming clubs are cheating and doing this and doing that. The clubs you are speaking about seem to be proactive and setting the bar for other clubs to aspire too. The clubs that aren’t proactive continue to throw daggers at the ones that are instead of trying to improve the own backyards.

personally think it should be a case of 1 in all in. If all clubs can't charge then no one does. Silly to compare with Victoria and esp country Vic. Different landscapes.

personally think it should be a case of 1 in all in. If all clubs can't charge then no one does. Silly to compare with Victoria and esp country Vic. Different landscapes.
Whilst I'm not a fan of entry charges or the cheeky parking fee your suggestion sounds good in theory SMY but not sure it can be stipulated or enforced

I think it could be enforced Lagging - there already is conditions attached to charging of a gate in the AFLQ guidelines from my understanding.

Broadbeach (only certainty this week)
Labrador
Morningside
Maroochydore (very even contest, but sticking with the home team)
Sherwood (moz)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back