QAFL 2022

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
If attempting to, or even actually successfully, encouraging young talent to come to your club makes you a stain then there sure have been plenty of stains on the scene over the years.

attempting to secure young talent to be part of a senior program is perfectly acceptable.

Chasing u16 kids to move to your club to pay youth footy is deplorable behaviour, let them see out their junior days where they started and get them over when it matters.

Aspley and Morningside worst offenders for a very long time.

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
attempting to secure young talent to be part of a senior program is perfectly acceptable.

Chasing u16 kids to move to your club to pay youth footy is deplorable behaviour, let them see out their junior days where they started and get them over when it matters.

Aspley and Morningside worst offenders for a very long time.
I took my young fella there when he was 15. No one suggested it, and rightly or wrongly, I just deemed it a 'destination' blue ribbon club where I had presumed he would be more 'visible', train with peers of a high standard, get a more 'professional' coaching approach. No one ever suggested the club, and speaking to a lot of the parents there, they also had never been approached to go to Morningside. They either had been there for years, or were the same as me and decided it would be a good place for their son to get his best opportunities.

Where all this 'Morningside poaches kids' comes from, I dont know? Ive never heard of 1 case of it. And dont worry, if i knew of one, id say so! I do know one particular Academy coach has been accused of being pro Morningside. But ive never seen it. I have heard him dismiss another QAFL club as an alternative, but no one i know has ever said that Morningside rang, or poached, or suggested, etc a player go there. And like i said, if i knew of a case, id say so!

Big clubs like Morningside are a self fulfilling prophecy. Because they are big and shiny, they ATTRACT kids (parents actually) who want the (presumed) visibility, coaching, talented peers, etc. Which of course makes them bigger, more depth, more success, more attractive; big and shiny.

They dont have to poach players. They turn kids away at 3 teams in each age group...

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I took my young fella there when he was 15. No one suggested it, and rightly or wrongly, I just deemed it a 'destination' blue ribbon club where I had presumed he would be more 'visible', train with peers of a high standard, get a more 'professional' coaching approach. No one ever suggested the club, and speaking to a lot of the parents there, they also had never been approached to go to Morningside. They either had been there for years, or were the same as me and decided it would be a good place for their son to get his best opportunities.

Where all this 'Morningside poaches kids' comes from, I dont know? Ive never heard of 1 case of it. And dont worry, if i knew of one, id say so! I do know one particular Academy coach has been accused of being pro Morningside. But ive never seen it. I have heard him dismiss another QAFL club as an alternative, but no one i know has ever said that Morningside rang, or poached, or suggested, etc a player go there. And like i said, if i knew of a case, id say so!

Big clubs like Morningside are a self fulfilling prophecy. Because they are big and shiny, they ATTRACT kids (parents actually) who want the (presumed) visibility, coaching, talented peers, etc. Which of course makes them bigger, more depth, more success, more attractive; big and shiny.

They dont have to poach players. They turn kids away at 3 teams in each age group...
agree

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Correct the younger brothers of Collingwoods Jack Crisp and cousins to Jai Fitzpatrick! Very happy to have them and would love Jack moreso!Go Pies!

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just to clear a couple of things up that may be presumed..

In going to the big shiny club, did it actually have all the development advantages one presumed? The better coaching, more visibility, benefits of training with talented peers, etc?

*More visibility, definitely.
*But better coaching, benefits of training with a strong group, etc? No.

Most clubs provide pretty good coaching. There isnt much difference between a div1 or div4 coach as an ex-footballing parent is most likely the coach in any junior club. I cant say the junior coaching was any better at Siders than other lower division clubs my son played at.

Training with higher division players doesnt necessarily aid in ones development either. In the lower divisions kids often find the ball hits the ground more, thereby potentially improving ones groundball skills. How important is that? Some say clean hands are the most important skill? A stronger group will hit targets better hence the ball is off the ground more, and drills are run a bit quicker, cleaner.

In my experience, the lower division clubs will elevate the skills of youth just as well as the div1 clubs. If a youth wants to take their footy a bit further, he or she probably needs to be at a div1 club by about 15yo, (only if a kid wants to persue rep footy) if only for visibility. Rightly or wrongly, div1 gets looked at a lot more, though school rep footy is the pathway up till u16s.

Lastly, if you want your child to have good footy skills, kick the footy with them..

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I have lurked on this section of Big Footy for years(great knowledgeable content) without posting, just on juniors and poaching. My grandson played Div 1 Under 14 for one of the "lesser" clubs this season, poaching of junior players is a fact, personally I can not see too much wrong with it, players/their parents at our club have been approached to change clubs, the answer to this stage has been no because said players just want to play with their mates. Nobody is forcing/badgering these players to change clubs.

Getting personal details from academy lists is wrong though. Plenty of opportunities to talk to players and parents in person during a season.

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes SMY big Brendan Crisp is a cousin.All originally from Myrtleford! As per usual we are losing a few(back to Victoria and travelling overseas) but will pick up a few also!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Any word on recently retired AFL players joining the QAFL next year? We saw a few last year like Liam Jones, Lachie Henderson, Jarrod Harbrow and Michael Rischitelli. Can we expect to see more for the 2023 season?

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any word on recently retired AFL players joining the QAFL next year? We saw a few last year like Liam Jones, Lachie Henderson, Jarrod Harbrow and Michael Rischitelli. Can we expect to see more for the 2023 season?

Was reported BB secured have Jacob Townsend from GC..

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was reported BB secured have Jacob Townsend from GC..
Technically from Southport as he played for the Sharks this year but still a good pick up for Broady. I remember there was word he had been training at Broadbeach around this time last year and people had speculated that he was heading to the Cats then but I guess Southport swooped and secured him. He's probably keen to settle down at Broady and not have to travel interstate every second or third week. He'll do well in the QAFL and hopefully he teaches young Jake Rogers a thing or two.

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Eat s**t AFL... The NRL with Jimmy Barnes just blew your pre match to hell!!

Still our greatest entertainer. Blew the stadium apart!!! What a legend!

Last edited:

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
NRL is a working class game. AFL is a mob of rainbow fairies quaffing champers on the sidelines. (go to a friday night juniors game at Victoria point and youll see what i mean) . And you can tell by the entertainment.

Back