QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m curious what the top earners in the QAFL make.

I don’t need names, just a ball park figure, and if they get a nice job lined up for them.

From Miller's list, I understand that Corey Lyons is going to Glenelg, Jack Rolls is staying at Aspley and there's no guarantee that Saxon Crozier will be playing footy anywhere next year with Uni studies taking precedence.

Yes, Rollsy might stay at Aspley, just as Baulchy and a few of them will be 'with' us. However, will still play for the Lions most weeks - which is a great opportunity and well done to them. No doubt they want Will Fletcher, but he has no interest in playing at that level any further.

I’m curious what the top earners in the QAFL make.

I don’t need names, just a ball park figure, and if they get a nice job lined up for them.

Salary cap is circa $70k

so you'd be mad to have a player on any more than $500 a game, and I doubt many even get that. Certainly nobody anywhere near that with us.

Thanks for the reply Thommo 42. I’m not familiar at all with QAFL players.

What positions do some of the linked players play?

There’s a bit of angst on our board that we won’t have enough KPP’s in our reserves, apart from having an abundance of rucks.

Lions VFL moving away from Academy kids, as the listed players don't want to play with them anymore because it impacts their footy.

Word on the street is they are focused on mature aged QAFL/VFL blokes in Brisbane, or not neccessairly 22 year olds, but at least plenty of senior footy under their belt. Names flying around are Rolls, Triffet, Reville, Briskey, Ballenden, C.Lyons, Baulch, Greene, W.Fletcher, Crozier, Franks and the like.

looking at those names, Morningside and Sherwood would have their lists decimated!

Thanks for the reply Thommo 42. I’m not familiar at all with QAFL players.

What positions do some of the linked players play?

There’s a bit of angst on our board that we won’t have enough KPP’s in our reserves, apart from having an abundance of rucks.

Well if you go by the list above from Miller, which likely has no basis in fact whatsoever, there is one key position player on that list aBriskey a tall utility Greene is a half back flanker/intercept mark type player and the rest are mids/small-forwards, so hardly going to please the guys looking for KPPs

Salary cap is circa $70k

so you'd be mad to have a player on any more than $500 a game, and I doubt many even get that. Certainly nobody anywhere near that with us.

I reckon you could count on one hand players on $500 plus in the whole comp. majority of clubs would max out at a couple hundred a game for their highest paid player I’d imagine

A few on the coast would get $500+

Grange allegedly have offered that and more to plenty, not sure how many have actually accepted it

I do know that blokes do get help with employment at Western Magpies if they want it, connections with trades, apprenticeships, hospo and corporate work depending on your flavour.

Grange allegedly have offered that and more to plenty, not sure how many have actually accepted it

I do know that blokes do get help with employment at Western Magpies if they want it, connections with trades, apprenticeships, hospo and corporate work depending on your flavour.

who do you reckon on the coast? My best guess is Pearce Hanley would be the only player on the GC on $500 plus this year gone.

covid and salary caps have reduced money in local footy Which I think is a good thing as it was getting out of hand and putting strain on clubs

Hmm not sure. Reckon there’d be a number of blokes on $300 plus.
and that would be just at 1 club !

Reckon thered be a few recruits headed north on that or more

Grange adopting the Kangaroos approach to recruiting. Not sure that worked for them, but hey worth a try.

Grange adopting the Kangaroos approach to recruiting. Not sure that worked for them, but hey worth a try.

2 tactics.

1. Offer the best known guns huge money
2. chase every decent 15-17 year old between Brisbane and Noosa promising them senior opportunities.

(bonus is getting to be screamed at and belittled by the coach!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 tactics.

1. Offer the best known guns huge money
2. chase every decent 15-17 year old between Brisbane and Noosa promising them senior opportunities.

(bonus is getting to be screamed at and belittled by the coach!)

That's an interesting, albeit fictional, take.

Firstly, I'm not sure who comprises the "best known guns", but it would be hardly surprising if a bottom of the table Grange has offered "overs" to a few guys who would add much-needed class and experience to an extremely (far too) young list, particularly when we have plenty of funds yet struggled to pay 50% of the salary cap this year.

Secondly, I'd love to know the names of any of these "15-17yo's" we've apparently been chasing, because that certainly hasn't happened and isn't happening.

Of the many boys aged 18 or less who played senior footy at Grange this year only Riley McMillan was in his first year at Grange, and he came down to play with a couple of his schoolmates from the SC who have now been at our joint for 3 years. One other, Hunter Osborne, came over from Mt Gravatt off his own bat and played a full season of Colts last year. That's it, the rest have been around the club for ages.

As for your last point, how many Grange games did you actually see this year? Or is this another of your "I've' heard" or "I'm told" scenarios?

As for your last point, how many Grange games did you actually see this year? Or is this another of your "I've' heard" or "I'm told" scenarios?

Ask your own junior parents what they thought of his carry on.

Saw/heard with own eyes, heard from 20+ others. Talk of the town.

not exactly a secret the guy goes off his rocker

Ask your own junior parents what they thought of his carry on.

Saw/heard with own eyes, heard from 20+ others. Talk of the town.

not exactly a secret the guy goes off his rocker
You don’t mind potting him on here.

You should give him some feedback.

who do you reckon on the coast? My best guess is Pearce Hanley would be the only player on the GC on $500 plus this year gone.

covid and salary caps have reduced money in local footy Which I think is a good thing as it was getting out of hand and putting strain on clubs

North coast. Not GC

Talking about match payments , Im aware Southport fringe players are on $ 400 a game with obviously the better plates on a lot more.. Now thats VFL so one would expect that but at QAFL level, points system and salary cap applicable a club has to manage this so well ...the fdays of huge player payments to a gun are gone ,,and thats good

Apparently Ben Jones taking over the senior coaching job at Maroochydore.Don’t know much at all about him other than he was an assistant to Cadz this year.Big holes to fill but has a good list and their junior program is terrific.Trying desperately to get our new coach Chris Rourke up here before Christmas after being stuck in Sydney the past 3 months with things at least starting to look up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back