QAFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Whist nothing to do with our comp I went down to my home town be it Albury to watch the Ovens and Murray granny,, and what a game ,, Wangaratta winning by 3 points over Yarrawoga. Very high standard and a crowd of close to 9000,,
I watched on stream Stuyd and whilst was a good game for closeness I thought the standard looked a little below QAFL if you compare GF’s.

I watched on stream Stuyd and whilst was a good game for closeness I thought the standard looked a little below QAFL if you compare GF’s.

Bit of a (growing) difference in top of the ladder and bottom teams in the QAFL? Shows up during the season when depth is needed.

Arguably, the competence of a teams bottom 6 on the paddock is more important than how great ones top 6 are. There is a much smaller difference between a good player and an marquis one, than a good player and someone who struggles at that level.

Last edited:
Bit of a (growing) difference in top of the ladder and bottom teams in the QAFL? Shows up during the season when depth is needed.

Arguably, the competence of a teams bottom 6 on the paddock is more important than how great ones top 6 are. There is a much smaller difference between a good player and an marquis one, than a good player and someone who struggles at that level.
Yea not sure I agree Required - if anything the difference bn top and bottom teams is narrowing imo. This season there was a number of close games and no obviously poor bottom side unlike previous. Even the finals series was very competitive.

Yea not sure I agree Required - if anything the difference bn top and bottom teams is narrowing imo. This season there was a number of close games and no obviously poor bottom side unlike previous. Even the finals series was very competitive.
Top 4 v bottom 4. As i said, top of the ladder and bottom of the ladder...

GF only Highlighted the difference.

Top 4 v bottom 4. As i said, top of the ladder and bottom of the ladder...

GF only Highlighted the difference.
You're right Required but its been like that for 150 years in all competitions. Refer this years AFL Grand Final. When tbe best team in the comp gets on a roll they can destroy the 2nd best side

You're right Required but its been like that for 150 years in all competitions. Refer this years AFL Grand Final. When tbe best team in the comp gets on a roll they can destroy the 2nd best side
I meant the quality of the two sides in the GF compared to the bottom sides.

IMO its depth that is missing from the bottom of the ladder seniors sides. Its no coincidence their reserves are also on the bottom. I dont think they need to get a heap of marquis players from down south, (though a couple would help) so much as they need to raid div1 and 2.

When the bottom sides have been healthy with no outs they show they can compete, but during a long season that is often not the case, and thats where ones depth gets tested.

Lets be realistic here.

Aspley are a VFL side, it would not actually even be possible to create their list within the rules of the competition were they not dropping back from the VFL with generous concessions. Same goes for Redland.

Broadbeach are in a purple patch, but lets not forget it was a long and patient wait for success for them and probably a little unfortunate for them that they might have won 3 in a row if it weren't for the structural changes to the competition in the last few years.

The last uncompromised premiership was won by Surfers Paradise, they are now at the other end of the ladder - but had very recent success.

Any ladder needs a top 4 and a bottom 4 and I feel the competition will even itself out slowly in the coming years as the impacts of VFL/NEAFL concessions dissipate and clubs get to a more level playing field.

Junior development will play a greater role than previously, though the rumoured changes to the points cap might change that, with competitions like Ovens & Murray rumoured to only be 3 pointers - allowing cashed up clubs to recruit freely from that competition.

Lets be realistic here.

Aspley are a VFL side, it would not actually even be possible to create their list within the rules of the competition were they not dropping back from the VFL with generous concessions. Same goes for Redland.

Broadbeach are in a purple patch, but lets not forget it was a long and patient wait for success for them and probably a little unfortunate for them that they might have won 3 in a row if it weren't for the structural changes to the competition in the last few years.

The last uncompromised premiership was won by Surfers Paradise, they are now at the other end of the ladder - but had very recent success.

Any ladder needs a top 4 and a bottom 4 and I feel the competition will even itself out slowly in the coming years as the impacts of VFL/NEAFL concessions dissipate and clubs get to a more level playing field.

Junior development will play a greater role than previously, though the rumoured changes to the points cap might change that, with competitions like Ovens & Murray rumoured to only be 3 pointers - allowing cashed up clubs to recruit freely from that competition.
You keep saying Aspley and Redlands are going to slide because they arent in the VFL anymore. And that the bottom of the ladder clubs will rise 'in time'. How long you got?

Both Aspley and Redlands (the 2 richest Brisbane clubs?) have got $$$. Although their colts sides are on the bottom of the ladder, having no QFA colts next season may see an influx? Aspley reserves are strong, while Redlands are competitive. Both clubs are wealthy and have said they are going to run their programs as if they are still in the VFL. Both these wealthy clubs can cover their lack of junior depth, with $$$ recruitment... Rules? What rules?

Broadbeach colts made the GF, their reserves are strong. They arent going south anytime soon. PBC won the colts and u16s GF. Their reserves made the finals, seniors nearly made the GF.

Although the remaining Brisbane clubs dont have the $$$ of Aspley and Redlands, they do have strong juniors. Their problem is they havent the seniors depth. (Grange has mande an attempt at it) They have to get these players from somewhere if they want to be at the pointy end any time soon.. Waiting for juniors to build your depth could take years.

Last edited:
I think its not as bad a situation as you are looking at Required. I agree with Miller - Broadbeach in a great window right now with strength across the board. It was only 6-7 years ago they were nearly forfeiting 2's games due to lack of players. The wheel turns much faster at this level of footy than AFL level (both ways!)
TBH i think its more about getting things right off field and having some luck with keeping your best juniors but also your better senior players. No coincidence that the top 4 sides had minimal list turnover from '21 to '22. Like Miller said Aspley has been gifted some fortune with the points allocations which no one else would be allowed to create a list from as it stands but so be it. They also got the important elements right of a very good coach and his assistants.
As per usual will be an interesting off season to see who arrives / leaves this level of football.

You keep saying Aspley and Redlands are going to slide because they arent in the VFL anymore. And that the bottom of the ladder clubs will rise 'in time'. How long you got?

Both Aspley and Redlands (the 2 richest Brisbane clubs?) have got $$$. Although their colts sides are on the bottom of the ladder, having no QFA colts next season may see an influx? Aspley reserves are strong, while Redlands are competitive. Both clubs are wealthy and have said they are going to run their programs as if they are still in the VFL. Both these wealthy clubs can cover their lack of junior depth, with $$$ recruitment... Rules? What rules?

Broadbeach colts made the GF, their reserves are strong. They arent going south anytime soon. PBC won the colts and u16s GF. Their reserves made the finals, seniors nearly made the GF.

Although the remaining Brisbane clubs dont have the $$$ of Aspley and Redlands, they do have strong juniors. Their problem is they havent the seniors depth. (Grange has mande an attempt at it) They have to get these players from somewhere if they want to be at the pointy end any time soon.. Waiting for juniors to build your depth could take years.

what you need to understand is that they will slide because its actually not possible for them to put those lists together in the future within the rules.

Aspley have 12+ guys with over 100 games experience at NEAFL or VFL level, if any of the Brisbane clubs wanted to recruit any of them - apart from the handful of juniors from other QAFL clubs (Wolbers, Allen etc) they would be a 5 pointer. Yet playing at Aspley, they are 1 and 2 pointers due to the seasons of service loophole. This loophole is closed, they can't get VFL 1 pointers going forward.

If you picked up the Aspley list and moved it to Grange, it would be 75+ points with a 50 point cap. Yet there are less than 5 Aspley juniors in their Premiership side, so the points concession has come from the seasons of service loophole.

Redland are a little different, but with the same loophole. 100+ game NEAFL players are 1 pointers as they are getting seasons of service discounts playing in a different competition. They are also chock full of blokes from other QAFL clubs who went their to play a higher level (justifiably so) and then stayed when Redland dropped back, but remarkably many of them play against their former club or junior club as a 1 pointer. Rolls, Franks, Johnson, Stallard, Huddy are all prime examples of this. Kids like that that moved for the opportunity to play a higher level won't be moving anymore, because in Brisbane there is QAFL and thats it. So the likes of Rolls and Hammelman would likely still be at Morningside, Franks, Stallard, Johnson at Sherwood, Huddy at Mt Gravatt and so on.

This won't correct itself immediately, but it will happen pretty quickly. All the gun u16 and Colts players who used to leave these clubs to go play NEAFL won't do it anymore because there is nowhere to go. Strong Colts will be a much better pointer to future success than it used to be, because in the past a strong Colts team meant you would probably lose 30% of them to NEAFL or interstate, now that number will reduce.

You continue to talk like one season of footy is how it will be forever. Noosa were winless in 2021 and played finals in 2022. Marcoohydore were grand finalists in 2021 and missed finals in 2022. Surfers won the flag in 2019 and been bottom 3 since. Sherwood were in a Prelim in 2020, flying in 2021 and won the spoon this year. Morningside won the flag in 2020 and now struggling. Things happen very quickly and most of these clubs have smart people making moves to enhance their clubs prospects, but one thing for certain is there will be a bottom 4 again in 2023 and a top 4 as well. I doubt it will be the same ones again, because it never is despite how the previous year went.

Lets be realistic here.

This is actually the most agreeable thing you've ever written on here.

I think its not as bad a situation as you are looking at Required. I agree with Miller - Broadbeach in a great window right now with strength across the board. It was only 6-7 years ago they were nearly forfeiting 2's games due to lack of players. The wheel turns much faster at this level of footy than AFL level (both ways!)
TBH i think its more about getting things right off field and having some luck with keeping your best juniors but also your better senior players. No coincidence that the top 4 sides had minimal list turnover from '21 to '22. Like Miller said Aspley has been gifted some fortune with the points allocations which no one else would be allowed to create a list from as it stands but so be it. They also got the important elements right of a very good coach and his assistants.
As per usual will be an interesting off season to see who arrives / leaves this level of football.
Agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what you need to understand is that they will slide because its actually not possible for them to put those lists together in the future within the rules.

Aspley have 12+ guys with over 100 games experience at NEAFL or VFL level, if any of the Brisbane clubs wanted to recruit any of them - apart from the handful of juniors from other QAFL clubs (Wolbers, Allen etc) they would be a 5 pointer. Yet playing at Aspley, they are 1 and 2 pointers due to the seasons of service loophole. This loophole is closed, they can't get VFL 1 pointers going forward.

If you picked up the Aspley list and moved it to Grange, it would be 75+ points with a 50 point cap. Yet there are less than 5 Aspley juniors in their Premiership side, so the points concession has come from the seasons of service loophole.

Redland are a little different, but with the same loophole. 100+ game NEAFL players are 1 pointers as they are getting seasons of service discounts playing in a different competition. They are also chock full of blokes from other QAFL clubs who went their to play a higher level (justifiably so) and then stayed when Redland dropped back, but remarkably many of them play against their former club or junior club as a 1 pointer. Rolls, Franks, Johnson, Stallard, Huddy are all prime examples of this. Kids like that that moved for the opportunity to play a higher level won't be moving anymore, because in Brisbane there is QAFL and thats it. So the likes of Rolls and Hammelman would likely still be at Morningside, Franks, Stallard, Johnson at Sherwood, Huddy at Mt Gravatt and so on.

This won't correct itself immediately, but it will happen pretty quickly. All the gun u16 and Colts players who used to leave these clubs to go play NEAFL won't do it anymore because there is nowhere to go. Strong Colts will be a much better pointer to future success than it used to be, because in the past a strong Colts team meant you would probably lose 30% of them to NEAFL or interstate, now that number will reduce.

You continue to talk like one season of footy is how it will be forever. Noosa were winless in 2021 and played finals in 2022. Marcoohydore were grand finalists in 2021 and missed finals in 2022. Surfers won the flag in 2019 and been bottom 3 since. Sherwood were in a Prelim in 2020, flying in 2021 and won the spoon this year. Morningside won the flag in 2020 and now struggling. Things happen very quickly and most of these clubs have smart people making moves to enhance their clubs prospects, but one thing for certain is there will be a bottom 4 again in 2023 and a top 4 as well. I doubt it will be the same ones again, because it never is despite how the previous year went.
AGREE

Regardless of all issues , we have a comp that is now of a very high standard. Its a semi professional comp thats producing a great standard of footy due to professional off field people at each club as well as good players. Its exteremely quick and many of the gun recruits that come up from victoria say they in no way expected the standard of the comp be of the quality it is and most of them mention how quick it is on game day,
Also one must respect and acknowledge the huge amount of work every club and its people put in all year in so many facets to have the club participate in all grades and now the womens grades. I mean this is a massive amount of work etc .
We have a very good comp here guys ,, better standards then most comps in the country ( outside the obvious comps )
I for me as a footy tragic are luving watching this great grassroots footy ,
To all clubs ,, I congratulate you ,, keep up the great work

Regardless of all issues , we have a comp that is now of a very high standard. Its a semi professional comp thats producing a great standard of footy due to professional off field people at each club as well as good players. Its exteremely quick and many of the gun recruits that come up from victoria say they in no way expected the standard of the comp be of the quality it is and most of them mention how quick it is on game day,
Also one must respect and acknowledge the huge amount of work every club and its people put in all year in so many facets to have the club participate in all grades and now the womens grades. I mean this is a massive amount of work etc .
We have a very good comp here guys ,, better standards then most comps in the country ( outside the obvious comps )
I for me as a footy tragic are luving watching this great grassroots footy ,
To all clubs ,, I congratulate you ,, keep up the great work
Stuyd couldn’t agree more mate. The work that goes into running a club is enormous and the way clubs provide the product at home games is equal to anywhere around Australia.

I still feel the league is lagging behind in promoting our main competition compared to other states. Understand this is funding but surely the AFL with new TV rights can get this right up here.

Not having a good league medal count is a huge let down. Not live streaming or doing votes for every game /every round is just another area of failure.

I understand the impact and importance of womens footy but does that have to be at the expense of the major competition.

Interested in everyone’s thoughts in regards where the league can improve to support clubs?

Stuyd couldn’t agree more mate. The work that goes into running a club is enormous and the way clubs provide the product at home games is equal to anywhere around Australia.

I still feel the league is lagging behind in promoting our main competition compared to other states. Understand this is funding but surely the AFL with new TV rights can get this right up here.

Not having a good league medal count is a huge let down. Not live streaming or doing votes for every game /every round is just another area of failure.

I understand the impact and importance of womens footy but does that have to be at the expense of the major competition.

Interested in everyone’s thoughts in regards where the league can improve to support clubs?

Always a little pop at the womens comp from you mate…

Agree with you ,, the QAFL is now a higher standard comp then these vic / and vic metro comps

unsure what you guys were watching, but Wang Magpies and Yarra looked stronger than any QAFL sides.

though the footy is a bit slower with bigger bodies, slower decks and probably a better class of key position player compared the expansive run at the top end of QAFL.

Wang Magpies had a pretty impressive outfit out there, Ben Reid can certainly still clunk them and Ankers and Clarke from NT know how to find the footy.

Heres the game. Judge for yourselves..

Having a high camera like this and on a quality field can make a game look more professional. Not sure how that works, but the colts GF in 2019 between PBC and Grange (??) filmed and played at at metricon, made the game look a lot higher quality than a ground level camera at a suburban park would. Just sayin..

Any chance of a pre season challenge? ANZAC day challenge? Etc. Last seasons GFinalists play eachother? Would be interesting.

Last edited:
This forum should be closed and a new forum opened called "Off season bullshit and sour grapes". 2022 is over and all that's left is drunken pub talk of the shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Heres the game. Judge for yourselves..

Having a high camera like this and on a quality field can make a game look more professional. Not sure how that works, but the colts GF in 2019 between PBC and Grange (??) filmed and played at at metricon, made the game look a lot higher quality than a ground level camera at a suburban park would. Just sayin..

Any chance of a pre season challenge? ANZAC day challenge? Etc. Last seasons GFinalists play eachother? Would be interesting.

if you wanna see a goal of the year from one of the best country footballers going around skip to 4:10:15

Always a little pop at the womens comp from you mate…
Not a pop, I just feel womens competition should have their own medal count the same as Grogan.

Just seems wrong that Grogan Medal Night now impacted to fit same Medal for QAFLW.

Think they could run all the Womens League vote counts together on same night.

Not a pop, I just feel womens competition should have their own medal count the same as Grogan.

Just seems wrong that Grogan Medal Night now impacted to fit same Medal for QAFLW.

Think they could run all the Womens League vote counts together on same night.
havent been to grogan for a long time. whats it like now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back