QAFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Probably time to start this thread now. Biggest stories so far would have to be Aspley returning to the QAFL and Liam Jones signing for Palm Beach.

Discuss.

Yes a couple of big stories there and along with some massive signings at Labrador and grange recently I reckon we are in for a ripping competition.No draw as yet but have been told we will have one either by weeks end or early next week.

The move of young Dan Lanthois from Maroochydore to Grange hasn't been mentioned yet, but to me this is a big win which came completely out of the blue.

Apparently Dan is moving from the SC to Brisbane to start Uni and will be living less than 2km from Hickey Park, hence him signing with us.

In past years you could almost guarantee that a talented kid like him coming out of the Academy would have signed with Morningside, or at least not with Grange, so it looks like our recruiting drive might be showing some results before the season even starts.

I've always rated Lanthois highly, as Maroochydore obviously did, and he'll only carry 2 points as an U20 recruit.

Lachie Henderson is now a confirmed signing for Labrador:

BNXJTHT.jpg

Do the Roos get anything out of it other than a bit of free advertising?

Surely the agreement is between the Council and the AFLW. Maybe only some bar takings making their way back to the club?

"Some bar takings"

My guess would be its a $20-$30k revenue boost at least per game. Not sure what that equates to in profit, but pretty handy!

"Some bar takings"

My guess would be its a $20-$30k revenue boost at least per game. Not sure what that equates to in profit, but pretty handy!

Having a fair bit of experience with hosting AFLW games for the Lions, including the very first game at Grange which drew a 4.5k crowd, I suspect the lower end of your gross revenue estimate is closer to the mark, plus the host has to split any profit with the Lions on a 50/50 basis.

I'm sure Maroochydore got a good return on the day, but it takes a lot of effort and manpower from the host club to put these games on and late game cancellations for Covid reasons are incredibly disruptive and potentially expensive.

There are a few good reasons why Grange passed up the opportunity to continue hosting the AFLW games, we're happy to be out of it despite the fact that they definitely generate profit, but Maroochydore might have a different/better experience than we did.

You guys were pretty unlucky. Multiple times you would have ramped up, bought all the supplies etc and then had the game cancelled on you, or no crows were permitted.

With a clear run at it, you would have made a fortune.

You guys were pretty unlucky. Multiple times you would have ramped up, bought all the supplies etc and then had the game cancelled on you, or no crows were permitted.

With a clear run at it, you would have made a fortune.

Yep, maybe, but it would have happened again this year so no real remorse on our part.

Good to see the new thread , interesting reading from 2021 thread and 2022 .. loads of signings for many clubs and some suspiciously quiet clubs as well .. I’ve got questions

What’s going on with
Mt Gravatt , Noosa, Morningside & Surfers ? Doesn’t seem to be much intel about them?

Has the QAFL increased the points and salary cap? I’m wondering how these big signings will fit into point's cap as all these clubs had full points last year . Especially Broady , Labrador and Grange

How many points are players worth these days anyway ?

That’s a big list of questions I know but I’m keen to learn more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no change to points cap, salary cap apparently around $80k

Grange previously had a points cap extension of like 5 points or something, that they never used and probably has expired.

doubt they would be in any danger of points problems, but Broady and Lab would be struggling to fit them all in, which is nothing new.

Good to see the new thread , interesting reading from 2021 thread and 2022 .. loads of signings for many clubs and some suspiciously quiet clubs as well .. I’ve got questions

What’s going on with
Mt Gravatt , Noosa, Morningside & Surfers ? Doesn’t seem to be much intel about them?

Has the QAFL increased the points and salary cap? I’m wondering how these big signings will fit into point's cap as all these clubs had full points last year . Especially Broady , Labrador and Grange

How many points are players worth these days anyway ?

That’s a big list of questions I know but I’m keen to learn more
For Noosa Tigers, we have had a great off season. Notable signings include Big Jono Freeman, Harry Maher returning from Melbourne, plus a number of other returning Tigers such as Jai Fitzpatrick, Tom Templeton, Wil O'Dwyer, Conor McDonald. See all of the signings here: Noosa Tigers AFC

Last edited:
Big news from the Cats ; Jarrod Harbrow has joined us ..
Brisbane teams falling even further behind. Three of the four GC teams have all signed significant recently retired AFL names now. Any word on Surfers potentially joining the party?

Brisbane teams falling even further behind. Three of the four GC teams have all signed significant recently retired AFL names now. Any word on Surfers potentially joining the party?
Unlikely you would think, Surfers seem to not really recruit. Every other Gold Coast club does so definitely players around.

Okay so after my previous comment about points and salary cap . I have since done a bit of a look back at the red riots I’m gob snacked at the recruiting and how clubs with AFL players, NEAFL players, NT players and even some VIC and SA non vfl players are staying under the salary cap ..

Clearly there is some good accounting going on .

I spoken to a number of people involved in recruiting at clubs and they know exactly what the asking prices were for all these new recruits as they shopped themselves around .. I’m not going to name names as that would put them in hot water with their club but WOW 😮

there’s big numbers being thrown around .

Okay so after my previous comment about points and salary cap . I have since done a bit of a look back at the red riots I’m gob snacked at the recruiting and how clubs with AFL players, NEAFL players, NT players and even some VIC and SA non vfl players are staying under the salary cap ..

Clearly there is some good accounting going on .

Ive spoken to a number of people involved in recruiting at clubs and they know exactly what the asking prices were for all these new recruits as they shopped themselves around .. I’m not going to name names as that would put them in hot water with their club but WOW 😮

there’s big numbers being thrown around .
Am I way off base here ?

Don’t get me wrong It will be an amazing comp to watch with great talent, but I just can’t see how the numbers add up ? If the Salary cap is 80k and there’s 18 games that means $4,400 per game ??

What would be a standard player payment for these top recruits $1000-$1500 per game …

If you add that up for a few clubs then there’s not much left for their loyal homegrown players ??

I think AFL Queensland need to either up the salary cap or audit the books .. to be a legit state league like they say then the cap should be at least $150k . But we all know there’s clubs that definitely can’t afford that.

So how do they find common ground ?

I hope an underdog club like Sherwood, Mt Gravatt or Surfers get up, win the comp and prove me wrong but I just can’t see how they can compete with the big money clubs $$$

Happy to be proved wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back