QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

So just saw a post from AFL Queensland on fb about the AFL’s goal of 1 million registered participants by 2033 and are happy to spend $1B to do so. Curious to know from any current or former presidents and anyone who’s been around a while on how to help SEQ footy and by extension, the rest of the country to reach that goal. I assume their aims would be at junior and youth age mostly.

So just saw a post from AFL Queensland on fb about the AFL’s goal of 1 million registered participants by 2033 and are happy to spend $1B to do so. Curious to know from any current or former presidents and anyone who’s been around a while on how to help SEQ footy and by extension, the rest of the country to reach that goal. I assume their aims would be at junior and youth age mostly.
Well they better spend a fair bit on building new grounds.
Some clubs are at full capacity now.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reducing youth/junior fees will certainly help them achieve their goal.It’s pretty much common knowledge that junior fees in QLD/NSW are far higher than other States due to them being’development AFL States’ whereby there are many paid staff employed.
I’m sure up graded facility spending is in the radar also.Plenty of grant help would be great also!

Reducing youth/junior fees will certainly help them achieve their goal.It’s pretty much common knowledge that junior fees in QLD/NSW are far higher than other States due to them being’development AFL States’ whereby there are many paid staff employed.
I’m sure up graded facility spending is in the radar also.Plenty of grant help would be great also!
Agree,, and must comment the growth of persons playing Aussie Rules in QLD over the past 5 years especially is enormous so full credit must be given to the powers of be and their implementation .. The NRL heirachy now have realised the growth in their own home patch ,, just ask Ben Ikin ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont get me wrong , that Panthers side was good but if you want to say who would win 10 years since 2014, Aspley would of defeated them for sure ,, to many big strong bodied super fit players with so much experience

If I was having a bet I’d tip palmy 2017-18 😛

Dont get me wrong , that Panthers side was good but if you want to say who would win 10 years since 2014, Aspley would of defeated them for sure ,, to many big strong bodied super fit players with so much experience

Just to add… pretty sure that morningside team would have a lot more experience than Aspley.

Upton, Tomlinson, Shelton, abey, Logan to name a few. And also big bodies

Not sure just throwing a bucket of cash at problem will fix it unless they get some better people involved running the league.

Current set up is that far detached from Clubs it’s embarrassing. QAFL Competition is going ahead with most of the Community Competitions but it’s only due to hard work by Clubs.

League is under staffed and doesn’t have the leadership to drive participation numbers to that level.

Based on increasing to the numbers mentioned some clubs will have over 2,000-3,000 players at their club. Not sure how sustainable with volunteers that will be.

Not sure just throwing a bucket of cash at problem will fix it unless they get some better people involved running the league.

Current set up is that far detached from Clubs it’s embarrassing. QAFL Competition is going ahead with most of the Community Competitions but it’s only due to hard work by Clubs.

League is under staffed and doesn’t have the leadership to drive participation numbers to that level.

Based on increasing to the numbers mentioned some clubs will have over 2,000-3,000 players at their club. Not sure how sustainable with volunteers that will be.
What percentage of player/junior fees do clubs keep?

If a club has 2000 players, they should be able to pay some staff.

What percentage of player/junior fees do clubs keep?

If a club has 2000 players, they should be able to pay some staff.

If a club has 2,000 players, they will need at least 4 ovals.

Only 1 club in all of South East Queensland has 4 Ovals (Maroochydore) and then Southport, Aspley, Sandgate and Moreton have 3.

Huge clubs like Grange and Sherwood only have 1, and Morningside kind of have 2.

Get the numbers away from these single ground clubs, and that solves half the issues.

One way to do that would be adopting the WAFL system of zoning, but the clueless staff at AFLQ wouldn't know where to start.

AFLQ need to step in and ensure facilities are being utlised to their capacity.

Conversely the monies AFLQ receive from the rego fees they can provide better support.
Apparently all the clubs requested more social media coverage and interviews etc in regards QAFL Competition not Brisbane Lions on our Facebook/Website as not supporting local footy enough.

Also need better coverage with live stream games and commentary.

Apparently all the clubs requested more social media coverage and interviews etc in regards QAFL Competition not Brisbane Lions on our Facebook/Website as not supporting local footy enough.

Also need better coverage with live stream games and commentary.
Good point SM. We all love and support the higher levels. Some more local social content would assist create more interest at our local grounds.

Still Me Before Christmas, I attended a casual catch-up session with AFLQ to talk about the code's local history and heritage. One of the suggestions we provided in our feedback was exactly this: the AFLQ website should include greater AFLQ content. (The AFL has their own website, and has no problem attracting publicity.)
Good to hear club reps are providing the same feedback. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back