QAFL 2022

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
P
Im just reporting a conversation I had with a particular QAFL club Football Manager at the Grand Final on Saturday , ( and the person/ club is from a Brissbane based club ). This is a forum where we as a group of QAFL supporters can comment on all things heard and seen and this is what Im doing , In no way saying its correct but it creates response etc etc

Incredibly s**t form from whoever that was to comment on a fellow Brisbane club in that fashion.

QAFLFAN

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Now that’s the GF is done and dusted . What’s the update for QAFL club coaches . These are things that I have heard over the last month

Aspley
Daniel Webster staying . Win a flag so of course you stay

BroadBeach
Craig O’brien staying
There was a rumour that Hill was taking over or being groomed for the job ? Not sure about that, pretty sure it was fake news

Labrador
Nick Malceski staying not a lot of news out of Labrador . I would assume they would be disappointed with their end to the season .

Redland
Phil Carse going or staying ? Big changes at club with sports club withdrawing funding and I heard the cricket club were coming back to use the oval and a pitch going in ? That’s not going to be fun for all concerned

Noosa
Chris Rourke staying . Great job all happy at Noosa the interest will be in their recruiting .

Maroochydore
Ben Jones staying probably get back a few players next season so expect them to be even tougher .

Palm Beach
Russel Maloney ? Staying or going ? Financial woes at social club from the road works and club not working at capacity? Not sure how that effects footy

Wilston Grange
Brent Maloney Staying or going? Seems to have issues with not getting bang for buck out of his list . Is he the best man for the job

Surfers Paradise
Brad Moore gone . Told to re apply but maybe it was time for a change. Apparently club is out recruiting hard and maybe found some money from somewhere . Who will get this coaching gig and who’s applied

Morning side
Clint Watts gone . Trouble with Diamond and Watts seemed to be the catalyst. They’ve lost a tonne of players over last 3 seasons hope they get a great fit with their board and coaches . Who will get this coaching gig and who’s applied

Mt Gravatt
Tony Lynn staying . Rumours of financial issues and substandard oval didn’t help with lost income from missing home games

Sherwood
Adrian Fletcher gone . Sherwood have gone through a few coaches in a few years . Just need to find the right balance and they will be back on track . Seemed to go well at the end of the season so unsure why fletchers gone . Who will get this coaching gig and who’s applied

Plenty of moving parts by the looks of things so can anyone from each club comment on info above and if it’s right or wrong and when we expect new coaches to be appointed.

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now that’s the GF is done and dusted . What’s the update for QAFL club coaches . These are things that I have heard over the last month

Aspley
Daniel Webster staying . Win a flag so of course you stay

BroadBeach
Craig O’brien staying
There was a rumour that Hill was taking over or being groomed for the job ? Not sure about that, pretty sure it was fake news

Labrador
Nick Malceski staying not a lot of news out of Labrador . I would assume they would be disappointed with their end to the season .

Redland
Phil Carse going or staying ? Big changes at club with sports club withdrawing funding and I heard the cricket club were coming back to use the oval and a pitch going in ? That’s not going to be fun for all concerned

Noosa
Chris Rourke staying . Great job all happy at Noosa the interest will be in their recruiting .

Maroochydore
Ben Jones staying probably get back a few players next season so expect them to be even tougher .

Palm Beach
Russel Maloney ? Staying or going ? Financial woes at social club from the road works and club not working at capacity? Not sure how that effects footy

Wilston Grange
Brent Maloney Staying or going? Seems to have issues with not getting bang for buck out of his list . Is he the best man for the job

Surfers Paradise
Brad Moore gone . Told to re apply but maybe it was time for a change. Apparently club is out recruiting hard and maybe found some money from somewhere . Who will get this coaching gig and who’s applied

Morning side
Clint Watts gone . Trouble with Diamond and Watts seemed to be the catalyst. They’ve lost a tonne of players over last 3 seasons hope they get a great fit with their board and coaches . Who will get this coaching gig and who’s applied

Mt Gravatt
Tony Lynn staying . Rumours of financial issues and substandard oval didn’t help with lost income from missing home games

Sherwood
Adrian Fletcher gone . Sherwood have gone through a few coaches in a few years . Just need to find the right balance and they will be back on track . Seemed to go well at the end of the season so unsure why fletchers gone . Who will get this coaching gig and who’s applied

Plenty of moving parts by the looks of things so can anyone from each club comment on info above and if it’s right or wrong and when we expect new coaches to be appointed.

Think you'll find Morningside has asked Clint Watts to reapply..

Surfers have recruited a gun mid from the Goulburn Valley comp. From their FB page;

Unveiling our first recruit for season 2023.
Jayme Rekers.
Jayme is from country Victoria and has played previously for the Mansfield football club in the very strong Goulburn Valley Football leauge.
Jayme is 25 years old and is a hard nose midfielder who amassed 98 games prior to signing with the club.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon there are a few QAFL clubs in the hand to mouth category financially. But the great thing is each of these clubs seem to have fantastic volunteers who week in, week out, get the teams on the paddock.

BTW when does that new clubhouse start at Broady?

It’s more a tidy up and reno rather than new clubhouse. Hopefully all finished before next season. It’ll be a great improvement but we are still way behind the Aspleys Redland Labrador in this area.

Hopefully it helps bring in a few punters

QAFLFAN

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Surfers have recruited a gun mid from the Goulburn Valley comp. From their FB page;

Jayme Rekers.
Jayme is from country Victoria and has played previously for the Mansfield football club in the very strong Goulburn Valley Football leauge.
Jayme is 25 years old and is a hard nose midfielder who amassed 98 games prior to signing with the club.
My apologies yes Watts was asked to reapply. I hope he gets a gig if not at the panthers then at another club

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My apologies yes Watts was asked to reapply. I hope he gets a gig if not at the panthers then at another club
Word is thatWatts is out ,, the club very unhappy with a number of things with him.. has been asked to re apply yes true but all political,, he will not get re appointed is the word

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Jayme Rekers.
thats great ,, but they need about 5 of these quality recruits to get to finals placings next season

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fletcher won't be Senior Coach, but he's not gone.

Both parties wanted to continue, but time commitment not practical, especially with his young fella odds on the get drafted, so flexibility to watch your own sons career unfold is always understandably paramount and not compatible with coaching senior footy.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Both parties wanted to continue, but time commitment not practical, especially with his young fella odds on the get drafted, so flexibility to watch your own sons career unfold is always understandably paramount and not compatible with coaching senior footy.
Thommo, is the club ok financially

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Is fletch going to stay on in some sort of director of coaching role or simikar

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
SUNS LIONS Girls academy game live if anyone is interested.

I think you will see the boys on the same link after the girls. Level 1 boys, u14s?

Last edited:

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
The most ridiculous thing in football is asking for Coaches to reapply! It's an easy way out.
Would love to know 1. How many do(very few ide think) and 2. If they do , how many are reappointed .
There are many, but as its current topic, lets use Watts as the example here. If you've been at a club for a few years, as he has in this instance, they have seen him in charge of a good side and the better indicator of his coaching ability, seen him with a less talented side. The hierarchy should have a very good understanding of how he goes about things within the club across the whole gamut of coaching.
1.Does his philosophy align with the clubs
2.Does he build relationships with key stakeholders, with players no.1
3.Does he self reflect to improve himself, and does the club offer assistance
4.Does his football program align with the players available
5.Does he have the right support around him
The club also has to ask themselves the question
Have we supported him enough?

Answer yes or no to most of these and you have your answer!

Last edited:

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The most ridiculous thing in football is asking for Coaches to reapply! It's an easy way out.
Would love to know 1. How many do(very few ide think) and 2. If they do , how many are reappointed .
There are many, but as its current topic, lets use Watts as the example here. If you've been at a club for a few years, as he has in this instance, they have seen him in charge of a good side and the better indicator of his coaching ability, seen him with a less talented side. The hierarchy should have a very good understanding of how he goes about things within the club across the whole gamut of coaching.

As we all know, he made a call by including VFL players in the finals series in 2020 and 2021. Worked in 2020 with a flag. Didnt work out so well in 2021.

What was he supposed to do in 2021? Sherwood flogged the 2021 side the game before the finals. Then a heap of VFL players became available for the finals. The performance of the group v Sherwood dictated Watts had to make changes. Werent many of 'siders hierarchy questioning his decision, till after they lost..?

1. Although it would be easy for him to walk away, that he wants to have another go, despite everything, suggests he isnt a quitter.
2. Nup, got nothing
3. dunno
4. I believe he did pretty well with the group he had available. Morningside of 2022 is a severely depleted group. Overall, they were a lot more competitive than their 4 wins suggests, due in part no doubt to his coaching, if just by listening to his commentary, one can tell the bloke knows his onions. Looking at the two teams in the QAFL GF on Saturday, not many Siders players would make either side.
5. The answer to this is probably no. I know one of the coaching staff was white anting him. I listened to it. Dont know about others.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Totally agree the club should know about him by now, surely they meet at seasons end to ensure alignment remains and he wants to coach again, if that’s the case reappoint.

If the club no longer has confidence, grow a pair and say “thanks for your service but we believe it’s time for a new direction “

Then go through the process.

The reapply for your job is ridiculous and Actually may discourage others from applying if they think that the job mightn’t exist

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Totally agree the club should know about him by now, surely they meet at seasons end to ensure alignment remains and he wants to coach again, if that’s the case reappoint.

If the club no longer has confidence, grow a pair and say “thanks for your service but we believe it’s time for a new direction “

Then go through the process.

The reapply for your job is ridiculous and Actually may discourage others from applying if they think that the job mightn’t exist
I believe he was told he is not automatically being reappointed so if he wants to still coach he will have to reapply.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Totally agree that the Watts situation hasn’t been handled very well from both sides of fence.

He was always under pump when you lose 38 players from your 2021 list to various clubs and retirements.

Think Morningside will move forward in a positive way especially hearing the coaching candidates and recruitment already secured.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
As we all know, he made a call by including VFL players in the finals series in 2020 and 2021. Worked in 2020 with a flag. Didnt work out so well in 2021.

What was he supposed to do in 2021? Sherwood flogged the 2021 side the game before the finals. Then a heap of VFL players became available for the finals. The performance of the group v Sherwood dictated Watts had to make changes. Werent many of 'siders hierarchy questioning his decision, till after they lost..?

1. Although it would be easy for him to walk away, that he wants to have another go, despite everything, suggests he isnt a quitter.
2. Nup, got nothing
3. dunno
4. I believe he did pretty well with the group he had available. Morningside of 2022 is a severely depleted group. Overall, they were a lot more competitive than their 4 wins suggests, due in part no doubt to his coaching, if just by listening to his commentary, one can tell the bloke knows his onions. Looking at the two teams in the QAFL GF on Saturday, not many Siders players would make either side.
5. The answer to this is probably no. I know one of the coaching staff was white anting him. I listened to it. Dont know about others.
The problem with all of the above Required was all the players that Watts was loyal to and played in finals all went to other clubs , so in hindsight it was a massive blunder getting all the local boys off side for no future gain.

Think you selling Morningside list a little short saying that Downie, Cameron-Reeves, Triffet, Colenso , Castle , Hille etc wouldn’t get a game in either Broadbeach or Aspley sides.

Probably shows you are a little detached from what is really going on at Club.

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The problem with all of the above Required was all the players that Watts was loyal to and played in finals all went to other clubs , so in hindsight it was a massive blunder getting all the local boys off side for no future gain.

Think you selling Morningside list a little short saying that Downie, Cameron-Reeves, Triffet, Colenso , Castle , Hille etc wouldn’t get a game in either Broadbeach or Aspley sides.

Probably shows you are a little detached from what is really going on at Club.

*Hindsight is great. So is woulda, shoulda and coulda. You can throw in 'if' as well. Put yourself in his place, at that time, without hindsight and say you wouldnt have played those VFL boys in 2020 and 2021...

*I didnt say 'no one'. I said 'not many'. And no, not many would. IMO. Colenso and Triffet will do great in Victoria in the VFL next year.

*You are right, im not across all of what is going on, just putting in my 2c from what i know.

Last edited:

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hear on the grapevine that Mt Gravatt are financially in trouble and may well bow out of the Qafl comp and hear that Coorparoo may well put their hand up to to enter the QAFL for 2023

Im just reporting a conversation I had with a particular QAFL club Football Manager at the Grand Final on Saturday , ( and the person/ club is from a Brissbane based club ). This is a forum where we as a group of QAFL supporters can comment on all things heard and seen and this is what Im doing , In no way saying its correct but it creates response etc etc

Thommo, is the club ok financially

So exactly how many clubs in Brisbane did Perkins declare bankrupt while sipping bubbles in the AFLQ tent on Saturday while his VFL team won the QAFL flag?

nothing like a guy getting paid full-time to work at a gaming venue (sorry, footy club) who wants to make life difficult for volunteers at other clubs by spreading bullshit rumours.

should get a please explain from AFLQ with the crap he spins.

Edit: Apparently not Perkins (this time), my apologies.

Last edited:

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

2. Nup, got nothing
3. dunno

2020 you can forget about. He made a call to go all out, and he delivered a flag. Other clubs were doing the same and it was such a strange year there really was no right or wrong solution.

2021 was where the errors were made, loyal people likely willing to set aside 2020 - but guys like Aston who played all year to get dropped in finals with little or no warning was where the trouble started. He's then gone to Redlands and averaged 30+ so you have to query that call, however its chicken and egg. Did he go there with a point to prove and therefore play better footy, or was it a horrendous call to leave him out in the first place?

People this didn't directly impact are still affected too. They see that sort of thing happen and think there is zero loyalty here, so I'll show zero loyalty in return and packed their bags.

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2020 you can forget about. He made a call to go all out, and he delivered a flag. Other clubs were doing the same and it was such a strange year there really was no right or wrong solution.

2021 was where the errors were made, loyal people likely willing to set aside 2020 - but guys like Aston who played all year to get dropped in finals with little or no warning was where the trouble started. He's then gone to Redlands and averaged 30+ so you have to query that call, however its chicken and egg. Did he go there with a point to prove and therefore play better footy, or was it a horrendous call to leave him out in the first place?

People this didn't directly impact are still affected too. They see that sort of thing happen and think there is zero loyalty here, so I'll show zero loyalty in return and packed their bags.

See, in hindsight one would be more 'strategic' and conservative with the VFL 'ins' in 2021. No one would blame him for using 'some'. But he had no benefit of hindsight. He had a squad that just got flogged by 6th placed Sherwood heading into finals. Then suddenly, he has (again) VFL players at his disposal that saw him win the flag the previous season.

Im sure it crossed his mind about loyalty to the group. But his job is also winning flags. He had the chance to go back to back. Those VFL players must have seemed like a godsend after getting trounced by Sherwood. He may have guessed that another flag would prove him right and smooth things over? Anyway, he went all out to to win the 2nd flag and it didnt work out. You know the rest..

When you put yourself in his position at that time, without hindsight, what did he do that one can actually judge him harshly on?

Last edited:
Back