QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a priority if they want massive increase in participation in QLD you would think to get some eyes on local footy
Dont know where you guys are coming from,, Qld footy has had massive growth in player particiapation over the past 3 years especially in all levels and in the females area.. Aus Kick does a great job around the clubs and schools etc etc .. the comps all over the state have very little clubs disbanding ,,, go look at the victorian and southern riverina areas,, there are clubs all over the joint disbanding, merging and many on the bones of their knees. Its not social media exposure as the powerhouse ,, its the work of the AFL, AFLQ , ALL FOOTY CLUBS ,SCHOOLS etc that are creating this player growth / participation

Dont know where you guys are coming from,, Qld footy has had massive growth in player particiapation over the past 3 years especially in all levels and in the females area.. Aus Kick does a great job around the clubs and schools etc etc .. the comps all over the state have very little clubs disbanding ,,, go look at the victorian and southern riverina areas,, there are clubs all over the joint disbanding, merging and many on the bones of their knees. Its not social media exposure as the powerhouse ,, its the work of the AFL, AFLQ , ALL FOOTY CLUBS ,SCHOOLS etc that are creating this player growth / participation
I hear what is being said and its all negative when in real terms there is heaps of positive stuff ,, and whist there are posters bagging stuff ,,well if you are one of these baggers give us a solution to fix things ,,, bet u havent got the solution !!!!!

I hear what is being said and its all negative when in real terms there is heaps of positive stuff ,, and whist there are posters bagging stuff ,,well if you are one of these baggers give us a solution to fix things ,,, bet u havent got the solution !!!!!
Stu not sure you travel outside Gold Coast mate but I can tell you lot of clubs struggling for youth boys numbers in particular.

When I got involved in junior footy 16 years ago we had 5 or 6 Divisions in every competition from U12’s/14’s/16’s boys in particular and each Division had 8+ teams. I can’t see anywhere near those numbers now and we have added GC and Sunny Coast teams in at higher divisions.

We only have one U19”S competition now as well which I think we had 3 healthy competitions back then.

Granted female participation has gone through roof but boys numbers definitely declined dramatically from 14-19 year olds.

AFL put heap of money into female participation and came up with Girls Play To slogan which caught on and has been great.

But think same efforts need to be put back into boys footy for mine

Stuyd, I’m not sure what you read but there were plenty of thoughts and solutions suggested.

One was to balance the socials from our state association and move the balance towards local comps, local clubs, local players & local volunteers.

Another was that with the projected increase in participants it requires a meticulously planned equivalent increase in infrastructure, green space and better support for already stretched volunteers which may require different club structures.

If the administrators of our game have that in hand then great. However it’s a very big job and there is a significant reduction in the man power at H.O. than was prior to COVID.

Apparently all the clubs requested more social media coverage and interviews etc in regards QAFL Competition not Brisbane Lions on our Facebook/Website as not supporting local footy enough.

Also need better coverage with live stream games and commentary.

Good point SM. We all love and support the higher levels. Some more local social content would assist create more interest at our local grounds.

If you peruse the social media and websites of a bunch of clubs, they do a far better job of promoting the game than AFLQ do and they do it on little or no budget, mostly with volunteers. Club volunteers with an iphone in their pocket and 5 minutes to spare are producing better content than full-time paid employees. Their website is an embarassment, its out of date, impossible to navigate and they have a boss who is more interested in getting herself in front of the next camera, than rolling up the sleeves and understanding the game and what drives growth in the area. Then even worse, gets on radio this week and rolls out the entire AFL playbook reading from a sheet of paper that was probably produced by a competent AFL employee in Melbourne. Don't tell everyone about it, just bloody do it!

If you peruse the social media and websites of a bunch of clubs, they do a far better job of promoting the game than AFLQ do and they do it on little or no budget, mostly with volunteers. Club volunteers with an iphone in their pocket and 5 minutes to spare are producing better content than full-time paid employees. Their website is an embarassment, its out of date, impossible to navigate and they have a boss who is more interested in getting herself in front of the next camera, than rolling up the sleeves and understanding the game and what drives growth in the area. Then even worse, gets on radio this week and rolls out the entire AFL playbook reading from a sheet of paper that was probably produced by a competent AFL employee in Melbourne. Don't tell everyone about it, just bloody do it!

Totally agree!!

Well first time to put a post up on bigfooty.

I was looking for the QAFL 2024 thread, Has one been created?

Agree, though I would argue 95% of the heavy lifting for this growth comes from the clubs.

Yes Auskick is a great gateway to our game.

We promote it, run it, supply all the coaches and volunteers for it, do the administration, visit schools etc

Other than provide a platform (playhq) for people to register for Auskick, AFLQ don't have a great deal to do with it. The guy that we do deal with for Auskick at AFLQ is fantastic, but he doesn't need to do much.

AFLHQ also do a great job by supplying such good value for money with the kit the kids get given when they sign up, but the experience of playing and participating is almost 100% created and supplied by clubland.

Prior to NEAFL all comps used to get a preview and review via AFLQ website. All coaches got a call on a Fri and Mon. And all teams were named on Fri morning (was a club fine if not submitted). Great exposure for lower levels. Even used to do a team of the year for each division. Times have changed, but this was a way of giving each club some type of relevance at senior level.

For a period there was even a digital "AFLQ Record" which was published each week. I'm sure I could track some down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stu not sure you travel outside Gold Coast mate but I can tell you lot of clubs struggling for youth boys numbers in particular.

When I got involved in junior footy 16 years ago we had 5 or 6 Divisions in every competition from U12’s/14’s/16’s boys in particular and each Division had 8+ teams. I can’t see anywhere near those numbers now and we have added GC and Sunny Coast teams in at higher divisions.

We only have one U19”S competition now as well which I think we had 3 healthy competitions back then.

Granted female participation has gone through roof but boys numbers definitely declined dramatically from 14-19 year olds.

AFL put heap of money into female participation and came up with Girls Play To slogan which caught on and has been great.

But think same efforts need to be put back into boys footy for mine
Still Me ,, yes correct ,, but the point I was trying to make is that QLD grass roots footy is looking ok compared to the decline of the clubs etc down south ,, I mean you have numerous comps where during the home and away season bottom teams are being beaten by like 40 goals plus and thats no pump ,, its happening every round in most comps down there ,,

May I add the top half of teams in the country comps are good and the top 3 teams are of high standard for the comp they are in

Agree, though I would argue 95% of the heavy lifting for this growth comes from the clubs.

Yes Auskick is a great gateway to our game.

We promote it, run it, supply all the coaches and volunteers for it, do the administration, visit schools etc

Other than provide a platform (playhq) for people to register for Auskick, AFLQ don't have a great deal to do with it. The guy that we do deal with for Auskick at AFLQ is fantastic, but he doesn't need to do much.

AFLHQ also do a great job by supplying such good value for money with the kit the kids get given when they sign up, but the experience of playing and participating is almost 100% created and supplied by clubland.
Not sure if that is the case on the coast Thommo - could be wrong but I was under the impression that the schools were contacted by AFLQ people and the club provided the venue. Like I said could be wrong.
I think it's important to put all expectations of AFL(Q) into context with other sports too - gee I'm glad we are Aust football people and not ra ra, soccer or even cricket club people. Think these codes drag the chain poorly compared to what we tolerate.

Still Me ,, yes correct ,, but the point I was trying to make is that QLD grass roots footy is looking ok compared to the decline of the clubs etc down south ,, I mean you have numerous comps where during the home and away season bottom teams are being beaten by like 40 goals plus and thats no pump ,, its happening every round in most comps down there ,,

May I add the top half of teams in the country comps are good and the top 3 teams are of high standard for the comp they are in
Yep - agree. Again important to recognise what happens outside our bubble - may not be perfect but it is significantly better than many other areas of Australia that are trying their best to keep heads above water

Remove this Banner Ad

Back