QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLQ wouldn’t be waiting till late Jan early Feb to make a decision. As, if they fall out (which I doubt they will this year) they would need to redo the fixture for Div 1 and subsequently would mean no colts for Mt Gravatt if they went down. Being QAFL, AFLQ would have given them till December to decide. Although it is AFLQ so who knows. I think they have the numbers, just won’t be competitive. Most of their signings are blokes who were fringe reserve players.
Mate, I was joking

They wouldn’t drop to Div 1. Remember Sandgate? If they can’t field 2 sides they won’t be Div 1.

When Sandgate dropped out, AFLQ were pushing for Div 1 teams to have Colts.

Now they are not allowed them.

I know its hard to keep up...bit like whether or not you are allowed 2 x Friday night teams.

The fixture for the new season , really what does it matter whom plays whom once or twice a season whenthe fact is if your team is good enough it will make the finals etc etc

My Broadbeach ,, have been very quiet during the off season ,, we have a new coach at senior level, as far as I know we have lost some 3 top line players and have recruited 3 players that I m not sure will make the cut so to speak,, Must remember we now have to pay the coach where as prior coach in O Brien was a no charge deal,, so that fact alone restricts us in the dollar specrtrum .
Anyway as I said ,, all is tight lipped compared to previous pre season announcements etc ,, I guess we have to wait and see
How does having to pay the coach impact the salary cap? I thought that coaching payments were outside of the salary cap and that's how some clubs got around signing and paying some recruits?
Or are you suggesting that Broadbeach can't afford a coach on top of the salary cap? Surely they are going better than that.

How does having to pay the coach impact the salary cap? I thought that coaching payments were outside of the salary cap and that's how some clubs got around signing and paying some recruits?
Or are you suggesting that Broadbeach can't afford a coach on top of the salary cap? Surely they are going better than that.
Its nothing to do with the salary cap ,, its about what funds are in the bank to spend on players coaches etc etc..
Broady are ok financially Ive been told ... they just had the luxury of not having to use some of these funds with coach OBrien

Its nothing to do with the salary cap ,, its about what funds are in the bank to spend on players coaches etc etc..
Broady are ok financially Ive been told ... they just had the luxury of not having to use some of these funds with coach OBrien
What’s the cost for a QAFL coach these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who each club plays twice in 2024

Aspley:
Broadbeach, Labrador, Morningside, Palm Beach, Redland, Surfers, Grange

Broadbeach: Aspley, Labrador, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Redland, Surfers, Grange

Labrador: Aspley, Broadbeach, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Noosa, Sherwood, Surfers

Maroochydore: Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Noosa, Palm Beach, Redland, Surfers, Grange

Morningside: Aspley, Broadbeach, Labrador, Maroochydore, Mt Gravatt, Noosa, Sherwood

Mt Gravatt: Broadbeach, Labrador, Maroochydore, Morningside, Noosa, Redland, Sherwood

Noosa: Labrador, Maroochydore, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Palm Beach, Sherwood, Grange

Palm Beach: Aspley, Maroochydore, Noosa, Redland, Sherwood, Surfers, Grange

Redland: Aspley, Broadbeach, Maroochydore, Mt Gravatt, Palm Beach, Surfers, Grange

Sherwood: Labrador, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Noosa, Palm Beach, Surfers, Grange

Surfers: Aspley, Broadbeach, Labrador, Maroochydore, Palm Beach, Redland, Sherwood

Grange: Aspley, Broadbeach, Maroochydore, Noosa, Palm Beach, Redland, Sherwood

Who has the hardest draw? - 2024 Fixture

The degree of difficulty is calculated by averaging last season's number of wins from teams a club plays twice. The higher the average means a club has a tougher fixture; the lower the average means an easier fixture.

2024 QAFL Fixture Difficulty (from hardest to easiest)
1. Aspley 10.29 (Hardest)
2. Broadbeach 10.14
2. Redland 10.14
4. Palm Beach 9.43
5. Surfers 9.29
6. Grange 9.14
7. Maroochydore 9
8. Labrador 8.43
9. Sherwood 8
10. Mt Gravatt 7.86
11. Morningside 7.71
12. Noosa 6.57 (Easiest)

After examining all 12 club's fixtures for 2024, Aspley have the most difficult and Noosa have the easiest fixture.

Who Aspley play twice: Broadbeach, Labrador, Morningside, Palm Beach, Redland, Surfers, Grange

Who Noosa play twice: Labrador, Maroochydore, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Palm Beach, Sherwood, Grange

So that was my question. If having to pay for a coach on top of the player salary cap is a stretch for one of the more successful clubs in recent times, then that would be a concern.
There has been plenty of talk about the inability to recruit and retain quality players in the competition due to salaryrestrictions (although it looks like many clubs have done well this year), and the desire to let clubs pay what they can to get quality players and use the points system as the cap. If the likes of Broadbeach are limited then it appears that a "free for all" from a player payment perspective would lead to a very lopsided comp and the risk of some clubs failing financially in an effort to keep up.

Having said all of that, I reckon that Stuyd is the master of under selling his club's prospects for the season. They were the biggest threat to Aspley last year, and arguably apart from the unexpected fade against Grange, should have been on their way to the GF. On top of that, their reserves had a high quality group of youngsters who on paper looked the team to win that GF had they played to their potential. If the new coach has the game plan, then I won't be surprised to see Broadbeach up the top again. And round 1 might give us an early indication.

So that was my question. If having to pay for a coach on top of the player salary cap is a stretch for one of the more successful clubs in recent times, then that would be a concern.
There has been plenty of talk about the inability to recruit and retain quality players in the competition due to salaryrestrictions (although it looks like many clubs have done well this year), and the desire to let clubs pay what they can to get quality players and use the points system as the cap. If the likes of Broadbeach are limited then it appears that a "free for all" from a player payment perspective would lead to a very lopsided comp and the risk of some clubs failing financially in an effort to keep up.

Having said all of that, I reckon that Stuyd is the master of under selling his club's prospects for the season. They were the biggest threat to Aspley last year, and arguably apart from the unexpected fade against Grange, should have been on their way to the GF. On top of that, their reserves had a high quality group of youngsters who on paper looked the team to win that GF had they played to their potential. If the new coach has the game plan, then I won't be surprised to see Broadbeach up the top again. And round 1 might give us an early indication.
I hear you but last season we lost more gun players then gained and thus were not as good a side as 2022,, Certainly my opinion was no way will we beat Aspley if that was to be the grand final playoff and to loose the The Grange after being 13 points up with about 4 minutes to go was totally unexpected ,,, ( well done the Grange ) ..
I feel our list this season is lesser in quality then 2023 ( going on what I know about gains and losses ) and yes we have a fantastic crop of youngsters but you know what ,, I think we are top heavy in this area be it we dont have enough mid 20s plus , harder bigger bodied players like Aspley do . and come finals time this showed us up as one of our weakness areas as the kids were blown off the park by the oppostion and this was also very evident in our reserve grade loss in the grand final to aspley last year as well ,,

As for the new coach, hes got some good credentials and I think O Briens time was up ( great job he did ) So the change will be good thing for the club and I bope he produces the goods with the list he has at hand ,

Aspley are still the ones for a 3 peat imo ,,,just to good a quality list and a list of great depth as well

I hear you but last season we lost more gun players then gained and thus were not as good a side as 2022,, Certainly my opinion was no way will we beat Aspley if that was to be the grand final playoff and to loose the The Grange after being 13 points up with about 4 minutes to go was totally unexpected ,,, ( well done the Grange ) ..
I feel our list this season is lesser in quality then 2023 ( going on what I know about gains and losses ) and yes we have a fantastic crop of youngsters but you know what ,, I think we are top heavy in this area be it we dont have enough mid 20s plus , harder bigger bodied players like Aspley do . and come finals time this showed us up as one of our weakness areas as the kids were blown off the park by the oppostion and this was also very evident in our reserve grade loss in the grand final to aspley last year as well ,,

As for the new coach, hes got some good credentials and I think O Briens time was up ( great job he did ) So the change will be good thing for the club and I bope he produces the goods with the list he has at hand ,

Aspley are still the ones for a 3 peat imo ,,,just to good a quality list and a list of great depth as well
Must also include the horrific injury list we suffered especially in the first 5 or 6 games ,, I remenber quoting ,, we wont be able to make the finals ,,, but we did and so did the ressies and the colts ,, so take my hat off here to all involved ,,

Interesting question Goalkicker ,,, would be good to get some feedback on this from fellow posters.
I would think depending on experience and where club is at financially but somewhere between $20K-$30K would be around the mark for a reasonably credentialed coach.

Obviously someone starting out at this level may be just under that mark I would think.

As you go down the divisions probably $5-10K for Div 1/2 based on same scenario.

Maybe off mark with coast sides and blokes like Boomer at Grange that had a club job/coaching gig which obviously a lot more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back