QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Claiming Reiwolt, Merrett, Raines and Gilbert as examples draws a very long bow as well. Probably others too.

Reiwolt was a gun from Tassie, that played at Broady and then had 1 year at Southport - they hardly developed him, he was the finished product.

Merrett was a kid that found footy at 17, played at Surfers and played less than 5 games for Southport ever.

Same goes for Lachie Weller, he moved because his brother Mav was at the Suns - he was an AIS Academy kid before even moving to QLD - Southport did zero development of his footy.

etc etc
Gun from Tassie? Riewoldt moved to the Gold Coast at 9 years of age. How much of a gun can you really be at that age? Clearly the majority of his development was completed on the Gold Coast with Broadbeach but Southport took him to that next level and really put him on the radar to be taken with pick 1.

Merrett was just a tall and athletic guy that got convinced to take up footy at Surfers because his mates at Benowa High were telling him to give it a go. Southport saw his potential and signed him up in his draft year. They moulded him into something respectable and worth drafting.

I'll give you Lachie Weller. It's definitely a stretch to say Southport had a big say in his drafting.

How is this any different to NAB League teams in Melbourne though? The juniors play for their local teams until around 15/16 years of age and then the NAB League teams pick them up and mould them into something worth drafting yet people will always reference their NAB League team when talking about their junior footy. Commentators love talking about Matt Rowell from Oakleigh but Mont Albert and Canterbury hardly ever get a mention. It's no different to what Southport did for the majority of the draftees listed earlier in the thread.

Why would you play at NEAFL level if it wasn't?? No other reason. I reckon you can chew gum and walk at same time. Many seem to be able to do so.

And back prior to Academies you would think that there should be something coming out of a club that size and with so many resources. It isn't a great result that drafting history when Miller puts it into that context. Caloundra for example would have had just as many, if not more.
I'll hand it to you. You are generally always a voice of reason SMY. However I reckon Southport would play AFL9s to win first and foremost with other matters secondary.

I think all SEQ clubs have a duty to have an eye for the future, growing our code and supporting more QLDers at the top level through all the pathways. But when scores are level, with 5mins to go in any game in NEAFL/VFL, QAFL, QFA Divs 1 - 4, development disappears and playing to win comes to the fore ..... and its that's actually ok.

Yep those two boys are returning which will be a huge boost getting their two best players back. Hopefully a few others who didn’t play this year are lured back. We got a lot of games into young boys this year which will be a great benefit going into the new season
Cornish one of their best players...........ya kidding aren’t ya , only gets a game Cos mummy is the Prez.
Would not play Seniors at any top 5 side

Cornish one of their best players...........ya kidding aren’t ya , only gets a game Cos mummy is the Prez.

Cirnish played Neafl footy at sharks a few years back. He’s a good QAFL player in PBCs top 10-12 I reckon.

Tommy Thynne is a competition top 10 player And in the best 3 at Palmy

Merrett was just a tall and athletic guy that got convinced to take up footy at Surfers because his mates at Benowa High were telling him to give it a go. Southport saw his potential and signed him up in his draft year. They moulded him into something respectable and worth drafting.

I'm mates with Dan, he played 1 single game for Southport in his entire life and was mystified when elevated to their Hall of Fame.

Yes, 1 game.

I'll hand it to you. You are generally always a voice of reason SMY. However I reckon Southport would play AFL9s to win first and foremost with other matters secondary.

I think all SEQ clubs have a duty to have an eye for the future, growing our code and supporting more QLDers at the top level through all the pathways. But when scores are level, with 5mins to go in any game in NEAFL/VFL, QAFL, QFA Divs 1 - 4, development disappears and playing to win comes to the fore ..... and its that's actually ok.

Haha - not sure if thats a backhander... :) I don't disagree with your comment re competing with 5min to go but that doesn't mean you are on Thursday night when selecting your team. Certainly if you get into that position come game day then yeah, 100% But many a side, if not nearly all, would be not thinking about the end result on Thursday night but how they are setting their side up to show case / develop individual players. Most of those VFL sides would have some sort of directive from above as to where an omitted player should be playing game day.

Don't get me wrong, Southport very well may have winning as it's charter but if indeed this is the case then why the hell would any prospective Qld junior player want to go there based on that record of players pushing through?

Gun from Tassie? Riewoldt moved to the Gold Coast at 9 years of age. How much of a gun can you really be at that age? Clearly the majority of his development was completed on the Gold Coast with Broadbeach but Southport took him to that next level and really put him on the radar to be taken with pick 1.

I'll give you Lachie Weller. It's definitely a stretch to say Southport had a big say in his drafting.

How is this any different to NAB League teams in Melbourne though? The juniors play for their local teams until around 15/16 years of age and then the NAB League teams pick them up and mould them into something worth drafting yet people will always reference their NAB League team when talking about their junior footy. Commentators love talking about Matt Rowell from Oakleigh but Mont Albert and Canterbury hardly ever get a mention. It's no different to what Southport did for the majority of the draftees listed earlier in the thread.

Correct it isn't a great deal different except most of the Vic boys are in academies for 3-4 years, not 1. I'm not sure 1 year at Southport turned him into the #1 draft pick - I think Mark Browning's Southport connection and influence definitely did. In fact he says himself Kosi was always going 1, Roo 2. But he went to John Beveridge and told him what a stimulus for Qld footy and the code it would be if a Qld boy was drafted 1 - so Beveridge being a good fella agreed to it bc it didn't matter to them. Think he would have gone 1 playing at Broady just as easily though.
Who knows with Sauce if he would have been drafted from Surfers?

I'm mates with Dan, he played 1 single game for Southport in his entire life and was mystified when elevated to their Hall of Fame.

Yes, 1 game.
1 senior QAFL game. Correct.

How many games did he play for Southport's reserves/U18s team in his draft year?

Even if he only played a handful of games for Southport at multiple grades, it would have been the training sessions where Dan made the most inroads considering he was still so new to the game. Surrounded by the best coaches in local QLD footy and a lot of the best Queensland based-players not in the AFL.

Correct it isn't a great deal different except most of the Vic boys are in academies for 3-4 years, not 1. I'm not sure 1 year at Southport turned him into the #1 draft pick - I think Mark Browning's Southport connection and influence definitely did. In fact he says himself Kosi was always going 1, Roo 2. But he went to John Beveridge and told him what a stimulus for Qld footy and the code it would be if a Qld boy was drafted 1 - so Beveridge being a good fella agreed to it bc it didn't matter to them. Think he would have gone 1 playing at Broady just as easily though.
Who knows with Sauce if he would have been drafted from Surfers?
Let's make this clear so people aren't confused. Nick Riewoldt spent two years with Southport in 1999 & 2000. He played in a reserves flag for Southport in 1999 and a senior flag in 2000. Would he have gone number 1 if he stayed with Broady? We'll never know but Southport absolutely had better coaches and facilities for Nick to become the best possible junior prospect he could be.

I highly doubt Dan Merrett would have been drafted had he stayed with Surfers. They weren't even in the top level state league back then.

You only have to compare the two most recent decades and look at the players Southport produced while in the QAFL and had a proper development pathway vs in the NEAFL/VFL when their juniors and reserves teams were compromised/non existent:

2000-2009
  • Nick Riewoldt - 2000 Pick #1
  • Daniel Merrett - 2002 Pick #30
  • Andrew Raines - 2003 Pick #76
  • Brad Moran - 2004 Pick #58
  • Leigh Ryswyk - 2004 rookie
  • Sam Gilbert - 2005 Pick #33
  • Hadyn Kiel - 2005 rookie
  • Brent Renouf - 2006 Pick #24
  • Kurt Tippett - 2006 Pick #32
  • Jesse White - 2006 Pick 78
  • Joel Tippett - 2006 rookie
  • Dayne Beams - 2008 Pick #29
  • Broc McCauley - 2009 rookie
2010-2019
  • Marc Lock - 2010 Suns local access
  • Jack Stanlake - 2010 Suns local access
  • Rory Thompson - 2010 Suns local access
  • Lachie Weller - 2014 Pick #13
  • Tom Wilkinson - 2018 rookie

Stark difference. 2000-2009 is an extremely impressive decade when you look at all the names listed and 2010 was their final year in the QAFL so there is a little carry over but 2011-2019 was really disappointing with the only notable name being Lachie Weller and even then he was actually a Broadbeach junior that was forced to play for Southport in his last junior season due to the competition restructuring.

It's best for Queensland footy for Southport to return to the QAFL so they get their development pathway back and produce AFL footballers. Unfortunately for Queensland footy, the Sharks have greater aspirations than that and will do all they can to retain their spot in the VFL.
You only have to compare the two most recent decades and look at the players Southport produced while in the QAFL and had a proper development pathway vs in the NEAFL/VFL when their juniors and reserves teams were compromised/non existent:

2000-2009
  • Nick Riewoldt - 2000 Pick #1
  • Daniel Merrett - 2002 Pick #30
  • Andrew Raines - 2003 Pick #76
  • Brad Moran - 2004 Pick #58
  • Leigh Ryswyk - 2004 rookie
  • Sam Gilbert - 2005 Pick #33
  • Hadyn Kiel - 2005 rookie
  • Brent Renouf - 2006 Pick #24
  • Kurt Tippett - 2006 Pick #32
  • Jesse White - 2006 Pick 78
  • Joel Tippett - 2006 rookie
  • Dayne Beams - 2008 Pick #29
  • Broc McCauley - 2009 rookie
2010-2019
  • Marc Lock - 2010 Suns local access
  • Jack Stanlake - 2010 Suns local access
  • Rory Thompson - 2010 Suns local access
  • Lachie Weller - 2014 Pick #13
  • Tom Wilkinson - 2018 rookie

Stark difference. 2000-2009 is an extremely impressive decade when you look at all the names listed and 2010 was their final year in the QAFL so there is a little carry over but 2011-2019 was really disappointing with the only notable name being Lachie Weller and even then he was actually a Broadbeach junior that was forced to play for Southport in his last junior season due to the competition restructuring.

It's best for Queensland footy for Southport to return to the QAFL so they get their development pathway back and produce AFL footballers. Unfortunately for Queensland footy, the Sharks have greater aspirations than that and will do all they can to retain their spot in the VFL.
I think it's more of a reflection on the academies why kids don't get drafted.

it's similar to GPS rugby. you live the Hollywood life in 1st 15 then if you're not with the broncos or reds then you're back to 3rd grade making your way again.
He can definitely play.

Haha - not sure if thats a backhander... :) I don't disagree with your comment re competing with 5min to go but that doesn't mean you are on Thursday night when selecting your team. Certainly if you get into that position come game day then yeah, 100% But many a side, if not nearly all, would be not thinking about the end result on Thursday night but how they are setting their side up to show case / develop individual players. Most of those VFL sides would have some sort of directive from above as to where an omitted player should be playing game day.

Don't get me wrong, Southport very well may have winning as it's charter but if indeed this is the case then why the hell would any prospective Qld junior player want to go there based on that record of players pushing through?
Aren't there rules about how many U22s they need on their list designed to produce what you are saying?
And I also think the AFL needed to pull out some $ to keep a second non-AFL club VFL team north of the Brisbane river now that the Dolphins are in NRL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep that's true re selection guidelines. I suppose its more about what is in that target zone of 17/18yr olds who are in the draft window whether we like it or not. And then what sort of roles are those kids playing to showcase their talents vs just making up numbers?

Yeah its interesting with the new NRL team - not sure we all need to jump at shadows though. Its not like AFL as suffered for the existence of the Broncos and the GC franchises. Hard to know.

How many games did he play for Southport's reserves/U18s team in his draft year?

Even if he only played a handful of games for Southport at multiple grades, it would have been the training sessions where Dan made the most inroads considering he was still so new to the game. Surrounded by the best coaches in local QLD footy and a lot of the best Queensland based-players not in the AFL.

Let's make this clear so people aren't confused. Nick Riewoldt spent two years with Southport in 1999 & 2000. He played in a reserves flag for Southport in 1999 and a senior flag in 2000. Would he have gone number 1 if he stayed with Broady? We'll never know but Southport absolutely had better coaches and facilities for Nick to become the best possible junior prospect he could be.

I highly doubt Dan Merrett would have been drafted had he stayed with Surfers. They weren't even in the top level state league back then.

Very debatable comment re best coaches in Qld at that time!

Cornish is v.good. Those 2 playing a single game this year, cooincidentally against us, definitely hurt!

1 game in a Southport jumper of any kind, not just QAFL

Aren't there rules about how many U22s they need on their list designed to produce what you are saying?

yes, but they got around those rules by loading up on delisted AFL player under 22 - not really 'development' players :moustache:

Very debatable comment re best coaches in Qld at that time!
Fair enough. Scott Lawton probably wasn't the best QAFL coach at the time (although the Sharks did make the GF in 2002) but you get the point I was trying to make. Merrett had a much better chance of making it at Southport than he did at Surfers.

1 game in a Southport jumper of any kind, not just QAFL
So where did he play his footy in 2002? We've got one senior game for Southport and probably four or so weeks playing for the Queensland U18s team. What about the rest of the 2002 season?

Claiming Reiwolt, Merrett, Raines and Gilbert as examples draws a very long bow as well. Probably others too.

Reiwolt was a gun from Tassie, that played at Broady and then had 1 year at Southport - they hardly developed him, he was the finished product.

Merrett was a kid that found footy at 17, played at Surfers and played less than 5 games for Southport ever.

Same goes for Lachie Weller, he moved because his brother Mav was at the Suns - he was an AIS Academy kid before even moving to QLD - Southport did zero development of his footy.

etc etc
LOL Sam Gilbert COOLY Boy

LOL Sam Gilbert COOLY Boy
And?

Virtually all the notable names listed above come from a different junior club before pulling on the Sharks jumper - Riewoldt (Broadbeach), Merrett (Surfers), Raines (Palm Beach Currumbin), Gilbert (Coolangatta), White (Surfers), Beams (Mudgeeraba), Weller (Broadbeach).

And?

Virtually all the notable names listed above come from a different junior club before pulling on the Sharks jumper - Riewoldt (Broadbeach), Merrett (Surfers), Raines (Palm Beach Currumbin), Gilbert (Coolangatta), White (Surfers), Beams (Mudgeeraba), Weller (Broadbeach).

Same as everyone...guys play juniors and then have to move somewhere to progress their draft chances. Thats life. In my day Zillmere/Northern Eagles all got credited as "draft" clubs with Daniel Pratt (Aspley), Mitch Hahn (Kedron), Rob Copeland (Strathpine), Jamie Charman (Sandgate) to name a few. Don't move, don't get drafted. Also happened at Aspley recently with Wagners and Conway all Sandgate juniors.

Same as everyone...guys play juniors and then have to move somewhere to progress their draft chances. Thats life. In my day Zillmere/Northern Eagles all got credited as "draft" clubs with Daniel Pratt (Aspley), Mitch Hahn (Kedron), Rob Copeland (Strathpine), Jamie Charman (Sandgate) to name a few. Don't move, don't get drafted. Also happened at Aspley recently with Wagners and Conway all Sandgate juniors.
That's true but has nothing to do with the club itself but with the comp they are playing in (or can afford to play in). Lets not bang on about how the Southport's etc "finish" players necessarily when players have been there 1 season. Not 100% sure but previous to NEAFL football plenty of guys were drafted from QAFL clubs and often played 2-3 seasons there, occasionally whole junior career. Think its really important to recognise if a club (like Kedron) has 4-5 blokes come through and get drafted despite the fact that it might be through the doors of a higher tier club.

And?

Thats the question originally asked though GC; why can't/don't Southport have any of their own making the jump?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back